User Tag List

First 12341252102 Last

Thread: Ask an ESTJ!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Thanks so much for your speedy reply. I nearly burst out laughing when I read what you wrote about working on projects together. I kind of thought that would be the answer. In my case I run a music program, and he is an English teacher who started fiddling because of me. He offered to help chaperone on the trips and also to run a yearly event with about 600 people staying at our school and having a music workshop. He not only would be doling out detailed advice about fiddling to kids that I teach with a whole two months' personal experience on the fiddle (me, 20 years!), but also started delegating jobs to me for the workshop even though I had been to one before and he had not. I think it just goes with the territory. He felt I wasn't as concerned with organization, but what he didn't realize is that I was very concerned with it. It was just that my list of what should take priority first was different. He was more concerned with the smaller details, while I wanted to look after the big picture first and then zero in on the little things. On the other hand, he was the most likely to think of things like getting keys from the right people or figuring out how many extension cords would be needed etc. He also drove the people in adult fiddling class nuts by offering advice to those who had been fiddling the same amount of time as him and by cutting me off while I was teaching with his observations and tips etc. I don't know if that is typical or not, but I suspect it is just really difficult not to lead.

Some more questions:

What's the best way to make an ESTJ feel appreciated and valued?

Do ESTJs prefer to learn independently or will they take help if they feel the offerer is competent enough?

Would you say that generally ESTJs prefer practical presents?

If an ESTJ's employee disagrees with him/her, what is the best way (obviously privately) to offer another perspective without making them feel that a subordinate is trying to usurp authority or is a troublemaker?

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I've read some stuff that says ESTJ is my ideal mate. But my impression of the ESTJ women that I have known is, they have their lives so in control, and are talented in so many areas, what do they need me for?
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Do you think ESTJs are especially spatially aware? I have noticed that many ESTJs become phyed teachers or coaches and the ESTJs I know seem to also be very tuned into their surroundings. The ones I know see details that I would never notice unless they were pointed out to me and they also seem to be very good drivers. I was wondering if it is the leadership aspect or the awareness of space around them that might push them towards sports.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    What's the best way to make an ESTJ feel appreciated and valued?
    All you really have to do is recognize how hard we work. We really do care, and often we work really hard for the greater good and for the ones we love, but it can feel like no one understands how much we care, or how hard we work. Simply stating that you notice, and that you care, is good. Some ideas for supplements to that: a night out to relax, a small gift, and/or perhaps a hug

Do ESTJs prefer to learn independently or will they take help if they feel the offerer is competent enough?
    They will ABSOLUTELY take help if they see the offerer as better than them. That's why they're always classified as "middle managers" - they can switch between boss-er and boss-ee with absolutely no problem. (In a sense, there's always a hierarchy with them.) They're pretty versatile that way.

Would you say that generally ESTJs prefer practical presents?
    Heck yes. The best gift for an ESTJ is something that they can USE. (My favorite graduation gift was... a hot pot. lol!)

If an ESTJ's employee disagrees with him/her, what is the best way (obviously privately) to offer another perspective without making them feel that a subordinate is trying to usurp authority or is a troublemaker?
    Use logic. Be respectful. If your language is deemed appropriate, and if you don't seem like you're bossing the ESTJ around, the ESTJ should be completely fine with it. Unless they have some sort of emotional connection to their belief, it won't matter to them whose idea is put into effect, as long as it ends up working.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I've read some stuff that says ESTJ is my ideal mate. But my impression of the ESTJ women that I have known is, they have their lives so in control, and are talented in so many areas, what do they need me for?
    Aw. Gawrsh.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Do you think ESTJs are especially spatially aware? I have noticed that many ESTJs become phyed teachers or coaches and the ESTJs I know seem to also be very tuned into their surroundings. The ones I know see details that I would never notice unless they were pointed out to me and they also seem to be very good drivers. I was wondering if it is the leadership aspect or the awareness of space around them that might push them towards sports.
    ESTJs are very aware of their surroundings. They don't live inside of their own heads (like many INxx people I know) as much as they live in the outside world. It's very relaxing, for us, to do things like exercising, or working outside, or repairing things, or doing other sensory things, because it's like meditation - we immerse ourselves in the project, and our minds don't wander, so we don't worry about things. Ah... Just thinking about it makes me feel good. Makes me want to get outside!
    I personally never enjoyed sports - I don't know why. But I like to exercise. Most ESTJs probably do, for the reasons I mentioned.
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Whats the main thermodynamical difference between a diezel engine and a gasoline engine ? (hint: what keeps the combustion going)

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Whats the main thermodynamical difference between a diezel engine and a gasoline engine ? (hint: what keeps the combustion going)
    What if you only drive carnot engines with adiabatic walls?
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

^
    Brain... hurts... *head explodes*
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    What if you only drive carnot engines with adiabatic walls?
    I dont know what adiabatic wall means, but Carnot engines dont produce enough power to move shit .

The answer is: a diesel engine has no spark plug, cause the gasoline heats itself enough to spark by the pressure of the combustion

P.S.: I just figured you meant adiabatic limit, didnt you ? Man your english is even worser than mine

What is your mind set like in work/business situations? Goals for yourself within that organization, the role that organization plays in your life etc... Do you immediately adopt the culture because it is there? Basically whatever random shit you can think of along those lines. It would be interesting to see what our differences are and test the theory a little.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

What our differences are? Hm... Generally, I'm very focused in a work environment. I ask a lot of questions, to ensure that I get the job done correctly. My goal is always to complete my tasks, and to make sure they're done RIGHT. And what do you mean by "culture", exactly?

Besides that, I don't know how much I can talk about right now. 3 reasons why:
    1. I'm a student, and beyond that, I don't really want to give anything away about my work,
    2. I might need a bit more direction to answer (e.g. What category of differences are you thinking of, and what theory? Is it that people are always comparing ESTJs to ENTJs? 'Cause I can tell you right now one difference: ESTJs are way more into hierarchy than you guys are), and
    3. I'm frickin' tired, and need to go to bed. This is what happens when you have days off... grr! Goodstain was right when he voted me "most likely to stay up late on weekends"!