First 75125165173174175176177185225 Last

Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 2590

Thread: Ask an ESTJ!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by lauranna View Post
    haha. What is it about ISTPs that attracts you? Because you seem to have collected a few of them.
    Common interests, I suppose. I'm into cars, trains, guns, planes, and stuff like that. I've always been interested in mechanical stuff. I was home schooled, and when I was fairly young my mom read me The Way Things Work by David Macaulay. I understood most of it right away and ended up having to explain it to her a lot of the time.

I certainly don't get along with all ISTPs, but I don't get along with every single person of any other type either.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    On that note, are there any good ways to tell when a Te-dom/ESTJ is just looking confident...but not actually feeling confident?
    There are times when I tell people that I'm worried about stuff. Sometimes that just makes things worse.

For some reason people tend to think that I'm smarter and more capable than I actually am. So when I voice my worries about something like a college course people tend to not take me very seriously and expect me to do well anyway. Then I'm not only worried about my ability to do the course, I'm also stressed out by their unrealistic expectations. Then people are surprised and disappointed with me when I crash and burn immediately and have to drop out.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

^ Well, I am definitely not an ESTJ but I actually relate to some of what you wrote above. I tend to look calm and cool, mostly (even if I'm a nervous wreck inside, which happens a bit too often). So people often assume that I'm totally fine with everything, I have everything under control, I don't get upset about anything, and sometimes (basically) that I have no feelings. And apparently I can even say to people "I'm very sensitive and can get my feelings badly hurt, and I get stressed a lot" etc etc and they still don't get it.

(self-pitying rant over) What I mean is... that's kind of an unexpected curse of looking like you're in control!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

What I mean is... that's kind of an unexpected curse of looking like you're in control!
    Yep.

Hmm...you're in the U.K. Surely you of all people are familiar with marmalade. What do you think?
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    Yep.

Hmm...you're in the U.K. Surely you of all people are familiar with marmalade. What do you think?
    You're obsessed with marmalade! I'm afraid I'm not a big fan. Sorry. In my family, I think my (Canadian of English/Irish descent) father is the only real marmalade fan.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

(self-pitying rant over) What I mean is... that's kind of an unexpected curse of looking like you're in control!
    Very true! I relate to both you and SD45T-2 in that regard -- you especially, because the "control" that people assume I always have, is control over my feelings. So when I finally can't hold onto my emotions anymore, the response from my friends is less supportive and more "Holy Shit!" Which is frustrating, and in my opinion it's what separates my true friends from my friendly acquaintances. (This could be why I have so many INFJ friends! You guys understand, because you are the same way!)

(Another note: I've had better luck than SD45T-2, in that, for the most part, people believe me when I tell them that I'm bad at something. I'm very thankful for that! Saves me a lot of embarrassment.)
    You know... your love of marmalade made me assume that you were from the UK, but you live in Northern California? So when/where did you get a hold of marmalade for the first time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nørrsken impersonating EJCC
    It's strange. I keep banning morons, but they keep signing up? What is this?
    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    You know... your love of marmalade made me assume that you were from the UK, but you live in Northern California? So when/where did you get a hold of marmalade for the first time?
    I've lived in California my entire life. My dad's family originated in Oxfordshire, but that was a long time ago.

I first heard about it from Paddington Bear books my mom read to me when I was little: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddington_Bear

I came across it at the Trader Joe's down the street. I don't know if there are any in your area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trader_Joe%27s

From page 172:
    Sorry, I couldn't resist teasing you about it. You typically use it like jam or fruit curd and put it on bread or scones.

Dundee is the way to go, IMHO: http://www.dundeemarmalade.com/dundee.html

The varieties: http://www.dundeemarmalade.com/marmalades.html

I used to be able to get Dundee at Trader Joe's and some supermarkets. Awhile back Trader Joe's replaced it with their own brand of orange marmalade (which tasted flat to me), and now I can't find it at other stores either. Bloody hell!

At least there's still Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ndee+marmalade
    Also:
    Is there any particular reason you're into trains? Does someone in your family work for a railroad? Was there a lot of railroad activity in the area where you grew up? If you ever have any railroad related questions be sure to let me know!

Do you know any other people your age who are into the Marx Brothers? My best friend (ISTJ 5w6 sp/so) is a fan but he's old enough to be my dad, and he was a little surprsied when he found out I was too because he hadn't encountered any people in their teens/twenties who were.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

We need less ESTJs running our education systems and more ISTPs students radically rebelling against the big bosses!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I've lived in California my entire life. My dad's family originated in Oxfordshire, but that was a long time ago.
    That's cool! Do you ever visit there?
    From page 172:
    Whoops! Sorry.

Also:
    Is there any particular reason you're into trains? Does someone in your family work for a railroad? Was there a lot of railroad activity in the area where you grew up? If you ever have any railroad related questions be sure to let me know!
    There was a lot of railroad activity where I grew up; the trains didn't run terribly close to me, but train tracks run through almost my entire town, and sometimes if I was up late enough I could listen to the train whistles as I was going to sleep. I also loved all those movies, when people would hitchhike on trains to get where they needed to go, or escape to a different life. That romanticized image really appealed to me.

I don't know if I have any railroad questions... because I don't necessarily know a lot about them, except that they're awesome as a unit/concept/thing. I guess... why is your favorite train your favorite train?
    Do you know any other people your age who are into the Marx Brothers? My best friend (ISTJ 5w6 sp/so) is a fan but he's old enough to be my dad, and he was a little surprsied when he found out I was too because he hadn't encountered any people in their teens/twenties who were.
    I don't know about being into the Marx Brothers, but I have lots of friends who like them. Generally, I don't have a lot of friends who go out of their way to see old movies in general -- although no one complained when I made all my friends watch "It's A Wonderful Life" during Finals Week last December. I love Frank Capra!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    We need less ESTJs running our education systems and more ISTPs students radically rebelling against the big bosses!
    No... We need more people who LISTEN, running our education systems (and everything else). We need more people who are willing to make progress.

Those people could easily still be ESTJs.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

So, I just re-discovered an essay I wrote when I was 18, to get a $1,000 college scholarship. The prompt was: If you could travel back in time, what would you do, and why? My answer: I would slap Socrates upside the head. My reasons: the most ESTJ things you have ever read in your life.
    Quote Originally Posted by 18-year-old EJCC
    1. He deserved it, for being obnoxious, arrogant and generally infuriating, and for verbally slapping so many people throughout his “career”.

2. He was a hypocrite. He wanted to show the world that no one truly understands anything, and yet, at the same time, he clearly thought that he understood the world better than anyone else. However, if no one understands anything, then everyone’s knowledge is equal; so, what gave Socrates the right to be so egotistical?

3. Although the so-called “Socratic Method” has its redeeming qualities when used in present day, when it is used the way it was intended to be used (i.e. the way that Socrates himself used it), it is simply a cruel and unusual way to tell a person that they are ignorant, by making fun of them, and playing with them the way a cat plays with a mouse before ripping it to shreds. By slapping Socrates upside the head, I would simply be doing what his “victims” (such as Euthyphro) would have done, had they not been overly polite.

4. None of his “dialogues” did any good. The point of a dialogue is to get something done, or prepare for something to get done. However, the purpose of Socrates’ dialogues was to convince people that they knew nothing, which did not help anyone to get anything done! When it succeeded, one would presume that they would be convinced to do what he did, i.e. protest everything that is flawed, but not suggest any alternatives (because apparently Socrates didn’t understand the idea of “the lesser of two evils”). Not only is this counterproductive, but this is a waste of time. Honestly, if Socrates cared so much about helping people, couldn’t he have used his massive brain to go find new and creative ways to feed the poor, instead of unnecessarily crushing people’s egos for a living?

5. It is the fault of Socrates that we, in the twenty-first century, have to deal with pretentious, arrogant intellectuals who perceive themselves to be “gadflies”, when they’re actually burdens on society who do nothing useful for a living!
    My favorite part, is that I ended up getting the scholarship.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

That's awesome. "His dialogues did not help anyone to get anything done" - that's like the most ESTJ analysis ever.

I love it! It's actually really good and well argued (just funny with its ESTJ righteous indignation.) And well done with the scholarship!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING