First 87137177185186187188189197237 Last

Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 2615

Thread: Ask an ESTJ!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Oh, there are hundreds of those (do you know the one where they lock an engineer,a physicist and a mathematician (a topologist) into a room with a can of food and no can opener?)
    Nope.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    Nope.
    They lock a physicist, an engineer and a topologist into a cells with nothing to eat but a can of spaghettis and no can opener. After a few das they unlock the cells and find:
    - the engineer in a cell that has spaghetti sauce all over the walls, the can is covered with dents but open and he obviously enjoyed his food.
    - the physicist sittin next to a neat, clean empty can, smiling
    - when they come to the topologist's cell, they find it empty, a lot of calculations written on the wall and the intact can on the floor...until they hear his voice from inside the can: "damn sign error!!!"

EDIT: There's also this alternative I just found on this site:

There was a mad scientist (a mad SOCIAL scientist) who kidnapped three colleagues, an engineer, a physicist, and a mathematician, and locked each of them in separate cells with plenty of canned food and water but no can opener.
    A month later, returning, the mad scientist went to the engineer's cell and found it long empty. The engineer had constructed a can opener from pocket trash, used aluminum shavings and dried sugar to make an explosive,and escaped.
    The physicist had worked out the angle necessary to knock the lids off the tin cans by throwing them against the wall. She was developing a good pitching arm and a new quantum theory.
    The mathematician had stacked the unopened cans into a surprising solution to the kissing problem; his desicated corpse was propped calmly against a wall, and this was inscribed on the floor in blood:
    THEOREM: If I can't open these cans, I'll die.
    PROOF: Assume the opposite ...
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

There is a surprising amount of truth to these. The first time my SO (an engineer) and I (a physicist) cooked together, it went a bit like that.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Nope, totally makes sense. Same exact thing with Fi. It's understanding and the ideal that's most important, because proper implementation can't take place until those things are fully achieved.
    Well, I'm glad you understand at least.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Completely agree. The real world is overrated

Do you know the one about the mathematician who wakes up at night and sees his bedroom is on fire, looks around, sees there is a fire extinguisher in the corner and turns around to sleep some more because the problem has an unambiguous solution?
    I'm glad you agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Re: Ti vs Te...
    A while ago, my husband and I watched this Ted talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/dan..._we_happy.html We also have an ongoing discussion about that. He's convinced I'm making myself miserable by not being contented with what I have. In the words of the talk, I'm not using that artificial happiness thingy (enough). According to him, I'm forgetting to enjoy myself while telling myself "If only I had this, if only I could do that"

But I'm terribly afraid I would miss a chance if I got too used to my situation. I'm afraid that, by being contented, I would not work as hard to make things better.
    I'm happy if I can improve the world, even by a little bit. So I'm constantly, like The Great One describes, evaluating all things and see if I can improve anything - be it the next meal, be it my working routine, be it my teaching. I'm constantly finding things to improve. And that doesn't make me unhappy. What makes me unhappy is the fact that I have to spend nearly all my time and energy maintaining the status quo. So I'm struggling the whole day to get the house, the yard, the school work ready... and then I'm exhausted and I didn't even make some pancakes to improve the day. I'm not happy with any status quo - even if the status quo would have me as a novel writer as famous and rich as J.K. Rowling. Then my next book will need to be better yet.

Husband - and I guess more Te/Si users - are happy if they did well, are happy to spend the evening relaxing, they make their decisions and don't look back, confident that they have made the best one, or at least, that trying to change it now will be more trouble than it is worth. So it's useless to look back. I do that all the time, telling myself to do better next time.
    I know what you mean. Whenever I see something and it looks half baked, I just sit there and ponder, "How can I make this better". Also, one thing that really hurts me is when I have a big problem that I can't seem to possibly fix no matter what I do. Then, it seems like I will get nothing done the rest of the day, because I will have a tsunami of endlessness thoughts on how I could make this problem better. I can't eat, I can't sleep, I feel like I'm trapped. I hate when this happens. Luckily I think I have learned to compartmentalize problems in order to get on with my day. It's almost like playing a video game and pressing the "save button" and coming back to the game later. However, I always have to finish the game.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Have you ever lived with any ENTP(s)? I have read that ESTJs and ENTPs living under the same roof is like ideal roomates.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar7 View Post
    Have you ever lived with any ENTP(s)? I have read that ESTJs and ENTPs living under the same roof is like ideal roomates.
    No, I've never lived with an ENTP. I don't think EJCC has either.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    No, I've never lived with an ENTP. I don't think EJCC has either.
    Thanks and the reason for the question is because I have lived with one, but they are part of my direct family. So the question still intrigues me. (It's hard to know because family would be another kind of dynamic added, I expect).
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar7 View Post
    I've lived with an ESTJ. It wasn't that bad.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    I've lived with an ESTJ. It wasn't that bad.
    Fair enough. BTW you been to 5-points in Jax?