User Tag List

First 110160200208209210211212220260 Last

Results 2,091 to 2,100 of 2615

Thread: Ask an ESTJ!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

@Fuzzy Conduit @prplchknz you two are motivating me to start watching Orange is the New Black. Watched the pilot and it made me really uncomfortable -- but I guess it gets better?

Never watched Voyager, since the only compliment I ever heard anyone give it was that Janeway was an awesome role model. My Star Trek viewing has probably been 95% TNG, 1% TOS, 1% Enterprise, and 3% DS9.

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    I think I would agree with a lot of this. My process is probably a bit different though. I do a lot of mental prioritizing, probably very Si/Ti. The first thing I do when I get to work is evaluate the situation and prioritize tasks based on how long they've taken in the past as well as their importance to things running smoothly.
    I'm actually horrible at this-- I've never been good at estimating the amount of time that things will take, except in the vaguest terms. The longer the task will take, the worse I am at that estimation. I wonder if it is Si/Ti.

Then I assign duties based on the individual strengths of my staff. I try to be as fair as possible, dividing the less desirable jobs evenly and rotating people mid-shift.

I really try to base my management style on my experiences with past managers. I remember vividly things that I hated, and things that I really liked. Humility and fairness are big ones (Fe). I hated having undesirable tasks passed off to me because I was an inferior, so I make sure I still do things like dishes and taking out the trash. I also put a lot of emphasis on teaching and try to answer questions, even stupid ones, as thoroughly and gently as possible. Ultimately I would rather be bothered with simple questions than have my staff do their job's incorrectly.
    Oh yes. 90% of the managerial things I care a lot about are things that, when absent, have my life difficult as a subordinate.

Also YES to the bolded. I am exactly the same, for exactly the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    Do you get up in the morning feeling happy?

Noticed this is ESTJs.
    What an interesting question. Had never thought about it until now.

Discounting feeling resigned and irritated that I couldn't sleep for just a few more minutes -- which is, and always has been, my standard morning mood -- I think my default has always been neutral/determined. Even when I was a kid.
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    @Fuzzy Conduit @prplchknz you two are motivating me to start watching Orange is the New Black. Watched the pilot and it made me really uncomfortable -- but I guess it gets better?

Never watched Voyager, since the only compliment I ever heard anyone give it was that Janeway was an awesome role model. My Star Trek viewing has probably been 95% TNG, 1% TOS, 1% Voyager, and 3% DS9.

What an interesting question. Had never thought about it until now.

Discounting feeling resigned and irritated that I couldn't sleep for just a few more minutes -- which is, and always has been, my standard morning mood -- I think my default has always been neutral/determined. Even when I was a kid.
    yeah stick it out for orange is the new black for at least 5 episodes. if you still hate it after that you are allowed to stop.

i'm rewatching tng now and there's so many paralells between that show and my philospophical and humanitaran beliefs.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

I'm actually horrible at this-- I've never been good at estimating the amount of time that things will take, except in the vaguest terms. The longer the task will take, the worse I am at that estimation. I wonder if it is Si/Ti.
    Interesting. My ESTJ 1w2 father is also terrible at this. Everything ALWAYS takes at least 15 minutes longer than he thinks it will. I always attributed it to his ADHD, but perhaps there is another reason for it. Perhaps that he always assumes things will go precisely according to plan, and they generally don't. I usually give myself a cushion for error. It has always been one of my strengths. I generally complete tasks and arrive places within minutes of my estimations.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Interesting. My ESTJ 1w2 father is also terrible at this. Everything ALWAYS takes at least 15 minutes longer than he thinks it will. I always attributed it to his ADHD, but perhaps there is another reason for it. Perhaps that he always assumes things will go precisely according to plan, and they generally don't. I usually give myself a cushion for error. It has always been one of my strengths. I generally complete tasks and arrive places within minutes of my estimations.
    That's exactly my problem. No matter how often I tell myself that I need to give myself extra time for error, I either don't do it, or give myself too little. I rationalize it through my hatred of wasted time: "If I give myself this extra time, then get the task done in the amount of time that I should, then I'll have to sit around -- screw that, thanks but no thanks".
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

That's exactly my problem. No matter how often I tell myself that I need to give myself extra time for error, I either don't do it, or give myself too little. I rationalize it through my hatred of wasted time: "If I give myself this extra time, then get the task done in the amount of time that I should, then I'll have to sit around -- screw that, thanks but no thanks".
    That's too funny. Because if he does finish something early or on time he tries to start something else to avoid being idle. And then the new task inevitably ends up making us late. Either that or he triple checks that the first task was actually done properly. Making us late.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

That's too funny. Because if he does finish something early or on time he tries to start something else to avoid being idle. And then the new task inevitably ends up making us late. Either that or he triple checks that the first task was actually done properly. Making us late.
    This sounds familiar.

I've never been sure why I hate idleness so much. Wondering if it's more related to enneatype or MBTI. Probably MBTI.

MBTI
    yupp

This sounds familiar.

I've never been sure why I hate idleness so much. Wondering if it's more related to enneatype or MBTI. Probably MBTI.
    yeah I won't start something until I have clear idea of the end product and at least a half hour of buffer time.because i'm not gonna waste energy or stress myself out over something i'm not 100% sure on. And I drive a lot of people insane, because i don't spring into action i can appear to be doing nothing but i'm planning an attack or setting up a strategy for something and weighing all options and potential outcomes in my head. and until i find a tolerable one I won't waste energy. and watching people running around doing things just to do things drive me insane. I'm like sit! have a cup of tea turn on a movie. just enjoy the ambience
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

This sounds familiar.

Potentially enneatype also. I'm pretty sure my dad is a 163. I think 1s use their competency to make themselves valuable/needed. I also think EXXJs just tend to be kind of twitchy and stimulation seeking... I hate idleness as well.
    Friends, waffles, work

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I find this kinda fascinating. I have always assumed that ESTJ's would be excellent at time management and time estimation. Partly because my dad (ESTJ 1w2) is very good at it. I'm also very good at estimating how long something will take, and I'm subsequently on time for everything pretty much right on the dot.

This sounds familiar.

One thing I'll never understand about ESTJ's is the inability to idle (my dad is very much like that). I don't like to idle either, but I don't need to be doing something productive to feel satiated in that way. I can just shoot the breeze, read something, listen to music, etc. and I'll be fine. ESTJ's see, to always identify that as idling. I define it as not making progress forward towards long-term goals.

Potentially enneatype also. I'm pretty sure my dad is a 163. I think 1s use their competency to make themselves valuable/needed. I also think EXXJs just tend to be kind of twitchy and stimulation seeking... I hate idleness as well.
    Yeah I agree that it's an ExxJ thing, and being a 1 (and I'd imagine a 3 or 7 as well), would make it stronger. I just need to be stimulated. If I am not in some manner I get irritable quickly.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp