• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTJ] Ask an ESTJ!

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Apologies if this has been asked before. I've been reading through this thread, but it's very very long. ;) My question (or possible future questions) is born partly of EJCC's helpfulness in a thread about being allowed to have the feelings I have ;) and partly of a desire to understand more about ESTJs, because they do tend to get a bad rap and I'm sure I've known at least a few to several, and would like to have more of a clue.

However, these questions are going to be a bit on the negative side ;) sorry!

Would you say that ESTJs generally have a hard time controlling their anger - or if they don't show it most of the time or for a long time, would it tend to be explosive and (to a casual observer) somewhat out of control when it surfaces?

And would you say that if an ESTJ has exploded, they are likely to be somewhat oblivious as to the degree of their anger and aggressiveness? Ie. when you call them on it later, they look surprised and are either a bit irritated when you say "you were pretty angry back there", or even a bit amused? Or their later description of the incident is something like "discussion", while others observing describe it as "yelling his/her head off."

I've seen behaviour somewhat like this, or have heard it described by others who have seen it, in a couple of people who I think may be ESTJs. But I'm not too sure...

Thanks!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Apologies if this has been asked before. I've been reading through this thread, but it's very very long. ;)
+1 already, and I haven't even read the question yet! :laugh:
However, these questions are going to be a bit on the negative side ;) sorry!
Another +1 for apologizing in advance :) Usually people don't do that - because they don't realize that it can be annoying. Nothing against them, but... Sigh :dont:

Would you say that ESTJs generally have a hard time controlling their anger - or if they don't show it most of the time or for a long time, would it tend to be explosive and (to a casual observer) somewhat out of control when it surfaces?
:yes: Yes.

And would you say that if an ESTJ has exploded, they are likely to be somewhat oblivious as to the degree of their anger and aggressiveness? Ie. when you call them on it later, they look surprised and are either a bit irritated when you say "you were pretty angry back there", or even a bit amused? Or their later description of the incident is something like "discussion", while others observing describe it as "yelling his/her head off."
Kind of? Although, to be fair, I don't yell. :nono:

I have a specific idea in my head of what an ESTJ "explosion" is, and when that happens, I always know it, always feel bad about it, and always apologize afterwards and explain that "I wasn't mad at you; I was mad at this particular situation, I was stressed out, I haven't gotten enough sleep, etc." That type of explosion is a short outburst - usually of frustration or righteous indignation. The type of situation you're talking about involves a different type of anger; i.e. frustration at a specific person's argument; I make my definition that specific because it only happens to me when I'm arguing with someone. Usually, just like you said, I find myself surprised at people's interpretations of how I act in those situations because, even though I know I'm angry, I am legitimately interested in what I'm arguing about, and I have no ulterior motives. I wonder sometimes whether it's just my body language and verbal mannerisms that get in the way, or whether my word choice is also problematic, because I always feel completely rational in that sort of situation; I feel like my anger is simmering but by no means exploding. As much as other people may misunderstand it, I know that it is not the sort of anger which could ever escalate into a fight, because I am not angry at the person; I'm angry at their argument.

I also think (and I'm interested in other people's feedback on this) that it's a good example of detail-vs.-big-picture misunderstanding, just like what was mentioned on the previous page. I don't take that sort of interchange personally. I may be frustrated with other people's arguments, but my frustration is almost always due to a lack of understanding of why they believe what they do - and therefore a gut feeling that their argument is "stupid" - so I really want them to ease my frustration by showing me that their argument isn't stupid; or, if it is stupid, I want them to give me an opportunity to convince them of my argument's correctness.

And if I do seem like I take it personally (especially if I've lost the debate), it isn't because I feel like they've hurt me personally, and I'm not angry at them (unless they were insulting as they debated - which, no matter how angry I am, I try not to be). I'm angry that I was wrong, and I'm embarrassed to have been proven wrong in front of everyone. But I know deep down that what matters most is that I now have the right opinion, and that reassures me in the end.

But again, I'm thinking out loud. Not totally sure.

Also, for the record, your post was very tactful and not offensive at all. :) I was somehow expecting much worse - which I shouldn't have! Your Fe has served you well. :laugh:

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for that. So, am I right in thinking that part of what you're saying is that ESTJs may have issues with anger, and may be somewhat-to-very unaware of how angry they're coming across - but their anger tends to be with the situation, not with the person? So they might have a hard time understanding how hurt or scared the other person might be, feeling that the anger is really directed at them?

Here's another question, though it's kind of a weird one, and maybe hard to answer:

What does an ESTJ admire about Ni/an Ni user? And what drives them absolutely nuts about Ni and Ni users?

The reason I wouldn't be surprised if you have a hard time answering this is because I don't think Ni is flamingly obvious. I mean, I am an Ni user but I think I have a hard time picking up on it in others. :cheese:

As for the Fe compliment, thanks ;) I have to say, I do a good line in Fe. ;) Sometimes too good, I think. I am known as a diplomat, but when extended too far it can be door-mattery. I am less of a doormat than I once was and am discovering the slightly vertigo-inducing and terrifying pleasures and rewards of standing up for myself and sometimes being tough and even slightly mean. ;) It's an area where I'm really seeking a balance in my life currently.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for that. So, am I right in thinking that part of what you're saying is that ESTJs may have issues with anger, and may be somewhat-to-very unaware of how angry they're coming across - but their anger tends to be with the situation, not with the person? So they might have a hard time understand how hurt or scared the other person might be, feeling that the anger is really directed at them?
I believe so, yes. Although the degree to which that happens - and the frequency of events like that - depends very much on the ESTJ in question. Also, I think it depends on who the ESTJ is talking to. If it weren't for debating with people who take the angry tone in stride, ESTJs would probably be more cautious. But I've had plenty of debates - mostly with ENTPs and INTPs - which other people misinterpret as fights, but we are completely fine with. Maybe NTPs share that trait - i.e. that their frustration is situational, and they don't take heated arguments personally. Maybe it's Ne vs. Ni.

Again - not sure. Feedback?
Here's another question, though it's kind of a weird one, and maybe hard to answer:

What does an ESTJ admire about Ni/an Ni user? And what drives them absolutely nuts about Ni and Ni users?

The reason I wouldn't be surprised if you have a hard time answer this is because I don't think Ni is flamingly obvious. I mean, I am an Ni user but I think I have a hard time picking up on it in others. :cheese:
Hmmmmm. I'm not sure about things that I admire about them, at the moment (and don't take that the wrong way!). I would say out-of-the-box thinking, but Ne users have that too. I guess... I admire that they get to the same place through a completely different route. I admire that because I can't relate to it at all, so it strikes me as impressive, even though it's probably second-nature to Ni users. I dunno - I'll get back to you on this.

But I'm a lot more certain as to what bugs me about them... based on the fact that a large number of my friends are Ni users (INFJ, INTJ, ENTJ, ESFP, ENFJ) - is that they often don't strike me as very open-minded. My conversational priorities are very different from theirs sometimes; what they call a "discussion" is mob-mentality venting about an issue, whereas I'd rather gather information and weigh pros and cons; keeping the issue from becoming oversimplified. And if I'm on the other side of that equation (i.e. if I'm venting about an issue), I don't mind hearing opposing opinions most of the time, because that makes the conversation more enlightening and interesting. But if I offer up an opposing opinion on an issue when talking with these friends, it's like talking to a wall; it bounces off them, it means nothing, they hardly address my point, and pretty soon it becomes a vent-fest again - which leads to me feeling resentful and irritated. Talking to Ne types - especially xNTPs - is much more of my style.

This depends on the Ni user too, though - after all, I can have really interesting pro/con discussions with my ENFJ friend.
As for the Fe compliment, thanks ;) I have to say, I do a good line in Fe. ;) Sometimes too good, I think. I am known as a diplomat, but when extended too far it can be door-mattery. I am less of a doormat than I once was and am discovering the slightly vertigo-inducing and terrifying pleasures and rewards of standing up for myself and sometimes being tough and even slightly mean. ;) It's an area where I'm really seeking a balance in my life currently.
That's the eternal struggle, with our extraverted functions; In my case, I always need to strike a balance between being assertive and being an asshole. :laugh: Usually I err on the side of caution, but that's because I have a fear of being disliked, which a lot of ESTJs don't have.

EDIT: I just figured it out! But I have to divide it up:

1. I admire Ni and Fe in conjunction because I wish I could figure out how people are feeling and what they need etc as efficiently as Ni/Fe users do. That would be so useful!! Jealousy :mad:
2. I admire Ni and Te in conjunction because Ni/Te users are better with making BIG changes; I tend to operate within the pre-existing system, and I'm impressed by people who don't need to do that. (Ne users may be like this too, but Ni/Te users can be a lot more organized about it. I can't imagine living in the chaotic world of an NTP :laugh:)

Although, recently, I've started to get annoyed by needless entrepreneurship; i.e. people who want to make their own new things regardless of whether it's already been done, and regardless of whether that thing is necessary at all. I suppose it's a balance.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
1. I admire Ni and Fe in conjunction because I wish I could figure out how people are feeling and what they need etc as efficiently as Ni/Fe users do. That would be so useful!! Jealousy :mad:
I don't think you need to be jealous. Even great Ni/Fe users get it wrong sometimes. Ni tends to make elaborate plans where a simpler solution would work as well or even better. Of worry about unrealistic things. Needs a reality check sometimes.
Don't want to imply the Ni/Fe is always doing such things. But people tend to see both strenghts and weaknesses from their own dominant way and only the strengths of the other.
As long as you don't get into the "failing Ni/Fe mode" too often, I'm happy :)
2. I admire Ni and Te in conjunction because Ni/Te users are better with making BIG changes; I tend to operate within the pre-existing system, and I'm impressed by people who don't need to do that.
And then they'll need you for maintenance :D
(Ne users may be like this too, but Ni/Te users can be a lot more organized about it. I can't imagine living in the chaotic world of an NTP :laugh:)
Chaotic? What do you mean, chaotic? :newwink: We aren't more chaotic than the universe. Sometimes reality says to my Ne "you can do better!"

Anna intuitive

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Hi EJCC, I haven't got a question, but I have been reading your thread, up to 64 so far, in order to try to sort myself out concerning my difficult relationship with an colleague/supervisor/trainer who I am fairly sure is an ESTJ. And reading your thread has been extremely helpful, to see what in her is ESTJ, what in me is INFP reacting, what in both of us is our other issues, and so on.

For the next six days, I get to test out my new understanding. I am going to be training in five and a half day workshop with my ESTJ trainer. During the day I participate in the workshop, while also filling out quite a complicated form about how I understand the questions, the progression of the workshop and the facilitation. We then spend an hour after the workshop where I report on what I wrote and we discuss it. Up until now this has all been terribly stressful for me.

Now after reading your thread this is my theory: my problem is all about communication. I try to communicate my understanding of the workshop in my natural way, which is through intuitions and feelings. Then she does not understand this and I get confused and start to babble. Bad.

So this is what I am going to try. I am going to try and communicate my understanding of the workshop through sensory data (what I actually observed that happened during the workshop) and thinking. In other words I am going to try to express myself in a way that will be clear to my ESTJ trainer. This is not easy for me, but it is good for me - good type development for me to develop my inferior thinking function. It doesn't matter if I don't do it that well, because she is very accepting of me if I'm trying to fulfil the requirements in a way that makes sense to her.

I am also going to try to not start babbling, but just keep quiet when I have reported the simple observations as I wrote them.

Right! This is my task for this week. I will report to you if it went well next week when I get back.

To summarise: my ESTJ colleague/trainer is not out to get me. She just does not understand the way I express myself because it is so different from her way. So to solve the problem I will try to express myself in something closer to her way, so that there is communication.

EJCC, you have no idea how helpful it is that you consistently put yourself out there on this thread ready to patiently answer questions and communicate, from an ESTJ perspective. I want to acknowledge your good job, and now, particularly from me, that you didn't get bored and drop it some time down the line. Very ESTJ in all its strength to be so thorough and consistent, right?! I'm grateful...

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hi EJCC, I haven't got a question, but I have been reading your thread, up to 64 so far, in order to try to sort myself out concerning my difficult relationship with an colleague/supervisor/trainer who I am fairly sure is an ESTJ.
I'm so impressed! I've gotten to the point that I don't expect people to read the entire thread, since it's so old and so long. (Also, I'd like to think I've grown up a little in the year it's been since I started it.) So, props to you :nice:

And reading your thread has been extremely helpful, to see what in her is ESTJ, what in me is INFP reacting, what in both of us is our other issues, and so on.

For the next six days, I get to test out my new understanding. I am going to be training in five and a half day workshop with my ESTJ trainer. During the day I participate in the workshop, while also filling out quite a complicated form about how I understand the questions, the progression of the workshop and the facilitation. We then spend an hour after the workshop where I report on what I wrote and we discuss it. Up until now this has all been terribly stressful for me.

Now after reading your thread this is my theory: my problem is all about communication. I try to communicate my understanding of the workshop in my natural way, which is through intuitions and feelings. Then she does not understand this and I get confused and start to babble. Bad.

So this is what I am going to try. I am going to try and communicate my understanding of the workshop through sensory data (what I actually observed that happened during the workshop) and thinking. In other words I am going to try to express myself in a way that will be clear to my ESTJ trainer. This is not easy for me, but it is good for me - good type development for me to develop my inferior thinking function. It doesn't matter if I don't do it that well, because she is very accepting of me if I'm trying to fulfil the requirements in a way that makes sense to her.

I am also going to try to not start babbling, but just keep quiet when I have reported the simple observations as I wrote them.

Right! This is my task for this week. I will report to you if it went well next week when I get back.

To summarise: my ESTJ colleague/trainer is not out to get me. She just does not understand the way I express myself because it is so different from her way. So to solve the problem I will try to express myself in something closer to her way, so that there is communication.
You're such a good student! I'm so proud of you :hug: You are doing exactly what you should be doing - speaking directly, matter-of-factly, precisely, and in a linear fashion, about everything you've seen and surmised. I know it's hard, but it will minimize conflict and you'll have a much better relationship with the ESTJ as a result.

I'm excited to hear back from you once the week is done :D

EJCC, you have no idea how helpful it is that you consistently put yourself out there on this thread ready to patiently answer questions and communicate, from an ESTJ perspective. I want to acknowledge your good job, and now, particularly from me, that you didn't get bored and drop it some time down the line. Very ESTJ in all its strength to be so thorough and consistent, right?! I'm grateful...
I'm glad! :) It's been as helpful to me as it's been to the people I've talked to, because you know how ESTJs are with thinking out loud :doh: I've learned a lot about myself through this, so it's been more of an intellectual exercise. You know, self-improvement, in a quiet way - i.e. the only way that ESTJs are comfortable partaking in self-improvement. (We're all about settling our personal issues inconspicuously.) So, because that's been how I've thought about this, and because most people don't follow up with me about whether they've taken my advice or not, I'm always surprised by the fact that this thread has been useful in a practical sense. It gives me warm fuzzy feelings :wub: and makes me feel like I'm doing a good deed, by maintaining this thread.

I feel like it should be published somewhere, you know? I mean, so much work has gone into it. It should be somewhere besides this forum. Or that could just be me being vain.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESTJs, do you ever put people on your "to do" list? Has anyone ever complained that they feel like they are on a list of "to do's" with you?

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
Another ESTJ question -- what are your favorite ways to express love? To show support? And, the one I see least from the xSTJs in my life, show empathy? Are there ways that these are being shown that don't feel like empathy to me? What I notice is that all the xSTJs can rush to deal with concrete, visible things in an incredibly knowledgeable and efficient manner (e.g., the right tool for the right job, the perfect medicine when you're sick), but I could really use your perspective on how xSTJs, and ESTJs in particular, navigate the intangible issues that periodically happen in life.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ESTJs, do you ever put people on your "to do" list? Has anyone ever complained that they feel like they are on a list of "to do's" with you?
:huh: I suppose I do put people on my to-do list. But the way that I operate involves everything in my life being on a to-do list :laugh: so it's not something demeaning to anyone. If it is, then that means I demean everything in my life.

Also, no one has ever said that to me - thank god! I understand that negative connotation as much as anyone would, and that would hurt, if someone told me that :(
What I notice is that all the xSTJs can rush to deal with concrete, visible things in an incredibly knowledgeable and efficient manner (e.g., the right tool for the right job, the perfect medicine when you're sick), but I could really use your perspective on how xSTJs, and ESTJs in particular, navigate the intangible issues that periodically happen in life.
Well, we handle the "intangible issues" exactly the same way - by finding the right tool for the right job. :laugh: We do our best to make the intangibles tangible, because that's how we operate, and dealing with it any other way would confuse the hell out of us. We need standard operating procedure! We need to know what to do, and when to do it. Examples:
Another ESTJ question -- what are your favorite ways to express love? To show support?
Thoughtfulness. We show that we care by showing that we listen. One of my friends (an xNTP) is always surprised by how I follow up on things; there may have been a small moment in a conversation when she wished that she knew a certain fact, and then as soon as I get to Facebook I post an appropriate article on her wall. In terms of support - I can really only be straightforward and matter-of-fact. I'll do some thoughtful things to show that I'm there for the person (e.g. surprise them with a box of their favorite candy, or suggest something fun and distracting to go out and do to cheer them up), and then, knowing that those comforts are just a surface-level thing and can only do so much, I ask if there's anything I can do to ease the burden.

Beyond that - if you're trying to get me to do something through some Ni-related secret code thing, don't expect me to have any idea what you're talking about. As the daughter of an INTP and an INFJ, I know that my Ni mom has had to learn to be direct to help us Ne Thinking-dominants (i.e. my dad and I) in knowing what to do to make her feel better if she's upset.

And, the one I see least from the xSTJs in my life, show empathy? Are there ways that these are being shown that don't feel like empathy to me?
I'm not sure what empathy feels like to an INFJ, but I know that I show empathy in the same way that other Te/Fi types do. I was talking to a bunch of ENFPs about this on TypeC, a few months ago, and it seemed like all of us used the samed nice formula for it:

1. "I know how you're feeling, because I've been through something similar.
2. Here's what that similar thing was -
3. and here's how I dealt with it."

It's practical and goal-oriented, so it isn't Fe-ish or touchy-feely, but it comforts us and therefore we figure that it will comfort others. In my case, if I'm really upset about something, I want to know how to fix it, so I won't be upset anymore - and therefore I don't just want to hear "Aw, that's so sad, I feel your pain" and get a hug. Although that's very nice :) it is still best served with good advising.

Side note: #1 may be skipped altogether. Often the comforting process begins with "I had a similar thing happen to me once." Honestly, I only added step 1 because if an ESTJ has been well-trained in the art of adding fluff phrases (i.e. in attempting to fake Fe in order to function well in society), then they'll add that fluff phrase at the beginning.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
*remembers her manners* - thanks for your help EJCC! This makes things make a lot more sense to me. Knowing how to evaluate now, I guess I have some fantastic xSTJs in my life. Still, it's like the premise of 5 love languages - you want to be loved/supported the way you want to be loved and supported, and sometimes that means learning how. I guess now I know what I need to do to make my xSTJ feel supported, and that means get to work. Care about the details. Do things and do them well. And be really, really thoroughly attentive to sick people.

If I could choose my personality type, I might choose ESTJ - it looks the most convenient and marketable (as in, you'd be good at so many different types of jobs in different environments). But we don't choose our types, unfortunately.

Just a follow-up question... if your friend comes to you and has been dealing with something that you simply CAN'T relate to (e.g., I'm back from war, I was raped as a child, there's a situation at work I can't resolve), then what to do? Do you still follow up with the most similar experience you've got in your accessible memory?

And what does an ESTJ do when he or she is sad? That doesn't seem like there's a "tool" except maybe exercise?

And one more thing - would the things you mention above feel comforting to you? If so, how comforting? Would it be the perfect, ideal thing to do?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*mouth agape*
:cheese: :laugh:
*remembers her manners* - thanks for your help EJCC! This makes things make a lot more sense to me. Knowing how to evaluate now, I guess I have some fantastic xSTJs in my life. Still, it's like the premise of 5 love languages - you want to be loved/supported the way you want to be loved and supported, and sometimes that means learning how. I guess now I know what I need to do to make my xSTJ feel supported, and that means get to work. Care about the details. Do things and do them well. And be really, really thoroughly attentive to sick people.
:yes: Yes, exactly. The good thing about ESTJs, though, is that - assuming they're healthy - if you have a serious heart-to-heart with them about what you need from them in certain situations, they WILL care enough to do exactly what you told them to do. In other words, they're great at learning other love languages :)

And ftr, there are a LOT of times when I like the INFJ love language better - but sometimes all I want is advice. Your example of taking care of sick people is perfect, though - it's funny that both of my parents had that parenting style, where if I said that I had a cold, they'd go "Did you take such-and-such pill? Have you been getting enough sleep? This is what you should do." Even my Fe mom would keep the "Poor boo-boo!" comments to a minimum :laugh: because she's too much of a type-A enneagram 1 (or 2w1?) to be un-productive!

If I could choose my personality type, I might choose ESTJ - it looks the most convenient and marketable (as in, you'd be good at so many different types of jobs in different environments). But we don't choose our types, unfortunately.
:laugh: See, I find that adaptability to be a curse. It doesn't help that I have so many interests, due to my Ne-generated enthusiasm for all things new and interesting - and due to the differences between what my parents made me good at (i.e. music, the arts, popular science) and what I'm naturally good at (memorizing facts, acing tests, doing ridiculously monotonous and boring shit for long periods of time). I often wish I had just one or two marketable skills so that I didn't have to make such tough career decisions.
Just a follow-up question... if your friend comes to you and has been dealing with something that you simply CAN'T relate to (e.g., I'm back from war, I was raped as a child, there's a situation at work I can't resolve), then what to do? Do you still follow up with the most similar experience you've got in your accessible memory?
No - I would consider that to be insulting. How could I possibly begin to compare what I've been through to what they've been through? That is, unless I were also raped as a child, or if I had even experienced some lesser form of physical or psychological abuse - in which case I would use the same process: "I went through this horrible thing too, and this particular psychologist/support group has been a miracle for me..."

Generally, though, I'll just tell them that I'm there for them if they need me, and I'll try to be generally more cheery and fun than normal, and suggesting more fun things to do. And if that does nothing, then I'll ask them again, and if they say there's nothing I can do, then I'll leave them alone for the most part - or at least treat it like it was any other day (only without making as many jokes).

And what does an ESTJ do when he or she is sad? That doesn't seem like there's a "tool" except maybe exercise?
I go through the same process that I go through when I'm trying to comfort someone who's sad - i.e. I go "I'm sad, I hate feeling sad, this thing is causing me to feel sad, so I need to get rid of that thing!" A real-life example: "I'm feeling down. It's probably because I haven't seen my friends in a while. I'll text them and see if they want to do dinner tonight."

If that doesn't work, and it's something that can't be easily resolved, then I desperately seek out advice from friends/family and/or people I know would be knowledgeable on similar issues, e.g. "Hey, this has happened to you before - how did you deal with it?" And if that doesn't work, then I have internal issues to deal with. And if I'm incapable of solving those issues... then it's time to see a psychologist! :laugh:

And one more thing - would the things you mention above feel comforting to you? If so, how comforting? Would it be the perfect, ideal thing to do?
I think so! But only when whatever's bothering me is fixable. I am willing to concede that, in terms of comforting people who have to deal with uncertainty and sadness that they can only deal with internally (i.e. a very very serious issue, with Fi types anyways; the more serious the issue, the less likely I am to talk about it, because of the thought process I describe earlier in this post), then the xxFJ method is better. You guys are incredible with that. :yes:

Anna intuitive

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
First of all: I also had the feeling that the content of this thread could be useful to people beyond the website, as it has been to me, but then I can't quite see what format it could fit into. Are there enough people who understand MBTI to be able to market a book called "Ask an ESTJ!". That's basically the question. The information is really valuable, and not to be found elsewhere, but are there enough people who understand MBTI to make it practical to publish? I'm not sure. And are there other formats, for example on the Internet, that I'm not aware of?

Report back!: I tried out my new strategy with my ESTJ trainer. Each day I worked for over an hour after the workshop to fill out my report on what I understood about the workshop so as to be ready for our meeting time with her. Fortunately it was a live-in workshop so it was possible to do that. I enjoyed doing it actually because it was part of me improving myself as a trainer. I didn’t worry too much about reporting in a sensing and thinking way after the first day. I was just thorough and systematic in my approach, which I like to be anyway.

It was well worth taking that time, which we are not required to do, in order to be calm in the meeting, instead of stressed out.

Then I paid especial attention to a few things:

Not talking outside the point (I failed a few times on this)

I paid also attention to the word “neutral”. You once answered Fidelia, I think it was, that you as an ESTJ would prefer if someone was indifferent to you than if they hated you.

This was a clue to me to act what I would call neutral towards my ESTJ especially around work matters. I saw that this suits her well. We are there to get the job done, right?

I also saw that when we are off-duty she can be playful and she can talk about here and now stuff or little stories about something that actually happened in the past (but not too much). My ESTJ doesn’t like to talk, but I think that was because she was brought up on a farm where the family were the only workers, so from little she worked very hard in the fields and there was no time to play or talk. It may not go with the type. According to your posts a while back you like to talk, more especially in discussions with guys. (Sorry if I am getting you wrong here.) So a question for you, what topics do you like to talk about? How do the discussions develop?

To get back to her, I can also be a bit playful around her and I can talk about here and now stuff at meals and so on, and not too much, in other words fit in with her style. I can do this because it is not difficult. It makes a harmonious atmosphere and that is important to me.

Something else happened. In the workshop and in the meeting after the workshop I challenged her more and asked her more questions than usual, which I had not planned, but she did not take it badly. I would have expected her to react.

There is something I am not getting here. Why do I have the impression that in the past when I asked questions I would get withering scorn from her? Is it the kind of question?

How is this for you? If someone questions you about something at work, are there some questions that irritate you, and some that don’t? What would the difference be?

And, over all, this training process went very much better than it has done in the past. I didn’t get stressed and my ESTJ colleague and I got on OK in this neutral kind of way.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
@ Anna:
Questions to irritate an ESTJ:
- irrelevant ones
- vague ones
- if the ESTJ gets the impression he has to be polite to you. An ESTJ can handle "Am I doing well?" or "How do you like my work?" very well if only he is sure you accept criticism. Otherwise, he wil sort of panic, like the stereotypical man panics if his wife asks whether she should wear the blue or the white shoes.

@ EJCC: about Ti/Fe sympathy:
Ti - Find out the cause to the person's discomfort.
Fe - Make him feel better, make him know I'm on his side and I'm here to help
Of course, if there's a problem to be solved, we'll solve the problem too! But to me the empathy work is "done" when we get to the "solve problem" phase.

about the "ask an ESTJ" book - can be nice, but indeed, you'll need to rework it a bit. I think the biggest hurdle is somehow make a whole out of it. Explain the readers what's it all about. Ideally, I think, MBTI should even not be mentioned, especially not in the title! Because there's a lot in it that holds for other (nearby) types too. I'm more thinking along the lines of "why men don't listen and women can't read maps". The sort of title which makes a layman get an idea. There are much more MBTI laymen in the world than experts :) and it's them you want to reach. After all, lots of people deal with ESTJs in their lives and it'll be nice to be able to help them!
Further, you'll need to cut and paste A LOT. Order among topics. Eliminate or merge discussions when they are too similar.
I'd like to help with the first problem (I'm actually already brainstorming on it...) but I cringe if I think about the second one. That will take a lot of time and it'll be a really boring work... I guess I'll leave that to the SJs! :D

About being good at lots of things: that's a gift, not a curse. Combine them all, NeTamske says! I'd love to quote a mentor again (I'm sure I've done that already here) - lots of people are good in one thing and choose that one thing to excel, but if you really want to be exceptional, combine two or more of your talents! Why do you think physics, schools etc play a prominent role in my stories?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
So... EJCC... what makes you positive you're an ESTJ? When/how did you come to this conclusion?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
So... EJCC... what makes you positive you're an ESTJ? When/how did you come to this conclusion?
This could be a very good beginning of the book, together with "why are you glad you're an ESTJ?"

estjperson

it looks like the whole world doesn't like entjs. i mean it is a bit ridiculous the general vibe people have toward a personality classification. i mean my god, we are all human.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:hi: I'm mostly settled into my new apartment in my new city and FIIIINALLY have internet service at said apartment, so I thought I'd jump in here for a minute. This will hopefully happen more often as I get into the swing of things with being back at school. :yes:

A few thoughts on previous posts before I try to sleep...

My favorite ways of showing love? Touch, a letter honestly expressing my positive feelings for the person, a thoughtful gift (it shows I've thought of the person!).

Anger- I've talked a lot about this before, and I don't know if this is what you're looking for... it takes very little to annoy me but a WHOLE LOT to make me really angry. On the rare occasions I lash out at someone in anger, I realize what I've done pretty much right away and own up/apologize ASAP. Usually I don't say things I don't mean in anger; I say things that I've been trying NOT to say, mean/irritated things that I've been biting back.

Questions that irritate this ESTJ: Um, mostly ones where it looks like you're sucking up or are fishing for compliments. I tend to ask *a lot* of questions in almost every circumstance (I'm the most irritating medical/dental patient ever! :laugh:) so I am tolerant of people asking a lot of questions.

If faced with a friend who was dealing with a horrible experience that I have no concept of- I'd acknowledge to hir that I have no concept of it, yet try to recall the nearest thing in my experience and support hir in any way I can. Listening, refering to resources, etc.

I do put people on my "to do list", but like EJCC said, *everything* is on the to-do list-- it's definitely not meant to be a personal affront! :hug:

Dealing with sadness-- I've got to say, as I've said before, that I've become a lot more comfortable with my emotions than an ESTJ would be straight out of the box, due to circumstances I've been through in my life. Dealing with emotions (my own and others') was *definitely* a learned skill for me! When dealing with sadness I cry if I need to, write and process it out, be quiet for a while. Exercise is big for me, but it's better in dealing with anger or anxiety than it is for sadness.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
^ To be on an ESTJ's to-do list is a great compliment from the ESTJ in question! :wubbie:

@estjperson: are you talking about ENTJs or ESTJs now? Because both types seem to take some crap from the popular opinion. The former as the Big Bad Boss, the latter as the Nitpicking Manager trying to destroy your dreams. And indeed, it's quite ridiculous to condemn a whole group. But people tend to do this unless they know particular examples. I tend to like the ESTJs because I know a few of them and I like these people. I don't know any real-life ENTJs so for me, they still are "those goal-oriented big idea people" - an abstract group.

(Hm, would Nitpicking Manager not be a good title for EJCC's book?)