User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Introverted SJs

MBTI
    INTJ

I'd rather be introverted. I'm slightly expressed introvert- so I can and will often come off as extroverted. I know for sure i'm introverted because because on Fridays, after work, I beeline straight home, sit on my couch, and 'recharge' by being in total silence, or playing a video game or looking at tv. No phone or other outside people. Depending on what type of week I've had my recharging can go from a few hours to the whole night!

Extroverts- well some of them- are pathetic when they can't shut up.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Do you ever wish you were less introverted, and more extroverted?
    Yes. Yes I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    I prefer to see the strengths of being and introvert (Less prone to loneliness, ability to work independently, and such) and use them to my advantage rather than seeing the strengths of being an extrovert and simply drooling over them.
    I see what you're saying there, but I actually have become extremely prone to loneliness as of lately. My personality really could be undergoing a change, if that's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    I'd rather be introverted. I'm slightly expressed introvert- so I can and will often come off as extroverted. I know for sure i'm introverted because because on Fridays, after work, I beeline straight home, sit on my couch, and 'recharge' by being in total silence, or playing a video game or looking at tv. No phone or other outside people. Depending on what type of week I've had my recharging can go from a few hours to the whole night!
    That used to be fine for me in the past, but now it does me no good. On the very limited opportunities that I've had to be with others on the weekends, it is by far the best thing I experience. I no longer look forward to spending my free time playing my video game system and watching TV or whatever, though it used to be fun for me.

My deal is that I'm going to college soon for my first year, and when I visited there a few months ago, I made the realization that I really need to change my ways of being a loner. I really loved the people I met there and I felt like it was the first time I could really connect with anyone. Over the past year or two, I noticed that my lonerdom was becoming less satisfying than it was from 8th-10th grade or so. So, I've been making efforts to better myself, and people around me say that I've changed a lot and that I've become a lot more sociable.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Your situation sounds a lot like mine Max. Somehow I came to equate being sociable to being better and once I came to that I've made it a goal to be more extraverted. Whereas in 8th grade I was voted "Most Quiet", in my later years of high school I ran for president, joined a few sports, got myself thrown out during an assembly (peacefully), and generally just tried to make it known that I am not the person I was before. (Apparently, it worked so some extent. Some of my friends explained that people were talking about how different I had become. Of course, nobody told me how their perception had changed.)

Introversion does have it's advantages though. The ability to endure through long periods (seriously, like weeks) without having a real conversation is not something I would want to give up, even though I should hope that won't occur again. Too much comfort around people also seems to let people be more comfortable doing stupid things. Additionally, Introversion makes Si our dominant trait which I'm not sure I could go without.

And, at least specifically for us ISTJs, we're supposed to be good with the ESFPs which is just plain awesome.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    Your situation sounds a lot like mine Max. Somehow I came to equate being sociable to being better and once I came to that I've made it a goal to be more extraverted. Whereas in 8th grade I was voted "Most Quiet", in my later years of high school I ran for president, joined a few sports, got myself thrown out during an assembly (peacefully), and generally just tried to make it known that I am not the person I was before. (Apparently, it worked so some extent. Some of my friends explained that people were talking about how different I had become. Of course, nobody told me how their perception had changed.)
    That's a pretty cool story. I especially like how you got active in doing things like sports and running for president. I never did anything like that at all. I wasn't known for anything really except that I was going to permanently abandon everyone as soon as high school was over when I move to Florida. But it kind of backfired in the sense that people actually showed some interest in that since it's more of an ambition than many of my classmates had, so I became more friendly with people over the years.

Introversion does have it's advantages though. The ability to endure through long periods (seriously, like weeks) without having a real conversation is not something I would want to give up, even though I should hope that won't occur again.
    Er... I've definitely lost that ability. While from late '04 to early '08 or so I enjoyed time alone with video games and the TV or just walking outside, it just depresses me now. Whether I'll be able to satisfy what I want or not will soon be determined.
    Too much comfort around people also seems to let people be more comfortable doing stupid things.
    True, but not necessarily 100% of the time. There are extroverted people who very rarely, if ever, say anything stupid, and I've said plenty of stupid things in the past.
    Additionally, Introversion makes Si our dominant trait which I'm not sure I could go without.
    I'm not an expert on the functions, so I'm not exactly sure on how to tell them apart, but I suppose it's a better trait to have than some others.
    And, at least specifically for us ISTJs, we're supposed to be good with the ESFPs which is just plain awesome.
    Well, maybe. Couldn't back that up based on my personal experience, but I guess it depends on the individual.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Yes. Yes I do.

I see what you're saying there, but I actually have become extremely prone to loneliness as of lately. My personality really could be undergoing a change, if that's possible.

That used to be fine for me in the past, but now it does me no good. On the very limited opportunities that I've had to be with others on the weekends, it is by far the best thing I experience. I no longer look forward to spending my free time playing my video game system and watching TV or whatever, though it used to be fun for me.

My deal is that I'm going to college soon for my first year, and when I visited there a few months ago, I made the realization that I really need to change my ways of being a loner. I really loved the people I met there and I felt like it was the first time I could really connect with anyone. Over the past year or two, I noticed that my lonerdom was becoming less satisfying than it was from 8th-10th grade or so. So, I've been making efforts to better myself, and people around me say that I've changed a lot and that I've become a lot more sociable.
    I went through that coming out of high school- what's different now is that, after a week of work, where in a lot of respects I have to interact and exert outwards, on Fridays I need a few hours to myself, just to recharge. I've also learned myself to know when I've fully recharged; I'll get an urge to get out the house and interact.

You sound like you could be like me- you are introverted but prefer to be around people when you have the energy to do so.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    I'd rather be introverted. I'm slightly expressed introvert- so I can and will often come off as extroverted. I know for sure i'm introverted because because on Fridays, after work, I beeline straight home, sit on my couch, and 'recharge' by being in total silence, or playing a video game or looking at tv. No phone or other outside people.
    LOL, I do this every day after getting home from work. Too much stimulation, so I have to be by myself, I don't like talking to anyone after work because I'm already out of energy. So yeah I watch TV or listen to music or something.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    But to answer the question, I don't like extraverted character traits in general because to me they seem fake, or plain annoying - so I'd rather be I anyway. It filters out superficial people.
    I swear that the only people I know that I feel are superficial are E's. Most of them come off as fake to me. "Fake" is one of my biggest pet peeves.

I have always been attracted to introverts -- I think it's partly because of the air of mystery that seems to surround them. It's like a present. E's are the pretty wrapping on the outside that doesn't mean much, but I's are the gift inside that you have to open to reach. Even the best known I's are hard to read sometimes...and mystery is exciting to me.

Sometimes I wish I was more social - I can judge myself pretty harshly sometimes for not being more social before I remind myself that it's okay to be an introvert. I envy social butterflies sometimes for their social ease. But then I lose myself in a good book and remember that I like who I am.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I'm a Property Manager for a real estate company during the day and I do wish I were more extroverted then. I'm very nice and very polite, but I just don't quite have that "bubbly" personality that my broker does and I feel sometimes that it can get in the way.

Otherwise, I'm content with being introverted. Keeps people guessing about me.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

Banned
    MBTI
    ISFj

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Do you ever wish you were less introverted, and more extroverted?
    if it helped all my problems then yes, otherwise no

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

No, I really don't have any desire to be more extroverted. My introversion isn't negatively impacting my life.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~