• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTJ] Ask an ESTJ!

MetalMoon

As a scatter-brained, disorganised, rainbows-and-possiblities-and-what-ifs ENP user, do we drive you insane? I'm pretty sure my friend is ESTJ and I feel like he wants to kill me and rip out my intestines (sometimes) maybe that's just me, though.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hello again :hi:. I was wondering if you could explain how long term planning works for ESTJ’s? It is easy to find information on how NJ’s plan but there is a lot less on how SJ’s plan. Mainly I’m interested in the foresight part of long term planning how do you go about factoring in the variables and contingences?
I don't know about other ESTJs -- let me know your thoughts, [MENTION=15246]SD45T-2[/MENTION] -- but I tend to not be very good at foreseeing a wide variety of possible outcomes. I'm great at predicting the most likely two or three possible scenarios, but beyond that, not so much.

Which naturally leads to some elaboration: It's a lot more about Si, than it is about Ne, in long term planning scenarios. We're more about hard data, than inference and abstraction, so the farther ahead you get, the less comfortable we are with making predictions. Meaning, if you made us do it, we wouldn't likely be very good at it, because we haven't had a lot of practice, because we avoid practicing that particular skill (which I guess would be Ne-based, in our case). So, for long-term planning, we can make very general predictions based on our Si data (e.g. "In 10 years, I'll likely be in a well-paying job with potential for upward mobility, and will likely have either a long-term boyfriend or a husband, because those seem like reasonable and statistically likely outcomes") -- but getting more specific means having even MORE possible outcomes. Not so much fun!

Dunno if that answers your question. :unsure: Should I give an example?
I know ESTJs are suppsed to get along well with ISFPs...but questions remain. What are your experiences with this type, and, given that S is the only preference shared, how do they not drive you crazy (shoot me, I'm being an optimist here)?
I don't have a lot of experience with them. They're part of my general social circle trend, i.e. that I have a good number of ISxJ friends, a LOT of N friends, and almost no SP friends. From the ISFPs I know online, I think they're pretty cool -- very laid back (for the most part; not you, so much, because you're such a 6, but as a general rule I find that to be the case), very creative, and refreshing overall.

The typical Fi-dom vs. Te-dom conflicts may apply, i.e. from the Te side, the Fi-doms seem like they overreact easily and become unpredictable. It can scare us because 1) we like predictability and are generally scared of chaos, and 2) it reminds us too much of our own inferior Fi, and we project our perception of weak Fi onto their strong Fi. (I'm guessing you guys do the same thing with us.)
As a scatter-brained, disorganised, rainbows-and-possiblities-and-what-ifs ENP user, do we drive you insane? I'm pretty sure my friend is ESTJ and I feel like he wants to kill me and rip out my intestines (sometimes) maybe that's just me, though.
Firstly, thank you opeth for bringing this thread to 200 pages!! So unreal. I was in high school when I started this project... and here I am, still going. (Only an SJ would keep this shit up. :doh: :laugh:)

Next, to answer your question (which I am amused to find is the second "do we drive you crazy" question in a row :laugh: ): Having just gotten back from a week and a half of traveling alone through Europe with an ENFP, I can safely say that yes, you guys can drive me bonkers! But it's not because you're sunshine-and-rainbows idealistic, but is more because of what I was talking about earlier in this post, re: Fi conflicts. She and I got into a couple heated discussions, at times, where we stepped on each other's Fi and just had to sit and fume for a while because we knew further discussion would go nowhere and make us even more upset.

Also, in the context of my trip (not necessarily in the context of NFP/STJ friendships overall), I felt like I had to keep her on a leash at all times, because she kept wandering off and not telling me where she was going. :doh: If we hadn't been friends for so long, I'd have gotten even angrier, but in this case, I trusted her to be safe, so it wasn't a problem.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
is there a correlation to the fact that ESTJ can be rearranged to spell JETS and that's the name of the sport team? is it part of the conspiracy started by the ESTJs?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
is there a correlation to the fact that ESTJ can be rearranged to spell JETS and that's the name of the sport team? is it part of the conspiracy started by the ESTJs?
Classified. Security clearance required to proceed.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't know about other ESTJs -- let me know your thoughts, [MENTION=15246]SD45T-2[/MENTION] -- but I tend to not be very good at foreseeing a wide variety of possible outcomes. I'm great at predicting the most likely two or three possible scenarios, but beyond that, not so much.
Pretty much. When I was about 12 I starting saving money to buy a car. I still don't really have enough to buy a car, but it's better than nothing. :newwink:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ

Which naturally leads to some elaboration: It's a lot more about Si, than it is about Ne, in long term planning scenarios. We're more about hard data, than inference and abstraction, so the farther ahead you get, the less comfortable we are with making predictions. Meaning, if you made us do it, we wouldn't likely be very good at it, because we haven't had a lot of practice, because we avoid practicing that particular skill (which I guess would be Ne-based, in our case). So, for long-term planning, we can make very general predictions based on our Si data (e.g. "In 10 years, I'll likely be in a well-paying job with potential for upward mobility, and will likely have either a long-term boyfriend or a husband, because those seem like reasonable and statistically likely outcomes") -- but getting more specific means having even MORE possible outcomes. Not so much fun!

For years I have not been able to fathom why an ESTJ would be drawn to any INFJs. Is this part of it, as that's what INFJs specialize in? Or is that way off base? I know I appreciate the fact that ESTJs seem to know what they think about things right away and are very direct (something that I struggle with). They also seem to see basic structure in everything quite effortlessly and remember practical details that I tend to forget. So, I'm wondering if it's just a matter of appreciating the skills that each of us don't possess or if it's something quite different.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Pretty much. When I was about 12 I starting saving money to buy a car. I still don't really have enough to buy a car, but it's better than nothing. :newwink:
:laugh: Exactly -- perfect example.

That's why we're the tacticians, and the ENTJs are the strategists. I can't strategize worth a damn; When I play Risk, I usually play it like I could die at any moment: taking what I can get, when I can get it, and usually losing in a quick but dramatic and explosive fashion. :doh:
For years I have not been able to fathom why an ESTJ would be drawn to any INFJs. Is this part of it, as that's what INFJs specialize in? Or is that way off base? I know I appreciate the fact that ESTJs seem to know what they think about things right away and are very direct (something that I struggle with). They also seem to see basic structure in everything quite effortlessly and remember practical details that I tend to forget. So, I'm wondering if it's just a matter of appreciating the skills that each of us don't possess or if it's something quite different.
It's funny -- I feel like we've had this exact interchange before? You asking me what ESTJs could possible see in INFJs? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. (This thread is so goddamn long! :laugh: )

I'll see what I can do, though -- speaking from the path I take, as so/sx, when I make an INFJ friend.

When I've answered this question before, i.e. what ESTJs and INFJs see in each other, I've given a much shorter answer: both types tend to have similar moral codes (and tend to be equally devoted to those codes, and equally willing to fight for them), ESTJs like that INFJs are kind and loyal and nurturing and highly emotionally intelligent, and INFJs like that ESTJs are strong and reliable and aren't overly demanding of them. (INFJs seem very prone to being used by emotionally needy people -- and ESTJs are likely very refreshing by being the exact opposite, even if that opposite tendency can be unhealthy and stress the INFJ out in other ways.) Hopefully, though, a longer explanation will help at least a little bit in envisioning the bigger picture of how that chemistry works.

I'll use my INFJ college friend and church buddy, who is an INFJ of the sweet, quiet, and bookish variety, as an example. I'll start with literally how it happened, and then my reflections from after the fact.

I met her through church, and then kept running into her through mutual friends (who I had no idea were mutual), and then decided I'd get to know her better since we ran in the same circle -- and then, as it turned out, getting to know her was easy for me. I remembered having an initial impression of her as being soft-spoken to the point that I'd have to lean in, in order to understand her -- but at the same time, I found her incredibly interesting and funny.

In general, I think one of the reasons why I'm drawn to introverts (and sp-doms/seconds, who, as it turns out, make up a majority of my friend group), is that our pace of friendship works nearly perfectly -- if that makes sense. I'm a very independent person, and need a decent amount of space -- not for the sake of energy, but for the sake of maintaining a level of personal autonomy and agency over my own life -- so I don't think it would be arrogant to say that I have a natural knack at befriending introverts. I give them the space that I'd give myself, and I let them come to me, instead of forcing myself on them. So, as this is generally the way I befriend people, it's the way that I befriended this particular INFJ. (I think she appreciated that tactic, for reasons I will explain later.)

Another typical thing I do, with friends -- which is very so/sx of me -- is inferring deeper traits from early surface observations of people. It'd be interesting to know whether this is something other ESTJs do, because it's a process that a lot of people hate to hear about, and a process that has made me feel a bit robotic and alien amongst my peers. Sherlock Holmes says it best in an episode of "Elementary" (one of my new favorite shows): "It just so happens, people and all their deceits and illusions that inform everything that they do tends to be the most fascinating puzzles of all. Of course, they don't always appreciate being seen as such." In my case, though, I'm not exploring them just for the sake of solving a puzzle -- though I'm sure that's part of it, as I am incredibly interested in personality psychology (hence my membership here). I'm exploring them because I've found that it's the best way for me to really get to know people when I don't have an intuitive, feeling-based way of getting to know them. Digression aside, I befriended this INFJ while trying to get a good read on her, and found that under her reserved, quiet exterior was someone who shared with me almost every value I hold dear. We'd hardly need to talk about it -- it could all go unsaid. But I knew through our compatibility in humor and surface-level values that what was underneath meshed just as well.

We ran into a bit of a plateau part of the way through -- which, as it turns out, was my fault. (I've run into this with other NFJ friends, and I'm sure it's at least partially type-related.) I thought I'd hit a wall with her, i.e. a friendship line that she wasn't willing to cross. I thought she'd put me in a particular friendship zone that she wouldn't let me progress from. (I've seen that with other FJs -- especially SFJs.) I was waiting for her to open up, and she wasn't going anywhere. But I found out later, by inference, that she was waiting for the same thing from me. She wanted to care for me, because that's the role she likes to take in friendships, and I wasn't letting her do that. So, once I opened up to her a bit more, we grew much closer. (Fidelia, you may find this familiar, as you've told me things to the same effect before!)

My reflections from after the fact, as promised...
The "compatibility" I alluded to before was multifaceted; You suggested that it was related to skills that the other lacks, and I know that's part of it, but there's something deeper to it, as well, from my experience. I'd put it into three layers:
Surface layer: Shared interests, compatible sense of humor, "they're just fun to be around"
Middle layer: Appreciating the skills the other lacks (ESTJ ability to stay Te-focused no matter what, INFJ ability to read people and situations intuitively and with near-perfect accuracy)
Deeper layer: Shared worldview and shared life priorities​
I think INFJs and ESTJs, when they are compatible, are compatible because of their devotion to their values, to being pillars of the community, to doing The Right Thing, to striving for excellence and making a difference in the world. Hard work, diligence, idealism, courage in the face of adversity. Dedication and devotion to friends and family -- if necessary, to the point of self-sacrifice. These were the values that I saw in my INFJ friend, that I inferred from her everyday behavior.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How can ENFP's become willingly (and thats the key word) more organised?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How can ENFP's become willingly (and thats the key word) more organised?
Well, I guess it's a matter of being motivated, and what motivates ENFPs can depend on a lot of factors. I know some ENFPs who'd be motivated by seeing it as a challenge, daring themselves to do it and having to follow through with the dare. But those ENFPs all have 8 somewhere in their tritype, so I dunno how it would work for other ENFPs.

And regardless of type, it always helps to have someone else to hold you accountable, and maybe make suggestions as to how you could be more efficient while also making sure whatever organizational system you decide on is intuitive for you.

Does that help at all? :)

(Also, sorry about the essay earlier, [MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION] -- I hope it helped, at least a little!)

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dunno if that answers your question. :unsure: Should I give an example?

No I think I understand between you and SD45T-2, but Ill put it in an analogy to see. So it’s like you have two doors in front of you, and you have to choose which one having no idea what is behind either, trusting the information you have about said doors that is in front of you and your past experiences with doors? Immediate decisions for immediate action?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
(Also, sorry about the essay earlier, [MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION] -- I hope it helped, at least a little!)

Oh indeed it did. Sorry for my repetetiveness. I think part of it is that if I don't really understand something right away, it sits around (sometimes for years) until I am ready to revisit it and then it synthesizes better. If I can't summarize something to myself, it doesn't really make sense and then it doesn't stick. I appreciate you taking the time to do that. I have been away for awhile, and so just noticed this now.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My ESTJ seems to be (again!) at a cross-roads in his life. He seems to questioning why he is doing what he is doing, particularly in his relationship. A kind of "I work and I slave...what love do I get in return? Why am I doing this when it's no longer making me happy?" Like a Te burn-out?
He tries to compensate by finding things that make him feel good, usually something artistic (he's a pretty gifted musician and wonderfully creative) but I don't think it's helping him in the long-term.

Have you ever felt like this? Feeling like you're doing, going, marking off your check-list only to find there is nothing on there that has to do with your personal happiness? Or feel like you're the strong one helping everyone else out but when it's your turn, there's no one there for you?

W

WALMART

How often in person is your greatness recognized?

I have an ESTx friend that seems to be definitively known as the epitome of human engineering. I'm wondering if it's type related.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How often in person is your greatness recognized?

I have an ESTx friend that seems to be definitively known as the epitome of human engineering. I'm wondering if it's type related.
:laugh: It would be a bit self-serving and arrogant to say "yes" to this. Plus... although I do think that ESTJs are pretty impressively machinelike overall -- give self order to complete task, then complete task, rinse, repeat, endlessly -- there are way too many other factors to take into account.

As for the previous question... Friends and friendly coworkers do, enough that it's 100% certain where they stand. (They especially do this if I ever show a hint of self-doubt or humility.) But I don't exactly have random strangers come up to me, saying "You are a marvel of a person."
My ESTJ seems to be (again!) at a cross-roads in his life. He seems to questioning why he is doing what he is doing, particularly in his relationship. A kind of "I work and I slave...what love do I get in return? Why am I doing this when it's no longer making me happy?" Like a Te burn-out?
He tries to compensate by finding things that make him feel good, usually something artistic (he's a pretty gifted musician and wonderfully creative) but I don't think it's helping him in the long-term.

Have you ever felt like this? Feeling like you're doing, going, marking off your check-list only to find there is nothing on there that has to do with your personal happiness? Or feel like you're the strong one helping everyone else out but when it's your turn, there's no one there for you?
Your instinct is right that it's burnout. Telltale sign of inferior Fi rearing its ugly head in times of stress = feeling like no one cares about you, and you're fighting, endlessly and pointlessly, alone.

I think we dig our own grave in this regard. We work as hard as we can to provide for others without any willingness or consideration of allowing others to care for us -- see the above answer to [MENTION=15886]superunknown[/MENTION] (look how impressive we are! how do we DO it? well, not with any help from you folks!) -- so when we finally do need someone to lean on, we feel as if there's no one there. Maybe we're right, and we've built a structure based solely on our own efforts, to the point that there truly is no one around who is prepared to help. Or maybe we're wrong, and the only barrier is our own sense of pride.

From my experience with this feeling -- and boy, do I have experience with it -- it's a problem with a simple enough solution, which is to find yourself a parachute, or airbag, or other lifesaving metaphor. A mechanism or a person that can take over for you, so you don't feel like you're absolutely required to do everything. Or a person who you can lean on emotionally, who can give you strength in tough times, and who won't judge you for opening up to them.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How do you feel about ENTJs - does their general philosophy of constructivism (or in the evil ones destructivism) appeal or resonate with you?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How do you feel about ENTJs - does their general philosophy of constructivism (or in the evil ones destructivism) appeal or resonate with you?
How are you defining destructivism and constructivism?

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your instinct is right that it's burnout. Telltale sign of inferior Fi rearing its ugly head in times of stress = feeling like no one cares about you, and you're fighting, endlessly and pointlessly, alone.

I think we dig our own grave in this regard. We work as hard as we can to provide for others without any willingness or consideration of allowing others to care for us -- see the above answer to [MENTION=15886]superunknown[/MENTION] (look how impressive we are! how do we DO it? well, not with any help from you folks!) -- so when we finally do need someone to lean on, we feel as if there's no one there. Maybe we're right, and we've built a structure based solely on our own efforts, to the point that there truly is no one around who is prepared to help. Or maybe we're wrong, and the only barrier is our own sense of pride.

From my experience with this feeling -- and boy, do I have experience with it -- it's a problem with a simple enough solution, which is to find yourself a parachute, or airbag, or other lifesaving metaphor. A mechanism or a person that can take over for you, so you don't feel like you're absolutely required to do everything. Or a person who you can lean on emotionally, who can give you strength in tough times, and who won't judge you for opening up to them.

Thank you for this. I figured it was.

I think he's in a place where he is just going through the motions. Particularly with his SO. Doing the actions but his belief in them has slipped away. I asked how long could he keep this up and he said he'd know when he got there.

He has the same kind of arrogant-like thinking when it comes to problem solving (I'll blame it on us sharing the same strong family trait instead of MBTI :D ) that I do--"I can fix anything!" so it's hard to put something down when we're convinced we can make it work. It's shocking to realize that despite our force of will and right actions, we still may be powerless to make things okay.

He also spoke of how he has tried to tell some people he was really hurting and in need of support and they response was like, 'yeah sure you do!' What you wrote above definitely applies.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What are your life ambitions as an ESTJ?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Woo, delayed reply :doh:

What are your life ambitions as an ESTJ?

Won't even try to separate Enneagram and MBTI ambitions -- they mesh too much.

That being said... In no particular order:

- Do what I love
- Become The Best Person I Can Be (within reason)
- Make a tangible difference
- Be useful
- Be valued (personally and professionally)

Unless you wanted specifics, in which case the list would be MUCH longer.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have an ESTJ 1w2 father and we really can't seem to agree on anything... What would you say are some of the biggest differences between you and some of the ESFJs you know? Particularly in the way you view things like politics and various humanitarian issues?