User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ

Default ISTJ & Computer Programming

I am not sure if this is the right place to put this thread, but here it goes.

I recently graduated from a major in Computer Science. I have some work experience in software programming in 2 internships. I am having serious second thoughts about a career in programming.

I know many places list computer programming as a possible career for ISTJ, but I just don't see it working well.

Some of the pains I recall having during my internships:
    • software development requires programmers do time estimate... but it's hard to get a good estimate right because it depends on the complexity of the issue, familiarity of the code, and 'messiness' of the code - this causes me a lot of stress worrying about getting the estimate and the actual work complete
    • I have trouble visualizing software design patterns: they are abstraction put in to enforce structure and behavior of the code so it's easier for people to think about. I see the code, but I can't make the connection without taking a lot of time mapping it out.
    • I seem to have trouble seeing the big picture compared to the other developers.
    • I seem to be the only one that needs a walk to freshen up my mind after solving some stuff.
    • I had a headache after work EVERYDAY. But that might be related to not getting enough sleep (7 hrs). One of my co-worker even took the reference book home and read it. How did he do it?

Am I or are the online MBTI career pages crazy?
    Last edited by Ozz; 04-06-2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: subject-verb agreement

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

hm, I think you're making a good point against going into software development per se as those skills are pretty crucial, however have you considered doing Quality Assurance type of work (with software)? that's usually less involved with the "genesis" of the software and more with the detailed nitpitcking of its operations.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

I like programing, but I can't see myself doing it. Not exciting enough.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    I like programing, but I can't see myself doing it. Not exciting enough.
    I agree. I'm more of a "hands on" guy. I wouldn't like programming. I also did a little bit of computer science in college and I found it wicked boring. But then again, I'm not exactly a math whiz.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I actually never read in ISTJ profiles that they are to be good at programming. But I havent read that much ISTJ profiles either

I myself face a similiar problem. I am a classical mechanical engineer, but after I saw the working conditions of two engineers I worked with in two different companies, I didnt want to do it no more. They literarily spent the whole day in a dark room and develop things. Both of them where totally lost in their own mind and hardly able to communicate in a way with me, normal people would understand. And besides that, they are hold responsible for like everything. If something didnt work with the product, they were the first to blame.

Totally sucks for the money you get. I was thinking about industrial marketing or projectmanagment for my job later.

You really have to go into the companies and find out about all the different jobs there are in the real world to find your nische.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    I

I like computer programming, but as far as a career goes, it's easily replaceable. If you're not good enough, then you'll have trouble finding a job to be honest. Plus it can get frustrating... I know if I have a bug in a program, I hate it because I will have to find a resolution to it, and figure something out. Of course part of it was because I didn't know the language well enough.

MBTI
    LoLz

There's a difference between programming and development. If you have set rules to go by, what you are programming, then it is simple. The ISTJ can do it easily. If you are developing something to program, then that's where the ISTJ will fall short. We can master the language just fine. It's when we have to create the ideas for a program that we can't do it.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    There's a difference between programming and development. If you have set rules to go by, what you are programming, then it is simple. The ISTJ can do it easily. If you are developing something to program, then that's where the ISTJ will fall short. We can master the language just fine. It's when we have to create the ideas for a program that we can't do it.
    Agreed. If someone tells me to find a solution to the problem, it's not the right job for me. However, if someone tells me how to program something, and I just have to program it by fixing minor (easy) errors, then I'll take that one haha.

MBTI
    LoLz

That's why I won't try to go into programming. I can't do development. Everything keeps coming back to accounting. :/

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    hm, I think you're making a good point against going into software development per se as those skills are pretty crucial, however have you considered doing Quality Assurance type of work (with software)? that's usually less involved with the "genesis" of the software and more with the detailed nitpitcking of its operations.
    Actually, the first internship I had before the software development internships were QA. It was a manual tester job through, so there wasn't any opportunity to do automated testing. The work wasn't bad. There was something I didn't like but I can't quite remember what it was...

I was definitely a nitpicker through.