• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Elderly SJs Tell Boring Stories?

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I wonder if there is a correlation between Si and old people who like to tell excruciatingly long, boring stories. My reason being is the my grandfather (ESTJ) and my grandmother (ISTJ) would both used to do this.

I could be innocently walking downstairs to get a drink when my grandmother would spot me and call me over to sit down. This was always a bad sign. She never wanted to chat, so I had either done something wrong or... it was 'story time'. I would literally cringe. Then an hour later, when the story has about finished I had nearly TWO or THREE seconds (I'm not exaggerating!) to excuse myself and RUN. But if I missed this opportunity I would then have to sit there for another hour, nodding my head, as she continued on to tell another story that I had probably already heard before. This has got to be the most tedious and annoying thing I have ever had to sit through in my entire life.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It probably depends on the things that they have experienced and remember. For instance my ISTJ grandmother went through a lot of stuff in her life, a lot of hard times. It's interesting hearing her stories for me, and she always loves telling them.

Pancreas

MBTI Type
ISTP
I wonder if there is a correlation between Si and old people who like to tell excruciatingly long, boring stories. My reason being is the my grandfather (ESTJ) and my grandmother (ISTJ) would both used to do this.

Yeeeesss!! My maternal grandmother (ISFJ) will interrupt any conversation the rest of us are enjoying if it provides her with the chance to talk about this absolute bore of a man who tried to sell her those decorative things that go at the end of curtain rods to stop the curtains falling off once at an outrageous price and she gave him a piece of her mind didn't she and that reminds her of the time a policeman pulled her over for speeding and she most certainly wasn't and she gave him a piece of her mind didn't she...

It probably depends on the things that they have experienced and remember. For instance my ISTJ grandmother went through a lot of stuff in her life, a lot of hard times. It's interesting hearing her stories for me, and she always loves telling them.

On the other hand, my paternal grandmother (also ISFJ, as far as I can remember) used to tell great stories. She was less inclined to just reminisce for the sake of it though, so boring curtain stories remained untold.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I had an ExxJ grandfather, and he was VERY fun to talk to, before the Alzheimer's took his personality away. :cry:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do associate this kind of thing with Si, and therefore SJs. :cheese: It seems it would make them more inclined to do so. I don't know; looking for more people's opinions on whether that function contributes strongly.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I wonder if there is a correlation between Si and old people who like to tell excruciatingly long, boring stories.

I wonder if there's a correlation between Ni and unappreciation of good ol' stories. :dry:

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My xSTJ maternal grandfather used to tell me loads of stories all the time, but
he was actually one hell of a storyteller and he had seen a lot of shit. Always
found it quite pleasant to listen to it.

My grandmother who is still alive, my earlier mentioned grandfather's wife, on
the other hand... Her stories are kind of boring ^^ But they never last long
since she's always scurrying around like a little squirrel trying to
accommodate guests. :rolli: I think she's an ISFJ.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
There's an ESTJ who works in a different department from mine but still has a lot to do with us. She's only middle aged but your OP reminded me of her.

She is always the last person you want to ask a question as she talk on and on and on and only twenty percent is pertinent to what you asked while the other eighty is just a horrible little extra about how she first enivsaged her pet casual subscription K78 sim card pool excell sheet which she has been up all weekend thinking about with no idea that my nodding and uh-huhhing has become completely mechanical and I've become so bored that I've forgotten the answer she gave me seven minutes ago.

Of course not all SJs are like this, in fact if this was a trait I would it was only barely an STJ trait. ESFJs easily charm me.

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
Well I think SJs like to tell stories... I suppose whether they're interesting or boring depends on the life of the person telling them!

Mind you, I can kind of relate. I tend to keep quiet unless I think I have something interesting to say, and I'd say I have a rough idea of what bores people, so I don't think I'm guilty.
I don't like saying it, but my ISFJ boyfriend can come out with the odd story which isn't the most amusing/interesting thing in the world, but I think it's sweet. I mean, it's not like this is his staple conversation or anything, but still, it's noticeable. I swear our ability to talk about the most mundane subjects and still keep each other interested is why we've got such a great bond!

On the other hand, my mum can bore me on the phone for hours and she's ISFP.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Ahh come on, unless dry and factual accounts of past occurrences isn't your thing, there aint nothing boring about it. Just grow a set of S-balls. lol

My grandpa I believe was an xSTJ (he passed last year). He always had stories. They weren't animated or lively, but I never had trouble enjoying them.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I wonder if there's a correlation between Ni and unappreciation of good ol' stories. :dry:

Of course there is.
Since we see the end before story actually ends.

In the worst case scenario(s) we will see a large number of possible outcomes.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I generally like the stories about the past because they are factual and you typically learn something from them. :yes: I especially like the war stories.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's that I don't appreciate my grandma's stories. In retrospect they seem interesting as she talked a lot about growing up in the 1920's and working for the war effort in WWII, but she would talk for HOURS. I remember once having to listen to her talk for 4 hours about railroads and one-room schools. Maybe it would have been more interesting if she would let me ask a few questions. And she'd retell the same stories OVER and OVER. In fact I used to say, "Grandma, I've already heard this story before. Many times in fact." She would pause, give a quizzical look as if I had just lied to her, then continue... :doh: I mean it was like she was dumping her Si on me.

Of course there is.
Since we see the end before story actually ends.

In the worst case scenario(s) we will see a large number of possible outcomes.
Lol, how true.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Aww... poor Shaula. Why didn't YOU initiate the conversation with your questions? That way you would hear what you WANTED to hear. :D

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Aww... poor Shaula. Why didn't YOU initiate the conversation with your questions? That way you would hear what you WANTED to hear. :D
I tried, didn't work. She only wanted to tell stories when she was 'in the mood'. Generally she was a very difficult person to live with.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
My ISTJ grandfather does tell long rambling stories. My ESFP grandmother makes them interesting by adding all sorts of fun details (most of which I am assured are made up).

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I wouldn't mind good stories... my grandfather just tends very uninteresting stories how he always managed to slip away from the duties in the army... And the other grandparents never tell any stories really. But then again, I've been saved from the boredom, right? :D

I just find old people generally boring, because we seem to live in a completely different world, me and them.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Would Bill Cosby's character in "The Huxtables" be a good mental image to get when thinking of what you refer to?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Maybe they're boring because they're old, not because they're SJ's.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love old people's stories. They're always interesting. I love old people. You have to have patience with them though.