User Tag List

First 3272808182838492132182 Last

Results 811 to 820 of 2615

Thread: Ask an ESTJ!

  1. #811
    [bento boxed] EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StephMC View Post
    Ah, yes, that definitely helped! Thanks! I swear, after we started going our different ways he became a -very- different person than I was used to, so it's really nice to hear reason from a rational ESTJ again
    "Rational ESTJ"... Compliment of the day! Thanks!
    Is that a common response if an ESTJ feels "rejected" (I say this because every time he got worked up he said he wasn't used to feeling "rejected")? It was like a split personality... he became argumentative, belligerent, somewhat boastful and arrogant... almost everything he wasn't before (or I'm starting to wonder if it's "everything he didn't want me to see before" ).
    I think it's pretty typical of anyone to feel very hurt when someone breaks up with them, but ESTJs aren't generally the type to "play the victim", and what you're describing sounds like how ESTJs generally act when they get hurt, i.e. angry and self-assured on the outside, wallowing in sad, insecure emotions on the inside. Definitely not a split personality, and definitely not a side of him that he was hiding from you. Generally, with ESTJs, what you see is what you get, so you can be sure that he either rarely or never faked anything with you. At least, until now, since he's hiding his vulnerability, and, presumably, his lingering affection for you.

    Anyways, you're right, I need to initiate some real closure. I've tried before but it never ended well. I think I was pushing for it too soon, though. Maybe after enough time without contact allowed for both of us to get some perspective so we can talk like rational people again. In fact, that's what I liked most about our relationship... we didn't "fight." We would converse.. without anyone getting worked up. Not the case anymore, but hopefully it will be again.
    That should definitely help. I think that what'll really make things better again, besides closure from you, is time for him to get over it and forgive you. Honestly, anything that can't be solved with closure that you initiate is his problem, so if it doesn't end up working out, you are not to blame.

    Again, not sure if that will fix everything, but there's a good chance. Thanks for the question, and good luck!
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  2. #812
    Writing... Tamske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    These are nice insights, but I do hope I'll never need them!

    The discussion at the (now again somewhat active) "ask an ENTP" thread makes me want to ask another question here.

    How do you cope with "real work" versus "appearance of working"?
    Yesterday, I was supposed to be at school, not to teach but to prepare for an "open school day". Apparently, this meant "teachers standing together discussing about who would be getting a job next year and complaining about the unfairness in the system allocating jobs to teachers."
    If you looked from the door, this really looked like "serious business being done", while, as you see, no work is being done.
    I went away (which would probably land me some bad reputation) and found dishes to be done, so I happily started on them. Another teacher came and helped. For some reason, the talk turned to quantum mechanics and relativity theory. I explained how they worked, the other teacher kept on asking questions, and I had a very good time. Real work was being done, but it didn't appear like working because we were laughing and making gestures (meaning things like "electron on speed") all the time.

    My husband absolutely hates company meetings, especially if it's only about mission statements or the colour they have to use on their slideshows.

    How do you cope with it? What if all your colleages are on the "appear working" track and you don't want to? If you have to supervise people, how would you discern between the two? How would you convince your supervisor that, in fact, you did work?
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

  3. #813
    [bento boxed] EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    These are nice insights, but I do hope I'll never need them!

    The discussion at the (now again somewhat active) "ask an ENTP" thread makes me want to ask another question here.

    How do you cope with "real work" versus "appearance of working"?
    Yesterday, I was supposed to be at school, not to teach but to prepare for an "open school day". Apparently, this meant "teachers standing together discussing about who would be getting a job next year and complaining about the unfairness in the system allocating jobs to teachers."
    If you looked from the door, this really looked like "serious business being done", while, as you see, no work is being done.
    I went away (which would probably land me some bad reputation) and found dishes to be done, so I happily started on them. Another teacher came and helped. For some reason, the talk turned to quantum mechanics and relativity theory. I explained how they worked, the other teacher kept on asking questions, and I had a very good time. Real work was being done, but it didn't appear like working because we were laughing and making gestures (meaning things like "electron on speed") all the time.

    My husband absolutely hates company meetings, especially if it's only about mission statements or the colour they have to use on their slideshows.

    How do you cope with it? What if all your colleages are on the "appear working" track and you don't want to? If you have to supervise people, how would you discern between the two? How would you convince your supervisor that, in fact, you did work?
    I really hate the "appearing to work" behaviors that you're describing. I'd much rather that they cut the BS and actually get something done. I get especially frustrated when people bitch at me about a problem, without actually showing any interest in getting it done (which is similar to the "open school day" prep that you were describing earlier).

    How I'd know whether the people I'm supervising were appearing to work or actually working would be thus: I know what working is supposed to look like, and I have a subconscious list of what behaviors are "work" and which aren't. If I see what someone is doing, and it's on my internal list of "productive" things, then I'll leave them to it, regardless of their mood or conversations as they work (that is, as long as I know that the conversations won't get in the way of their productivity). In other words, I would have been totally fine with your washing the dishes with the other teachers. However, I would have listened to the conversations of the chatting people at the "open school day" prep and noticed that they weren't doing what they were supposed to be doing, so I would have gone up to them and told them that they needed to actually be planning, instead of complaining.
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  4. #814
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I really hate the "appearing to work" behaviors that you're describing. I'd much rather that they cut the BS and actually get something done. I get especially frustrated when people bitch at me about a problem, without actually showing any interest in getting it done (which is similar to the "open school day" prep that you were describing earlier).

    How I'd know whether the people I'm supervising were appearing to work or actually working would be thus: I know what working is supposed to look like, and I have a subconscious list of what behaviors are "work" and which aren't. If I see what someone is doing, and it's on my internal list of "productive" things, then I'll leave them to it, regardless of their mood or conversations as they work (that is, as long as I know that the conversations won't get in the way of their productivity). In other words, I would have been totally fine with your washing the dishes with the other teachers. However, I would have listened to the conversations of the chatting people at the "open school day" prep and noticed that they weren't doing what they were supposed to be doing, so I would have gone up to them and told them that they needed to actually be planning, instead of complaining.
    Hi E,

    My entp best friend I work with and I have noticed a weird trend among ISTJs-they first need to explain what is bothering them about a situation, need to make sure someone validates that complaint, then they will formulate a plan to solve the problem. It sounds a little bit like the bitch sessions Tamske mentioned above. I think in reality-they want to make sure painful mistakes made in the past dont get repeated again in the future-thus the affirmation really is more mutual acknowledgment of a past screw-up, then formation of a new plan that doesnt repeat the past.

    The ISTJ behavior drives my entp insane, while instead I will quickly affirm, validate, then push them all to begin planning a new way forward. ( I do adore them but they are all kinda depressed right now, so I try and cut them a little slack.)

    So my question-it doesnt sound like an ESTJ needs this external affirmation of mistakes messed up in the past? How do you make sure that a group is not overly optimistic or ignoring mistakes from the past? Do you have a lessons learned approach to start the meeting? If you note someone ignoring lessons from the past would you call them out?

    (also a thing I have noted from my two estj bosses-they found me a bit bizarre as I never appear to be working-yet would deliver without a problem. After a few rounds of this I sort of got a mental tag in their minds of "That one is weird, but just leave it alone and it produces" even though I appear to be anti-productive)

  5. #815
    [bento boxed] EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    Hi E,

    My entp best friend I work with and I have noticed a weird trend among ISTJs-they first need to explain what is bothering them about a situation, need to make sure someone validates that complaint, then they will formulate a plan to solve the problem. It sounds a little bit like the bitch sessions Tamske mentioned above. I think in reality-they want to make sure painful mistakes made in the past dont get repeated again in the future-thus the affirmation really is more mutual acknowledgment of a past screw-up, then formation of a new plan that doesnt repeat the past.

    The ISTJ behavior drives my entp insane, while instead I will quickly affirm, validate, then push them all to begin planning a new way forward. ( I do adore them but they are all kinda depressed right now, so I try and cut them a little slack.)

    So my question-it doesnt sound like an ESTJ needs this external affirmation of mistakes messed up in the past? How do you make sure that a group is not overly optimistic or ignoring mistakes from the past? Do you have a lessons learned approach to start the meeting? If you note someone ignoring lessons from the past would you call them out?
    I actually do that too - i.e. what the ISTJs you were describing are doing. But for me, I only do that to a minimum, because, like you said, it's a means to an end. Instead of venting purely for catharsis (as so many types do), it's to get a second opinion, because my venting inevitably ends with "...but THIS is how it SHOULD be done!!!" And if the person I'm venting at (who is always someone I trust for advice; I pick my vent-ees carefully) tells me I'm overreacting, then I'll try to change my attitude. And otherwise, I'll plan accordingly.

    The reason why that sort of behavior doesn't bug me, when the venting sessions that Tamske was describing DO bug me, is because my venting is part of the problem-solving process, and theirs doesn't actually DO anything.

    (also a thing I have noted from my two estj bosses-they found me a bit bizarre as I never appear to be working-yet would deliver without a problem. After a few rounds of this I sort of got a mental tag in their minds of "That one is weird, but just leave it alone and it produces" even though I appear to be anti-productive)
    +1. That's exactly how I am, to a T, especially with my odd-duck ENTP friend and her equally odd INFJ boyfriend. I used to nag them about things (because I care), and then I realized how trustworthy they are, despite their methodology being different.
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  6. #816
    One day and the next Rainne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    899

    Default

    hi ESTJs

    do you relate to discarded, broken things and keep them because you believe that someday you'll have a 'use' for it?

  7. #817
    [bento boxed] EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainne View Post
    hi ESTJs

    do you relate to discarded, broken things and keep them because you believe that someday you'll have a 'use' for it?
    In my case: rarely. And when I do, it's not out of pity, or relating to the object. It's usually because of a spark of Ne - i.e, a sort of "Hey, that looks like something I could make something out of! If I repaired the bottom, it would make a really nice pencil holder..." But the difference is that, instead of keeping it in the hopes that someday something could be done with it, I keep it with a particular project or set of ideas in mind, and usually I end up doing what I wanted to do with it.

    A relevant (but not entirely the same as what I just described) anecdote: My mom had a stash of unused wooden chinese-food-takeout chopsticks that she was thinking about throwing away. I thought: "What a waste. Those could be used for something." And I promptly looked up "Chopstick craft projects" on Google, and found a project: Coasters. And then, a couple of days later, I made them.
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  8. #818
    Writing... Tamske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    This discussion makes me want to create an ESTJ-English dictionary.

    ESTJ - English
    "I planned your whole day for you" -> "I love you"
    "You need to finish that big project by next month" -> "I trust you"
    "Why don't you do it the normal way?" -> "I'm concerned that you mess up"
    "There is a chocolate duck sitting on the window sill" -> "I'm totally at ease with you and you're seeing my Ne at work"
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

  9. #819
    [bento boxed] EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    This discussion makes me want to create an ESTJ-English dictionary.

    ESTJ - English
    "I planned your whole day for you" -> "I love you"
    "You need to finish that big project by next month" -> "I trust you"
    "Why don't you do it the normal way?" -> "I'm concerned that you mess up"
    "There is a chocolate duck sitting on the window sill" -> "I'm totally at ease with you and you're seeing my Ne at work"
    I love it!

    I'll pitch in with an alternate translation for #3:
    "Why don't you do it the normal way?" -> "Your methods, though 'wrong', nonetheless intrigue me. Make your case, and I might change my mind about them being wrong."
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  10. #820
    [bento boxed] EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,249

    Default

    Illustrative example of an ESTJ in a fun-ish mood:

    TypeC Video #2 (the cooler one) on Vimeo
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] Ask an INTJ
    By logan235711 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 870
    Last Post: 05-22-2015, 05:04 AM
  2. [ISFJ] How to ask an ISFJ out?
    By Grungemouse in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 07:04 PM
  3. [MBTItm] How do you spot an ESTJ female?
    By INTJMom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 01:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO