• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Si] A Couple Questions

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I just had another small spat with my sister on the return trip to the tech center this afternoon. This is somewhat normal -- we disagree on a regular basis.

However, I noted her behavior this time. When she gets upset with me, and I ask her why (because I am not completely certain why) she gives a vague answer. Answers such as, "because", or "you're a jerk", and the like. She just cannot answer directly -- i.e. "why" I am an alleged jerk.

I have a few ideas on why she reacts this way, and perhaps someone else can enlighten me. :)

The main thing that prompted me to recall the event was her reaction -- she began ignoring me and listening to her MP3 player. This may sound mundane, but to me it is quite baffling.

I'm not sure why, (perhaps Si?) but I have always associated music with memory. When one happens, the other happens as well.

For example: Before I moved my electronic equipment and gaming systems to my bedroom, I had them in the basement next to the family computer. When Lost Odyssey came out, I just had to play it. (As I do most RPGs.) During the time I spent playing this game (About 35 hours) she was next to me surfing the web. (MySpace, most likely.)

The *entire* time, she played nothing but that awful song from Gavin DeGraw, "I'm In Love With A Girl", and it stuck. Whenever I play Lost Odyssey, or see images from hit, I hear that song in my head and it will not go away. Likewise, when I hear that horrible song on the radio or at home, I can see images from Lost Odyssey in my mind's eye.

My Mom doesn't do this --- and I'm pretty sure she's an ISTJ at this point. This leads me to believe it may not have anything to do with type. Or does it?

Does anyone else do this? If so, do you know why?

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It does sound familiar...close, but not exactly like that. It's not always songs, specifically, but associating something with an event because of chance proximity instead of actual relevance...that happens to me a little bit. I'm probably not as outwardly aware of it, but I have noticed it a few times, recently.

A lot of people seem to say they get that, too, though.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Yeah I sort of do this, though not exactly in the same context. If I am doing something and there is a song playing, depending on how memorable what I was doing was, the song will remind me of what I was doing. This is similar with my sense of smell- that is, certain smells bring back memories of particular things. :)

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
90% of my songs on my ipod have a memory associated with them. That's why my iPod is so engulfing. It's like nearly every song invokes Si by bringing back memories. I can tell you how I found out about just about every song I have.

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Yeah, I know what you mean. Same here, raz. Once, I actually made a "tree" of my "musical history", just so I could see how my taste changed.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I strongly associate music with emotional moments. I almost never cry, but there are few music pieces that make me always cry. It's... weird. :)

Also, I've associated Offspring's Smash album with Shannara Trilogy, because I listened to that while reading the book. Anytime I hear songs from that album, I can imagine the characters of that book almost as if they were real...

And in many ways, music touches my soul deeply. But only certain music, not all... for example, pop, rock and RnB leaves me completely untouched. I feel absolutely nothing. But whenever I hear the music from The Fountain movie, I become the surfer of the audio waves. :D

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
For instance, there are a handful of songs I used to play a lot while I played World of Warcraft:

Hilary Duff - Beat of My Heart
Donna Lewis - I Love You Always Forever
Jim Brickman - You

Those songs, I loved them at the time I played WoW, and still do, but because I played them while I played WoW, and WoW was so important to me, playing those songs now invokes so many memories of the game that I intentionally play them just to lose myself in the memories to remind myself of where I've been. It's a weird thing, but being Si dominant has it's own personal pluses.

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Funny you should mention that. I spent a little time thinking about what you had posted and remembered. When I read Ian Irvine's "The Well of Echoes" series, I was listening to David Lanz's album, "Sacred Road". Now they're linked in the same way you described.

I never really got into WoW, but when I did the seven day trial, I had just gotten Symphony X's "The Divine Wings of Tragedy", and Within Temptation's "The Silent Force" albums. And now when I hear them I can see my little blue archer elf running around.

I don't mind those, but I had this long argument with someone on the internet where ultimately feelings were hurt (this was a few years back), but at the time I was listening to Within Temptation's "Mother Earth", album. Unfortunately, I now associate a couple of the songs on that album with a few negative feelings. I avoid listening to them now. :sad: