• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Elderly SJs Tell Boring Stories?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
SJs can tell boring stories even when young.

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, I'll start off by saying that I am extremely biased, because I think (most) old people are awesome.

My aunt used to run this thing where seniors would get together and eat lunch, play cards, whatever, 3 times a week. During the summer I would go there with my grandma and hang out with all the old people. The majority of them were SJs, and I really liked hearing about their lives.

My 97-year-old great-grandpa is ISTJ and I could listen to him talk for hours.

Pancreas

MBTI Type
ISTP
I love old people's stories. They're always interesting. I love old people. You have to have patience with them though.

I have to admit, sometimes I have limited patience. But some stories are just boring.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I wonder if there is a correlation between Si and old people who like to tell excruciatingly long, boring stories. My reason being is the my grandfather (ESTJ) and my grandmother (ISTJ) would both used to do this.

I could be innocently walking downstairs to get a drink when my grandmother would spot me and call me over to sit down. This was always a bad sign. She never wanted to chat, so I had either done something wrong or... it was 'story time'. I would literally cringe. Then an hour later, when the story has about finished I had nearly TWO or THREE seconds (I'm not exaggerating!) to excuse myself and RUN. But if I missed this opportunity I would then have to sit there for another hour, nodding my head, as she continued on to tell another story that I had probably already heard before. This has got to be the most tedious and annoying thing I have ever had to sit through in my entire life.
This has little or nothing to do with type and more to do with generational problems. They're trying to tell you something for your own good. Trust me, you will regret not listening 30 years from now.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe they're boring because they're old, not because they're SJ's.

Yeah, I think a lot of old people are boring regardless, but maybe some of the other types would have more stories to tell of super exciting things they've done.

I am considered an excellent raconteur. I remember all the little details that add the flavor to the story.

Me too. I'm a natural story teller and I try to make it interesting. People seem to like it. I'll probably drive my loved ones crazy with my story-telling too when I get old though.

I have to admit, sometimes I have limited patience. But some stories are just boring.

I know. Bless your darling ISTP heart. :heart: :hug:

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
This has little or nothing to do with type and more to do with generational problems. They're trying to tell you something for your own good. Trust me, you will regret not listening 30 years from now.
I still think that SJs are more likely out of the other types to tell stories. Now for some life lessons from my grandparents stories:

Hate the British because they cause nothing but trouble.

Don't ever associate with black people or we'll disown you.

Cheating on your wife is okay.

So is stealing money from the church.

Having sex with a red head is the best sex you can have.

Remember: don't use condoms!

Going to college is a waste of time. You're better off doing industrial work.

You're going to hell if you don't attend church.

If the kids are getting to be too much to deal with, drop them off at the sewage waste plant and make them walk home.

Spanking a child for accidentally breaking a peice of china is too light of a punishment. Whip them with a razor strap and they'll make sure to be more careful in the future.

Getting your kids drunk is hilarious.

A woman's place is in the kitchen. Men are better than women.

Love is conditional.

Don't spay or neuter your pets. When they procreate just get rid of them.

You're lazy and worthless if you don't get on your hands and knees and scrub the kitchen floor everday. (My grandmother always used stories to nag me. She'd often compare me to 'decent' people and put me down a lot.)

Don't get insanely drunk and shoot your outhouse with a shot gun. Because there aren't any mythical creatures inside it and you'll be covered in shit.

Honestly I think these stories aren't worth it when one considers the psychological damage it has done to me and my father.

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I guess there isn't a whole lot for old people to do but recant their life to anyone who is in the vicinity. I got out of the house at seventeen and never looked back, so I have limited experience with being "trapped" when stories start to get told. Now, when I go back to my parents' house and help them with whatever manual labor needs to be done I'll hear the "I remember when..." start to come out. I used to politely sit through them, but now excuse myself for the bathroom or say its time to get home, or whatever.

As to a correlation between type and the interest level (or boredom level) I'm not too sure any one type has a claim to being most/least interesting. And it isn't just old people. I'll overhear a conversation at work and somewhere in the exchange an "That's just like what happened to me..." will get tossed in.

The need to share/validate, I would imagine.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I mean it was like she was dumping her Si on me.

Haha yeah, I know that feeling, it's not that I hate stories it's just when it's the third or fourth time you've heard it and they're going into every little detail, it gets tedious.

How the hell do they remember all that stuff? I can barely remember what happened last week, must be Si.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
No story is boring. Only the listener is a bore.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The day we become elderly is the day society has become far older and wiser, truly something to look forward too.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Many of the elderly S's I know are boring and like to tell long boring stories.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I wish my grandma had told more stories. It would have to be better than inquisitions on the cleanliness of my underwear (in case I should be in an accident), whether or not I was dressed warm enough, whether I'd eaten enough, etc.

My family is kind of crazy, so stories could have been interesting, but she usually didn't talk about family craziness. She still had WWII ration tickets in her dresser when I was a kid. There could have been stories about that stuff, too. No such luck.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Your loss if you can't manage to eke some wisdom out of someone willing to share.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Many of the elderly S's I know are boring and like to tell long boring stories.
Elderly people in general like to tell boring stories -- if you want to think about it that way.

Hell, my INTP dad tells some of the most boring stories anywhere and he's middle-aged!

But I sit through them because...
Your loss if you can't manage to eke some wisdom out of someone willing to share.
^ This.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Idk, I take a lot of comfort in SJ stories. Back when Vent was still a thing, one of my great joys was listening to [MENTION=4883]Cimarron[/MENTION] tell stories about the office he worked in. Maybe it's cause my dad is ESTJ and he also relies a lot on anecdotes to make a point. :shrug:

fripping

MBTI Type
nerd
my great aunt who is 92 and some kind of sj pretty much dominates all major holidays with stories about god knows what and i can't bear to sit in the same room and act like i'm paying attention. it's dreadful and it makes me feel like a bad person.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Before I unsubscribe from this thread, because it's a stereotype-fest that should never have been revived*, I'll post an example of boring ENTJ (from "The West Wing"):

BARTLET: I'm not wild about Camp David.

C.J.: Yes, sir.

BARTLET: I'm not the only one, either. Bess Truman didn't like it. I read that somewhere. She thought it was dull. [pause] But there I go, Thanksgiving at Camp David.

C.J.: Yeah.

BARTLET: [pause] It's not a place you go at Thanksgiving, not when you have a farm.

C.J.: Isn't Camp David a farm?

BARTLET: No.

C.J.: Oh.

BARTLET: What makes you think it's a farm?

C.J.: I don't know, it's outside...

BARTLET: Farms have things you can grow, and animals.

C.J.: Right.

BARTLET: I want you to learn more about farms.

C.J.: There's more?

BARTLET: Yeah.

C.J.: Okay. [rolls eyes]

BARTLET: Doesn't matter. Thanksgiving's where your family is, and this year my family's at Camp David. Why, I do not know. Abbey didn't wanna schlepp to New Hampshire. Schlepping in a 747. It's not like we were gonna have to carry our own bags or anything, but I do not argue.
...Were we talking about something?

C.J.: I don't know, sir. When I came in here, back in the late '50s, there was a purpose to it, but then one thing led to another and I blacked out. I mean, I can hang in there with the best of them, sir, but somewhere during the discussion of anise and coriander and the other 15 spices you like to use to baste a turkey, I simply lost consciousness.

BARTLET: You know that line you're not supposed to cross with the President?

C.J.: I'm coming up on it?

BARTLET: No-no. Look behind you.

C.J: Yes, sir.

...Yep. That's from the Season 3 Thanksgiving episode. So... happy holidays, and may this thread return to the dark depths from whence it came!

*Note: NOT ALL OLD PEOPLE ARE SJs, and NOT ALL SJs ARE BORING