User Tag List

Page 67 of 259 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask an ESTJ!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

^ I think, if it were me, the first instinct would be to wait in the hopes that he would say something first, not because of the tradition you mentioned, but because of the other thing you mentioned; i.e. I wouldn't want to ruin our beautiful friendship, and/or make things painful and awkward and sad. But after a certain amount of time, I would make that tough decision, and think to myself: "If I don't say it, then it won't ever be said, so I'd better do it." And then, even if I was scared as all hell to do it, I'd force myself to go up to him and profess my feelings.

I wouldn't give hints - that's not really my style. I'd rather just lay it out, and not make it difficult for him.

and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTP

Thanks! I've written a nice chunk now. It wasn't too easy, I prefer to describe action rather than feelings.

Related question: ESTJs, how do you know you're in love?
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

/X\(:: :: )/X\ Array BlueSprout's Avatar
    MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

ESTJs: hello from the shadow side.

- What kinds of books/periodicals do you like to read? What about them appeals to you?
    - What kinds of gifts do you like receiving and why? Is there such thing as a gift that is too cliche or too impersonal?
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

°cataplum!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSprout View Post
    ESTJs: hello from the shadow side.

- What kinds of books/periodicals do you like to read? What about them appeals to you?
    - What kinds of gifts do you like receiving and why? Is there such thing as a gift that is too cliche or too impersonal?
    Hello back!

- I like to read entertaining books - ones that spend more time on action. Don't take that to mean that I can't read dense books, or that I'm shallow, reading-wise - I just like it when stuff happens in books. I can still appreciate the nuances and such. Three of my favorite books at the moment are "America: The Book" by Jon Stewart et. al, "The Pirates! in an Adventure with Communists" by Gideon Defoe, and "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" by Jeff Lindsay. I like the first two because they're hilarious in a surprisingly smart way (with inside jokes for their more nerdy readers), and I like the third because I find the lead character to be fascinating, and his narration is so much fun to read.

Oh! You mentioned periodicals too. Well, the magazines I most enjoy reading are fashion magazines (b/c a friend of mine and I have a traditions of writing silly comments in the margins and then exchanging them, reading them and laughing a lot), as well as fluff like Entertainment Weekly. I subscribe to The Economist, but sometimes it feels like a chore to read, even if it is interesting. I like The Atlantic a lot, too, and from the times I've read GQ, I've thought that if I were a man, I'd subscribe. If only there were an equally smart female version...

I also read the New York Times online every day, and sometimes The Guardian, when people send me articles.

- I like gifts that I need, and/or gifts I could use, and that could save me trouble/money. I, unlike many, actually really like getting gift cards, as long as they're to stores that I go to. Even if it's a cop-out, it's a useful cop-out. This also includes clothes, etc. But I dislike getting gifts where it seems like someone thought "Hey! She's a girl, so of COURSE she'll like THIS!", e.g. Bath and Body Works lotion. I like it when you can tell that thought has actually been put into the gift, or that the person went "Hey, she likes this sort of thing, so I'll buy it for her".

Hope that helps

and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

/X\(:: :: )/X\ Array BlueSprout's Avatar
    MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Hello back!

- I like to read entertaining books - ones that spend more time on action. Don't take that to mean that I can't read dense books, or that I'm shallow, reading-wise - I just like it when stuff happens in books. I can still appreciate the nuances and such. Three of my favorite books at the moment are "America: The Book" by Jon Stewart et. al, "The Pirates! in an Adventure with Communists" by Gideon Defoe, and "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" by Jeff Lindsay. I like the first two because they're hilarious in a surprisingly smart way (with inside jokes for their more nerdy readers), and I like the third because I find the lead character to be fascinating, and his narration is so much fun to read.

Oh! You mentioned periodicals too. Well, the magazines I most enjoy reading are fashion magazines (b/c a friend of mine and I have a traditions of writing silly comments in the margins and then exchanging them, reading them and laughing a lot), as well as fluff like Entertainment Weekly. I subscribe to The Economist, but sometimes it feels like a chore to read, even if it is interesting. I like The Atlantic a lot, too, and from the times I've read GQ, I've thought that if I were a man, I'd subscribe. If only there were an equally smart female version...

I also read the New York Times online every day, and sometimes The Guardian, when people send me articles.

- I like gifts that I need, and/or gifts I could use, and that could save me trouble/money. I, unlike many, actually really like getting gift cards, as long as they're to stores that I go to. Even if it's a cop-out, it's a useful cop-out. This also includes clothes, etc. But I dislike getting gifts where it seems like someone thought "Hey! She's a girl, so of COURSE she'll like THIS!", e.g. Bath and Body Works lotion. I like it when you can tell that thought has actually been put into the gift, or that the person went "Hey, she likes this sort of thing, so I'll buy it for her".

Hope that helps
    It does. Thanks for the thorough response.

So, to recap, books should be witty, entertaining and fast-paced; periodicals can be informative and entertaining, but in any case should be easy to pick up and put down at your leisure; ideal gifts are often practical ones but they should always be clearly picked with their intended recipient in mind and show thoughtfulness?

I hope this is right. The reason I ask is that I don't know any ESTJs at the moment, so I am curious about their likes/dislikes and interests. Hopefully knowing what ESTJs might like to read will help me build a connection the next time I get a chance to talk to one. The gift thing was out of curiosity, because I thought STJs might appreciate utility, but didn't want to make assumptions.

Thanks once again.
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

°cataplum!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSprout View Post
    It does. Thanks for the thorough response.

So, to recap, books should be witty, entertaining and fast-paced; periodicals can be informative and entertaining, but in any case should be easy to pick up and put down at your leisure; ideal gifts are often practical ones but they should always be clearly picked with their intended recipient in mind and show thoughtfulness?

I hope this is right. The reason I ask is that I don't know any ESTJs at the moment, so I am curious about their likes/dislikes and interests. Hopefully knowing what ESTJs might like to read will help me build a connection the next time I get a chance to talk to one. The gift thing was out of curiosity, because I thought STJs might appreciate utility, but didn't want to make assumptions.

Thanks once again.
    Your recap is exactly right. I'm glad you asked about the gifts - even though practical gifts are nice, it's only to a certain extent. I can just imagine, as an example, an ignorant but well-meaning non-ESTJ getting an ESTJ a really, really boring - though useful - gift, and the ESTJ being sad and disappointed about it. So there IS a bit more to it.

No problem! I'm always glad to help

and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

Striving for balance Array Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Just curious, EJCC, what is your enneagram - do you know?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

^ I don't like the Enneagram very much. None of the descriptions seem 100% right to me, and a lot of them seem very, very extreme and one-dimensional - i.e. I'll read a description and go "Yeah, I'm like that, but I sure as heck don't go THAT far!!!". Some people on TypeC think I'm a 6, but I'm pretty sure, on reflection, that I'm a 1.

Here's a link to a relevant post.

and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

Striving for balance Array Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    ^ I don't like the Enneagram very much. None of the descriptions seem 100% right to me, and a lot of them seem very, very extreme and one-dimensional - i.e. I'll read a description and go "Yeah, I'm like that, but I sure as heck don't go THAT far!!!". Some people on TypeC think I'm a 6, but I'm pretty sure, on reflection, that I'm a 1.

Here's a link to a relevant post.
    Just read your link. WOW, I relate to you so much - it's crazy! That's one of the reasons why I wanted to ask you because you're the first person I thought of who might be able to shed some light. Thanks for helping - I do appreciate it.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    ...you're the first person I thought of who might be able to shed some light.

and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?