• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] ISFJs and yelling outbursts

maliafee

Is this normal?

My ISFJ is WONDERFUL, but when something goes wrong and he's super frustrated (a piece of machinery doesn't work and he can't figure it out, over and over and over, for instance), he will let out a super big "GHAHHHHHH!!!" at no one in particular. Sometimes he's so mad he has to go outside and pace and yell a few times. No amount of consoling helps, it's best to just let him get it out.

It's not directed at me, it's not scary, it's just unusual. I've never heard anything like it.

Any thoughts?

cogdecree

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
I don't believe (not 100% sure, others will confirm such or not) this is ISFJ related, but more of individually learned techniques of releasing stress. I'm also guessing if working out is unavailable (like if your at work) or time constraints (taking time to listen to music).

I do this myself occuationally, especially in similar situations (meddling with machinery).

I don't think its werid myself.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
My mom is an ISFJ, and does the same thing. Also, when she accidentally hurts herself she has the same type of outburst, and if you try to talk to her during that time, she gets even more upset.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
(Actually, I should add that an ESFP I know does the same thing.)

maliafee

(Actually, I should add that an ESFP I know does the same thing.)

Interesting. Well my older ESTP brother used to yell out of nowhere, but only to get out his anxiety. Like he'd be reading a book for an hour or so and just have to yell. Hehe. Totally different thing though.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I don't really think that's related to MBTI. All of my brothers seem to yell out when they're frustrated and they don't have the same personalities.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
Yes, I do this....and have for a long time. I don't enjoy it.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have been on the receiving end of an ISFJ yelling outburst.. It is weird and I can only liken it to a toddler having a tantrum... I'm not saying this is the case for all ISFJs at all just in this case. The only way I could find to deal with it is to remain very calm and unmoved, as in this particular case there is a need to unsettle the person they are ranting at, once they see that this is not happening half the motivation is gone. Then it's just a case of taking their mind of things and trying to rationalise (Very difficult for ENFP) them out of their tantrum... Basically deal with it as you would a toddler... This is just my experience with one particular ISFJ it can't be said for every ISFJ of course

PS I love and admire the said ISFJ very much and so none of the above is meant as an isult

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have been on the receiving end of an ISFJ yelling outburst.. It is weird and I can only liken it to a toddler having a tantrum.

Surely anyone who directs a yelling outburst at another person could be likened to a toddler having a tantrum. It's not an adult thing to do.

Like others have said, it's not a type thing it's individual. Can’t say I understand it.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been known on rare occasion to shout back when shouted at. Damned Fe sneaking up on me. :p

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
Surely anyone who directs a yelling outburst at another person ......

The OP was addressing outbursts as a result of frustation with challenging tasks...not outbursts during personal exchanges.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The OP was addressing outbursts as a result of frustation with challenging tasks...not outbursts during personal exchanges.

I read the OP. What you quoted was responding to someone talking about an outburst directed at her, as I quoted.

The rest of my post was in reference to the OP.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lol, I do this when I'm really at my wit's end, although it's usually laced with expletives ;)

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
To the OP, I gave it some more thought and it seems that I am much more likely to experience an outburst when the rask at hand was unexpected...like an automotive breakdown...or some task where I have not been able to gather the proper tools and do a little research into what might be wrong. I seldom have problem when I encounter difficulties performing tasks that I intentionally prepared for.

Is this a preference fault? I hope a few other ISFJ folk will stop by and offer their experiences and insight. I'd like to see if (as your OP suggests) there might be some corelation here...where we might take steps to address the problem?

I understand that part of the preference profile fo an ISFJ is to avoid conflict (or as I see it pointless conflict) ...an outburst at objects or processes is one thing but at people? It would have to be a very specific and intense provocation for me at least.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My ISTP brother does this. He even will hit things that bother him. (Like if he stubs his toe he will kick the thing that he hurt it on) Only when he is really mad though.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have to admit i do have yelling outbursts .. although trying to control them .. My problem is everything has to be done a particular way ie Perfect, so when the flat pack instructions are in a foreign language, i'll just get on with it until i flip out and throw the screwdriver across the room .. but as quick as my outburst is, im calm again and i start all over again .. Because i do everything almost perfect i expect the same in return .. lol .. but flat pack items are not usually perfect be it instructions or missing screws ..

Tea Party

MBTI Type
IXFj
Enneagram
4 SO
Yeah... I do that. o_O It's just because we don't usually let out our frustration, it just builds and builds until we have random outbursts like that. I didn't know it was so unusual...

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't do this. I get frustrated with things sometimes but I don't yell out.

I have, however, yelled back at someone who yelled at me first.