• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJ & Computer Programming

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I am not sure if this is the right place to put this thread, but here it goes.

I recently graduated from a major in Computer Science. I have some work experience in software programming in 2 internships. I am having serious second thoughts about a career in programming.

I know many places list computer programming as a possible career for ISTJ, but I just don't see it working well.

Some of the pains I recall having during my internships:
  • software development requires programmers do time estimate... but it's hard to get a good estimate right because it depends on the complexity of the issue, familiarity of the code, and 'messiness' of the code - this causes me a lot of stress worrying about getting the estimate and the actual work complete
  • I have trouble visualizing software design patterns: they are abstraction put in to enforce structure and behavior of the code so it's easier for people to think about. I see the code, but I can't make the connection without taking a lot of time mapping it out.
  • I seem to have trouble seeing the big picture compared to the other developers.
  • I seem to be the only one that needs a walk to freshen up my mind after solving some stuff.
  • I had a headache after work EVERYDAY. But that might be related to not getting enough sleep (7 hrs). One of my co-worker even took the reference book home and read it. How did he do it?

Am I or are the online MBTI career pages crazy?:doh:

Last edited:

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hm, I think you're making a good point against going into software development per se as those skills are pretty crucial, however have you considered doing Quality Assurance type of work (with software)? that's usually less involved with the "genesis" of the software and more with the detailed nitpitcking of its operations.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like programing, but I can't see myself doing it. Not exciting enough.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I like programing, but I can't see myself doing it. Not exciting enough.

I agree. I'm more of a "hands on" guy. I wouldn't like programming. I also did a little bit of computer science in college and I found it wicked boring. But then again, I'm not exactly a math whiz. :doh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I actually never read in ISTJ profiles that they are to be good at programming. But I havent read that much ISTJ profiles either :D

I myself face a similiar problem. I am a classical mechanical engineer, but after I saw the working conditions of two engineers I worked with in two different companies, I didnt want to do it no more. They literarily spent the whole day in a dark room and develop things. Both of them where totally lost in their own mind and hardly able to communicate in a way with me, normal people would understand. And besides that, they are hold responsible for like everything. If something didnt work with the product, they were the first to blame.

Totally sucks for the money you get. I was thinking about industrial marketing or projectmanagment for my job later.

You really have to go into the companies and find out about all the different jobs there are in the real world to find your nische.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I like computer programming, but as far as a career goes, it's easily replaceable. If you're not good enough, then you'll have trouble finding a job to be honest. Plus it can get frustrating... I know if I have a bug in a program, I hate it because I will have to find a resolution to it, and figure something out. Of course part of it was because I didn't know the language well enough.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
There's a difference between programming and development. If you have set rules to go by, what you are programming, then it is simple. The ISTJ can do it easily. If you are developing something to program, then that's where the ISTJ will fall short. We can master the language just fine. It's when we have to create the ideas for a program that we can't do it.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
There's a difference between programming and development. If you have set rules to go by, what you are programming, then it is simple. The ISTJ can do it easily. If you are developing something to program, then that's where the ISTJ will fall short. We can master the language just fine. It's when we have to create the ideas for a program that we can't do it.

Agreed. If someone tells me to find a solution to the problem, it's not the right job for me. However, if someone tells me how to program something, and I just have to program it by fixing minor (easy) errors, then I'll take that one haha.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
That's why I won't try to go into programming. I can't do development. Everything keeps coming back to accounting. :/

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
hm, I think you're making a good point against going into software development per se as those skills are pretty crucial, however have you considered doing Quality Assurance type of work (with software)? that's usually less involved with the "genesis" of the software and more with the detailed nitpitcking of its operations.

Actually, the first internship I had before the software development internships were QA. It was a manual tester job through, so there wasn't any opportunity to do automated testing. The work wasn't bad. There was something I didn't like but I can't quite remember what it was...

I was definitely a nitpicker through.:hi:

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I am not sure if computer programming is an official ISTJ occupation, but if it is, it might be because software were simpler or the procedural paradigm was still popular back then.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm a professional software developer, and a wanna-be game programmer (working on me first indie-game :wubbie:).

Computer Programming is very suitable task for an ISTJ, since we ISTJs are usually:

• Structured and organized. We like building and maintaining structures, and that's what programming is mostly about.
  • We are logical thinkers and solvers. Whenever we meet a problem, we want to solve it, where as some other might ignore it, find a workaround or panic. Problems and inconsistencies are the nemesis of an ISTJ. So we like squishing bugs.
  • Good planners and executors. We constantly schedule and plan our lives forward. Deadlines are no strangers to us. We are very good at keeping deadlines.
  • Hard-working. As long as we have duties, we are busy.

• software development requires programmers do time estimate... but it's hard to get a good estimate right because it depends on the complexity of the issue, familiarity of the code, and 'messiness' of the code - this causes me a lot of stress worrying about getting the estimate and the actual work complete

Doing time estimates is really difficult, but one will learn with experience what can and can't be done quickly. Knowing the software in practice is a key element here. SJs might have a tendency to be too strict on their time estimates. I think ISTJs might promise more than they can deliver... can't really say why, but might have something to do with them trying to please others. Something like "No matter the burden, I'll survive."

I think it's better to overestimate than underestimate, because you are usually given the time you first estimate. And if you can deliver it faster than what you promised, you will only end up looking more diligent.

• I have trouble visualizing software design patterns: they are abstraction put in to enforce structure and behavior of the code so it's easier for people to think about. I see the code, but I can't make the connection without taking a lot of time mapping it out.

Again, experience will help... especially the kind of experience which got you into problems not following design patterns. ISTJs have Introverted Sensing. They learn best by doing the mistakes themselves. We have hard time understanding complex abstractions. But that doesn't mean we can't learn design patterns. Actually, I'd say design patterns were made by SJs! Why? Because design patterns are tested-and-trusted solutions for re-occuring problems. We SJs are very good at solving problems from the past, aren't we? :D

• I seem to have trouble seeing the big picture compared to the other developers.

So do I, but they seem to have problems staying in schedules, reporting, marking up working hours and sharing information. Their code is very confusing, whilst mine is simple and very understandable. I topped the scoring at work-efficiency in the company's internal reviews. N makes all those funky features. We make basic features, and we make 'em fast!

• I had a headache after work EVERYDAY. But that might be related to not getting enough sleep (7 hrs). One of my co-worker even took the reference book home and read it. How did he do it?

Do you take breaks? ISTJs are notorius for being hard working individuals. I almost never take breaks, like other people do at my workplace. I never leave my desk, until I have an urgent matter to attend to. I don't chat or socialize during the work day. That's why I'm always fully concentrated on my work, and it gives me headaches. Also, one should remember to eat well during the workday too. A lunch just isn't enough.

Am I or are the online MBTI career pages crazy?:doh:

Software developing is a team effort, and every team should have an ISTJ. But team full of ISTJs is lacking. So, co-working with your colleagues will get a head. You shouldn't have to do everything yourself.