• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Introverted SJs

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you ever wish you were less introverted, and more extroverted?

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Yes. I often have the trouble of getting myself out of my head. I've been using my job in retail as a way to try to fix this. I've been noticing more frequently the times when I'm helping a customer, and I'm so stuck in thought that I haven't vocalized my thoughts to let the customer know I'm actively thinking of a solution to their problem. It's hard to intentionally vocalize what you're thinking.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, I don't. Life's a growing experience. I can change myself through practice. I can improve things. I like the mix that I am I just want to improve it a slight bit.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I honestly do. It's hard for me too, because I used to be really extroverted, at least much more than I am now. Now I'm highly introverted, I'm trying to get back to that level I was at previously.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I wish I were able to make friendships more easily. I get the sense that always being polite and unrevealing makes people less willing to approach me personally. It's like being respected but not loved. So in that capacity sometimes I wish I were more E.

But then being more I I think creates a little more of a mysterious aura around me. It makes me a better listener and makes my words count more. And I have time to develop deeper relationships with the fewer people. I guess you could say I'm more "real," which pleases me.

Lightning_Rider

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Yeah, but then again, I feel the same positives that Take Five does. I guess it's good to be who I am.

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
Interesting the thoughts on this. I seem very extroverted and friendly at first, until I settle into my surroundings. Then I just quietly glide past smiling and waving hi at a distance.

Friendly and nice, leave me with the feeling a lack of personality or could it be their character's a bit weak. I usually fall into this category, so I never get close to others, for fear they might find me a bit dull. Anyhow, I never go out of my way to make friends. However, I do find highly intellectual persons very attractive, they can talk forever and I can soak up a good deal of information in the process.

I have noticed being too real is not always great. I had a site on Yahoo 360 showing the real me and had one or two people mildly interested. However, I decided to switch to Multiply; keep my identity a secret and never refer to myself. Suddenly I was very popular. It got to be too much to keep up with for my introverted needing some time alone personality and about a year later shut it down. I still get asked when will I reopen it, but I much prefer to have my free time spent in being me than in keeping up the status quo.

I love introverted persons for their depth of feelings and thoughts and would love to spend some quiet time talking to one person rather than a highly energetic extroverts that need to answer their phones every five minutes. LOL I love extroverts also, they show me how to never dwell in depression and always look for the positives in life. I just wish they had the intensity to be completely focused on our friendship/relationship.

jazzyidahovandal

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Yes, I wish I was more extroverted. I'm so socially awkward around new people. It's hard at times on me. when I'm around friends, it's not a problem and they were pretty understanding. My ENFP BF takes the pressure off me for the most part, but when he's not around, it is pretty hard.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I prefer to see the strengths of being and introvert (Less prone to loneliness, ability to work independently, and such) and use them to my advantage rather than seeing the strengths of being an extrovert and simply drooling over them.

So, to answer the question, I do not ever wish I was an extrovert. (Nor do I usually wish to be something I cannot be. Practicality associated with being an S, I suppose)

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
I wish I were able to make friendships more easily. I get the sense that always being polite and unrevealing makes people less willing to approach me personally. It's like being respected but not loved. So in that capacity sometimes I wish I were more E.

But then being more I I think creates a little more of a mysterious aura around me. It makes me a better listener and makes my words count more. And I have time to develop deeper relationships with the fewer people. I guess you could say I'm more "real," which pleases me.

I agree with that 100%.

I found out recently that people think I'm cold, which amazed me. I also think my boss thinks I'm boring. So I'm trying to be more expressive and 'fun' in a conventional sense. It seems to be paying dividends, but it's so exhausting keeping up the charade.
That's not me in reality, and I suppose I really wish people would accept my introvertedness and put a bit more effort into getting to know me, if they really care.
For some reason, other quiet people get away with not saying or doing much, and they're far quieter and less expressive than me. People think that I'm deliberately hiding myself, and that the quiet me isn't the real me, and I don't know why I give off different vibes.

But to answer the question, I don't like extraverted character traits in general because to me they seem fake, or plain annoying - so I'd rather be I anyway. It filters out superficial people.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd rather be introverted. I'm slightly expressed introvert- so I can and will often come off as extroverted. I know for sure i'm introverted because because on Fridays, after work, I beeline straight home, sit on my couch, and 'recharge' by being in total silence, or playing a video game or looking at tv. No phone or other outside people. Depending on what type of week I've had my recharging can go from a few hours to the whole night!

Extroverts- well some of them- are pathetic when they can't shut up.

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
Do you ever wish you were less introverted, and more extroverted?

Yes. Yes I do.

I prefer to see the strengths of being and introvert (Less prone to loneliness, ability to work independently, and such) and use them to my advantage rather than seeing the strengths of being an extrovert and simply drooling over them.

I see what you're saying there, but I actually have become extremely prone to loneliness as of lately. My personality really could be undergoing a change, if that's possible.

I'd rather be introverted. I'm slightly expressed introvert- so I can and will often come off as extroverted. I know for sure i'm introverted because because on Fridays, after work, I beeline straight home, sit on my couch, and 'recharge' by being in total silence, or playing a video game or looking at tv. No phone or other outside people. Depending on what type of week I've had my recharging can go from a few hours to the whole night!
That used to be fine for me in the past, but now it does me no good. On the very limited opportunities that I've had to be with others on the weekends, it is by far the best thing I experience. I no longer look forward to spending my free time playing my video game system and watching TV or whatever, though it used to be fun for me.

My deal is that I'm going to college soon for my first year, and when I visited there a few months ago, I made the realization that I really need to change my ways of being a loner. I really loved the people I met there and I felt like it was the first time I could really connect with anyone. Over the past year or two, I noticed that my lonerdom was becoming less satisfying than it was from 8th-10th grade or so. So, I've been making efforts to better myself, and people around me say that I've changed a lot and that I've become a lot more sociable.

BlueSky

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Your situation sounds a lot like mine Max. Somehow I came to equate being sociable to being better and once I came to that I've made it a goal to be more extraverted. Whereas in 8th grade I was voted "Most Quiet", in my later years of high school I ran for president, joined a few sports, got myself thrown out during an assembly (peacefully), and generally just tried to make it known that I am not the person I was before. (Apparently, it worked so some extent. Some of my friends explained that people were talking about how different I had become. Of course, nobody told me how their perception had changed.)

Introversion does have it's advantages though. The ability to endure through long periods (seriously, like weeks) without having a real conversation is not something I would want to give up, even though I should hope that won't occur again. Too much comfort around people also seems to let people be more comfortable doing stupid things. Additionally, Introversion makes Si our dominant trait which I'm not sure I could go without.

And, at least specifically for us ISTJs, we're supposed to be good with the ESFPs which is just plain awesome.

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
Your situation sounds a lot like mine Max. Somehow I came to equate being sociable to being better and once I came to that I've made it a goal to be more extraverted. Whereas in 8th grade I was voted "Most Quiet", in my later years of high school I ran for president, joined a few sports, got myself thrown out during an assembly (peacefully), and generally just tried to make it known that I am not the person I was before. (Apparently, it worked so some extent. Some of my friends explained that people were talking about how different I had become. Of course, nobody told me how their perception had changed.)
That's a pretty cool story. I especially like how you got active in doing things like sports and running for president. I never did anything like that at all. I wasn't known for anything really except that I was going to permanently abandon everyone as soon as high school was over when I move to Florida. But it kind of backfired in the sense that people actually showed some interest in that since it's more of an ambition than many of my classmates had, so I became more friendly with people over the years.

Introversion does have it's advantages though. The ability to endure through long periods (seriously, like weeks) without having a real conversation is not something I would want to give up, even though I should hope that won't occur again.
Er... I've definitely lost that ability. While from late '04 to early '08 or so I enjoyed time alone with video games and the TV or just walking outside, it just depresses me now. Whether I'll be able to satisfy what I want or not will soon be determined.
Too much comfort around people also seems to let people be more comfortable doing stupid things.
True, but not necessarily 100% of the time. There are extroverted people who very rarely, if ever, say anything stupid, and I've said plenty of stupid things in the past.
Additionally, Introversion makes Si our dominant trait which I'm not sure I could go without.
I'm not an expert on the functions, so I'm not exactly sure on how to tell them apart, but I suppose it's a better trait to have than some others.
And, at least specifically for us ISTJs, we're supposed to be good with the ESFPs which is just plain awesome.
Well, maybe. Couldn't back that up based on my personal experience, but I guess it depends on the individual.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes. Yes I do.

I see what you're saying there, but I actually have become extremely prone to loneliness as of lately. My personality really could be undergoing a change, if that's possible.

That used to be fine for me in the past, but now it does me no good. On the very limited opportunities that I've had to be with others on the weekends, it is by far the best thing I experience. I no longer look forward to spending my free time playing my video game system and watching TV or whatever, though it used to be fun for me.

My deal is that I'm going to college soon for my first year, and when I visited there a few months ago, I made the realization that I really need to change my ways of being a loner. I really loved the people I met there and I felt like it was the first time I could really connect with anyone. Over the past year or two, I noticed that my lonerdom was becoming less satisfying than it was from 8th-10th grade or so. So, I've been making efforts to better myself, and people around me say that I've changed a lot and that I've become a lot more sociable.

I went through that coming out of high school- what's different now is that, after a week of work, where in a lot of respects I have to interact and exert outwards, on Fridays I need a few hours to myself, just to recharge. I've also learned myself to know when I've fully recharged; I'll get an urge to get out the house and interact.

You sound like you could be like me- you are introverted but prefer to be around people when you have the energy to do so. :yes:

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I'd rather be introverted. I'm slightly expressed introvert- so I can and will often come off as extroverted. I know for sure i'm introverted because because on Fridays, after work, I beeline straight home, sit on my couch, and 'recharge' by being in total silence, or playing a video game or looking at tv. No phone or other outside people.

LOL, I do this every day after getting home from work. Too much stimulation, so I have to be by myself, I don't like talking to anyone after work because I'm already out of energy. So yeah I watch TV or listen to music or something.

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
But to answer the question, I don't like extraverted character traits in general because to me they seem fake, or plain annoying - so I'd rather be I anyway. It filters out superficial people.

I swear that the only people I know that I feel are superficial are E's. Most of them come off as fake to me. "Fake" is one of my biggest pet peeves.

I have always been attracted to introverts -- I think it's partly because of the air of mystery that seems to surround them. It's like a present. E's are the pretty wrapping on the outside that doesn't mean much, but I's are the gift inside that you have to open to reach. Even the best known I's are hard to read sometimes...and mystery is exciting to me.

Sometimes I wish I was more social - I can judge myself pretty harshly sometimes for not being more social before I remind myself that it's okay to be an introvert. I envy social butterflies sometimes for their social ease. But then I lose myself in a good book and remember that I like who I am. :wubbie:

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a Property Manager for a real estate company during the day and I do wish I were more extroverted then. I'm very nice and very polite, but I just don't quite have that "bubbly" personality that my broker does and I feel sometimes that it can get in the way.

Otherwise, I'm content with being introverted. Keeps people guessing about me.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
No, I really don't have any desire to be more extroverted. My introversion isn't negatively impacting my life.