User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default How do you find motivation?

How do you find motivation? How do you know where to look? How do you know when you've found it?

General thoughts, tips, and techniques on motivation, please. Sorry I'm being vague...I'll try to be more clear if anything comes to me. Beat wrote something about this, I think. I should probably go look for that.

*How do you find motivation for long-range goals?
    *How do you find motivation for staying persistent?

I remember TheChosenOne once said competition helps (though that was kind of a topic about inspiration). Competition often does help.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Yes, competition helps a little. But I often find motivation in just GETTING IT DONE and OVER WITH! You know, fulfilling the obligation of achieving the goal and moving on to the next thing. Although I will admit, it's not easy to do and sometimes it is difficult to see the benefits of achieving that goal.

MBTI
    LoLz

I'm still working on this. Usually having someone else with me helps a crapload.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Yes, I agree with Raz, It is almost always better when another person is helping!

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by d@v3 View Post
    Yes, competition helps a little. But I often find motivation in just GETTING IT DONE and OVER WITH!
    No, because motivation must come before--not after--the thing you want to do.

Yeah, and I was just thinking last night that it is easier with someone else there. Maybe that's something. Though it also can slow me down (not concentrating on one thing).
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    No, because motivation must come before--not after--the thing you want to do.

Yeah, and I was just thinking last night that it is easier with someone else there. Maybe that's something. Though it also can slow me down (not concentrating on one thing).
    It might tie to that Te getting revved up thing I was referring to in vent. I can get like half of Te alone, but if I'm around other people, I become this black and white control freak. It's weird.

MBTI
    ISTJ

How do you find motivation? How do you know where to look? How do you know when you've found it?

General thoughts, tips, and techniques on motivation, please. Sorry I'm being vague...I'll try to be more clear if anything comes to me. Beat wrote something about this, I think. I should probably go look for that.

*How do you find motivation for long-range goals?
    *How do you find motivation for staying persistent?

I remember TheChosenOne once said competition helps (though that was kind of a topic about inspiration). Competition often does help.
    Hello again,

I think I responded to the original thread referenced, but not sure; so I'll post again.

Motivation for me is from me. I have a list of things to do, there is a reason they're on the list, that reason was important enough for me to put them on the list, and that's my motivation for doing them.

I think the persistence question can be addressed as follows - first, was the original motivation honest? Was it what the individual really wanted to do or was it something that was decided to please others? Second, if the conditions change with regard to the need, then the motivation will probably change as well, and persisting may well be the wrong thing to do.
    ...doesn't work or play well with others...

MBTI
    I

Yeah, thanks for remembering Cimarron. Yeah, competition helps big time for me. If I look at something like a game and I have to win, then I go after it harder, and it actually makes it more fun. I also somewhat like the position of having my back against the wall (tough position), because then it would be all the more great if I could recover from this bad position to succeed.

Ultimately the prospect of victory and success despite hardship is what fuels me.

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    Hello again,

I think I responded to the original thread referenced, but not sure; so I'll post again.

Motivation for me is from me. I have a list of things to do, there is a reason they're on the list, that reason was important enough for me to put them on the list, and that's my motivation for doing them.

I think the persistence question can be addressed as follows - first, was the original motivation honest? Was it what the individual really wanted to do or was it something that was decided to please others? Second, if the conditions change with regard to the need, then the motivation will probably change as well, and persisting may well be the wrong thing to do.
    I think that touches on the closure aspect too. I need to finish things I started not only because leaving something unfinished gives me an uncomfortable feeling, but at the same time, unless there's a pretty damn good reason I can't do it, to me, it's an attack on my competence that it's not finished. I view myself as not good enough to finish what I started, and it makes me work to finish it.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTj

I'm told I'm self-motivated. I set my own goals and strive to accomplish them. I agree with Raz on this one, though. Regardless of my motivation, leaving something unfinished leaves this....this awful feeling. At this point, I finish it just for the sake of finishing it. I dislike people who leave tasks unfinished, (when they could finish them), and if I see it in myself, I feel as if I'm becoming "one of them". I don't want that. ; )

In terms of motivation itself, I always look to the greater goal. I break down large tasks into bite-sized pieces and put them on a check list, then complete them one by one. Once all of the "minor tasks" are complete, than I have the joy of knowing that one "major task" is complete.

When it comes to particularly large tasks, I can sometimes feel overwhelmed, and that puts a damper on both my motivation and my persistence. This is why I do the "break it down into manageable pieces" thing.

Always remember to flank your enemies. History won't remember how dramatic your failed frontal assault looked. - Dragon Age: Origins