User Tag List

First 154204244252253254255256 Last

Results 2,531 to 2,540 of 2590

Thread: Ask an ESTJ!

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    What would be your reaction when someone describes you as cute ?
    Ask them who put them up to it.
    Likes Lloyd, chubber liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yay! S types are really underrepresented on here!

My type is considered quite dreamy...would you ever call yourself a dreamy person or are you always practical and realistic? (as the ESTJs are known for)

Also why is it that few S types or just ESTJs visit mbti forums like this?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so

How close am I to completing my transformation into an ESTJ?
    Likes Yamato Nadeshiko liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by RosieJones View Post
    Also why is it that few S types or just ESTJs visit mbti forums like this?
    Most threads on sites like this are abstract and not terribly relevant to what actually matters: reality. It doesn't pay my bills to be here, it doesn't do my dishes, landscape, clean, study, run errands, spend time with my cats or any other task that needs to be done to be here. There is so much to be accomplished, and when that's dealt with, I have shows I want to watch and people to spend time with. This is usually the last place I am at when I am available. I have social and intellectual circles elsewhere IRL, and I have many hobbies.

Most posts do not cite sources (and the ones that do usually don't cite reputable ones), but I do have access to academic articles and a university, which makes most threads here by comparison not a worthwhile avenue to pursue when I want to learn in depth about a topic. Doubly so when there is a possibility that trolls and assholes can comment here, but not in an article or any course I am enrolled in. Yesterday I spoke to a philosophy lecturer, and we had a conversation that would, honestly, never occur here because it involved an expert and because all participants in the conversation knew each other and the topic well. Quality like that simply cannot be experienced online, except in extremely restricted and special environments.

Mostly, I am doer. I like activities and I like the physical. It was sunny today and I spent so much time outside, and later I will look at the stars and then pump some iron and swim. It's hard to sit at computer when there is so much out there in the world that can be experienced and so much to be done.
    Likes Fate liked this post

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Can ESTJs meditate? Is that even possible for them to sit down and do nothing, especially not think for a 20-30 minute stretch? I recently have tried to show both my daughters (one is an ESTJ age 15), how to meditate and the ESTJ just can't shut down for that amount of time, it's like she is in pain simply trying. My initial approach was to explain the benefits including relaxation to which she responded with, why would i want to NOT be doing something when there is so much to be done? I need any tips, tricks, approaches you ESTJs can recommend please. Perhaps I'm pushing something that simply isn't a good fit and I need to back off. Thanks!
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    Can ESTJs meditate? Is that even possible for them to sit down and do nothing, especially not think for a 20-30 minute stretch? I recently have tried to show both my daughters (one is an ESTJ age 15), how to meditate and the ESTJ just can't shut down for that amount of time, it's like she is in pain simply trying. My initial approach was to explain the benefits including relaxation to which she responded with, why would i want to NOT be doing something when there is so much to be done? I need any tips, tricks, approaches you ESTJs can recommend please. Perhaps I'm pushing something that simply isn't a good fit and I need to back off. Thanks!
    I meditate every day, at least twice a day. Mostly I stick to Zen techniques.

I recommend the basics as outlined here. Thich Nhat Hanh is another author who has awesome meditations and explanations a sensor may like. But there is not much that can be done when a 15-year-old ESTJ has decided what she does and does not want to do. It's her loss, and perhaps she will learn with time over several burnouts that quiet and meditation have a place in her schedule.

Focus, clarity, emotional wellness, compassion, resilience. A person may need to be humbled to want to seek these. I think she will come around eventually. Remind her to breathe when she is stressed, and she is already mostly there.
    Likes SpankyMcFly, EJCC liked this post

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
    I meditate every day, at least twice a day. Mostly I stick to Zen techniques.

I recommend the basics as outlined here. Thich Nhat Hanh is another author who has awesome meditations and explanations a sensor may like. But there is not much that can be done when a 15-year-old ESTJ has decided what she does and does not want to do. It's her loss, and perhaps she will learn with time over several burnouts that quiet and meditation have a place in her schedule.

Focus, clarity, emotional wellness, compassion, resilience. A person may need to be humbled to want to seek these. I think she will come around eventually. Remind her to breathe when she is stressed, and she is already mostly there.
    Right, she can be quite set in her judgements. Her age is likely the major factor blocking her from seeing the utility of 'time off'. I'll show her that link you provided which is excellent btw, thanks! I am going to stop pressuring her to try meditation though and simply 'show' her the tangible results she could be reaping when I meditate with her younger ISFP sister. She's made her decision
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
    Most threads on sites like this are abstract and not terribly relevant to what actually matters: reality. It doesn't pay my bills to be here, it doesn't do my dishes, landscape, clean, study, run errands, spend time with my cats or any other task that needs to be done to be here. There is so much to be accomplished, and when that's dealt with, I have shows I want to watch and people to spend time with. This is usually the last place I am at when I am available. I have social and intellectual circles elsewhere IRL, and I have many hobbies.

Most posts do not cite sources (and the ones that do usually don't cite reputable ones), but I do have access to academic articles and a university, which makes most threads here by comparison not a worthwhile avenue to pursue when I want to learn in depth about a topic. Doubly so when there is a possibility that trolls and assholes can comment here, but not in an article or any course I am enrolled in. Yesterday I spoke to a philosophy lecturer, and we had a conversation that would, honestly, never occur here because it involved an expert and because all participants in the conversation knew each other and the topic well. Quality like that simply cannot be experienced online, except in extremely restricted and special environments.

Mostly, I am doer. I like activities and I like the physical. It was sunny today and I spent so much time outside, and later I will look at the stars and then pump some iron and swim. It's hard to sit at computer when there is so much out there in the world that can be experienced and so much to be done.
    That was really interesting, thank you! You hit the nail on the head there with the fact that S types like to be doing things rather than theorising about them. I understand from your point of view that you feel these sites don't help you with real life but i think they do in a way (at least for me). They help me understand the people around me and now, with so much research on MBTI I can get along with loads of different types of people which I couldn't before because I can type them and then understand our differences and focus on what we have in common. This could also be useful in a work format when say you need to be able to work with many different types of Coworkers. For example I might type someone, after observing them for a while, as ISFJ...as I am an INFP to get along with them I would focus on what we have in common (the I and the F) and the cognitive functions we share (Si and and Ne). When I'm with my ISFJ friend I now talk about past experiences much more as I know this will trigger both our Si functions and we get along better!

I think it also comes down to the fact that S types and N types are searching for different things and want different things out of life. As an INFP, understanding and truth about life is key for me: I crave to understand the people and world around me. When I feel I understand everything I feel more in control and less confused. Our types are the complete opposite so you probably don't value those things as much or you don't need them to feel happy and focused. I guess that's also why Ns like to theorise about things - we find it interesting and helps quench our need for understanding.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Could I also ask what it is that interests you about this website if you typically don't think it helps you in real life in any way?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by RosieJones View Post
    Could I also ask what it is that interests you about this website if you typically don't think it helps you in real life in any way?
    I browse from time to time to look at the typology threads. I also think it's important to answer in this thread because many people have so many misunderstandings about sensors and about ESTJs. I'm usually not on for very long though. I've studied typology for a long time but the value in this site for me is to ask questions and to double check every now and then.
    Likes EJCC liked this post