User Tag List

Page 98 of 259 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask an ESTJ!

Senior Member Array ThinkingAboutIt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

If you left a company that you had been with for a long time to start a new job, would you be nervous? If so, what could be done to help you acclimate quickly? If not, what would you most be looking forward to?
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

don't fence me in Array sui generis's Avatar
    MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

I would be nervous, as change always makes me nervous, but it would probably be manageable, and I probably wouldn't show it externally. Being welcomed by my coworkers would make me feel more comfortable and acclimated, as would having a thorough understanding/explanation of my job duties. It also wouldn't hurt for me to know a bit about the company culture and how things are 'normally done' among my coworkers, even if I choose not to follow that norm.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by mnestic View Post
    I would be nervous, as change always makes me nervous, but it would probably be manageable, and I probably wouldn't show it externally. Being welcomed by my coworkers would make me feel more comfortable and acclimated, as would having a thorough understanding/explanation of my job duties. It also wouldn't hurt for me to know a bit about the company culture and how things are 'normally done' among my coworkers, even if I choose not to follow that norm.
    Thanks for your help, I appreciate it! I have another question...how much do you need direction from management? What is respectable to you in management?

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

I may be an atypical ESTJ due to being only slightly "es", so I think that other ESTJs may have a more representative answer. In any case, I like answering these questions. Makes me think and learn about myself.

I require very little supervision from a supervisor, both because I enjoy working independently and because I have the kind of work ethic where once I get started on something, I stay stuck to it and don't waste time. At one of my previous jobs, my boss came to check on me and say hi once a day for approximately ten minutes, which was perfect! I hate being hovered over or micromanaged. :steam: However, I'd like the supervisor to be around to help if I come across a problem that I can't solve.

I respect a manager who is fair, who is kind, who is intelligent and capable. I do not respect a manager who takes out hir bad days/moods on hir subordinates, or is inconsistent. Also, see discussion several days upthread about how I don't *automatically* respect authority if the "authority" is less intelligent or apt than I am.
    Last edited by sui generis; 07-10-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: add moar information
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

I may be an atypical ESTJ due to being only slightly "es", so I think that other ESTJs may have a more representative answer. In any case, I like answering these questions. Makes me think and learn about myself.

I require very little supervision from a supervisor, both because I enjoy working independently and because I have the kind of work ethic where once I get started on something, I stay stuck to it and don't waste time. At one of my previous jobs, my boss came to check on me and say hi once a day for approximately ten minutes, which was perfect! I hate being hovered over or micromanaged. :steam: However, I'd like the supervisor to be around to help if I come across a problem that I can't solve.

I respect a manager who is fair, who is kind, who is intelligent and capable. I do not respect a manager who takes out hir bad days/moods on hir subordinates, or is inconsistent. Also, see discussion several days upthread about how I don't *automatically* respect authority if the "authority" is less intelligent or apt than I am.
    Thanks, this was very helpful! I did read through some of the posts, and will look to see if there are other replies as well

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Some different answers (without reading mnestic's in advance):

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    If you left a company that you had been with for a long time to start a new job, would you be nervous? If so, what could be done to help you acclimate quickly? If not, what would you most be looking forward to?
    A little, but I'd throw the worry to the back of my mind because I'd know the worrying wasn't rational - I'd tell myself "There is no reason for you to worry except that you're afraid of the unknown. You have a good work ethic and people like you. Therefore, nagging voice, you need to shut up." And the nagging voice will mostly shut up, except for making the occasional "Mmph!" noise from underneath the duct tape
    Thanks for your help, I appreciate it! I have another question...how much do you need direction from management? What is respectable to you in management?
    I hardly need any direction from management. Whenever I fill out a job application and go to an interview, and they ask me my strengths and weaknesses, I tell them that one of my biggest strengths is that all you need to do is tell me what needs to be done, and I'll do it to the best of my ability. And if I get confused, I will ask questions, get the answers, and go straight back to work. I hardly need management at all, except as a source of information.

What's respectable to me in a manager is politeness/niceness and patience (especially with answering my questions). Also, having a light-hearted air helps when I'm just starting out. I can make myself really tense when I'm thrown into a totally new job situation and feel like I have no idea what's going on, and having a completely grave and serious manager doesn't help much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nørrsken impersonating EJCC
    It's strange. I keep banning morons, but they keep signing up? What is this?
    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Some different answers (without reading mnestic's in advance):

A little, but I'd throw the worry to the back of my mind because I'd know the worrying wasn't rational - I'd tell myself "There is no reason for you to worry except that you're afraid of the unknown. You have a good work ethic and people like you. Therefore, nagging voice, you need to shut up." And the nagging voice will mostly shut up, except for making the occasional "Mmph!" noise from underneath the duct tape
    She does have a great work ethic, that I do know without a doubt. Shows up early and works hard. Too funny about the duct tape, I have seen her literally put her hand over her mouth when she gets going about something

I hardly need any direction from management. Whenever I fill out a job application and go to an interview, and they ask me my strengths and weaknesses, I tell them that one of my biggest strengths is that all you need to do is tell me what needs to be done, and I'll do it to the best of my ability. And if I get confused, I will ask questions, get the answers, and go straight back to work. I hardly need management at all, except as a source of information.
    That is what I thought, thanks!

What's respectable to me in a manager is politeness/niceness and patience (especially with answering my questions). Also, having a light-hearted air helps when I'm just starting out. I can make myself really tense when I'm thrown into a totally new job situation and feel like I have no idea what's going on, and having a completely grave and serious manager doesn't help much.
    If you are going to be doing the same job you always have, but just at a different company, would you prefer to set up/organize everything yourself? How easy do you find it to work within someone else's system as opposed to your own?

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

I want to set up my own system, for sure! I mean, what if the previous employee thinks differently than I do and their system doesn't make any sense?

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

I just thought of another ESTJ question! And I fear that this may make me sound like a douche, but if anyone's going to understand that that's not what I intend, it's you guys.

I was just thinking about a woman I know, and how she occasionally gets on my nerves because she is possibly an ESTJ as well. We're both passionate about what's right and wrong, only we have completely opposite ideas. I've only met one other confirmed ESTJ, and it was a similar situation. There was much friction.

Most of my friends are introverts-- they listen to me talk. When I'm with another extrovert, it sometimes feels like a competition for airtime. :steam:

Do you get along with other people of your type, or does it depend on the person? Are most of your friends opposite or near-opposite types?

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

If you are going to be doing the same job you always have, but just at a different company, would you prefer to set up/organize everything yourself? How easy do you find it to work within someone else's system as opposed to your own?
    If I'm allowed to do things my way in a new situation like that, then I will. If I don't know if I'm allowed to or not, I'll ask my manager and I'll try to convince them that my way has worked for the entire time I've been in this career, etc etc etc. But if I have to work in their system, I can adapt pretty well. I won't like adapting, but I'll get used to it after a while.
    Do you get along with other people of your type, or does it depend on the person? Are most of your friends opposite or near-opposite types?
    I think it depends on the person. With the ESTJs I know in real life, either we have no interests in common or one of us won't care enough to keep a conversation going. However, I get along with the ESTJs on this site pretty well

Here are the types of my best friends:

INFJ (x2)
    ENTP
    ENFJ (x2)
    INTJ

I have an ESFP friend who likes me a lot more than I like her, so she deserves some credit even if she's not on the list. And I have no SJ friends, really. I used to have an ISFJ friend, but she didn't like straying from her pre-existing group of friends to hang out with an outsider.

So I guess I do make friends with my opposite types
    Quote Originally Posted by Nørrsken impersonating EJCC
    It's strange. I keep banning morons, but they keep signing up? What is this?
    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!