• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTJ] Ask an ESTJ!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
See, it's a good thing that I don't have cable, because I'd do nothing except watch "Dirty Jobs" and "Mythbusters"! (Also, that "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" show on TLC because it scares the shit out of me. :dont:)
I sense an ESTJ trait here - appreciation for goofy fluff shows! :D
So... I heard the ESTJ is supposed to be a great match for the INFJ... why is this? And what do you like about the INFJ?
There are lots of theories as to why particular types go with particular other types. But in my mind, as long as love and chemistry and mutual understanding are there, type doesn't matter all that much.

But I really like the INFJs in my life. I especially like them when I know them well and they know me well, because when you're good friends with an INFJ, they don't try as hard to keep you happy. You don't just get the default people-pleasing side - you get the blunt comments and the sarcastic remarks and (most entertainingly) the bitching. Lots and lots of bitching. :D

But my serious answer: I like that INFJs are the people-translators of the world. They "get" so many people, that they can explain them to others very easily. (So many conversations with my INFJ mom have started with "Hey Mom... O Intuitive One... I have a question...." :laugh:)
Are my fellow ESTJs prone to having bad tempers? :blush:
When I was a lot younger, I definitely had a hair-trigger temper. Now, I'm inclined to say that, even though a lot of people think they've seen me angry, almost no one really has, because (since I'm an enneagram 1), I keep composure when I'm very upset. I still get angry when I'm frustrated, and I get angry when something that would otherwise just be irritating either escalates or continues for far too long. But when I get really pissed off, it bubbles just barely beneath the surface - but so close to the surface, that all I need is permission from someone nearby, in order to let some of it out. Ironically, there are occasions when angry tone slips out, but those moments are not my most angry moments. So, when people are surprised by how "angry" I am about something, I'm just as surprised that they think that, because the anger I let out is nothing compared to the anger that I hold in. Sometimes, the anger I show is exaggerated, in an attempt at humor that some people don't recognize (and I think you referenced a similar trend with you a couple pages back, mnestic) - whereas sometimes when I'm irritated with someone, I'll accidentally let slip a comment about how they "just need to stop complaining and do something about it". Not that I'm mad - I just can't hold in my Te any longer! :laugh:

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^^ Your response is all kinds of good and awesome and I identify with it like woah-- but I'm too tired to give it the response it deserves. Just wanted to let you know that you win at life. :hug:

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I was a lot younger, I definitely had a hair-trigger temper. Now, I'm inclined to say that, even though a lot of people think they've seen me angry, almost no one really has
Ironically, there are occasions when angry tone slips out, but those moments are not my most angry moments. So, when people are surprised by how "angry" I am about something, I'm just as surprised that they think that, because the anger I let out is nothing compared to the anger that I hold in. Sometimes, the anger I show is exaggerated, in an attempt at humor that some people don't recognize (and I think you referenced a similar trend with you a couple pages back, mnestic)
:yes: I identify with all of these things. I had a hell of a temper when I was a kid, and learning to defuse that has been a big part of growing into my personality. Making peace with the F side of me has helped a lot, but evidently when I'm tired and struggling with things, I'm prone to being all hot-tempered again. :steam:

I don't know how to describe the connection between my temper and the misread-humor thing, but I'm sure there is one. :thinking:

Also- I am very easily to get slightly irritated, but very hard to make *really* mad. People misinterpret my irritation for Srs Anger, when most of them haven't seen me get Srsly Angry.

Have you ever been called an "angry person"? I have a few times, mostly during adolescence, but it is kind of baffling to me. :shock: Like, how do opinionated and confident translate into "angry"? And would I have been called that if I were a guy ESTJ? :steam: My inner life isn't angry most of the time, unless something is seriously wrong, so the idea that I'm an angry person makes me :shock:.

sometimes when I'm irritated with someone, I'll accidentally let slip a comment about how they "just need to stop complaining and do something about it". Not that I'm mad - I just can't hold in my Te any longer! :laugh:

:laugh: I don't say things I don't mean when I'm angry. I say things I mean very much but have been biting back in attempts to preserve the peace!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:yes: I identify with all of these things. I had a hell of a temper when I was a kid, and learning to defuse that has been a big part of growing into my personality. Making peace with the F side of me has helped a lot, but evidently when I'm tired and struggling with things, I'm prone to being all hot-tempered again. :steam:
Yeah, I think a lot of Thinkers are like this, regardless of what type of Thinking they use. I've seen this a lot as a kid, what with there being more than one Thinking dom in the house (i.e. me with Te and my INTP dad with Ti). We're both very good at being polite and socially apt most of the time, but the veil disappears when we're pissed off.
I don't know how to describe the connection between my temper and the misread-humor thing, but I'm sure there is one. :thinking:
I think I know... ESTJ humor is often just exaggerated storytelling with commentary. When people take the exaggeration as total seriousness - and usually the exaggeration is anger, though sometimes I exaggerate excitement too - then they don't get the humor. Did I describe it right? :unsure:
Also- I am very easily to get slightly irritated, but very hard to make *really* mad. People misinterpret my irritation for Srs Anger, when most of them haven't seen me get Srsly Angry.
:laugh: I don't say things I don't mean when I'm angry. I say things I mean very much but have been biting back in attempts to preserve the peace!
Exactly!!! :yes:
Have you ever been called an "angry person"? I have a few times, mostly during adolescence, but it is kind of baffling to me. :shock: Like, how do opinionated and confident translate into "angry"? And would I have been called that if I were a guy ESTJ? :steam: My inner life isn't angry most of the time, unless something is seriously wrong, so the idea that I'm an angry person makes me :shock:.
Aw :hug: Sad. Thankfully no one has ever called me that. I've been described as opinionated, arrogant, blunt, annoying, and insensitive, and I've also had the "I give and give and you give nothing in return" speech thrown at me on multiple occasions :cry: But no one's ever called me an angry person. I wonder if it has to do with geography... :huh: Do you live in a more sexist town/state, do you think?

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I think a lot of Thinkers are like this, regardless of what type of Thinking they use. I've seen this a lot as a kid, what with there being more than one Thinking dom in the house (i.e. me with Te and my INTP dad with Ti). We're both very good at being polite and socially apt most of the time, but the veil disappears when we're pissed off.

My dad was an INTP as well. :yes: I understand.

I think I know... ESTJ humor is often just exaggerated storytelling with commentary. When people take the exaggeration as total seriousness - and usually the exaggeration is anger, though sometimes I exaggerate excitement too - then they don't get the humor. Did I describe it right? :unsure:

ABSOLUTELY. Your connection of the misunderstood-humor and anger is spot on. Way to go. :cheers:

Aw :hug: Sad. Thankfully no one has ever called me that. I've been described as opinionated, arrogant, blunt, annoying, and insensitive, and I've also had the "I give and give and you give nothing in return" speech thrown at me on multiple occasions :cry: But no one's ever called me an angry person. I wonder if it has to do with geography... :huh: Do you live in a more sexist town/state, do you think?

I've never gotten the "I give..." speech in my life, though I'm always afraid of that. :boohoo: I've also heard that I'm "contentious" (during a JOB INTERVIEW; she definitely wouldn't have said that to a male candidate). I've been called annoying and blunt as well (though I consider "blunt" a compliment, "annoying" always hurts a little :boohoo:). I've never out and out been called a bitch, surprisingly, at least not to my face. :coffee:

I don't know if the areas where I have lived are more or less sexist than others. I live in the Midwest, but I've always lived in cities, not rural areas, and the city where I live now is pretty progressive. Maybe I've just met different assholes than you have. :)

BTW, I met another female ESTJ this weekend. :D It was interesting, as I've never met another (confirmed) one IRL. There was kind of a tension as we both had natural desires to monopolize the conversation, but there was also kind of an understanding. :yes:

:huh:Um, does anyone have any actual *questions*? I don't mean to take up all the thread by chatting. :D

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've never gotten the "I give..." speech in my life, though I'm always afraid of that. :boohoo: I've also heard that I'm "contentious" (during a JOB INTERVIEW; she definitely wouldn't have said that to a male candidate). I've been called annoying and blunt as well (though I consider "blunt" a compliment, "annoying" always hurts a little :boohoo:). I've never out and out been called a bitch, surprisingly, at least not to my face. :coffee:
Well, that last part is good, anyway! I haven't been called a bitch either (to my face)... and I consider "blunt" a compliment when I remind myself that what they really meant was "honest" :laugh:

And speaking of being called things... have you ever been called "reserved"? I was called that by a close friend, and I was surprised, mostly because I am completely the opposite of reserved in a lot of cases (notably, my opinions, and also when I'm excited or irritated about something), but then I realized that he was right. Is this just an Enneagram 1 thing?
Maybe I've just met different assholes than you have. :)
:laugh: I'll bet that's it. Also, you're a bit older than I am, and that might have a role in it too. Hey, do you find that guys stereotype you a lot less than they might stereotype other women? I ask because I've found that, when I'm around older men, they're so taken aback by how opinionated I am about everything, and how willing/able I am to rant about things in a reasonably articulate way for long periods of time, that they just sort of go "Wow, you have opinions," and just sit and listen, entertained-ly, while I rant. I figured (pardon my stereotyping) that since you're an enneagram 8 (more aggressive and powerful) and I'm an enneagram 1 (more reserved and controlled), that if you had a similar experience, you might have it even more than me...
BTW, I met another female ESTJ this weekend. :D It was interesting, as I've never met another (confirmed) one IRL. There was kind of a tension as we both had natural desires to monopolize the conversation, but there was also kind of an understanding. :yes:
I had a similar experience with a female ESTP a couple of months ago. What ended up happening, after my initial reaction of "What the hell are you doing? :thelook:", was that I accepted just how much more outgoing and aggressive she is than me, and adapted accordingly. This probably sounds really weird, but it actually felt nice - I was able to let go of a lot of my internal pressure and just let her take control. :laugh: I figured, hey, if she wanted that power so much, she could have it! It's not like I would have used it much. I'm a lot more into controlling myself than controlling others. *Pauses and looks shocked at unexpected insight of last sentence :shock:*

p.s. Didn't mean for that comment to hold any sort of hidden meaning - I just had a random anecdote... I'm actually jealous of your ESTJ experience, seeing as how I've only ever met one ESTJ my age IRL and not only was the ESTJ a guy, but he was totally disinterested in me :(
:huh:Um, does anyone have any actual *questions*? I don't mean to take up all the thread by chatting. :D
Hey, we're asking each other questions! It counts as being productive :D

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I consider "blunt" a compliment when I remind myself that what they really meant was "honest" :laugh:

Hell, aren't those just synonyms anyway? In my head they are. :laugh:

And speaking of being called things... have you ever been called "reserved"? I was called that by a close friend, and I was surprised

DUDE! Now that you mention it, I HAVE. It was from a then-friend, an ENTP. She was more extroverted than me, so I guess it made sense, but... really? I think I'm kind of an open book. I've never heard it from anyone else, though.

Hey, do you find that guys stereotype you a lot less than they might stereotype other women? I ask because I've found that, when I'm around older men, they're so taken aback by how opinionated I am about everything, and how willing/able I am to rant about things in a reasonably articulate way for long periods of time, that they just sort of go "Wow, you have opinions," and just sit and listen, entertained-ly, while I rant.

:yes: :yes: :yes: I get this! Though I'd always just chalked it up to being intelligent plus not being conventionally ~gorgeous~. Maybe the ESTJness (i.e. not being typically feminine in personality) has something to do with it as well. :yes:

I accepted just how much more outgoing and aggressive she is than me, and adapted accordingly. This probably sounds really weird, but it actually felt nice - I was able to let go of a lot of my internal pressure and just let her take control. :laugh: I figured, hey, if she wanted that power so much, she could have it!

:laugh: I do this too, largely because I'm only about 60% extrovert.

I actually started talking a lot more when the conversation turned to MBTI and she revealed that she was an ESTJ. I was all *lightbulb!* oh, I get you and I know how to relate to you now! :laugh:

I'm a lot more into controlling myself than controlling others. *Pauses and looks shocked at unexpected insight of last sentence :shock:*

YES. I am the same way. Reminds me of a conversation I had with my building's caretaker about my personality conflict with my old roommate. She noted that he had a need to be a boss, and I had a need to be the boss, and there can't be two bosses. I corrected her-- I was like, well, I don't seek to be the boss of anyone except myself, but I'll be damned if I'll be bossed by someone else. :dont: Also, I don't expect other people to be as anally-retentive J-pref as I am. My rules apply to me only.

p.s. Didn't mean for that comment to hold any sort of hidden meaning - I just had a random anecdote... I'm actually jealous of your ESTJ experience, seeing as how I've only ever met one ESTJ my age IRL and not only was the ESTJ a guy, but he was totally disinterested in me :(

Aw. :hug: And I didn't take it as anything except face value. That's just how i roll. :laugh:

Hey, we're asking each other questions! It counts as being productive :D

You're right! :cheers:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe the ESTJness (i.e. not being typically feminine in personality) has something to do with it as well. :yes:
Definitely. :yes:
I was all *lightbulb!* oh, I get you and I know how to relate to you now! :laugh:
This happens to me so many times that it's started to make me question how well I can actually understand someone without using a tool to analyze their thought processes :doh: But I think I doubt myself too much in that regard. I have zero faith in my ability to read people.
I don't seek to be the boss of anyone except myself, but I'll be damned if I'll be bossed by someone else. :dont:
For me, it actually depends on whether I accept their authority, or whether I'm willing to help them. Though I've had trouble with that recently, since what once seemed like favors for certain people has started to feel like obnoxious, thankless control freakery. :dry:
My rules apply to me only.
YES. fidelia and I, and other people asking me questions here, have had all these interchanges like "How can an ESTJ be okay with spending time with all these 'stupid' people when obviously they're the 'superior' ones who always know the 'right' way of doing things?" And each time I've had to explain that firstly, we're always going to trust our own judgment before that of other people unless given a reason to do otherwise, and secondly, just like you said, our standards for ourselves have nothing at all to do with our standards for others (except for, you know, honesty and decency).

I figure I should ask other things, so I'm not just reiterating your previous points... Productivity is good :D ...

1. Do you have dreams, be they good or bad, and if so, do they ever have kind of a theme, unrelated to events going on in your life? (Discounting any nightmares about wolves or monsters or whatever.)
2. I read somewhere on this forum that you're training in library science? What inspired you to go that direction, career-wise?
3. Are most of your friends S or N?
4. If you can't answer someone honestly, do you not reply at all, or do you lie?
5. We can has an ESTJ girls' sleepover party? :smile: We could tell stories, and Q&A each other about type or whatever the hell else, and watch action movies :D :D :D

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
6. How awesome is it to be interrogated by a puppy wearing a hat and emo glasses? :D

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oooh, questions for MEEE! :yay:

I'm hella sleepy so I will have to get to them tomorrow, but my first thought was-- an ESTJ girls' sleepover would be SO LOUD OMG, but so awesome. :D

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This happens to me so many times that it's started to make me question how well I can actually understand someone without using a tool to analyze their thought processes :doh: But I think I doubt myself too much in that regard. I have zero faith in my ability to read people.

:happy2: I get this! I am working now on trusting my ability to read people, and in general trusting my "hunches". Normally I give them zero credibility, but sometimes they're right. Generally, though, I am prone to snap-judgments about people, which are often wrong.

For me, it actually depends on whether I accept their authority, or whether I'm willing to help them. Though I've had trouble with that recently, since what once seemed like favors for certain people has started to feel like obnoxious, thankless control freakery. :dry:
:dont: Being taken for granted sucks a fat one! And I agree about accepting authority, when it comes to people at work, for example. When it comes to outside of work, I'm much more independent and not looking for anyone to have authority over me. Again, not wanting to boss anyone, but definitely not wanting to be bossed. (Not to say I don't fight URGES to boss other people when they are OBVIOUSLY DOIN IT WRONG AND COULD USE MY HELP. :laugh:)

1. Do you have dreams, be they good or bad, and if so, do they ever have kind of a theme, unrelated to events going on in your life? (Discounting any nightmares about wolves or monsters or whatever.)
I want to hear yours too! :D
I dream a LOT about being at camp, being a camp counselor, because I spent some time at camp every summer from ages 8-16, and ALL of my summers at camp from ages 17-19. Apparently my subconscious misses camp. :D I dream about it once a week or so.
Other than that, I dream a lot about being in big, old houses with secret passageways that I have to discover. It's almost like crawling into a duct and finding the secret rooms. That's my main recurring dream-theme, and I'd say that I dream that once or twice a month, maybe more.
Also I dream about flying a lot. I can often fly in my dreams, like it's the most natural talent in the world for a girl to have!
I am not prone to nightmares, thank god. I *am* prone to having really strange, vivid dreams because of the meds I take for my depression/OCD. It's not a bad side effect, it's kind of fun! Like I'll not realize that the dream wasn't real until something reminds me of it in real life.

2. I read somewhere on this forum that you're training in library science? What inspired you to go that direction, career-wise?
Right now, I'm in the application process to study library science. :) I wanted to start in Spring of 2011, but due to a snafu I won't be able to start until fall of 2011.
This is actually the result of a several-years-long quest to decide What I'd Like To Do When I Grow Up. Lots of things have sounded good to me, because I've got interests all over the place, but library science is the only one that has continued to sound interesting for a long time. It's been interesting to me for a few years. I like organizing things, keeping order, helping people find what they need, and answering questions. Also, I like working with technology and ensuring that everyone has access to information. Sounds like a good fit for me! I just need to figure out how to say all that in an admissions essay. :laugh:

3. Are most of your friends S or N?
Ns all the way! I have met very few S's IRL. All of my close friends are Ns.

4. If you can't answer someone honestly, do you not reply at all, or do you lie?
I rarely lie- I feel guilty and kind of dirty when I do. :( Usually I try to find the most tactful way of saying what needs to be said, but that's hard because I'm really not good with tact.

5. We can has an ESTJ girls' sleepover party? :smile: We could tell stories, and Q&A each other about type or whatever the hell else, and watch action movies :D :D :D
I am so there! However, I don't think I'm an action movie fan. Though I could be wrong, and am willing to try. :D

6. How awesome is it to be interrogated by a puppy wearing a hat and emo glasses?
:happy2: It's real awesome!
Though for some reason, probably the glasses, that picture reminds me of a real person:
ianrq2.jpg

He's a radio host:
Ian Punnett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmm. Now I want to ask you some more questions, but I need to think of them first. Soon, though. :D

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Before you come up with more questions, I have responses:
(Not to say I don't fight URGES to boss other people when they are OBVIOUSLY DOIN IT WRONG AND COULD USE MY HELP. :laugh:)
:yim_rolling_on_the_ Frick yes. Yes yes yes. Abso-frickin'-LUTELY. OMG. :yes: Yes.
I want to hear yours too! :D
You interpreted the question a bit differently than I intended, but that's cool. :D In terms of literal themes, I guess I have a lot of anxiety dreams. They aren't bad dreams - I don't wake up discontented - but they're always ridiculous, implausible worst-case scenarios. (I say "implausible" and not "impossible" because I almost never dream about supernatural things - e.g. monsters. I had a nightmare about a wolf once, but even that was plausible.) Some of my dreams are like conspiracy novels or adventure stories, which is always fun, and sort of similar to your house-exploring dreams. But the reason why I was asking was because, when the message of my dreams isn't totally obvious (and it usually is), I feel like I have to spend some time problem-solving and figuring out what it meant. (My Ne coming out to play, I guess.) This is always the case with nightmares, because, even though I have very few of them (maybe one or two a year), they're always the least plausible and the least related to everyday events. Usually my nightmares involve me going crazy. I figured that may have something to do with a fear of losing control? I dunno. (Sorry, TMI, awkward. :doh:)
I like organizing things, keeping order, helping people find what they need, and answering questions. Also, I like working with technology and ensuring that everyone has access to information. Sounds like a good fit for me! I just need to figure out how to say all that in an admissions essay. :laugh:
That's kind of how I am, with planning out what I want to do for a living post-College. My goal is to be the go-to person for an important figure. It would be so amazing for someone with power to go up to me and say "You're the only person who can give me the best advice in this context. Help me figure out what to do." I'd be like :wub:
Ns all the way! I have met very few S's IRL. All of my close friends are Ns.
Same here! All my best friends are NFs, except for one of my BFFs who happens to be ENTP. We confuse the hell out of each other, but it works anyway :laugh: and it has for almost five years now!
I rarely lie- I feel guilty and kind of dirty when I do. :( Usually I try to find the most tactful way of saying what needs to be said, but that's hard because I'm really not good with tact.
That's how I am, too. Whenever people on this thread ask about how to get ESTJs to open up, and how to get them to actually talk about their problems, I figure that if the ESTJ is healthy, the best choice is to just go up to them and ask them what's wrong. In my case anyways, if someone does that to me, I can't think on my feet quickly enough to avoid the question or come up with a good lie, so I just tell them the truth - or, if I don't know them well, a toned-down version. I don't think an ESTJ would ever say "nothing" when asked what's wrong, if something really was wrong.
I am so there! However, I don't think I'm an action movie fan. Though I could be wrong, and am willing to try. :D
They're fun! I think (or rather, I hope) that you'd like them! We could watch some old-school Jackie Chan, from before his movies started sucking! :yes:
:happy2: It's real awesome!
Though for some reason, probably the glasses, that picture reminds me of a real person:
ianrq2.jpg
:yes: Definitely the glasses. Great minds think alike! :laugh:

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You interpreted the question a bit differently than I intended, but that's cool. :D

:doh: I hadn't even thought of "themes" in the way you meant it, I guess because I don't really have those. I relate to what you're saying about anxiety dreams, and implausible-yet-not-impossible dreams (I don't dream about monsters, either). I guess I'm just inclined to see them as story lines, not themes? :thinking:

Usually my nightmares involve me going crazy. I figured that may have something to do with a fear of losing control? I dunno. (Sorry, TMI, awkward. :doh:)

Nah, not TMI. :hug:

I don't think I've ever had a dream about going crazy, that I've remembered, but I've had dreams about committing suicide or losing loved ones.

I think it's interesting to discuss this stuff, even if I don't always give a lot of credence to dreams. I think that sometimes they've got meaning, but sometimes they're just brain junk looking for a way to escape. :laugh: Is there a thread anywhere where all of the types discuss their dreams? Would be interesting to see if different types have different/common dreams.

It would be so amazing for someone with power to go up to me and say "You're the only person who can give me the best advice in this context. Help me figure out what to do." I'd be like :wub:

So, like, HELP US ESTJ, YOU ARE OUR ONLY HOPE? I like it!

Same here! All my best friends are NFs, except for one of my BFFs who happens to be ENTP. We confuse the hell out of each other, but it works anyway :laugh: and it has for almost five years now!
Interesting! Most of my closest friends have been T's and introverts, aside from my aforementioned INFP BFF. I've accumulated more F-types in the last couple of years, perhaps because I've embraced my own little baby F?

That's how I am, too. Whenever people on this thread ask about how to get ESTJs to open up, and how to get them to actually talk about their problems, I figure that if the ESTJ is healthy, the best choice is to just go up to them and ask them what's wrong. In my case anyways, if someone does that to me, I can't think on my feet quickly enough to avoid the question or come up with a good lie, so I just tell them the truth - or, if I don't know them well, a toned-down version. I don't think an ESTJ would ever say "nothing" when asked what's wrong, if something really was wrong.

YESSSS. I have no poker face- I can't hide it if something is wrong (which makes me all :azdaja: when I'm struggling with something and trying to maintain professional composure!) I agree, defintely just ask the ESTJ WTF is up, and give off a vibe of acceptance/non-judgment. (If it's going to involve feelings:huh:, I need to know that you're not going to judge me!) I am the same way- I generally tell people what's up, or a watered-down version, but in recent years I've become more comfortable telling people that I don't want to talk about it. (Which, to me, means "I don't want to talk about it with you" :))

Still thinking up questions. I'll let you know. :D

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Starting with the questions. :D

What were you like as a child? What kind of games did you play? What were you like in high school? (Were you a joiner?) What are you like in college? (Are you a partier?)

I'm sure there will be more, but that's it for now :)

EDIT :happy2:
Do you like doing surveys and memes?
Do you enjoy talking about yourself? Being the center of attention?
Do you enjoy filling out forms?
Did you enjoy filling out the bubbles on standardized tests?
Are you good at acting?
What kind of books do you like to read?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Starting with the questions. :D
Yay!! :woot: This is gonna be fun! :D
What were you like as a child? What kind of games did you play?
Here's the long answer (from something I posted a while ago):
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/sj-guardhouse/17156-children-5.html#post1168123
What were you like in high school? (Were you a joiner?)
Personality-wise: The beginning of high school was an awkward time for me, partially because I was phasing from being an ugly, butch middle schooler to being a normal, okay looking teenager, but also because my graduating eighth grade class had twelve kids and my high school class had two hundred and fifty kids. I was a lot more moody (varying between happy Ne to pissed-off Te to wallowing Fi), and I, quite frankly, could not empathize even remotely with people who disagreed with me. But I grew into my own as time went on, stopped being interested in anime and became interested in current events and history, and became a nice, smart kid (hopefully?) instead of a moody, geeky bitch. Besides that, I think I was pretty similar to how I am now.

Academically: I was a joiner, yeah. I wasn't the type of joiner/leader that my parents sometimes pressured me to be - esp. my dad, who wanted me to be the type of leader who creates clubs instead of joining them and taking a big role (and I resented his comments about that) - but I nonetheless did a lot. I did Model United Nations, and a current events team competition (that I did very, very well in - my team made it to nationals one year), plus band and percussion ensemble for all four years. The general trend with me was that I would join whatever sounded interesting and/or fun. It worked out well.
What are you like in college? (Are you a partier?)
Could you be a little more specific? :confused: Kind of a broad question...

But I'm not a partier. I drink on occasion (it helps me relax, and I think that a drink or half a drink (but NO MORE) can make me more fun to be around), but that's really it. My social events are usually of the sort where you can hear yourself (and other people) talk, without having to yell. I just :wub: chatting, you know? I don't want to give it up for the sake of alcohol...
Do you like doing surveys and memes?
Surveys are the bestest things ever. :wub: And I like a lot of memes (e.g. pretty much anything on the cheezburger network). But some of them I just don't get - e.g. "pedobear" and "advice dog".
Do you enjoy talking about yourself? Being the center of attention?
Depends on what I'm talking about, that gives me the attention. If it's a funny story that I'm telling, and if most people are responding the right way, then I absolutely LOVE being the center of attention. Otherwise, not so much.
Do you enjoy filling out forms?
YES. :yes: Why else would I create a thread like this? :laugh: It's pretty much the same thing, except I'm also giving people advice (which I love to do) and helping people (which I love to do)! :D
Did you enjoy filling out the bubbles on standardized tests?
Eh, I guess. I like fill-in-the-blanks better.
Are you good at acting?
Yes. But when I try to actually put emotion into acting, I feel so... exposed. It's almost embarrassing for me. Which is why I'm not an actor, and why I don't do community theater. Also, I get the feeling that I'm a good enough actor that, if I wrote out an internal script for myself (since I can't improvise worth crap), I could tell very convincing lies about very serious things. But I would feel so guilty about it afterwards, if I did. So I haven't, I don't, and I probably won't.
What kind of books do you like to read?
History, adventure, sci-fi, humor, true crime, biographies... As long as the book isn't boring, obtuse, or pretentious, I'm okay with it, for the most part.

I've got a question: If you're like me, then it takes a whole lot to make you angry enough to actually lash out verbally, instead of just getting really annoyed and testy with them. What does it take?

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you're like me, then it takes a whole lot to make you angry enough to actually lash out verbally, instead of just getting really annoyed and testy with them. What does it take?

:happy2: Unfortunately, I've got an answer for this! (I'm in a roommate... situation.)

For me, it's generally a last-straw sort of situation. It is more likely to happen when I'm feeling overwhelmed. For example, I'm struggling with something completely separate in my personal life, and the person I'm angry at hasn't changed their behavior despite my asking politely several times. Or when a person shows obvious disregard for keeping peace or being respectful, THAT makes me angry. Talking about the same thing over and over again with nothing changing can put me over the edge as well. :azdaja: I think the common thread is when I'm feeling futility in addition to frustration.

I'm not sure if you'll identify with these but they're the first things that come to mind.

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Do you think that ENFPs are the most annoying things that have ever existed (even more than mosquitos)?

i have yet to meet a estj that can support me haha

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:happy2: Unfortunately, I've got an answer for this! (I'm in a roommate... situation.)
Uh-oh! DUN DUN DUNNNNN. *makes dramatic prairie dog face* :shock: :laugh: <-- I laugh because I sympathize. I had a roommate situation last year too. Her boyfriend... wouldn't... leave. EVER. :BangHead:
For me, it's generally a last-straw sort of situation. It is more likely to happen when I'm feeling overwhelmed. For example, I'm struggling with something completely separate in my personal life, and the person I'm angry at hasn't changed their behavior despite my asking politely several times. Or when a person shows obvious disregard for keeping peace or being respectful, THAT makes me angry. Talking about the same thing over and over again with nothing changing can put me over the edge as well. :azdaja: I think the common thread is when I'm feeling futility in addition to frustration.

I'm not sure if you'll identify with these but they're the first things that come to mind.
I definitely identify! The only things I don't identify with are little things, like the word choice of "futility". But for me, it's just like you said - always a result of a build-up of many factors, and often a result of someone doing the same thing over and over and me getting sick of it. Definitely a last-ditch, purely extraverted thinking type of thing. My lashing out is always completely honest, and generally not an exaggeration.

Do you think that ENFPs are the most annoying things that have ever existed (even more than mosquitos)?

I don't think I can judge fairly, because I've never met an ENFP irl, except for my boss, and I don't know her that well. She's nice and I like her - even though she can't keep her life in order at all!! I'm her personal organizer, and JESUS CHRIST. I found UNOPENED billing envelopes from 2004 at the bottom of huge stacks of paperwork in her office!!!

But that's besides the point. What matters is that she's a great person, based on my knowledge of her :)

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Nah, I think they're a lot of fun! :cheers: I recently dated one, and that wasn't meant to be (we speak different languages due to T/F business) but we're great friends! I don't always get where they're coming from, but I'm sure the feeling is mutual. :D

Last edited:

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had a roommate situation last year too. Her boyfriend... wouldn't... leave. EVER. :BangHead:
I hate that! :dont: It's like you've got another roommate that you didn't sign up for!

And how the hell did I forget about the dramatic prairie dog? That's totally what my life is like right now.

Dramatic-Prairie-Dog.gif

Definitely a last-ditch, purely extraverted thinking type of thing. My lashing out is always completely honest, and generally not an exaggeration.
YES. :yes: There's not even a little bit of exaggeration going on at those moments. It takes a lot to get me to that point, but when I get there, it's like blowing the top off a can of temper. :azdaja: Like suddenly all of my controls are off for a minute or so, and I LOVE my controls!