User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default Would this freak you out?

My daughter is 9 and has a gmail account. I have it set up so that all her mail comes to my inbox too, so I can keep an eye on things (she knows this and it was one of the conditions of her getting her own email account). Apparently, her cousin, a boy who just turned 8, asked her to ghostwrite his novel (LOL). So she is. This is the first chapter.

My Suicide-ish Life

Every day I dream of punching small animals. I`m serious. But that`s not all to my terrible "I wish that I could commit suicide" life. I have tried to kill myself a few times. But just about no one knows that because I was trying (and apparently succeeded) to make it look like I was skydiving. You see, it`s the fact that I want to commit suicide that makes me a "somebody." I just can`t seem to fit in with anybody else any other way. I have no friends, no family. I`m just a lonely, fourteen year old guy - with no girlfriend - who wants to commit suicide. Yup. That`s me.

You see, the other fact about me is that I am clearly invisible and inaudible. Not physically, but a sort of person who doesn't stand out.

My cousin, for example, is a kind of kid who stands out because he is dorky, weird, and under-weight. He stands out, at least.

But I am not like that. I am one of those guys who is basically a snail.
    I don't want to make a big deal out of it since it really seems like they're being creative and making a character, not crying out for help or anything. But part of me just can't shake being freaked out that an 8 and a 9 year old are writing about suicide. Would this freak you out?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

It's kind of scary that 8 and 9 year olds have to think about things like that..
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Nobody we know has committed suicide or anything. Kids just think about everything. And I think sometimes they do stuff like this to tame it, make it not so scary. The skydiving thing makes it sound like they want to make it funny.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't know how I would feel, Ivy.

I think it could be part of growing-up angst and not feeling like one fits in, and your daughter seems very articulate (which usually means she can think more deeply, so chances are more likely she'll veer into "meaning of life" stuff), but more freaky is just that she's writing about her cousin -- i.e., taking his ideas and finishing them for him. So I hope this does not reflect his own feelings about himself in the sense that he'll want to do something harmful to himself.

I guess if my kids wrote stuff like this, I would have "friendly" talks about it simply to gauge what they're actually feeling and why... no panic, but low-key follow-up so that they would feel comfortable enough to talk to me and I could better gauge the danger. I don't want my kids to be scared to have feelings like this, I would want them to know they are just feelings and that they can explore them and try to understand them without thinking they mean they should lead to [negative] action.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Ivy -- sometimes kids just say and do these things and there's no greater meaning. However, I'd feel it VERY necessary to sit down with her and ask her what she thinks these things she's writing really MEAN. Like what is her concept of suicide? What does she really think of people who are lonely or deeply sad? And then I'd show her what it really means to die at your own hand, what it does to the living who remain, what despair is, what isolation truly means. Perhaps she lacks reality about it?
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Would this freak you out?
    Yes.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I`m just a lonely, fourteen year old guy - with no girlfriend - who wants to commit suicide. Yup. That`s me.
    LOL, has she been reading INTPc?

I think there is reason to be a bit concerned, but I'd rather monitor than interfere.

She might just be a writer, and writers have to be free to explore ideas, even the dark ones. But then again, I'm just a permissive INTP.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I can see value in encouraging them to talk about their thought processes in writing this fiction. How did they come up with the character? Where is the story going, etc. What made them think of these things?

Young people do tend to exaggerate in their creative processes. It can be part of a developmental process. Overstatement is somewhat common I think, even through the teen years. The same reason kids/teens dress, write, listen to music, that are all based on extremes has to do with coming to terms with self and communicating emotions.

The key point though is that ideas don't come out of a vacuum. They are synthesized from something, so I would just encourage them to talk about how they are generating the ideas.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ESFJ

Wow .. that would raise a few questions. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions though, not just yet.

So if you was to type your daughter, what would your guess be?
    Does she suffer from low self-esteem?, Is she being bullied? etc etc

If she is an intellectual then ask a few 'thinking' questions followed by the final 'feelings' question. Is this just a story or do you feel like this?
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I would be thrilled to discover a nine year old writing about suicide. It's quite precocious, and it shows that she's in touch with the bleak side of things, which is something I always value in people. While I would certainly want to discuss suicide with her, I would also praise her for turning to that mode of expression and encourage her to continue.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]