First 4567 Last

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    297 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Umm, not affectionate in the typical, hugs and jumps for joy over your presence sort of way. My two best friends are actually ISFJ, so I guess there's something to that personality type that drives me, an ENFP to them. But they are affectionate for sure. Usually it comes through doing favors for me without question, or offering emotional support if I need it. It's a different kind of support though, since I feel it's some weird hybrid between an NF and an NT. They can remove themselves from the situation and be objective about things, and they aren't empathetic to the point of an NF, but their guidance is undoubtedly heartfelt.

I'd say, at least with the ISFJs I've known for many years, they show their affection for you through action more than anything else. Sometimes, sure, I could use a bit more touchy feely so-to-speak, but hey, I like them!
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jem123 View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this site. I'm ISFJ .

I would say that I'm extremely affectionate with people I know really well. I don't want to ever make anyone uncomfortable so I am very careful about who and how I show this affection. I hug often and cuddle during movies. I hold hands. And I like sitting close to others on long car rides. I am also a massage therapist so I am constantly reaching out and massaging hands, shoulders and necks when I'm feeling generous. Which is pretty often. I'm not too big on pda but, I love linking my arm with someone else. With people I don't know as well, someone who isn't a close friend or family, I'm a lot more reserved. It's hard for me to understand whether or not they want me to do something like that.

My best advise if you would like an ISFJ to show their affectionate side is to be affectionate to them and encourage affectionate actions. Don't be weird about them taking your hand or cautiously playing with your hair. They're testing the waters and seeing if they can get closer to you.
    I used to want to be a massage therapist, but thought I would be weirded out massaging other men. Women have told me that I'm pretty good at it.

Yes, ISFJs are about the cuddles with loved ones. Not so much with people they don't know. I like holding hands, in public or private. Touching is very important.
    Likes Jem123 liked this post

MBTI
    ISFJ

As an ISFJ with an ENTJ boyfriend, I can attest to the fact that I am very affectionate, I love to touch and be touched. Affection is very important to me. However, my love and craving for attention comes off (to him) as being overly clingy and needy. I understand his POV but at the same time, I feel like I'm showing him I love him by being close and affectionate.

As an ISFJ friend, yes I'm also affectionate, but I'm respective of other people's boundaries. Just by observing for a couple minutes, I can come to a conclusion of "oh, she needs a hug" or "she's very closed off. Better not."

Many times, my affection manifests itself in either gift-giving or by doing things for the other that they may not have time to do for themselves. I like surprising my friends with fresh-baked cookies or a little note with some cash inside. To me, it's the little things that can leave a lasting impact, but not everyone views it that way.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ??? None

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but the ISFJs that I know are very caring, considerate, helpful, and strong. They are private, but once you get to know them they can be very affectionate.
    I've noticed that my ISFJ friends show affection towards me by listening patiently, giving help and spending time with me, and giving a LOT of protection. They can also give very warm hugs.

This ISFJ guy once had a huge crush on me, and he would email me all the time to say really nice things, but would be too scared to say them to me in person. He gave me little gifts and offered to buy things for me (naturally I said 'oh no thank you' because I didn't want to take advantage of his kindness), and he would ask about my day all the time.
    He was very protective and he tried to be strong for me when I was upset. He was a gentleman and was very polite to me; not flirty or full of superficial smooth-talk like some of the other guys I knew. He was very honest, and he didn't try to show off or act all cool.
    He would stand up to the other guys when he thought they weren't treating me with enough respect, since he was very old-fashioned and believed in the whole 'knight in shining amour fights to win the heart of his lady' thing. I knew that was hard for him since he wasn't an outgoing person.
    Overall, he was a really good guy.
    But, I didn't realize that I felt the same thing for him as he felt for me, until after I moved out of town. Sadly.

He kinda reminded me of Captain America...not sure what the Cap's type is though. But anyway, what was the point again?

Oh yeah, yeah, ISFJs can be very affectionate people once you get to know them.

I think that if I was to have a relationship, I would want either another ISFJ or an ISFP, ISTJ, or an iNtuitive type, such as an INFJ, INTJ, or INTP. (IXFJ or INTX would be best.) And I wonder why these are all introverts...?

Oh, the ISFJ guy found another girl, by the way. So don't worry about him.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Intolerably so, based on first hand experience with my ISFJ (ex) girlfriend.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

hmm, I could see ISFJs ranging from over-the-top obnoxiously affectionate to very cold and uncomfortable showing any affection. enneagram/instinctual variant would play a big part.
    Likes Chanaynay, yama liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp

Every single one.

If you ever meet an xSFJ and they don't smother you in their adoration, you ask them "why you always lying?" and quickly Heel Face Turn away from them. Make sure your velocity is high enough to generate a centripetal shield or else they might back-stab you. They've clearly demonstrated their lack of moral center by this point and have nothing to lose.
    Likes Evee liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

I definitely consider myself a friendly person but I dunno about affectionate. Sure, I like to do nice things for the people I care about like maybe make brownies or something, but not all that often. I could be an outlier but I find it kind of awkward to be affectionate in physical ways (ex. little touches or hugs) and instead express it just by doing favors for that person, being thoughtful towards them, etc. If people initiate that sort of contact with me (like a friend hugging me), I'll go with it, but I tend never to initiate that kind of thing.

Also let it be known that I find it incredibly awkward when people thank me for stuff. I got my ISTJ friend a CD for Christmas a couple years ago and he wouldn't shut up about how "thoughtful" my selection was (I got him the single of one of his favorite songs from his favorite artist that he didn't yet have). He was like, "I just bought you the cheapest thing I could find on eBay" (thanks... lol). And my reaction to compliments is to get flustered.
    MBTI: ESFJ
    Enneagram: 6w7 9w1 2w3 so/sx
    Temperament: Phlegmatic | Sanguine
    Astrology: Leo Sun | Aries Moon | Leo Rising
    Johari | Nohari

not a type description
    Likes Fun in the Sun liked this post

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by 21lux View Post
    I definitely consider myself a friendly person but I dunno about affectionate. Sure, I like to do nice things for the people I care about like maybe make brownies or something, but not all that often. I could be an outlier but I find it kind of awkward to be affectionate in physical ways (ex. little touches or hugs) and instead express it just by doing favors for that person, being thoughtful towards them, etc. If people initiate that sort of contact with me (like a friend hugging me), I'll go with it, but I tend never to initiate that kind of thing.

Also let it be known that I find it incredibly awkward when people thank me for stuff. I got my ISTJ friend a CD for Christmas a couple years ago and he wouldn't shut up about how "thoughtful" my selection was (I got him the single of one of his favorite songs from his favorite artist that he didn't yet have). He was like, "I just bought you the cheapest thing I could find on eBay" (thanks... lol). And my reaction to compliments is to get flustered.
    Same here. I'm very reserved so I don't initiate a lot of physical attention, unless I know that person is receptive to it. Greetings is a big one. If I know you aren't a hugger, I won't even try, just say hello. Some people don't even like to shake hands. I have to say that I'm quick to shake hands with everyone I first. If the person wants to hug me on first meeting/parting then I let them do that do. I'm kind of like, do whatever you like to me, lol. But, yeah, real reserved on how much affection to show around acquaintances and strangers.

I pretty much don't miss birthdays and always try to call and stop by with a card or gift. I just want to let people know that they're not forgotten.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9W1

It really depends. We can be rather affectionate to people we are close to, but if, for example, it is someone we like, we may not show it very easily. We are afraid of getting emotionally injured, and therefore do not want to show interest before the other person.
    Amazonian