User Tag List

Page 194 of 259 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204244 ... LastLast
Results 1,931 to 1,940 of 2590

Thread: Ask an ESTJ!

Senior Member Array

Do you guys consider whilst decision making or stop to consider later on whether your actions in the immediate situation are undermining the bigger picture and/or any long term gains that may be achieved? I suspect my question is ultimately a permutation of Aleda's question about how you guys use Ne.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    How does Ne work for you?
    I actually answered that exact question just before you posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    Do you guys consider whilst decision making or stop to consider later on whether your actions in the immediate situation are undermining the bigger picture and/or any long term gains that may be achieved? I suspect my question is ultimately a permutation of Aleda's question about how you guys use Ne.
    I don't know about other ESTJs, but I personally am not a very good strategist. I always have the outcome in mind, when I make a decision, but I rarely think more than a few steps ahead, with a "grand plan". I see that as more Ni, and one of the advantages that an ENTJ would have over me. It's why I could never be a hardcore chess player, or Risk player.

However, regarding the bolded... that's something we definitely do. I'm not sure how I would take this apart, function-wise, but ESTJs do have a broad conception of how things currently work, and of how they should work. Backing those conceptions are broad ideals like "fairness", "efficiency", etc -- essentially our moral code and our modus operandi -- and we try, to the greatest extent that we can, to act for the good of those ideals.

For example: efficiency, in the case of a more thorough ESTJ. Let's say you give them a decision, that seems on the surface to be option A (more efficient) vs. option B (less efficient). Since the ESTJ is thorough, they will want as much info as they can get about options A and B, to see if that initial judgement is correct. As they do research, they find out that even though option A is more efficient on its own, it will hinder the rest of the process and make the whole thing less efficient, even if it, in itself, is more efficient. Then they'll choose option B.

Of course, many ESTJs are not that thorough, and sometimes they hate having to be that thorough because it means not making a quick decision. Which is why they're better deciders, than strategists, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nørrsken impersonating EJCC
    It's strange. I keep banning morons, but they keep signing up? What is this?
    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

That's definitely interesting. What causes you guys to use Ne?

WALMART

What are some advantages over your inuiting cousins? Some weaknesses?

Row row row your boat Array SD45T-2's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    What are some advantages over your inuiting cousins?
    Logistics.

Some weaknesses?
    Strategy.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    Logistics.

Strategy.
    Yes! Exactly.

ENTJs create general frameworks/visions for the long term. ESTJs take those frameworks and make them practicable. Neither is as good at the opposite role.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    That's definitely interesting. What causes you guys to use Ne?
    I don't know if anything causes it, in particular. I mean, I think we use it all the time, without realizing it, regardless of situation. (Si may be what stores our data, but Ne is what connects all the data together, after it's collected, so it's just as important.) But the two most obvious (and common) instances when ESTJs use a lot of Ne, are

1. when we're in a relaxed social environment and suddenly turn our silly switch on; and
    2. when we get a blast of creativity.

#2 usually comes from finding a connection between things that may have seemed to be unrelated. For example, if you give an ESTJ a task, and completely the wrong supplies to do it -- and there's no way for them to get different supplies -- then after the initial reaction of "This is so stupid, why are they making me use this shit", their Ne will come out to play and suddenly they'll become impressively resourceful, using those random tools to accomplish their task, or coming up with a totally different method. Like I said about ESTJ strengths over ENTJs: that's being given a broad goal, and then making sure that it can be, and is, reached. Ne is crucial for that.

WALMART

Lightning is the hawtest FF girl to date. Her type?

What types do you find easiest to get along with?

Star Wars or Star Trek?

Redundancy: annoying, assuring, or something else entirely?

my floof is luxury Array Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Yes! Exactly.

ENTJs create general frameworks/visions for the long term. ESTJs take those frameworks and make them practicable. Neither is as good at the opposite role.

I actually came in here to disagree with this, but the more I thought about it the more sense it made.

Go team!

I am curious now, though, about certain fine distinctions between the two types. Specifically, how do ESTJs model ideas? I'm curious about this because I frequently feel a sorta Te-dom hivemind that permits similar conclusions despite very different processes. It'd be interesting to hear ya'll's take on where exactly the two types part ways in that respect.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

#phreephobik

Lay the coin on my tongue Array SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I like ESTJ guys, in general, but I get the impression that they find me entertaining and "cool" but not to be taken seriously - at least not in relationship terms. (Or maybe that's just the British ESTJs. )

Jokingly serious question: if they don't take me seriously, WHY? And what could I do to change this?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Lightning is the hawtest FF girl to date. Her type?
    ISTx (or INTJ) 8w9 (or 1w9) sp/sx?

Alternate type: BAMF.
    What types do you find easiest to get along with?
    That one depends on the ESTJ -- and I'm curious about how @SD45T-2 would answer! -- but in my case, through experience, I've gotten pretty good at getting along with NFJs. I have trouble reading INTJs, and I don't think I know very many SPs. With SJs, it depends. And when I meet ExTJs, I feel like I have this incredible mind-meld with them from the get-go -- especially ENTJs.
    Star Wars or Star Trek?
    STAR TREK. TNG FTW.
    Redundancy: annoying, assuring, or something else entirely?
    Annoying, pointless, and generally a waste. For example, my university is just FULL of NJs, and they cater to NJs by trying to get everyone to form a group or start a project or initiate some other thing on campus, at some point during their college career -- which is all well and good, but now there are like three charitable groups per cause, and wouldn't it be more effective to just have one, and if you don't like how it's run, to change the system?

(This is my issue with the nonprofit sector in general, but I digress.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    I actually came in here to disagree with this, but the more I thought about it the more sense it made.

Go team!

I am curious now, though, about certain fine distinctions between the two types. Specifically, how do ESTJs model ideas? I'm curious about this because I frequently feel a sorta Te-dom hivemind that permits similar conclusions despite very different processes. It'd be interesting to hear ya'll's take on where exactly the two types part ways in that respect.
    This may be a stupid question, but what do you mean by "how do (we) model ideas"?
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I like ESTJ guys, in general, but I get the impression that they find me entertaining and "cool" but not to be taken seriously - at least not in relationship terms. (Or maybe that's just the British ESTJs. )

Jokingly serious question: if they don't take me seriously, WHY? And what could I do to change this?
    What is it that they do, that indicates that they don't take you seriously? Is it something that happens after you start dating? Or is it friend-zoning?