First 12345 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

SJs can tell boring stories even when young.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    SJs can tell boring stories even when young.
    I am considered an excellent raconteur. I remember all the little details that add the flavor to the story.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Okay, I'll start off by saying that I am extremely biased, because I think (most) old people are awesome.

My aunt used to run this thing where seniors would get together and eat lunch, play cards, whatever, 3 times a week. During the summer I would go there with my grandma and hang out with all the old people. The majority of them were SJs, and I really liked hearing about their lives.

My 97-year-old great-grandpa is ISTJ and I could listen to him talk for hours.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    I love old people's stories. They're always interesting. I love old people. You have to have patience with them though.
    I have to admit, sometimes I have limited patience. But some stories are just boring.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    I wonder if there is a correlation between Si and old people who like to tell excruciatingly long, boring stories. My reason being is the my grandfather (ESTJ) and my grandmother (ISTJ) would both used to do this.

I could be innocently walking downstairs to get a drink when my grandmother would spot me and call me over to sit down. This was always a bad sign. She never wanted to chat, so I had either done something wrong or... it was 'story time'. I would literally cringe. Then an hour later, when the story has about finished I had nearly TWO or THREE seconds (I'm not exaggerating!) to excuse myself and RUN. But if I missed this opportunity I would then have to sit there for another hour, nodding my head, as she continued on to tell another story that I had probably already heard before. This has got to be the most tedious and annoying thing I have ever had to sit through in my entire life.
    This has little or nothing to do with type and more to do with generational problems. They're trying to tell you something for your own good. Trust me, you will regret not listening 30 years from now.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Maybe they're boring because they're old, not because they're SJ's.
    Yeah, I think a lot of old people are boring regardless, but maybe some of the other types would have more stories to tell of super exciting things they've done.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I am considered an excellent raconteur. I remember all the little details that add the flavor to the story.
    Me too. I'm a natural story teller and I try to make it interesting. People seem to like it. I'll probably drive my loved ones crazy with my story-telling too when I get old though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancreas View Post
    I have to admit, sometimes I have limited patience. But some stories are just boring.
    I know. Bless your darling ISTP heart.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    This has little or nothing to do with type and more to do with generational problems. They're trying to tell you something for your own good. Trust me, you will regret not listening 30 years from now.
    I still think that SJs are more likely out of the other types to tell stories. Now for some life lessons from my grandparents stories:

Hate the British because they cause nothing but trouble.

Don't ever associate with black people or we'll disown you.

Cheating on your wife is okay.

So is stealing money from the church.

Having sex with a red head is the best sex you can have.

Remember: don't use condoms!

Going to college is a waste of time. You're better off doing industrial work.

You're going to hell if you don't attend church.

If the kids are getting to be too much to deal with, drop them off at the sewage waste plant and make them walk home.

Spanking a child for accidentally breaking a peice of china is too light of a punishment. Whip them with a razor strap and they'll make sure to be more careful in the future.

Getting your kids drunk is hilarious.

A woman's place is in the kitchen. Men are better than women.

Love is conditional.

Don't spay or neuter your pets. When they procreate just get rid of them.

You're lazy and worthless if you don't get on your hands and knees and scrub the kitchen floor everday. (My grandmother always used stories to nag me. She'd often compare me to 'decent' people and put me down a lot.)

Don't get insanely drunk and shoot your outhouse with a shot gun. Because there aren't any mythical creatures inside it and you'll be covered in shit.

Honestly I think these stories aren't worth it when one considers the psychological damage it has done to me and my father.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    ISTJ

I guess there isn't a whole lot for old people to do but recant their life to anyone who is in the vicinity. I got out of the house at seventeen and never looked back, so I have limited experience with being "trapped" when stories start to get told. Now, when I go back to my parents' house and help them with whatever manual labor needs to be done I'll hear the "I remember when..." start to come out. I used to politely sit through them, but now excuse myself for the bathroom or say its time to get home, or whatever.

As to a correlation between type and the interest level (or boredom level) I'm not too sure any one type has a claim to being most/least interesting. And it isn't just old people. I'll overhear a conversation at work and somewhere in the exchange an "That's just like what happened to me..." will get tossed in.

The need to share/validate, I would imagine.
    ...doesn't work or play well with others...

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    I mean it was like she was dumping her Si on me.
    Haha yeah, I know that feeling, it's not that I hate stories it's just when it's the third or fourth time you've heard it and they're going into every little detail, it gets tedious.

How the hell do they remember all that stuff? I can barely remember what happened last week, must be Si.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    NICE

No story is boring. Only the listener is a bore.