First 123 Last

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I wrote all kinds of stuff like that at that age. And also really sexual things complete with diagrams about what I thought stuff looked like. It meant nothing. I was a super curious child who would hear a word and obsess about its meaning for weeks. I would be down at the public library on a daily basis reading things like the anarchist cookbook, or the story of O. And yes, I was 8. I never had any desire to do any of these things, I just wanted to know what they were and I wrote a lot about things like this to let my imagination wander. Now with the internet, kids are so much more sophisticated and can find out so many more things than I could even imagine back then.

I wouldn't be too worried about it and I would just keep a close eye on the both of them for the next few weeks to see any changes in behavior. If all systems are go, no talk should be needed. Unless you are that kind of parent and she is that kind of child. (my mom wasn't and I wasn't...)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

My daughter is probably an ENFP or ENFJ, if I had to guess, and she doesn't seem to have problems with self-esteem or anything of that nature. She has a boy at school that picks on her but she's very open about it and we talk about it a lot (and I've already made sure they won't be together next year). She's really a lark, for the most part, though a deep thinker and feeler. But I don't get the impression this came from any angsty place for her.

I was honestly more worried about my nephew than my daughter when I read this. Just to be clear, he's about as sweet a kid as you'll ever meet and would never harm anyone or anything. He's probably ESFP and a bit of a thrill seeker, hence the skydiving motif. I forwarded the email to my sister in law.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

They say it's too soon to tell T vs F before the age of 12/13 (puberty).

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I don't want to make a big deal out of it since it really seems like they're being creative and making a character, not crying out for help or anything. But part of me just can't shake being freaked out that an 8 and a 9 year old are writing about suicide. Would this freak you out?
    Not in this world. All the suicide shootings and things like that have it in the general culture and even if parents sheild their own children from TV, other children will talk about it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    They say it's too soon to tell T vs F before the age of 12/13 (puberty).
    Yeah, you're probably right, but I'd be super-surprised if either of these kids turn out to be Ts.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I wrote all kinds of stuff like that at that age. And also really sexual things complete with diagrams about what I thought stuff looked like. It meant nothing. I was a super curious child who would hear a word and obsess about its meaning for weeks. I would be down at the public library on a daily basis reading things like the anarchist cookbook, or the story of O. And yes, I was 8. I never had any desire to do any of these things, I just wanted to know what they were and I wrote a lot about things like this to let my imagination wander. Now with the internet, kids are so much more sophisticated and can find out so many more things than I could even imagine back then.

I wouldn't be too worried about it and I would just keep a close eye on the both of them for the next few weeks to see any changes in behavior. If all systems are go, no talk should be needed. Unless you are that kind of parent and she is that kind of child. (my mom wasn't and I wasn't...)
    This is how I lean with my daughter. She's intensely curious and nothing is really off-limits to her, in her mind. A couple of weeks ago she got very interested in learning everything she could about anorexia and bulimia, which she had just found out about in her American Girl "Care and Keeping of Me" book. She asked questions of me and her dad and asked if it was okay if she Googled it. I am pretty sure she is just trying to get her mind around it. I don't think she would be talking to us about it if it were something she was struggling with internally.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I wrote all sorts of crazy shit when I was about ten, so I don't think this is really such a big deal. Kids write about what they see around them, and kids of a certain bend like to write what they see as 'edgy.' Now, if there are a lot of other signs that point to worrisome things, then perhaps it should be of your concern, but some writing like this? No. In fact, she'd probably just either be discouraged from writing or try to hide it from you.

In a few years, she'll probably look back and see how silly her attempt at writing suicide looked, and by then be writing suicide more accurately.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I agree with the suggestions that it would be an ideal time to sit down with her and see what she thinks about the topic and have the same done with your nephew, while I’d support the creative writing it would concern me.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I wrote things like that for the sole purpose of freaking out my mom when I was younger.

Of course now I realize that this isn't something to be proud of.

MBTI
    INFP

You know what. You never know. Keep an eye on her.
    Let me tell you a story that ended badly. This kid I knew, he would always joke about these stuff with me. "haha, I'll kill myself if all fails". I didn't take him seriously. Afterwards he said he was really going to do it but he was giggling all the while. Just see if it keeps popping up.
    Because in his case the joke was on me. He shot himself a year ago. He had been joking about this since we were 10 years old, he was 20 when he died.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-