User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 19 of 19

  1. #11
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    I don't thrive off debates especially not conflicts. However I'm usually hanging around the middle ground and will try to convience others to join me in the center. Suffice to say I don't really have any strong opinions as I keep on looking for both sides of the arguement.

  2. #12
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    The ISTJs I know actually hate conflict.

    If it's an impersonal affair then it's not much of a problem, the ISTJs I know usually only speak up when there is a major error.
    That's me pretty much. I reserve judgment and criticism for only the times that I feel it's necessary. I don't put my business out there too much. I like to avoid conflict if I can.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    453

    Default

    I do argue, but it's not for the sake of arguing. I do have strong opinions and when I argue it's usually to defend them because I see them as being logical and right. Like you say you like arguing about 'subjective' topics, but I would consider that I know my point of view on those topics and only a clear, rational and objective argument will sway me on those. I will also argue against opinions/expressions of thought which I see as being logically and rationally flawed.
    I don't like being devil's advocate. I will pick up on what people are saying and argue the opposite for the sake of it when I'm in a mood and they're annoying me. I wouldn't do it to someone I was in a good mood with.

    I don't like conflict, but if someone aggressively engages me in one I will take it up and leave it when I've decided upon an exit strategy where I think I've gained the upper hand.

  4. #14
    Perfect Gentleman! =D d@v3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    2,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    The ISTJs I know actually hate conflict.

    If it's an impersonal affair then it's not much of a problem, the ISTJs I know usually only speak up when there is a major error.
    However, I'll do it to annoy someone if they are irritating me. Other than that, I really don't like one-on-one conflict. Of course, also if someone imposes their view on me that violates one of my values I will defend myself.

    I try to avoid fighting with words. Why? Because in 10 minutes your going to end up right where you started- unless of course someone walks away.

    ESTJ's on the other hand.... have a tendency to :steam: (obviously not all of them)
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #15
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    My Dad, ESTJ, 72 year old retired Army Colonel is the DARK OVERLORD of conflict!

    I have seen him chew people out my whole life. When he determines someone has screwed up and is need of an ass chewing - LOOK OUT. He goes for the jugular immediately and takes no prisoners. I've seen him deck a few people too, so physcial conflict is fine by him too.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cogdecree View Post

    I don't like debating if I don't know what I'm talking about, and it usually starts by me critiquing someone else who puts forth a subjective idea (thus more often than not teachers are the ones who feel my wrath, always though, in a professional way).
    I don't try bring anyone to my point of view. Quite frankly, my point of view is mine. If someone wishes more information to make up their own mind all they need do is ask and I'll explain what I think or what my reasoning is/was. If they feel it's flawed, I'll listen to what they have to say and decide. If they're correct then I'll incorporate the change and move on. If not, then I'll simply thank them for their opinion and move on. No need for conflict.
    ...doesn't work or play well with others...

  7. #17
    Senior Member cogdecree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    165
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    I have a habit of testing people's logic. I might take up an impersonal role, and question their beliefs and values in different situations, testing how long they'll support their own idea, and if they can see their own faults (if there's any).

    An example:

    Me and my ISFJ were discussing about the Earth Hour (the thing in which you turned all lights off for an hour), and she wanted to participate (being Fe ). Well, I started questioning her reasoning, why was it important to participate.

    Me: "So, why you wanna join in?"
    ISFJ: "Because I care about the environment."
    Me: "Sure you do, but is this the right way? I mean, what are you going to do when it's all dark and you can't see anything? Light a candle?"
    ISFJ: "Yeah, it will be moody. "
    Me: "Sure it will be, but do you think it's environmental? I mean, you want to shutdown the sources of light and replace them with new sources of light, that also have to be manufactured, packed in plastic, freighted in stores, brought home and then burned, which will burn oxygen and produce carbon dioxide. I mean, is it really more efficient to change the source of lightning just for an hour?"
    ISFJ: "Uh... I don't know... but I think the idea is more important."
    Me: "Okay, let's turn off the lights then. "
    ISFJ: "Yeah, but we'll be at friends' party by then.. I hope they would let us participate the Earth Hour."
    Me: "Of course they will... I'll make 'em. "

    (And they did, after I asked them to.)

    Moral of the story? I test people, even though I would agree with them. I just want to see their reasoning to be able to trust them. It's Extroverted Thinking at work.
    I do such as well, make them lay down the foundation of their thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by ArbiterDewey View Post
    Contesting bullshit I enjoy, but I don't actively search out for conflict. When I was very religious/anti-religious I found I that I enjoyed questioning Christians on their beliefs as to make them aware that if they don't know what they believe, why wear the mantle of anything ignorantly. Also making things logical is a big point I try to emphasize.

    On another note, if I'm able to be convinced that I'm wrong (which is no simple task sometimes) I will acknowledge my wrongness and apologize if necessary. Ignorantly carrying on as if correct is pointless, esp. if it's a major discrepancy. I do have a tendency to force weak willed people over to my side of an argument even if it contradicts their original point, however.
    Most of my debates are reactive, to something I donít agree on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I do argue, but it's not for the sake of arguing. I do have strong opinions and when I argue it's usually to defend them because I see them as being logical and right. Like you say you like arguing about 'subjective' topics, but I would consider that I know my point of view on those topics and only a clear, rational and objective argument will sway me on those. I will also argue against opinions/expressions of thought which I see as being logically and rationally flawed.
    I don't like being devil's advocate. I will pick up on what people are saying and argue the opposite for the sake of it when I'm in a mood and they're annoying me. I wouldn't do it to someone I was in a good mood with.

    I don't like conflict, but if someone aggressively engages me in one I will take it up and leave it when I've decided upon an exit strategy where I think I've gained the upper hand.
    Iím not sure if I made this clear enough, but these debates and conflicts are usually in good spirits, and thus itís a battle of logic, with out hurting others feelings or what not.


    Quote Originally Posted by d@v3 View Post
    However, I'll do it to annoy someone if they are irritating me. Other than that, I really don't like one-on-one conflict. Of course, also if someone imposes their view on me that violates one of my values I will defend myself.

    I try to avoid fighting with words. Why? Because in 10 minutes your going to end up right where you started- unless of course someone walks away.

    ESTJ's on the other hand.... have a tendency to :steam: (obviously not all of them)
    Haha, Where I live my view is the minority view, maybe thatís why Iím in more debates. And there isn't any insults flying around, or raised voices.

    My crime theories teacher, out of 40 to 50 theories, she only likes 3, and she makes this quite obvious when she teachers, and I find this annoying, so I agree with fire with fire on this aspect.


    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    My Dad, ESTJ, 72 year old retired Army Colonel is the DARK OVERLORD of conflict!

    I have seen him chew people out my whole life. When he determines someone has screwed up and is need of an ass chewing - LOOK OUT. He goes for the jugular immediately and takes no prisoners. I've seen him deck a few people too, so physcial conflict is fine by him too.
    I just thought that this one was funny, nice post


    Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    I don't try bring anyone to my point of view. Quite frankly, my point of view is mine. If someone wishes more information to make up their own mind all they need do is ask and I'll explain what I think or what my reasoning is/was. If they feel it's flawed, I'll listen to what they have to say and decide. If they're correct then I'll incorporate the change and move on. If not, then I'll simply thank them for their opinion and move on. No need for conflict.
    More often than not, Iím defending my views, since this is on subjective topics, there is chances of turning peoples opinions here, especially on these topics.

  8. #18
    Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    925

    Default

    I do like debates. I classify people into two groups generally. People who are "with it" and people who are fools. I will not debate or argue with fools unless I need to in order to assert authority. I like to argue (not fight) but I always do a cost/gains analysis before deciding whether or not to do it.

  9. #19
    Senior Member cogdecree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    165
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    I do like debates. I classify people into two groups generally. People who are "with it" and people who are fools. I will not debate or argue with fools unless I need to in order to assert authority. I like to argue (not fight) but I always do a cost/gains analysis before deciding whether or not to do it.
    I think that sets the tone for my enjoyment of debates. I'm not hunting people down, and I am in an educational setting, and since this these debates cover subjective material,, you can't argue right or wrong, you argue over pros/cons.

Similar Threads

  1. Hologram theory and the existence of fate and/or God
    By Valiant in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-21-2012, 08:05 AM
  2. [MBTItm] NFPs and Debating, or, Get Your NT on.
    By Charmed Justice in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-25-2009, 12:13 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-25-2009, 02:20 AM
  4. Request: Pictures of Seattle and/or surrounding areas
    By swordpath in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 05:35 AM
  5. [INFJ] INFJs and/or HSPs: Do you get depressed in the wrong kind of job?
    By karenk in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-27-2008, 11:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO