• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTJ] Ask an ESTJ!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ms EJCC,

Are estjs typicaly aware of discord or confusion in teams they manage? Also, does an estj expect that everyone will be as extroverted as quickly as they are? My new estj boss is amazingly awesome, but i think she is confused as to why I dont just leap into action. For me, I need to build context before I ca make suggestions I have any confidence in...
Re: the first question, I think it depends on the ESTJ. This past weekend I went on a retreat with a student group that I'm a part of, and we spent half a day doing workshops on a test called StrengthsQuest, which ranks your natural tendency towards 34(?) strengths and gives you your top 5 or 10. My number one was "Harmony", which means that conflict is not my first choice and therefore I tend to look for areas of agreement and consensus. Not that I'm not willing to start a fight if it's necessary -- but I'd really rather not create bad feelings and discord. This is especially true for me since, as an ESTJ, I might not be able to think of good ways to fix the discord, so once I see it and am upset by it, I often shut down because I don't know how to respond.

In short, I'm very, very aware of discord, but I'm 99% sure that other ESTJs are different.

Re: your second question, I don't know if it's extroversion in general, but it's definitely Te. Just as everyone is prone towards expecting other people to act just like them, ESTJs tend to expect other people to use Te when solving problems, and just Get It Done-- instead of using Ti and carefully collecting all necessary information before acting. Have you tried voicing your uncertainty? The ESTJ would immediately understand where you're coming from if, in work situations, you ask questions to get any information you need. After all, I'm exactly the same way; if I have to do something I've never done before, I want to know how to do it perfectly before I even begin to try, because that builds up my non-existent confidence in getting the (new) job done well. So if someone else was in the same situation, I would relate to them immediately -- and I would be happy to answer their questions to the best of my ability, because I would want the job to be done well, and giving the best advice would lead to the best results.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Tamske, my entp friend notes that lists of tasks always make her feel like a "washing machine" doing things, but not things that actually amount to anything real? I dunno, as I dont identify with that, but for her it seems to be very real... Theoretically anything that engages Ne or Fe for you, should be most energizing, thus most easily accomplished. Perhaps rather than trying to motivate yourself from the Te/list of tasks perpsective, motivate by seeing the underlying value for your family each task can help support-Fe- or by seeing the possibilities that each task may open up for you-Ne? *Hugs*
Thanks Oro,
That washing machine picture is quite right. I don't feel rewarded after doing chores. I've been thinking about it on-and-off and it's more or less like this.
You've got things that need to be done and aren't rewarding, let's call them chores.
You've got things that you want to get done and are rewarding, let's call them projects.
I used to use the projects as a carrot for the chores "I mustn't write before I've done these errands". Which resulted in neither one being done. Or only the chores, to which my subconscious said "See, you've done nothing but chores today. Luckily you didn't start with them first!"
If I have a big list of chores, I subconsciously think "Don't begin with them, because you'll find you'll need more time than expected, leaving you no time at all for your projects" Of course, this is all subconscious, otherwise Ti would shoot that sort of thinking down in no time :) The conscious version of this is "while you're waiting, you can as well read a bit", which is no problem at all for Ti.
I'm now trying to bring the thinking into the conscious, looking at what I'm doing, and try to catch the error. Because putting off the chores leads to a worse thing than having done only chores - namely not having done chores NOR projects.
This Monday I've started with cleaning the bathroom, despite my subconscious fear that I'll be cleaning all day instead of three hours. I did clean more than planned - I found out how to remove some ugly stains, which meant I couldn't leave them, and thus meant more work. I felt cheated. If I had put it off until I had only two hours, the bathroom would be clean in two hours. (And not those stains removed, but that wouldn't feel like a problem then. It's only a problem if you know you CAN remove those stains. I used the word "feel" deliberately here.)
But still I wrote more than a thousand words on Monday. Which made my day. If I had put the work off, I wouldn't felt entitled to writing, and wouldn't have written anything. Thinking about that will, maybe, get me to do the chores first. And the projects afterwards!

When it went all wrong, I had a huge list of chores. Which didn't get done in the end. The longer the list, the more I'd have this fear that my day would be "nothing but chores" and the more I'd have the tendency to put them off. So now I try to have a short list for each day. I know our bedroom doesn't need cleaning yet, but I'll do it if I can avoid a "clean whole house" on my list. (<- whoa isn't this a J reasoning!)

I wrote 500+ words on Tuesday and 1000+ on Wednesday. So I'm still going strong, both on the writing and the chores. My Fe thanks you for the support. (My Ne is inventing stories, I won't bore you with them.)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a question about ESTJs, to ESTJs and people who know them well -- and it's kind of an "Is it just me?" question.

If you're talking to a pissed-off ESTJ and you try to lighten the mood, how do they usually react?

I ask because I have a really frustrating tendency to get more irritated when people try to lighten the mood. It makes things really awkward for everyone, and I'm the only person I know who reacts that way. I kind of think it's a gut reaction, interpreting their trying to lighten the mood as trying to make light of me, my opinions, my feelings, etc, and immediately taking it as an insult. "How dare you make light of this serious thing?? Shut up and LISTEN to me!!" -- but the thing is, that reaction is stupid, and I wish it would go away except that since it's instinctive, it's probably not something I can get rid of. And that could be because it's type-related? Maybe?

A

Anew Leaf

I have a question about ESTJs, to ESTJs and people who know them well -- and it's kind of an "Is it just me?" question.

If you're talking to a pissed-off ESTJ and you try to lighten the mood, how do they usually react?

I ask because I have a really frustrating tendency to get more irritated when people try to lighten the mood. It makes things really awkward for everyone, and I'm the only person I know who reacts that way. I kind of think it's a gut reaction, interpreting their trying to lighten the mood as trying to make light of me, my opinions, my feelings, etc, and immediately taking it as an insult. "How dare you make light of this serious thing?? Shut up and LISTEN to me!!" -- but the thing is, that reaction is stupid, and I wish it would go away except that since it's instinctive, it's probably not something I can get rid of. And that could be because it's type-related? Maybe?

Dear Shadow Self,

I am the same way too. When I dated my ENTP his first reaction was always to make some kind of joke to "lighten things up" when I wanted to have a SRS BSNS talk. That was just not a good idea....

:hug:
~The other side of you swamped in jello

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

:yes: I'm with you 100% here. It's perhaps the most infuriating thing ever. I read it as belittling my feelings, invalidating, telling me that what I find important isn't important. It's like telling me to "calm down", but on a much larger scale. :azdaja: I'll "get over it" when I get over it, thanks. :dont:

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:yes: I'm with you 100% here. It's perhaps the most infuriating thing ever. I read it as belittling my feelings, invalidating, telling me that what I find important isn't important. It's like telling me to "calm down", but on a much larger scale. :azdaja: I'll "get over it" when I get over it, thanks. :dont:

I've got to say though, I think ESTJs do this themselves not infrequently. (making a poorly timed joke to try and lighten things up.) I've seen it done instead of an apology, which would actually have been the appropriate thing. :dry:

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ I try not to do that precisely because I know I hate it so much :laugh:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh: Yep.
Dear Shadow Self,

I am the same way too. When I dated my ENTP his first reaction was always to make some kind of joke to "lighten things up" when I wanted to have a SRS BSNS talk. That was just not a good idea....

:hug:
~The other side of you swamped in jello
Dear shadow self,

:hug: Thanks! I'll bet it's an STJ/NFP (but not NTJ) thing. Fi up the wazoo. :yes:

- The other side of you now covered in jello and in need of a change of clothes

p.s. Where did all that jello come from, anyway? :huh:
:yes: Absolutely. This is part of the reasons why the debates/arguments I have with my INTJ friends tend to escalate so quickly; not only will they do that, but they will 1) be totally bewildered by my frustration because they didn't see it coming beforehand (either due to them being Fe-challenged, or due to my enneagram 1 anger-stealth, or both), and 2) accuse me of "getting too emotional about it". <-- You ever wonder why ESTJs hide their Fi? THIS is why. We see this coming a mile away.

Follow-up "Is it just me" question: Compared to NTJs, are ESTJs as likely to honestly believe that they're objective when they aren't? Because for the most part I am aware of my Fi and try to not talk about it -- which is why I avoid morality arguments, instead of bulldozing through them like "This is objective fact and not based on my Fi at all!!!!! How DARE you claim that it's my Fi!!"
^^ I try not to do that precisely because I know I hate it so much :laugh:
:yes: !!!!!

Those ESTJs need to learn to stop being so hypocritical. :sage:

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
:laugh: Yep.

Dear shadow self,

:hug: Thanks! I'll bet it's an STJ/NFP (but not NTJ) thing. Fi up the wazoo. :yes:

- The other side of you now covered in jello and in need of a change of clothes

p.s. Where did all that jello come from, anyway? :huh:

:yes: Absolutely. This is part of the reasons why the debates/arguments I have with my INTJ friends tend to escalate so quickly; not only will they do that, but they will 1) be totally bewildered by my frustration because they didn't see it coming beforehand (either due to them being Fe-challenged, or due to my enneagram 1 anger-stealth, or both), and 2) accuse me of "getting too emotional about it". <-- You ever wonder why ESTJs hide their Fi? THIS is why. We see this coming a mile away.

Follow-up "Is it just me" question: Compared to NTJs, are ESTJs as likely to honestly believe that they're objective when they aren't? Because for the most part I am aware of my Fi and try to not talk about it -- which is why I avoid morality arguments, instead of bulldozing through them like "This is objective fact and not based on my Fi at all!!!!! How DARE you claim that it's my Fi!!":yes: !!!!!

Those ESTJs need to learn to stop being so hypocritical. :sage:

Maybe you're special. In my experience, ESTJs are equally as likely to believe that they're honestly objective as NTJs. Basically, 99% of the time. Never mind that the Fi is usually coming out strong in both, and either is likely to start slinging the objectivity accusations when they feel their emotional danger zone being crossed by the other. It's like an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object: both are absolutely convinced that they're being scientific in their arguments, so by that token, the other must be emotionally deluded.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
are ESTJs as likely to honestly believe that they're objective when they aren't? Because for the most part I am aware of my Fi and try to not talk about it -- which is why I avoid morality arguments, instead of bulldozing through them like "This is objective fact and not based on my Fi at all!!!!! How DARE you claim that it's my Fi!!"

:laugh: I identify with this. For me it plays out as a tendency to become overly emotional in debates when things matter to me :violin: , a near-inability to understand why someone might have different religious/political beliefs from me (because mine are obviously OBJECTIVE FACT!!!111, lolz), and my insistence that I'm a realist when my INFP BFF says it's more like pessimism. :laugh:

A

Anew Leaf

:laugh: I identify with this. For me it plays out as a tendency to become overly emotional in debates when things matter to me :violin: , a near-inability to understand why someone might have different religious/political beliefs from me (because mine are obviously OBJECTIVE FACT!!!111, lolz), and my insistence that I'm a realist when my INFP BFF says it's more like pessimism. :laugh:

wow, i am more similar to ESTJs than previously thought! :shocking:

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^^ :laugh: This is not a huge surprise. I've said this before somewhere, but my INFP BFF and I often come to the same conclusions from completely different places. It makes sense to me!

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hi EJCC! :bye:

I have questions relating to tertiary Ne and inferior Fi in ESTJs. In what ways do these manifest in you? Do they ever have an effect on that ESTJ pragmatism? Can they blind your decision-making or get you carried away with overly-idealistic dreams?

The reason I ask is, I have a ESTJ Auntie, whom I love, but has some rather annoying issues, particularly relating mainly to these functions. She is rather easily enamoured with the idea of something regardless of the practicality of it and whether she will genuinely like/enjoy/value it in reality. There are many examples of this but here are a few:

1. She gets caught up in every food or health fad that comes along and proclaims each one as revolutionary and raves about how everything will be magically fixed by it. While I am open minded to alternative forms of medicine etc to a degree, almost all of these have next to no basis in science and often sound like total snake oil to me. However, she just loves the idea that she is up with the play and ahead of the curve and that she can tell everyone about it. When you (politely) question the validity of these 'cures', she remains 100% convinced and provides some rather lame arguments for them that often consist of something along how she "saw this thing on Oprah".
2. She has become slightly pretentious and snobby the last few years. She likes to have friends who are wealthy, important or have lives she can indirectly boast about in stories she tells about them. It's not so much that she actually likes these people better, its the idea of them that pleases her.
3. She boasts (not obnoxiously but slightly pointedly) about qualities her children have. Of course it is natural to do this to some degree but often it's not really that she finds these qualities intrinsically admirable - it's about how special and interesting they seem - such as, her son being fluent in German.
4. She has these big dream ideas that are completely impractical and unrealistic. For example my family own a beach house with her family (and with my Dad's 2 other brother's families) and the house behind ours was for sale. She had this scheme of buying it to have for when her kids grow up so they could bring their families (BTW her kids are 17, 15, and with twin 11 year olds). She doesn't think that all that is YEARS away and that her kids might actually want to spent their holiday's elsewhere or even that we might sell our beach house eventually or even that the other house will likely cost a fortune to buy anyway.

As a disclaimer, I know several ESTJs who don't do this at all (who in fact don't give flying f*ck about such things :D ) so I don't attribute this to the type in general, perhaps only as a potential nuance within it. :thinking:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Yep that's familiar :laugh:

My ESTJ sister need validation when she's pissed-off - the worst thing you can do is belittle her feelings. You could yell at her or call her names and she can handle it but tell her she's being ridiculous and OTT (either directly or indirectly) and you'd better run for cover. :ng_mad::azdaja::angry:

I do understand the desire to defuse the tension somehow. When my sister is getting mad in public, I'm often trying to calm the situation so she doesn't start unleashing on others. It makes everyone extremely uncomfortable and often people will think she's a crazy bitch (which she isn't) and I'd rather protect her from that image.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Missed this post!
Maybe you're special. In my experience, ESTJs are equally as likely to believe that they're honestly objective as NTJs. Basically, 99% of the time. Never mind that the Fi is usually coming out strong in both, and either is likely to start slinging the objectivity accusations when they feel their emotional danger zone being crossed by the other. It's like an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object: both are absolutely convinced that they're being scientific in their arguments, so by that token, the other must be emotionally deluded.
I'm probably just in denial. :laugh: I'll bet I do the same thing and don't realize it because I haven't introspected enough about it.

It does explain why I hate debating INTJs, though. :yes:
wow, i am more similar to ESTJs than previously thought! :shocking:
cough Fi cough
:cheese:
Hi EJCC! :bye:

I have questions relating to tertiary Ne and inferior Fi in ESTJs. In what ways do these manifest in you? Do they ever have an effect on that ESTJ pragmatism? Can they blind your decision-making or get you carried away with overly-idealistic dreams?
Before I answer this, I'm going to nitpick your aunt a little :yes:
1. She gets caught up in every food or health fad that comes along and proclaims each one as revolutionary and raves about how everything will be magically fixed by it. While I am open minded to alternative forms of medicine etc to a degree, almost all of these have next to no basis in science and often sound like total snake oil to me. However, she just loves the idea that she is up with the play and ahead of the curve and that she can tell everyone about it. When you (politely) question the validity of these 'cures', she remains 100% convinced and provides some rather lame arguments for them that often consist of something along how she "saw this thing on Oprah".
I don't relate to this. I think this comes from her having different standards of what constitutes a "trustworthy source". I for one have not trusted Oprah since she started believing "The Secret". I'll believe those fads when someone like the New York Times, the Washington Post, NPR, (Wired magazine?), etc. tells me they're real. :yes:
2. She has become slightly pretentious and snobby the last few years. She likes to have friends who are wealthy, important or have lives she can indirectly boast about in stories she tells about them. It's not so much that she actually likes these people better, its the idea of them that pleases her.
I don't relate to status obsession. :dont: I wasn't really raised with it. But I can see that it would be cool to have rich friends, if you really wanted them and finally had them. If I had a cool new thing for the first time, I'd probably brag about it too.
3. She boasts (not obnoxiously but slightly pointedly) about qualities her children have. Of course it is natural to do this to some degree but often it's not really that she finds these qualities intrinsically admirable - it's about how special and interesting they seem - such as, her son being fluent in German.
:huh: I'm confused by this complaint. Is this irritating to you? Also -- how are special and interesting traits not admirable? If I think something is really special and interesting, then I think it's worth bragging about, because I want everyone else to know how cool it is. I put admirable things in the same category. Anything that makes you go "Holy cow, are you serious?!?" as a result.

I ask because I didn't realize that that sort of enthusiasm turned people off. :unsure:
4. She has these big dream ideas that are completely impractical and unrealistic. For example my family own a beach house with her family (and with my Dad's 2 other brother's families) and the house behind ours was for sale. She had this scheme of buying it to have for when her kids grow up so they could bring their families (BTW her kids are 17, 15, and with twin 11 year olds). She doesn't think that all that is YEARS away and that her kids might actually want to spent their holiday's elsewhere or even that we might sell our beach house eventually or even that the other house will likely cost a fortune to buy anyway.
Are you sure she was serious? Sometimes when my Ne is active I'll say things like "How cool would it be if...", but I won't actually mean it, and I won't plan on following up on it. I'll just think that the hypothetical scenario is fun. If your aunt really cared about it, she'd probably have followed up on it, called the realtor, asked the kids, etc. Because that's how ESTJs do those things. But if she made the statement and then did nothing and said very little about it later, then she was just being silly. :)

Now to answer your question: As you can tell by my responses, my Ne usually shows up with random ideas, silly thoughts, hypotheticals, big ideas, and LOTS OF ENTHUSIASM. :holy: The most that my Ne ever gets in the way of my pragmatism is if I suddenly get the notion to buy all the materials necessary for a project, and then get bored with the idea and regret buying the stuff. Pretty much every "impulse buy" I've made in recent years has been due to Ne: "OMG HOW COOL IS THAT LET'S GET IT!" But for the most part, my Ne is effectively controlled by my Te. I don't let it get too out of control.

I don't really connect my Ne to my Fi in that regard, though. My Ne doesn't get used to dream idealistic dreams -- unless I'm in a silly mood, and I go "What if the world was made of candy corn..." :laugh: Usually when my Ne is prominent, it's in the form of an Ne-Te loop: having an idea for doing a cool thing, and then doing the cool thing. Makes for LOTS of study distractions -- but not really dreams of world peace.

Yep that's familiar :laugh:

My ESTJ sister need validation when she's pissed-off - the worst thing you can do is belittle her feelings. You could yell at her or call her names and she can handle it but tell her she's being ridiculous and OTT (either directly or indirectly) and you'd better run for cover. :ng_mad::azdaja::angry:

I do understand the desire to defuse the tension somehow. When my sister is getting mad in public, I'm often trying to calm the situation so she doesn't start unleashing on others. It makes everyone extremely uncomfortable and often people will think she's a crazy bitch (which she isn't) and I'd rather protect her from that image.
I relate to all of this. The bolded is an especially interesting insight -- because since I don't know anyone else irl who is like that, and no one I'm friends with relates to it (one of my only fights with my ENFJ friend started when he got angry with me for "overreacting" to him teasing me when I was embarrassed), I do usually feel like a crazy bitch when I react that way. It's part of why I hate that the reaction is instinctive. I don't want to act like a crazy bitch. I don't want to be seen as that, because -- like you said -- I'm not one.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ESTJ females:

How do you reconcile in your head the traditional female role (since you are Si traditionalists) with your desire to tell your partner what to do cause it's the right thing (Te)?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ESTJ females:

How do you reconcile in your head the traditional female role (since you are Si traditionalists) with your desire to tell your partner what to do cause it's the right thing (Te)?
If there has been one theme on this thread, throughout its history, it has been that "tradition" is a subjective term. I'm a female ESTJ, and because I wasn't raised in an environment where gender roles mattered, and because I don't live in a community where gender roles matter, I just don't care about them. I don't reconcile my Te with gender roles, because I have accepted the fact that my personality (not my personality type, but my personality as a whole) can't really function in the construct of gender roles.

If my partner can't handle my Te, then too bad for him. :laugh: If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
(...)
:huh: I'm confused by this complaint. Is this irritating to you? Also -- how are special and interesting traits not admirable? If I think something is really special and interesting, then I think it's worth bragging about, because I want everyone else to know how cool it is. I put admirable things in the same category. Anything that makes you go "Holy cow, are you serious?!?" as a result.

I ask because I didn't realize that that sort of enthusiasm turned people off. :unsure:

Are you sure she was serious? Sometimes when my Ne is active I'll say things like "How cool would it be if...", but I won't actually mean it, and I won't plan on following up on it. I'll just think that the hypothetical scenario is fun. If your aunt really cared about it, she'd probably have followed up on it, called the realtor, asked the kids, etc. Because that's how ESTJs do those things. But if she made the statement and then did nothing and said very little about it later, then she was just being silly. :)

Now to answer your question: As you can tell by my responses, my Ne usually shows up with random ideas, silly thoughts, hypotheticals, big ideas, and LOTS OF ENTHUSIASM. :holy: The most that my Ne ever gets in the way of my pragmatism is if I suddenly get the notion to buy all the materials necessary for a project, and then get bored with the idea and regret buying the stuff. Pretty much every "impulse buy" I've made in recent years has been due to Ne: "OMG HOW COOL IS THAT LET'S GET IT!" But for the most part, my Ne is effectively controlled by my Te. I don't let it get too out of control.

I don't really connect my Ne to my Fi in that regard, though. My Ne doesn't get used to dream idealistic dreams -- unless I'm in a silly mood, and I go "What if the world was made of candy corn..." :laugh: Usually when my Ne is prominent, it's in the form of an Ne-Te loop: having an idea for doing a cool thing, and then doing the cool thing. Makes for LOTS of study distractions -- but not really dreams of world peace.
Huh.
The first bolded would mean I'm a total bore. I'm enthousiastic about just anything. If you have a problem with that, please just go away. Otherwise, let's swap cupcake recipes!
The second bolded. You really think you need a Te to get into doing cool things? Just imagining isn't enough for my Ne - it's extraverted, you know, it wants to interact with the real world. I don't need Te to start huge projects... I need it to complete them!!

About ESTJs and tradition: I think you're quite able to establish new traditions. Traditions don't need to come from what society expects from you. Si has got the supporting role: goals are easier to reach if you know how to get to them.
On the whole, I think ESTJs are contented people. They're easily satisfied with how things are done. If they are not, you'll get the whole Te-I'll-reach-this-whatever-it-takes.