I am not sure if this is the right place to put this thread, but here it goes.
I recently graduated from a major in Computer Science. I have some work experience in software programming in 2 internships. I am having serious second thoughts about a career in programming.
I know many places list computer programming as a possible career for ISTJ, but I just don't see it working well.
Some of the pains I recall having during my internships:
- software development requires programmers do time estimate... but it's hard to get a good estimate right because it depends on the complexity of the issue, familiarity of the code, and 'messiness' of the code - this causes me a lot of stress worrying about getting the estimate and the actual work complete
- I have trouble visualizing software design patterns: they are abstraction put in to enforce structure and behavior of the code so it's easier for people to think about. I see the code, but I can't make the connection without taking a lot of time mapping it out.
- I seem to have trouble seeing the big picture compared to the other developers.
- I seem to be the only one that needs a walk to freshen up my mind after solving some stuff.
- I had a headache after work EVERYDAY. But that might be related to not getting enough sleep (7 hrs). One of my co-worker even took the reference book home and read it. How did he do it?
Am I or are the online MBTI career pages crazy?