• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTJ] Ask an ESTJ!

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'll post an observation here...
My ESTJ husband can't procrastinate, but he can be lazy.
He will work diligently through the week, concentrating on nothing but his work, but when the weekend starts, it's WEEKEND. He doesn't check e-mails from work - that's for monday. He doesn't talk about work, unless there is something really interesting or he wants my opinion about something.
I'm totally the opposite. During week, I'm anticipating the weekend. During the weekend, I'm imagining the next lessons. I procrastinate a lot, but I can't be lazy. I'm restless.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Are you better with organization or with timeliness?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ In my case, organization, without a doubt.

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
4w3
I am pretty good with organization. Especially at work. Timeliness is also important with work and events. However on my days off I tend to let somethings slide. My house and car sometimes suffer. And if I haven't specifically said I am going to be somewhere at a certain time I show up fashionably late.

Dailtone

MBTI Type
ENFP
Procrastination just means double the work later.

This is the kind of common sense that needs to be hammered into to my skull a million times before it sinks in...and *stays* in

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
You've made a really helpful list of things you like about being an ESTJ...
Are there things you don't like about being an ESTJ? If so, please list them?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Here are some of them (in no particular order):

- The fact that most of my thinking is literal, hierarchical, and "inside the box"
- Lack of creative leadership (as opposed to by-the-book leadership)
- FEAR OF TAKING RISKS (GOD I wish that would go away)

I may come up with more later.

Honestly, though, I like being an ESTJ. What I HATE is being a 6.

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
You've made a really helpful list of things you like about being an ESTJ...
Are there things you don't like about being an ESTJ? If so, please list them?

-Too tense/uptight
-Pessimistic/cynical
-Need for approval
-The worst part is that it's tough to develop strong connections to anyone. Sure, I have the extrovert stereotype of "many acquaintances," but that doesn't mean I don't want closer connections with certain individuals. It seems sometimes like the feeling is never mutual.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
-Too tense/uptight
-Pessimistic/cynical
-Need for approval
-The worst part is that it's tough to develop strong connections to anyone. Sure, I have the extrovert stereotype of "many acquaintances," but that doesn't mean I don't want closer connections with certain individuals. It seems sometimes like the feeling is never mutual.
I love seeing other ESTJs here :hug: You bring up all this stuff that's TOTALLY TRUE that I completely overlook/forget about! Plus... I'm not alone anymore :cry: :wubbie: :D

But on to my point: I especially agree with the last of your three points. But for me, it's almost as if, most of the time, I don't WANT to make those connections - erm, I mean, I do, but without the bad stuff, you know? Like, I chat with them, and they connect with me, and I do a little bit as well, but I'm hesitant to take that step into the next friendship level. My hypothesis is that it means opening up, and opening up means a vulnerable spot opening up in your emotional armor that someone might stab into. What do you think?

BMEF

Hi! I have a few questions that I would like to ask..

Q1. How would you feel if you receive a thank-you letter from a younger person (or someone that has less authority than you)?

Q2. How would you feel and how would you react if someone told you that you are the role-model of their life?

Q3. How would you feel if someone offered you some help? For example, your friends asks you if he or she can help you set up the dining table or wash the dishes?

Q4. When you give people advice, how would you like them to respond? Would you want them to look at you straight through your eyes and silently nod their head? Would you like them to say something back to you?

Q5. How would you feel if someone makes you feel like "you're the boss, you're the one that is in charge, you're the expert/professional"?

Thank you in advanced! :)

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I love seeing other ESTJs here :hug: You bring up all this stuff that's TOTALLY TRUE that I completely overlook/forget about! Plus... I'm not alone anymore :cry: :wubbie: :D

But on to my point: I especially agree with the last of your three points. But for me, it's almost as if, most of the time, I don't WANT to make those connections - erm, I mean, I do, but without the bad stuff, you know? Like, I chat with them, and they connect with me, and I do a little bit as well, but I'm hesitant to take that step into the next friendship level. My hypothesis is that it means opening up, and opening up means a vulnerable spot opening up in your emotional armor that someone might stab into. What do you think?

Don't know if I have the right to comment as an ENFJ, but I think the one ESTJ friend I know, is very fragile if you get passed his armor.

He's an arrogant one though, and he doesn't take direction easily...I accidentally pushed a little too hard one time on something he needed to get moving on (naturally, it involved the decent treatment of certain people within the community). I realize now, I must've broke something, because we've never been the same since as friends. He had a similar experience with another, much older ENFJ that used to mentor him. Dude is like porcelan: extremely hard, but breaks easily.

I know this formula reverses over time with ESTJs, and I just wanna say, I love all you guys (I'm hardheaded in my own way, and y'all are awesome!). I don't think he'd ever give me the opportunity to apologize to him, but I am sorry about it (even if I was right ;)). :hug:

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
4w3
The things I don't like:
1. In relationships I am too intense for most other personality types
2. I have zero intuition in relationships
3. I am bad at keeping close friendships. I focus so much on completeing tasks
4. I wait for people to contact me and I don't contact them
5. When people tease me or give me a hard time, I feel I have to explain why I do what I do even though they are just joking around with me. I can't fight the urge to justify sometimes and just laugh.

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
4w3

Q1. How would you feel if you receive a thank-you letter from a younger person (or someone that has less authority than you)?

Q2. How would you feel and how would you react if someone told you that you are the role-model of their life?

Q3. How would you feel if someone offered you some help? For example, your friends asks you if he or she can help you set up the dining table or wash the dishes?

Q4. When you give people advice, how would you like them to respond? Would you want them to look at you straight through your eyes and silently nod their head? Would you like them to say something back to you?

Q5. How would you feel if someone makes you feel like "you're the boss, you're the one that is in charge, you're the expert/professional"?

Thank you in advanced! :)

A1. It wouldn't bother me at all. I love appreciation from anyone.

A2. I would be flattered and say thank-you.

A3. Offering help would be accepted. I never ask for help.

A4. I would like it to be a interactive conversation.

A5. That really depends on what it is. If I know what I am doing I like it. If I haven't got a clue I hate it. I am always open to input from others. I earn respect and don't demand it.

Your welcome.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
First... I TOTALLY agree about the justification thing!! I used to do that a lot, when I was a kid, but it annoyed my INTP dad to such an extent that I don't anymore.

I'd feel great! I love thank-you letters, regardless of who sends them.

Feeling: Shock, warm fuzzies.
Reaction: "Wow, thank you!" appearing surprised, though not as surprised as how I actually feel. And then probably following up with something self-deprecating.

I'd be totally fine with it.

Saying something back would probably be good, or at least acknowledging that they heard you.

If I want to be in charge, then that's great, and absolutely what I'd like. Otherwise, it might be weird.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't WANT to make those connections - erm, I mean, I do, but without the bad stuff, you know? Like, I chat with them, and they connect with me, and I do a little bit as well, but I'm hesitant to take that step into the next friendship level. My hypothesis is that it means opening up, and opening up means a vulnerable spot opening up in your emotional armor that someone might stab into. What do you think?

I've got the same problem!
I can make a lot of aquaintances, but I'm very bad at making real friends. Toughest hurdle: I have to remember all those uninteresting details personal, meaningful things like their name, their face, how many children they have, what they do as work etc etc.
My husband told me about a similar problem too. People tend to see him as reliable and no-nonsense and he wants to hold up that image. Only when he's truly at ease, he's happy he doesn't have to be "perfect".

Maybe it's a general thing... with different difficulties along the path from aquaintance to friend.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I discovered an excellent socionics ESTJ description. The best I think I've ever read. It doesn't make you look like the bad guys at all. :)

LSE - WSWiki

Ontop

could someone tell me if this girl's an ESTJ? this girl that I know, she's not very emotionally in tune or can express herself properly, well at least not emotionally. She also doesn't know how to respond to someone usually if theyre upset, not unless theyre a close friend. She'd occasionally bottle herself up emotionally if she's stressed, and if she's pushed in any way, she'd explode. She's not very social but she'd get recharged whenever she'd go out for hours. I asked her if she preferred compassion and harmony over rationality and logic, her answer was, she valued both. But she seems to mix the idea of being compassionate and at the same time, being rational and logical. She's also aggressive in general.

She always thinks she's right, and when people's opinions are different from her, she tries to convince them to change.

She's a "matter of fact" kind of person. She likes to go with the facts anytime over anything. She's very practical.

Is she an ESTJ?

she bugs me at times though when I ask her for an emotional advice, all she'd say is,

"stop being so sensitive. You'll get through this, this happens to everyone."

She's also very bossy.

She thinks i'm being sensitive all the time. I'm an INFP btw.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Hello ESTJ friends! There is a thread on Sensate leadership over in the NF section. If any of you are willing and inclined, I would dearly like to hear your input. It is about what would make you most receptive to an idea pitched by an NF. Your responses would be most valued!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
could someone tell me if this girl's an ESTJ? this girl that I know, she's not very emotionally in tune or can express herself properly, well at least not emotionally. She also doesn't know how to respond to someone usually if theyre upset, not unless theyre a close friend. She'd occasionally bottle herself up emotionally if she's stressed, and if she's pushed in any way, she'd explode. She's not very social but she'd get recharged whenever she'd go out for hours. I asked her if she preferred compassion and harmony over rationality and logic, her answer was, she valued both. But she seems to mix the idea of being compassionate and at the same time, being rational and logical. She's also aggressive in general.

She always thinks she's right, and when people's opinions are different from her, she tries to convince them to change.

She's a "matter of fact" kind of person. She likes to go with the facts anytime over anything. She's very practical.

Is she an ESTJ?

she bugs me at times though when I ask her for an emotional advice, all she'd say is,

"stop being so sensitive. You'll get through this, this happens to everyone."

She's also very bossy.

She thinks i'm being sensitive all the time. I'm an INFP btw.
I dunno if she's an ESTJ. She's ExTx, without a doubt, but besides that... she could be an ENTx, still, possibly (some of that sounded ENTJ). But yeah, I'd say I'm 75% sure she's ESTJ.

Do you have any other helpful details? e.g. is she an inside-the-box thinker? Does she tend to take things literally?

Thoughts, anybody?