• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTJ] Ask an ESTJ!

soapninja

MBTI Type
eSTJ
I just thought of another ESTJ question! And I fear that this may make me sound like a douche, but if anyone's going to understand that that's not what I intend, it's you guys. :D

I was just thinking about a woman I know, and how she occasionally gets on my nerves because she is possibly an ESTJ as well. We're both passionate about what's right and wrong, only we have completely opposite ideas.:huh: I've only met one other confirmed ESTJ, and it was a similar situation. There was much friction.

Most of my friends are introverts-- they listen to me talk. When I'm with another extrovert, it sometimes feels like a competition for airtime. :steam:

Do you get along with other people of your type, or does it depend on the person? Are most of your friends opposite or near-opposite types?

One of my two closest girlfriends is an ESTJ. We get along great most of the time because we understand how each other thinks. However, when we get into a disagreement, it's like an explosion. We're both stubborn and neither of us will apologize or say we are wrong. After an argument, we ignore each other for about a week and then talk it out in a rational, logical way.

I think my bf's brother is an ENTJ and he drives me crazy with his bossiness and demanding tone.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dear ESTJs

What kind of humor do you like? What kind of humor do you dislike?

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dear ESTJs

Oh man, lots of things make me laugh. :happy2: I LOVE puns and plays on words. I like cheesy kid jokes. I enjoy stand-up comedy for the most part. I love Bill Engvall, especially. I like funny things that aren't apparent to me at first, humor I have to work for. I love image macros! I occasionally giggle at schadenfreude.

Humor I don't like? I don't like humor that is sexist, racist, ableist, homophobic, or fat-hating. Not only is it unfair and judgmental, it's too easy. Same with ~edgy~, trying-intentionally-to-be-offensive humor. Not a fan of Larrry the Cable Guy, Sarah Silverman, or Family Guy. :dont:

I might add more later- these are just things off the top of my head, and they are things that might not represent all ESTJs.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of my two closest girlfriends is an ESTJ. We get along great most of the time because we understand how each other thinks. However, when we get into a disagreement, it's like an explosion. We're both stubborn and neither of us will apologize or say we are wrong. After an argument, we ignore each other for about a week and then talk it out in a rational, logical way.

:happy2: I do this with my other best girlfriend, who is an ISTJ. The fight is explosive and horrible and we're both sure we're right. Part of it, in our case, is that we've known each other since grade school and are practically sisters. It's a good thing we haven't had a fight in years; it's disastrous!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dear ESTJs

I agree with mnestic about kid humor and puns, and also about not liking over-the-top offensive humor (notable exceptions including Borat and the comparatively tame episodes of South Park). I'll make a list, though:

Funny stuff I like:
- Satire (No one in my English class laughed as loud as I did when we read "A Modest Proposal" in high school)
- Totally cheesy, intentionally bad humor (e.g. "Big Trouble in Little China", "Shaolin Soccer")
- Semi-sweet humor (as opposed to dark humor), as long as I'm with friends when I watch it (e.g. "Harold and Maude")
- Sight gags (e.g. all the stuff with the minions in "Despicable Me" - also, Charlie Chaplin)
- Cute humor

Stuff I don't think is funny:
- Humor that is so mock-offensive that it, in my mind, becomes offensive (e.g. many scenes involving poor, servile Marge in "The Simpsons")
- Pitch-black comedy
- Dumb, sophomoric gags (this includes stoner/drunk humor)
- Sight gags that involve a certain type of violence (e.g. "The 3 Stooges")
- Screwball comedy (e.g. "Bringing Up Baby") - I have no idea why I hate it as much as I do

Etc. etc. etc. I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of it right now.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I agree with mnestic about kid humor and puns, and also about not liking over-the-top offensive humor (notable exceptions including Borat and the comparatively tame episodes of South Park). I'll make a list, though:

Funny stuff I like:
- Satire (No one in my English class laughed as loud as I did when we read "A Modest Proposal" in high school)
- Totally cheesy, intentionally bad humor (e.g. "Big Trouble in Little China", "Shaolin Soccer")
- Semi-sweet humor (as opposed to dark humor), as long as I'm with friends when I watch it (e.g. "Harold and Maude")
- Sight gags (e.g. all the stuff with the minions in "Despicable Me" - also, Charlie Chaplin)
- Cute humor

Stuff I don't think is funny:
- Humor that is so mock-offensive that it, in my mind, becomes offensive (e.g. many scenes involving poor, servile Marge in "The Simpsons")
- Pitch-black comedy
- Dumb, sophomoric gags (this includes stoner/drunk humor)
- Sight gags that involve a certain type of violence (e.g. "The 3 Stooges")
- Screwball comedy (e.g. "Bringing Up Baby") - I have no idea why I hate it as much as I do

Etc. etc. etc. I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of it right now.

I never could understand how people could suddenly list the type of humor they like.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I never could understand how people could suddenly list the type of humor they like.
I'm not sure how I did it, either. I actually deleted a post draft that said "I could never make a humor list like mnestic" before I wrote that!

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I'm not sure how I did it, either. I actually deleted a post draft that said "I could never make a humor list like mnestic" before I wrote that!

It's hard to categorize it, because it's just however I react to anything. I might be able to think of a few broad areas, but I think I'm referencing Fi. Humor is personal, subjective and spontaneous to be categorized.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:happy2: It's kind of hard to make a list. It's easier to think of what I don't find funny than what I *do* find funny, because what I *do* find funny is a much larger set.

I like South Park too, for some reason. It's not something I ever *think* to watch, but when I do end up watching it, I generally enjoy it.

The Three Stooges stuff doesn't do it for me either. :dont: Physical comedy is really hit-or-miss for me.

What did you guys think of "Little Miss Sunshine", if you've seen it? I don't get how that was billed as comedy AT ALL. It just made me sad. :( Also, what did you think of "Napoleon Dynamite", if you've seen that? Also wasn't amused.

Something I'm a little embarrassed to admit? I enjoy watching "America's Funniest Home Videos" type of shit. I know it's the lowest-hanging of the low-hanging-fruit humor, but sometimes it's funny.

Last edited:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's hard to categorize it, because it's just however I react to anything. I might be able to think of a few broad areas, but I think I'm referencing Fi. Humor is personal, subjective and spontaneous to be categorized.
That's actually how it was with me. I could never list every type of humor I like.
:happy2: It's kind of hard to make a list. It's easier to think of what I don't find funny than what I *do* find funny, because what I *do* find funny is a much larger set.
I agree. :yes:
What did you guys think of "Little Miss Sunshine", if you've seen it? I don't get how that was billed as comedy AT ALL. It just made me sad. :( Also, what did you think of "Napoleon Dynamite", if you've seen that? Also wasn't amused.
It was okay. Pretty funny. Her dance at the end was absolutely hilarious. But yeah, some of it was more sad than funny. And the broken horn joke got old pretty much instantly - I could hardly watch the car scenes after that happened.

Napoleon Dynamite, for me, is one of those movies that's funny when it's 3AM and you're hyper and with friends, but not at any other time or situation. (Again, discounting the dance sequence, which was awesome. More proof that I like sight gags :D)
Something I'm a little embarrassed to admit? I enjoy watching "America's Funniest Home Videos" type of shit. I know it's the lowest-hanging of the low-hanging-fruit humor, but sometimes it's funny.
I love that show. :cheers: As awesome as sophisticated humor may be, sometimes it'll do to just sit back, relax, and watch a crotch-hitting montage.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, the dance sequence in "Napoleon Dynamite" was the only amusing (I won't even say "redeeming") portion of the movie. Maybe I'm kind of being unfair to it, because I didn't see it until it was out on DVD, which was waaay after all of the "funny" lines from the movie had been regurgitated in conversation and on the Internet five kajillion times. I might have felt differently if I'd seen it when it first came out.

And, ahh! I feel so validated that you share my affinity for the America's Funniest stuff. You hit it on the head- I enjoy "intelligent" humor too, but sometimes I want to space out and watch people get kicked in the nuts.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
PAGE 100!!!!

:party2: :party2: :party2:

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ZOMG PAGE 100! AWESOME!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

And I pushed it over to p.100. Neat!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And I pushed it over to p.100. Neat!
After all the work I put in, it had to be a newcomer... :dont:

Lol, I tease. Srsly tho: PARTAY! :banana:

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I LOL'd

I'm in ur thread, stealin ur thunder

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
getoffmylawnunbrand.jpg

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:thumbup: I have never seen that one before, and I LOVE me some LOLcats.

118es1j.jpg