User Tag List

First 3676848586878896136186 Last

Thread: Ask an ESTJ!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Hey all! I made this thread in response to a few things:

1. My experience with the rampant misconceptions about ESTJs that so many members have here (based on very limited personal experience, if any),
    2. Loads of random people on TypoC asking me questions about the ESTJs in their lives, because I'm one of the only semi-actively-posting ESTJs here, and
    3. All the people who want me (and the other ESTJs here) to try to make a difference on this site.

Here's the idea: if anybody has any questions that only an ESTJ can answer (and please, no spamming!), do so here. I'll do my best to help you out. Also, I reqest that other ESTJs help out on this thread here too. This doesn't have to be a one-woman battle! But you obviously shouldn't feel obligated to help out if you don't want to. I can do this on my own if necessary.

EDIT: Don't be afraid to post here! I won't bite.

So here I am. Questions, anyone?
    I have but one question that I need answered by ESTJs, and since you are one of the few that posts on internet forums with any considerable frequency, I will use you as a proxy for all ESTJs. My question:

Do you recognize INTJs as comprising most of, if not all of, the natural aristocracy of the human race? In other words, do you recognize our natural right to rule over you?
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

^ESTJs, bow before your master!

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    I have but one question that I need answered by ESTJs, and since you are one of the few that posts on internet forums with any considerable frequency, I will use you as a proxy for all ESTJs. My question:

Do you recognize INTJs as comprising most of, if not all of, the natural aristocracy of the human race? In other words, do you recognize our natural right to rule over you?

MBTI
    ENTP

A hierarchy(*) of ESTJs lead by an INTJ?
    Eek.
    I will do whatever is in my power to wreck that much-too-orderly world and rescue my husband from your grasp. Fear the randomness.

(*) What's the correct collective noun for ESTJs? It can't be a 'society' or a 'bunch'...
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    That's actually a very difficult question, both for he and for me. It depends what the day before was like. If it was a busy day full of people, I'd rather be alone, and vice versa.
    Also, I've learnt this on this forum, for NTPs the E part is picky. If small-talk is expected, if the goal of the talking is "talking and connecting" rather than "discuss ideas and theories", this interaction is rather draining.

Maybe it's the same for you.
    It is - you're right. Although I may be more of an extrovert than the two of you, since I could probably have busy social days every day, as long as I have an hour or two to myself. But no matter how the day before was, socially speaking, if I spend more than four hours alone each day, things get bad. However, I could go for twelve hours with friends. I may not seem like I'm full of energy, but my energy level can remain consistent for a long time, if I'm around people.

I don't know, really, besides that. You're right about the E part being picky. And even extraverts need time alone. I guess I'm at a loss, then...

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    I'm not about to sift through 85 pages
    I wouldn't either!
    A: How do you handle it when a co-worker (tactfully) points out something glaringly obvious, that you've missed?
    "Oh, wow. Sorry I missed that! I'll get on it right away." i.e. mild embarrassment, but mostly laughing at myself for missing it in the first place.

B: How do you react when a co-worker pisses you off by coming late and holding up a big project? Do you tell them "It's OK, don't worry about it. Just try to watch the time next time." or do you berate them senseless?
    I ask them why they were late. If they have a good reason, then I forgive them right away. If not, I'll (VERY mildly) tell them off (a bit). And if anyone blames me, or the entire group, for holding up the project, then, as Tamske said, I'll make sure that person knows who's REALLY responsible.

Not at all! I'll recognize your right to rule if you prove yourself to be qualified to rule, and if you prove that you're worthy of respect and admiration. And that sort of thing has to be on an individual basis; i.e. we won't assume that all INTJs are qualified just because one of them is.

In other words... prove your worth!
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    (*) What's the correct collective noun for ESTJs? It can't be a 'society' or a 'bunch'...
    I believe the correct collective noun would be "the Matrix."
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    INTJ

My sister is an ESTJ and having problems with her professor(p) in the lab she is doing her masters. Summarized:
    -p is a person who might change direction 2 hours prior to an important seminar sister prepared, wants things added or left out
    -p sometimes does these changes herself, in a rather careless manner, copy-pasting irrelevant data if it meant job gets done immediately
    -p is late for every appointment she has, and if the group is going together p claims she is late because "kids" weren't ready on time, it's not true
    -p is very laid back about duties and performance generally and everything was a mess when my sister arrived (this she corrected). "it's ok, nevermind, let's grab a coffee and tell jokes" for 2-3 months and then p gets crazy, starts ordering and yelling rather unfairly right and left, wants 3-day long experiments completed "today" etc.
    -after doing these p hugs, kisses and entertains "kids", taking them to dinner sometimes.

My sister does not want to quit because p is rather malleable and will let her do whatever research she might want, plus she is "settled" there.

I told her the sweetness and dinner professor provides might be her way of apologizing and she might need to accept this as it is. But understandably she is very upset and needs to talk about these issues to blow off steam frequently, which takes its toll on me (I'm quite the introvert). I also advised her to focus on her work as the most important thing and let irrelevant stuff slide. Not sure those work.

Anything else you might think of?
    Thank you.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I believe the correct collective noun would be "the Matrix."
    Nah, that's INTPs
    I think ESTJs come in "conglomerates".
    Quote Originally Posted by jlsandor View Post
    My sister is an ESTJ and having problems with her professor(p) in the lab she is doing her masters. Summarized:
    -p is a person who might change direction 2 hours prior to an important seminar sister prepared, wants things added or left out
    -p sometimes does these changes herself, in a rather careless manner, copy-pasting irrelevant data if it meant job gets done immediately
    -p is late for every appointment she has, and if the group is going together p claims she is late because "kids" weren't ready on time, it's not true
    -p is very laid back about duties and performance generally and everything was a mess when my sister arrived (this she corrected). "it's ok, nevermind, let's grab a coffee and tell jokes" for 2-3 months and then p gets crazy, starts ordering and yelling rather unfairly right and left, wants 3-day long experiments completed "today" etc.
    -after doing these p hugs, kisses and entertains "kids", taking them to dinner sometimes.

OH my GOD that would DRIVE ME UP THE FRIGGIN WALL!!!!

My sister does not want to quit because p is rather malleable and will let her do whatever research she might want, plus she is "settled" there.

I told her the sweetness and dinner professor provides might be her way of apologizing and she might need to accept this as it is. But understandably she is very upset and needs to talk about these issues to blow off steam frequently, which takes its toll on me (I'm quite the introvert). I also advised her to focus on her work as the most important thing and let irrelevant stuff slide. Not sure those work.

Anything else you might think of?
    Thank you.
    Has your sister talked to the professor about some of the things she does? Not, of course, the things that are in her nature, but things like how she'll unfairly blame the students. I think if you were to suggest that (or some other helpful action-y thing) to her, it might be a good idea, because often, when ESTJs vent, they're hoping that the vent-ee will suggest things that will solve the problem. We're very into problem solving.
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    When an ESTJ is sappy without looking like they're joking around, that's serious business, and I think most people take it too lightly. I sometimes find myself responding (mentally): "I was just baring my soul! How can you be joking at a time like this??? "
    I can identify with that, too. After putting in that "effort" to express myself and not feel like a dork, they act like it's no big deal? Come on.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I can identify with that, too. After putting in that "effort" to express myself and not feel like a dork, they act like it's no big deal? Come on.
    Now you know how we (perceivers) feel when we do meet a deadline.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women