• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTJ] Ask an ESTJ!

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why would an ESTJ offer to drive you to the airport when you didn't even hint around for a lift, give you his mom's sleeping drops to help you through the flight because you're phobic, sit with you at the airport until 1:30 in the morning, give your hand a comforting squeeze when he left...and then decide to start dating someone else a month later?

Oh hells, I'm still a little hung up about this, apparently! :shock:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:huh: I'm not sure what you mean. I think I need context for this comment.

Do we ever! :laugh: I trip on cracks in the sidewalk all the time. I'm usually totally deaf to people trying to get my attention, when I'm walking somewhere. And I can walk past a great big sign every day for weeks at a time without even seeing it. I just get so lost in thought, and so focused, when I'm going somewhere...

OMG You too??? That's so funny. So do I! hahaha <333 Yay, I'm not the only one.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ESTJ and I were having a discussion. I was having an issue with him fussing over me. I've been single for six years and have had no trouble taking care of myself so when I wanted to walk out to my car at midnight and fix it (real quick fix. I had just found the answer to what I needed to do online and was excited to see if it would work) he sort of said, "no. you're not going outside at this hour". "Uh...excuse me, DAD?....yes, I am. You can go with me if you're that worried." Anyway, I went without him and the fix worked but his "order" bothered me and when I came back I wanted to leave for a bit and drive around. This is something I do when I need some space and someone is annoying me and I can't get away.

ESTJ was confused and knew something was bothering me and asked me what was wrong. I told him that for 32 years I've been taking care of myself just fine without him in my life and now that he is I felt he's trying to take away some of my independence and I didn't like it. We sat down and talked and he basically said that he cares a lot about me and he's not trying to take anything away from me but that if something happened to me on his watch he'd never forgive himself and he worries about me. He almost got a little emotional and then he said that "he was on the edge of more than just liking me". I just told him that every once in a while I'm going to need some space and he needs to give it too me without pouting.

Anyway, I was surprised to hear his admittance of almost love? :laugh:
Awwwwwwwwwww. :wub: That's so great. What a sweet guy.

I totally relate to both of you in that situation. :yes: And jsyk: we're very quick learners about that sort of thing. I can almost guarantee -- since he cares that much about you and seems like a healthy and relatively issue-free ESTJ, from what you've said about him -- that he will learn from that experience and not nag you as much anymore. I mean, you'll always get this sort of interaction:

ESTJ: Are you going to do ___?
You: Yes.
ESTJ: Are you sure? (insert concern here)
You: Yes, because (insert explanation here)
ESTJ: ...Okay, I trust you.

So far as I know, there's no way to keep an ESTJ from being at least a little bit inquisitive about those things; I think it's our Ne that makes us want to question things we don't understand, and make sure that Te doesn't have to step in to fix a problem -- because if it isn't a problem, why fix it? It's actually pretty good evidence that your ESTJ is well-adjusted; if he was the tyrannical type of ESTJ, he probably wouldn't even accept your explanation, and would boss you around, because his way was the only way. Thank god for our tertiary Ne, right? :laugh:
Why would an ESTJ offer to drive you to the airport when you didn't even hint around for a lift, give you his mom's sleeping drops to help you through the flight because you're phobic, sit with you at the airport until 1:30 in the morning, give your hand a comforting squeeze when he left...and then decide to start dating someone else a month later?

Oh hells, I'm still a little hung up about this, apparently! :shock:
Oh jeez. Is this the same guy you were asking about before? Who was seemingly leading you on but just thought of you as a great, platonic friend? I am so sorry. :hug:

To answer your question (even though it was probably hypothetical :laugh:), it's because we're like that with everyone we care about, regardless of whether they're family, close friends, or significant others.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[edited] I just need to get past stuff...I picked the wrong type to be if I want to do that, apparently ;) thanks EJCC! :)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes. He is stubborn as hell (we both are) but he is a very good person and I"m happy with him.
I'm glad. :cheers: Here's to the two of you!

Idec Sdawkminn

MBTI Type
EPIC
I don't know if this or something similar has been asked here, but there are a lot of pages to read. Anyway, how would an xNTP like I believe myself to be get on better terms with an ESTJ? I'm pretty certain my co-worker who is twice my age is one. I can probably come up with theoretical solutions, but I'm looking for something that would be reasonable for an xNTP to be able to consistently do. We currently butt heads a lot. I can give more information and examples if you would like.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know if this or something similar has been asked here, but there are a lot of pages to read. Anyway, how would an xNTP like I believe myself to be get on better terms with an ESTJ? I'm pretty certain my co-worker who is twice my age is one. I can probably come up with theoretical solutions, but I'm looking for something that would be reasonable for an xNTP to be able to consistently do. We currently butt heads a lot. I can give more information and examples if you would like.
More information and examples would be excellent. :yes: After all, there are many very different ways that an xNTP and an ESTJ could butt heads.

Idec Sdawkminn

MBTI Type
EPIC
I have a blog entry about it when I was venting. I'll copy from that:

He's the telephony guy at the place I work at and I'm helpdesk. He likes reminding me that he has 30+ years experience in telephony and he can't teach 30+ years experience. Ever since I started, he's always had a problem with me. I don't know his type, but I guess ESxJ. My wife (we believe ISFJ) says he just doesn't like me and uses any excuse he can to blame me for something.

One time, ONE TIME, I played a joke on him. I remotely placed a Mexican song on his computer and set it to play instead of the "click" sound that Internet Explorer makes when starting to load a page. Ever since then, whenever ANYTHING goes wrong on his computer, one of the things out of his mouth is "you're not messing with me and making this happen, right?" Yeah, Doug, I'm really going to make your email repeatedly fail to connect to the server so you can't get your email and bug me all day about it. That's a really funny joke. I tell him that I played ONE joke on him and that I'll never make that mistake again, but each time something happens he always suspects me as one of the possible causes.

He used to complain to our boss about things he heard all the time from other people in the company, like how they didn't get their computer fixed right away. He's stopped because our boss never did anything about it and when I'd ask our boss about it, he'd say that he has his own opinions of people and doesn't let other people make that decision for him.

He's also very controlling. He acts like my boss when he's not. When he hears of a computer problem someone is having, he understandably informs me of it since he knows next to nothing about computers. However, he doesn't just inform me. He proceeds to tell me that I need to help them fix it and to call them right away. He doesn't care what I'm working on at the time. He sometimes settles for me calling them soon, but keeps checking back with me to see if I helped them yet and gets all aggressive and accusatory if I haven't. He says that since he was the point of contact, he is responsible for making sure it gets done, or he'll look bad for my shortcomings. He also dislikes how I sit at my desk all day and do the vast majority of tech support over the phone or remotely connecting to people's computers. I'm sure he believes I should be out and about all over fixing everything in person. Yeah, maybe that wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to manage servers and domain settings and everything else computer-related in the company.

But one thing that really bugs me is our difficulty in communication. He will come in my office and ask me a very direct, accusatory-toned question about something. I immediately feel defensive and have difficulty figuring out how to answer it.

"Did you fix so-and-so's problem?"
well, i tried something and i'm not sure if it fixed it, but it didn't happen again when i was there, but they said it doesn't always happen every time, so i said to let me know if it happened again, and i just got an email from them saying it just happened again, but i'm working on someone else's problem right now that is more important... how the fuck do i answer this question? "I tried something, but it didn't fix it, so-"
"So you just left it unfinished? You know, you really need to finish what you start and not leave people hanging. Finish one thing at a time."

Then it just turns into me making defensive statements and him saying I'm not answering his questions and trying to avoid the situation. The most common things he says that I hate are "that didn't answer my question" and "you sound just like a politician." He also always accuses me of giving him little bits of information to his questions and making him fish and fish for more information to get his question answered. I feel like I gave him a perfectly satisfactory answer, but it always confuses him and he accuses me of playing word games with him and trying to avoid answering him.

What sparked this thread was what happened yesterday. Last week I had just set up a temporary remote location where I set up a kiosk computer for the majority of our employees there to use for checking email and stuff. He had to go there yesterday to do some telephony stuff. He called me and this is almost exactly how the conversation went:

Me: Hey, Doug.
Him: Hey. Why is the kiosk password-protected?
Me: Uh... it shouldn't be...
Him: Well it is. What's the password?
Me: I don't remember there being a password on it.
(from here on he maintains a loud, upset voice)
Him: You need to remember these things! How did you get into it?
Me: I just pressed Enter with no password.
Him: I tried that and it won't work. Just tell me what password I need to get into it.
Me: Well, try "password1". That's what they are usually set to.
Him: What did you use to get into it?
Me: I told you, I didn't put one in.
Him: Then how did you get in?
Me: I just pressed Enter without a password.
Him: But that's impossible. It wouldn't have changed between then and now.
Me: I'm not sure, but try "password1".
Him: I'm not going to play your game of "try this, try that". I'm not going to play that game. Just tell me what password I need to get into it.
Me: I don't know what the password is for it.
Him: Weren't you the one who set it up?
Me: Yeah.
Him: Then you should know. What did you use to get into it?
Me: I didn't need a password to get into it, but "password1" is the one we usually use.
Him: Do I need to call someone else? Would calling someone else get me what I need?
Me: Uh... I don't--
Him: Do I need to call Ed? (our boss) Do I need to call Ed and tell him you are unwilling to help me?
Me: No, Ed wouldn't know the password. And I'm trying to help you. Try "password1". That's most likely what it is.
Him: ............it didn't work.
Me: Is the domain set to (our domain name)?
Him: No.
Me: Set it to that and try "password1".
(his voice finally became calm)
Him: Okay, so how do we get rid of the password so the people here don't have to sign into it? Otherwise we'll be getting called every 10 minutes.
Me: So the password worked?
Him: Yes. How do I tell if there's an internet connection without going to the internet?
Me: Well, it should be plugged into the Ethernet cable coming out of the wall, so it should be connected.
Him: I'm in the middle of a grass field!
Me: You are? You're not at Redmond?
Him: No, I'm at the Bend location.
Me: Oh, I thought you were at Redmond. The one in Redmond doesn't have a password. No wonder I didn't know what password you were talking about.
(the rest was short and irrelevant and I don't remember it)

But the part that really confused and irritated me was:

Him: Do I need to call Ed? Do I need to call Ed and tell him you are unwilling to help me?

Really? Call Ed? Where the fuck does he get that I'm unwilling to help him? Does he really think I was withholding the answer from him because I wanted to make him upset? Why would I want to waste my time on the phone with him just to do that? Why is his initial assumption that I'm intentionally being difficult?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTP versus ESTJ:

ENTP: I'll try to get the floor wiped by Friday.
By Friday, the floor wasn't done. I meant: wiping the floor was the goal I was striving at. I knew all sorts of other things needed to be done first, like clean the kitchen, dusting, and of course putting things on their right place. All this costs a lot of time and energy and aren't the things that I want to do, because I see that floor being dirty and want that clean.
ESTJ wasn't amused. Why say you're going to wipe the floor and not do it? If you knew you wouldn't get at that task, why didn't you say so? Why didn't you say: "I'll put the rubbish away, then I'll dust and clean the kitchen" because, that's what you did!
This ENTP needed to get the goal into her mind before she was able to begin all those other things. Moreover, I didn't want to think about all those other things, not talk about them, just do them.
Maybe, next time, I'll say: "I'll strive to wipe the floor, but you see there's lots of other things that need to get done first, so maybe I'll not get to the floor"?

Another ENTP-ESTJ conflict during the same cleaning:
I wanted to do the mental work of checking grammar and spelling in my novel, too, and I wanted to alternate between that and the physical work of cleaning. ESTJ didn't think that as work, and I should put work before play! But I don't agree with that. In principle, yes, of course, you've got to put work before play. It's the sensible thing to do, the right work-ethic, etc. BUT. I'm certain that, if I'm allowed to alternate, both things would get done more efficiently than if I had to clean first and check grammar later. I just can't clean for more than a few hours. And I can't check grammar in one sitting, either. So alternating is the solution. Of course, the CLEANING would get done earlier if I did it first - and that's the thing that counts for the ESTJ. Grammar checking is not "work" because it doesn't need to be done. To the ENTP, it IS work, because it's boring.

Edit, thought about another ENTP-ESTJ clash.
ESTJ went to supermarket. I felt like a huge brunch and went to the baker's. I was preparing chocolate milk when hubby came home. Baby was making quite some noise in the living room.
Me: I'm in the kitchen. I've went to the baker's already so no need to worry about that! (proud)
He: you know fully well that I can't understand you when baby's making noise. And why did you go to the baker's? I planned to do that together now! And I see you're making chocolate milk for me but really you should not talk to me when I can't hear you.
Me: I just said I was here, what's the big problem?
He: I didn't know you'd go to the baker's already, you didn't tell me. We need to buy some more bread because the baker's closed next week.
Me: Er... we can go back, you know. It's not that far.
A bit later he was calmed down and he confessed: "I was actually angry at myself, I've thought about warning about buying extra bread for days and I'm too late now."
I get it, more or less, but... to me there was never any problem. There isn't a law forbidding us to go twice to the baker's in one day.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
He's the telephony guy at the place I work at and I'm helpdesk. He likes reminding me that he has 30+ years experience in telephony and he can't teach 30+ years experience. Ever since I started, he's always had a problem with me. I don't know his type, but I guess ESxJ. My wife (we believe ISFJ) says he just doesn't like me and uses any excuse he can to blame me for something.
I honestly think she's wrong about the second part of that -- although it's obvious that he doesn't like you, he is definitely not out to get you. That isn't really how ESTJs operate. I would argue that we aren't vengeful people by nature, although it probably depends on enneatype, a little bit (e.g. I could see an ESTJ 3 being pretty vengeful).

One time, ONE TIME, I played a joke on him. I remotely placed a Mexican song on his computer and set it to play instead of the "click" sound that Internet Explorer makes when starting to load a page. Ever since then, whenever ANYTHING goes wrong on his computer, one of the things out of his mouth is "you're not messing with me and making this happen, right?" Yeah, Doug, I'm really going to make your email repeatedly fail to connect to the server so you can't get your email and bug me all day about it. That's a really funny joke. I tell him that I played ONE joke on him and that I'll never make that mistake again, but each time something happens he always suspects me as one of the possible causes.
I actually relate to his frustration and distrust; I would react similarly, though not as extremely. I freaking HATE being pranked, and if other ESTJs are like me, then they would too, because ESTJs hate being humiliated, they hate being made fun of, they hate losing their dignity -- especially in an obvious way, like that, in front of other people whose respect they want to earn. Even the nice kind of pranking, like being surprised for your birthday, can be frustrating, because it requires people lying to you and tricking you beforehand. It can be hard to let go of the fact that your birthday was ignored and disrespected, even if it only appeared that way.

Also (and this might not be type-related?), I tend to see people who regularly play pranks as being untrustworthy. It's doing something behind your back, in the hopes of humiliating you in public and then laughing at you -- which is very hurtful! I see them in almost the same light as I see compulsive liars. I don't mean this as an insult to you, because I know a lot of it is irrational, and my problem.

Regarding the part I bolded: I, and probably other ESTJs as well, don't see those two things as being any more or less funny than each other. They both seem, from a sensitive ESTJ perspective, like hijacking and humiliation.

He used to complain to our boss about things he heard all the time from other people in the company, like how they didn't get their computer fixed right away. He's stopped because our boss never did anything about it and when I'd ask our boss about it, he'd say that he has his own opinions of people and doesn't let other people make that decision for him.
I'm on the ESTJ's side, here. If something's going wrong, someone has to report it, right? The ESTJ is just trying to be a good citizen and a good employee. Frankly, if the boss doesn't listen to the employees when they have complaints, but instead says "I have my opinions and you have yours", that's dictatorial and undemocratic and just not good boss behavior.
He's also very controlling. He acts like my boss when he's not. When he hears of a computer problem someone is having, he understandably informs me of it since he knows next to nothing about computers. However, he doesn't just inform me. He proceeds to tell me that I need to help them fix it and to call them right away. He doesn't care what I'm working on at the time. He sometimes settles for me calling them soon, but keeps checking back with me to see if I helped them yet and gets all aggressive and accusatory if I haven't. He says that since he was the point of contact, he is responsible for making sure it gets done, or he'll look bad for my shortcomings. He also dislikes how I sit at my desk all day and do the vast majority of tech support over the phone or remotely connecting to people's computers. I'm sure he believes I should be out and about all over fixing everything in person. Yeah, maybe that wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to manage servers and domain settings and everything else computer-related in the company.
I relate to this to a degree. Obviously he's being ignorant, and not caring that he's ignorant. But I relate to the bolded. It's definitely an ESTJ tendency to supervise things and be very certain that everything is being done the way it should be -- ESPECIALLY if the ESTJ has a personal stake in the matter. And it doesn't help that he distrusts you. If he trusted you, he would go a little easier on you, I think.
Then it just turns into me making defensive statements and him saying I'm not answering his questions and trying to avoid the situation. The most common things he says that I hate are "that didn't answer my question" and "you sound just like a politician." He also always accuses me of giving him little bits of information to his questions and making him fish and fish for more information to get his question answered. I feel like I gave him a perfectly satisfactory answer, but it always confuses him and he accuses me of playing word games with him and trying to avoid answering him.
A common Ti vs. Te communication issue. :yes: His accusing you of consciously withholding information from you is stupid and paranoid, but the rest is pretty predictable. You, as a Ti dom, were coming from a position where you weren't sure how to give an accurate picture of the situation without explaining in either perfect or near-perfect detail, because all information is potentially relevant. But he, as a Te dom, was expecting you to give him a direct and straightforward answer -- like in Journalism class, where one of the first things you learn is to give the most important information of the story in your first paragraph, and then continue in reverse order of importance. That's Te.

Here are some relevant posts, relating to that. :)
Really? Call Ed? Where the fuck does he get that I'm unwilling to help him? Does he really think I was withholding the answer from him because I wanted to make him upset? Why would I want to waste my time on the phone with him just to do that? Why is his initial assumption that I'm intentionally being difficult?
Because he was very, very angry. :yes: Reading that dialogue was interesting to me, because it confirms how I come across when I'm very angry, i.e. aggressively matter-of-fact. I can almost guarantee that everything about him seeming accusatory was from his anger at the situation -- not his anger at you. Te under stress can turn ExTJs from decent people into armed military vehicles, storming through the city, mowing down everything in their path. The task MUST GET DONE, the thing MUST GET FIXED, and it's too frustrating and all-consuming to give the ExTJ enough energy to maintain their ever-present facade of politeness. And with most ESTJs (not me as much, because I've started catching myself when I think this way), if something goes horribly wrong, it is absolutely not their fault. Obviously the ESTJ is doing everything in their power to fix it, and obviously they are completely in the right, and the world is against them. I remember when I was a kid, whenever I would lose something, my first thought was always that someone stole it. Same kind of thought process.

EDIT: To answer your question, regarding how to get on better terms with him, I would advise that you

1) Try to be as direct with him as he is with you -- not regarding your feelings, but regarding work-related things. (For example, if he says "Why aren't you getting this done now?", just say "I have to do these two things first, but as soon as they're done, I'll deal with it, and I'll get back to you." Directness is the ESTJ's language; it may seem accusatory to you, but for the most part, we're fine with it when we're in your position. I have yet to see an ESTJ who had been made uncomfortable by being relentlessly questioned about something.)
2) Do as best you can about leaving behind any resentment you have towards his control-freakish behavior, and his acting like your boss. I doubt that there's any way that behavior can be changed, except by gradually gaining his trust, and even then it will never entirely go away.
3) Show him through your actions that you always get things done on time, that you are actually a capable and trustworthy employee, and that he never has to worry about you slacking off or causing him any job-related harm. And finally...
4) Apologize for pranking him, and swear to him that you will never do it again. You don't need to take him aside to do this; maybe the next time he accuses you of doing something to his computer, you can fit it in?

I hope that helps a little :) If not, I'll try again.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually relate to his frustration and distrust; I would react similarly, though not as extremely. I freaking HATE being pranked, and if other ESTJs are like me, then they would too, because ESTJs hate being humiliated, they hate being made fun of, they hate losing their dignity -- especially in an obvious way, like that, in front of other people whose respect they want to earn. Even the nice kind of pranking, like being surprised for your birthday, can be frustrating, because it requires people lying to you and tricking you beforehand. It can be hard to let go of the fact that your birthday was ignored and disrespected, even if it only appeared that way.

Also (and this might not be type-related?), I tend to see people who regularly play pranks as being untrustworthy. It's doing something behind your back, in the hopes of humiliating you in public and then laughing at you -- which is very hurtful! I see them in almost the same light as I see compulsive liars. I don't mean this as an insult to you, because I know a lot of it is irrational, and my problem.

Agreed SO COMPLETELY about pranks, even benign pranks, and even "good" surprises. (This is why I've made it clear to my friends that a surprise party for me WOULD NOT BE a good idea.) It does feel like a kind of dishonesty/lies, and regarding the computer sound-file hack, I'd have also felt violated on top of humiliated. (I think one's computer is kind of a private thing and I'd be weirded out that he changed my settings.)

Idec Sdawkminn

MBTI Type
EPIC
Thanks for your responses.

Regarding the part I bolded: I, and probably other ESTJs as well, don't see those two things as being any more or less funny than each other. They both seem, from a sensitive ESTJ perspective, like hijacking and humiliation.

First of all, you reminded me of this awesome scene:

Okay, so I can sort of agree with you guys about the prank as well. I wouldn't like it, either. But I didn't do it where several people would witness it. He has his own office, so I just intended for him to hear it, try to figure it out, and see what transpired. It was more of a "I wonder if he'll be able to figure it out and how long it will take" type of thing. Turns out he's really private about his computer (his company-owned computer). When he asked my co-worker to give him a file, he simply copied it remotely to his desktop. My co-worker and I do that all the time to each other. "Hey, it should be on your desktop." "Thanks." Well, Doug comes in immediately and demands to know how he did it.

Terry: I just copied it to your desktop.
Doug: Yeah, but how?
Terry: (wiggles fingers in the air) Magic.
Doug: No, Terry, I'm serious. How did you do it?
Terry: We're the systems administrators. We can do anything like that. Just like you can do your trick of connecting to my desk phone and talking to me on the speaker without me even answering it.
Doug: So, you guys can see my screen?
Terry: Of course.
Doug: You monitor my computer? So he's (meaning me) just sitting here all day watching my screen?
Terry: No, he's not watching your screen. Well, I can't see his monitors so I can't really say for sure, but I'm pretty sure he's not.
Me: I have way more better things to do than just sit and watch your screen. That would be incredibly boring.
Doug: Well, seeing my screen seems to be a security risk.
Terry: We're the network admins. We prevent security risks.
Me: I don't even think the program for us to be able to see your screen is installed on your computer.
Doug: Then how did you copy that file to my desktop?
Me: He just opened the folder on the server that contains your desktop icons and placed it in there.
Doug: Oh, that's all you did? Okay. (walks away)
Me: Geez, he's so paranoid.
Terry: I know. Maybe we should monitor his computer. Sounds like he has something to hide.

I'm on the ESTJ's side, here. If something's going wrong, someone has to report it, right? The ESTJ is just trying to be a good citizen and a good employee. Frankly, if the boss doesn't listen to the employees when they have complaints, but instead says "I have my opinions and you have yours", that's dictatorial and undemocratic and just not good boss behavior.

No, someone doesn't have to report it. I hear people complain about Doug all the time, but I never report it. That would be tattling and trying to look good to the boss for something that doesn't pertain to me. Him doing a bad job doesn't affect my job. It doesn't cause me to have more or less work. It's completely irrelevant to my responsibilities. I do feel good when I hear people complain about others, though, because I look good in comparison without having to do anything.

Regarding the boss's behavior, here is an email exchange between Doug, the HR director, and my boss:

I sent the following to Terry, Doug, and Ed: "Well now I have the stomach flu and fever as well. Hopefully I'll be feeling better by tomorrow."
Doug forwarded that to the HR director. She forwarded that to Ed, saying: "Is Doug Jason’s manager? He seems very involved in making sure that I’m aware of what Jason is doing?"
Ed replied back: "No, I am however, he spares no effort in letting me know of the shortcomings of the other members of his team."

I think Ed knows that Doug is one to tell on others and act like a boss, but Ed already knows me and my job performance and is satisfied with what he has seen.

A common Ti vs. Te communication issue. :yes: His accusing you of consciously withholding information from you is stupid and paranoid, but the rest is pretty predictable. You, as a Ti dom, were coming from a position where you weren't sure how to give an accurate picture of the situation without explaining in either perfect or near-perfect detail, because all information is potentially relevant. But he, as a Te dom, was expecting you to give him a direct and straightforward answer -- like in Journalism class, where one of the first things you learn is to give the most important information of the story in your first paragraph, and then continue in reverse order of importance. That's Te.

So you believe I'm Ti dom, not Ne dom and Ti aux? I wanted to give a direct answer. I wanted to give the short answer. However, possible short answers could be "yes", "no", "for now", or "I think so".

If "yes", he would go and call them, find out it isn't fixed, and come back and get all mad because I lied to him.
If "no", he would get all mad because I'm lazy and haven't done it yet. Then tell me to call them right now while he stands there.
If "for now", he would get frustrated because I'm giving him a vague answer that doesn't really answer his question and he'd argue with me about what "for now" means.
If "I think so", he'd get all mad because I left them without knowing if it was fixed or not, and that's lazy and irresponsible.

The correct short answer, I feel, is "It's none of your business. I'm handling it." But I don't anticipate that going over well at all, and I'm not normally confrontational, so I think and think and think of what possible, short, direct answer I can give that will give him an accurate answer, all the while resenting the fact that I feel like I have to give him ANY answer. He shouldn't even be questioning me about it. He relayed the information. His involvement in the situation was officially over when he did so. It falls under my responsibilities, not his. If I don't come through, it looks bad on me. He told the person he told me. That person should now have all expectations for me and none for him. Sure, he can be curious as to what I ended up having to do to fix it, but that's it. I never question him about anything he's working on. I wouldn't feel that to be right. I would be insulting him. Plus I'm not his boss, just like he's not mine. I always feel negative about myself after he does that because I wish I could just be strong and assertive and stand my ground and not let him push me around and treat me that way and I hate how I can't. I honestly feel he creates a hostile working environment for me. And then I start intentionally giving him vague answers because it's none of his business and I start saying things just to piss him off and make him go away and he tells me that I have the worst attitude he's ever seen and it's going to get me in trouble one of these days.

Because he was very, very angry. :yes: Reading that dialogue was interesting to me, because it confirms how I come across when I'm very angry, i.e. aggressively matter-of-fact. I can almost guarantee that everything about him seeming accusatory was from his anger at the situation -- not his anger at you. Te under stress can turn ExTJs from decent people into armed military vehicles, storming through the city, mowing down everything in their path. The task MUST GET DONE, the thing MUST GET FIXED, and it's too frustrating and all-consuming to give the ExTJ enough energy to maintain their ever-present facade of politeness. And with most ESTJs (not me as much, because I've started catching myself when I think this way), if something goes horribly wrong, it is absolutely not their fault. Obviously the ESTJ is doing everything in their power to fix it, and obviously they are completely in the right, and the world is against them. I remember when I was a kid, whenever I would lose something, my first thought was always that someone stole it. Same kind of thought process.

Yes, he was under stress. He had his motorcycle being worked on yesterday and asked me to give him a ride to the mechanic so he could pick it up. I was almost certain he was going to say "I'll drive" even though it's the company car that I drive, and I was thinking and thinking of how I should respond. I knew that he'd say he didn't like how I drove, but what if I don't like how he drives? But he didn't, so I was relieved. On the way we talked and pretty much agreed on everything regarding hating drivers that don't use turn signals, hating how people tail-gate, etc. I then brought up the kiosk thing and started to say "sorry" about how that went down, and he stopped me and said not to worry about it, he was just under a lot of stress with one manager yelling on his right and another guy yelling on his left and blaming him for the computer not being up while he was talking to me on the phone.

1) Try to be as direct with him as he is with you -- not regarding your feelings, but regarding work-related things. (For example, if he says "Why aren't you getting this done now?", just say "I have to do these two things first, but as soon as they're done, I'll deal with it, and I'll get back to you." Directness is the ESTJ's language; it may seem accusatory to you, but for the most part, we're fine with it when we're in your position. I have yet to see an ESTJ who had been made uncomfortable by being relentlessly questioned about something.)

When I have said "I have to do these two things first, etc." he asked me about the two things, said that nothing is more important than the thing he brought to my attention because that person couldn't do their job, and I was unable to convince him that what I was working on really was more important. He finally just left and called Ed, just to have Ed call me and ask the situation and when I told him, he agreed that I was working on something more important and to just let Doug know I'll get to it when I can. All the while I'm thinking that this is a huge waste of time trying to convince people of things when I should be fixing the thing that's even more important than the other important thing. If he left me alone to do what I needed to do, I might have been done and been working on what he wanted by now.

Also, oddly enough, he does get defensive when I ask him if he got something done. He says he'll get to it when he gets to it, but he has a lot of other things to do first. It seems like he doesn't like me checking up on him because I'm less responsible and half his age and he always gets things done and I'm insulting him by even questioning that he'll get it done. He is always in "proving himself" mode. I think he's worried about his job because he almost got let go in our last layoff. He's always trying to show how useful he is. My co-worker, Terry, says he's like Thomas the Train, always trying to be a useful engine. He often complains that I just sit there all day doing nothing while he busts his butt.

2) Do as best you can about leaving behind any resentment you have towards his control-freakish behavior, and his acting like your boss. I doubt that there's any way that behavior can be changed, except by gradually gaining his trust, and even then it will never entirely go away.

I guess knowing that it's just how he operates and he isn't out to make my life miserable helps.

4) Apologize for pranking him, and swear to him that you will never do it again. You don't need to take him aside to do this; maybe the next time he accuses you of doing something to his computer, you can fit it in?

I've already apologized. I did so when it first happened. And I did say I'd never do it again. I've told him that almost every time he accused me of something. Seems to fall on deaf ears.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
A lot of you ESTJ's say that you respect people who stand up for themselves and who are not doormats. When I stand up to the xxTJ's (Te, Fi) that I know IRL, one of two things seems to happen:

1. It turns into an argument/pissing match.
2. Sometimes I walk away feeling like I may have been "too" straightforward and triggered some Fi sadness.

If you're very blunt and even critical with someone (Te), what do you expect their response to be to you? It's logical that they would most likely "punch back", right? So, if you come at someone with cold, hard Te, how could that person ideally respond to you? If we cower and walk away, then we're a doormat. If we stand firm and "punch back", then we're argumentative. What's the happy medium?

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

This makes sense, but I wonder if ESTJs may apply a bit of a double standard here? From the relatively small amount of observation I've done, it seems to me that some ESTJs find what I might (rather condescendingly) call "stupid humour" (sorry, but that's how I feel!!) funny...at least if they're making the joke and someone else is on the receiving end.

A couple of examples which I'm pretty sure involved ESTJs (two different ones):

-My friend and I went on holiday and were waiting for our ESTJ friend and his friend to join us the next day. We were up late waiting for them to show up at the hotel or text us, and no word came. My friend texted the ESTJ, no word. Finally she calls him (she waited quite a while because we were in a foreign country and roaming cellphone calls were expensive). He goes "I couldn't call you! We've been arrested at customs..." She freaks out, and he starts laughing...it was a joke, but not very funny to either of us. He didn't get why she was still kind of mad at him the next day. An apology for alarming us, by not letting us know they were on the way and then making a dumb joke, would have been welcome, but he just thought she was being over-sensitive and we were being too serious.

-My friend whose first language is Spanish, but speaks English very well, is talking with a few of us (including an ESTJ friend) about how some people have a hard time understanding any foreign accent and this causes her problems sometimes and she feels insecure about not being comprehensible. ESTJ guy goes "Sorry, I didn't catch that?" She repeats herself. He goes "Sorry, what? I didn't understand..." and does this a couple more times although he plainly did understand. Ha ha. He obviously thought it was hilarious, the rest of us were less impressed.

Would you say this is non-ESTJ-like behaviour or it kind of is? ;) I'm almost certain the first example involved an ESTJ, not quite as sure of the second but I think he probably was one.

To me it's insecure behaviour in any case, regardless of type...when you expect others to find your pranks and silly jokes amusing, but get annoyed and defensive when the tables are turned. I certainly hate pranks as I find them embarrassing and a waste of time - I'd only be amused if it was very lightly done and very briefly done. Years ago friends of mine (a definite ESFJ and a probably ESTP) spent the WHOLE DAY winding up a mutual friend (probably ISFP) about how our flight for the holiday we were all going on had been cancelled...they thought it was hilarious, he was seriously unamused when he found out, especially as he'd been trying to figure out alternative travel arrangements...! I was pretty unamused too...

Hm, now I'm starting to wonder if it's more of an extrovert-introvert split... ;)

EDIT: Here's another way to look at it. If you feel my examples are uncharacteristic of ESTJ behaviour, what kind of humour do you think does characterize ESTJs? They are supposed to have a good sense of humour, from the descriptions I've read...

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I've already apologized. I did so when it first happened. And I did say I'd never do it again. I've told him that almost every time he accused me of something. Seems to fall on deaf ears.

Realize that as a network / system administrator you are in a position of trust. I know you only intended it to be a funny joke, but to many people, not just an ESTJ but perhaps especially so, it would seem like you betrayed that trust. You will be under suspicion for a while now. I think the assurance of never doing it again is a useful one, because you can always fall back on that. "I told you I wouldn't do anything like that again, and I haven't, let's see what the real problem is" along with a confident smile will go a long way to rebuilding that trust.

As far as copying the file remotely, most people don't get this at all. Saying it's "magic" only makes people paranoid. I have found it a better option to send a link to the folders so they feel like they are in control of the whole process.

Idec Sdawkminn

MBTI Type
EPIC
Thanks. I actually spoke with an MBTI master practitioner for about an hour and she determined pretty confidently that I'm not an INTP or ENTP, but an ISFP. I wonder if this makes any difference, as I wouldn't be using Ti with his Te, but rather would be using Te as well, only as a fourth function while he was using it as dominant.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sorry that I only reply to certain posts in this thread. Sometimes I don't know what to say. :shrug: EJCC is better at explaining herself than I am and I think she is more ESTJ than I am.

Would you say this is non-ESTJ-like behaviour or it kind of is? ;) I'm almost certain the first example involved an ESTJ, not quite as sure of the second but I think he probably was one.

To me it's insecure behaviour in any case, regardless of type...when you expect others to find your pranks and silly jokes amusing, but get annoyed and defensive when the tables are turned.
[...]

EDIT: Here's another way to look at it. If you feel my examples are uncharacteristic of ESTJ behaviour, what kind of humour do you think does characterize ESTJs? They are supposed to have a good sense of humour, from the descriptions I've read...

Oooh, this is interesting.

I have no idea whether the people you mentioned are ESTJs, but I know I wouldn't do either of those things, and that I wouldn't find them funny if I watched them. Kind of lame, actually. :dry:

When I read your post I thought back to when we discussed humor on here last year. I think that I'm waaay more likely to make plays on words than anything.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Had a look at the previous comments on humour, thanks. The above examples could have more to do with immaturity than type. ;) The first guy I knew better, and I'm pretty sure he's ESTJ - he's also into satiric sort of humour, but can also be quite immature... The other guy was just someone I spent a few hours with, and I'm not that good at typing a lot of people, but he seemed ESTJ-ish. (And kind of immature!!)

I think sense of humour is quite individual and not as type-related as some other things. I've got a pretty wide variety myself in terms of what I like, but blatant making fun of others is probably my least favourite. To me, that's definitely immature humour. ;)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Okay, so I can sort of agree with you guys about the prank as well. I wouldn't like it, either. But I didn't do it where several people would witness it. He has his own office, so I just intended for him to hear it, try to figure it out, and see what transpired. It was more of a "I wonder if he'll be able to figure it out and how long it will take" type of thing. Turns out he's really private about his computer (his company-owned computer). When he asked my co-worker to give him a file, he simply copied it remotely to his desktop. My co-worker and I do that all the time to each other. "Hey, it should be on your desktop." "Thanks." Well, Doug comes in immediately and demands to know how he did it.
Regarding this, I agree with PeaceBaby.
No, someone doesn't have to report it. I hear people complain about Doug all the time, but I never report it. That would be tattling and trying to look good to the boss for something that doesn't pertain to me. Him doing a bad job doesn't affect my job. It doesn't cause me to have more or less work. It's completely irrelevant to my responsibilities. I do feel good when I hear people complain about others, though, because I look good in comparison without having to do anything.
This seems very cynical and self-involved to me. Him reporting everything, in comparison, is selfless and other-focused -- even if it is annoying to everyone else. He sees someone else having trouble, and he wants to help. Is wanting to help really so wrong? What makes you think that he's only doing it to look good for someone else?

Don't think I'm being too idealistic, because absolutely nothing you've said about this ESTJ has given me any cause to think that he's a suck-up or a fake. And if he's not a suck-up, then he's honestly trying to do the right thing. And frankly, I'd rather work in a place where everyone wants to help each other, than a place where everyone looks out for themselves and refuses to help the others out for fear of looking like they're "tattling".

I find it interesting that you're an ISFP and you think this way, because Te is all about seeing problems and wanting to step in and fix them. Maybe your Te just manifests itself differently.

I wanted to give a direct answer. I wanted to give the short answer. However, possible short answers could be "yes", "no", "for now", or "I think so".

If "yes", he would go and call them, find out it isn't fixed, and come back and get all mad because I lied to him.
If "no", he would get all mad because I'm lazy and haven't done it yet. Then tell me to call them right now while he stands there.
If "for now", he would get frustrated because I'm giving him a vague answer that doesn't really answer his question and he'd argue with me about what "for now" means.
If "I think so", he'd get all mad because I left them without knowing if it was fixed or not, and that's lazy and irresponsible.
I think almost all of this is due to trust issues. :yes: And that will probably be resolved with time.
I always feel negative about myself after he does that because I wish I could just be strong and assertive and stand my ground and not let him push me around and treat me that way and I hate how I can't. I honestly feel he creates a hostile working environment for me. And then I start intentionally giving him vague answers because it's none of his business and I start saying things just to piss him off and make him go away and he tells me that I have the worst attitude he's ever seen and it's going to get me in trouble one of these days.
Firstly, if you give intentionally vague answers just to piss him off, that's just going to make him trust you even less, which will make him even more annoying to you and will therefore be counterproductive. And if that is what you do, then he's justified in telling you that you have a bad attitude.

Secondly, it's important to remember that he isn't bullying you, and he isn't "pushing you around". That would imply bad intentions, and his intentions are pure. Where he's coming from is: "I have a co-worker who obviously doesn't like me, and who has played dirty, mean and scary pranks on me, and who talks badly about me behind my back. I hate that this is our work dynamic, but I still want things to get done correctly, so I might as well try to be as helpful as possible." The Te worldview, like I said before, is all about problem-solving. That's just how they operate. You will never meet an ESTJ who thinks the way you do about the workplace, i.e. that no one should get involved in anyone else's business unless they are explicitly told to do so in their job description.
Yes, he was under stress. He had his motorcycle being worked on yesterday and asked me to give him a ride to the mechanic so he could pick it up. I was almost certain he was going to say "I'll drive" even though it's the company car that I drive, and I was thinking and thinking of how I should respond. I knew that he'd say he didn't like how I drove, but what if I don't like how he drives? But he didn't, so I was relieved. On the way we talked and pretty much agreed on everything regarding hating drivers that don't use turn signals, hating how people tail-gate, etc. I then brought up the kiosk thing and started to say "sorry" about how that went down, and he stopped me and said not to worry about it, he was just under a lot of stress with one manager yelling on his right and another guy yelling on his left and blaming him for the computer not being up while he was talking to me on the phone.
Well there you go! :) Looks like you've seen him in a good mood, then. Once you start earning his trust back, hopefully he'll be like that with you more often. That's how ESTJs are supposed to act.

Also, oddly enough, he does get defensive when I ask him if he got something done. He says he'll get to it when he gets to it, but he has a lot of other things to do first. It seems like he doesn't like me checking up on him because I'm less responsible and half his age and he always gets things done and I'm insulting him by even questioning that he'll get it done. He is always in "proving himself" mode. I think he's worried about his job because he almost got let go in our last layoff. He's always trying to show how useful he is. My co-worker, Terry, says he's like Thomas the Train, always trying to be a useful engine. He often complains that I just sit there all day doing nothing while he busts his butt.
I think you've been projecting a little. Although some of it may be because he's worried about his job, most of it is just that ESTJs hate being humbled by people who they consider to be less talented or less capable than them. Obviously, in his case, age is another factor, though that isn't the case for all ESTJs. Also, that comment about you being less responsible is proof of what I was saying earlier, i.e. that he doesn't trust you to get things done.
I guess knowing that it's just how he operates and he isn't out to make my life miserable helps.
:yes: Exactly. Your co-worker Terry has it right -- the ESTJ is just trying to help, and helping often means getting involved, and checking up on people to see how they're doing.

A lot of you ESTJ's say that you respect people who stand up for themselves and who are not doormats. When I stand up to the xxTJ's (Te, Fi) that I know IRL, one of two things seems to happen:

1. It turns into an argument/pissing match.
2. Sometimes I walk away feeling like I may have been "too" straightforward and triggered some Fi sadness.

If you're very blunt and even critical with someone (Te), what do you expect their response to be to you? It's logical that they would most likely "punch back", right? So, if you come at someone with cold, hard Te, how could that person ideally respond to you? If we cower and walk away, then we're a doormat. If we stand firm and "punch back", then we're argumentative. What's the happy medium?
We still want you to be argumentative. :yes: Because we want everyone to be on the same page. If we convince you, that's great, and we'll agree, and if you convince us, we'll be extremely embarrassed and cranky for maybe ten minutes... but then all will be forgiven, and we'll agree. :)

Also, I shouldn't even be using the word "arguing"; you said it best when you called it "cold, hard Te". They're facts without emotion. Since you're INTP, you're in a position to reply perfectly, with accurate Ti. For example:

ESTJ: Well obviously this is the case because X=Y.
INTP: Actually, no. I read an article this morning that said that X=Z and Z=/=Y. Clear as day.
ESTJ: No way. Where did you read that?
INTP: ZXY Magazine.
ESTJ (sulking): ... Huh. Okay.
INTP: Seriously, I'll pull it up on my smartphone. Here it is.
ESTJ (pissed off): ... Sure enough. There it is. (sulks away)

(10 minutes later, separate conversation)
ESTJ: So I thought that X=Y before, but it turns out there was this article in ZXY magazine before that totally refuted that...
Other people: Hmm, interesting!

So, in other words... As embarrassing as it is for the ESTJ initially, they'd rather gain the right opinion, than beat you in an argument with the wrong opinion. We want people to stick up for their arguments because we want wrong opinions to be eliminated. :)
This makes sense, but I wonder if ESTJs may apply a bit of a double standard here? From the relatively small amount of observation I've done, it seems to me that some ESTJs find what I might (rather condescendingly) call "stupid humour" (sorry, but that's how I feel!!) funny...at least if they're making the joke and someone else is on the receiving end.
To me it's insecure behaviour in any case, regardless of type...when you expect others to find your pranks and silly jokes amusing, but get annoyed and defensive when the tables are turned. I certainly hate pranks as I find them embarrassing and a waste of time - I'd only be amused if it was very lightly done and very briefly done. Years ago friends of mine (a definite ESFJ and a probably ESTP) spent the WHOLE DAY winding up a mutual friend (probably ISFP) about how our flight for the holiday we were all going on had been cancelled...they thought it was hilarious, he was seriously unamused when he found out, especially as he'd been trying to figure out alternative travel arrangements...! I was pretty unamused too...
I agree with you about maturity. I was reading a really amazing article about this particular theory of humor, called the Benign Violation theory, that really blows my mind because I can't think of an exception. The idea is: something is funny if something/one (anything/one!) is violated -- as long as you don't see it as harmful in any way. So, maturity would come in because immature people generally aren't as empathetic, so they wouldn't see that what they were doing wasn't "benign" and that it was actually hurtful.

Also, it's a double standard for a lot of people. Really, anyone who watches "America's Funniest Home Videos", or silly prank/crotch-kicking videos on YouTube. That video may be funny, but if YOU were the one being kicked in the balls, it wouldn't be funny at all.

In short: not type-related. But definitely hypocritical! :laugh:

I'm sorry that I only reply to certain posts in this thread. Sometimes I don't know what to say. :shrug: EJCC is better at explaining herself than I am and I think she is more ESTJ than I am.
I dunno -- I've had a lot of practice. And I maintain that you're more ESTJ than you think. :yes: We relate to most of each other's type-related cognitive processes, I think.
I have no idea whether the people you mentioned are ESTJs, but I know I wouldn't do either of those things, and that I wouldn't find them funny if I watched them. Kind of lame, actually. :dry:
Agreed. :dont: I read those anecdotes and both could be called, as they say in the Old Country... "Kind Of A Dick Move".
When I read your post I thought back to when we discussed humor on here last year. I think that I'm waaay more likely to make plays on words than anything.
Nice work! :cheers: Thanks for finding that. I had totally forgotten.