User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Default Do ISTJ's care about what other people think about them (more than other types do)?

I know that ISTJ's are very law-abiding and generally follow the straight and narrow path. (Which I think can be a very good thing.)

My ISTJ also cares a lot about what others think of him (and what others think of anyone that he cares about). Even the opinions of total strangers matter to him (it seems) as well as friends, family and all others.

Is this more so with ISTJ's or is it just a general thing that isn't so type-specific? Could it be that ISTJ's want to be a sort of 'role model' for others and this is why they care about what others think?

Looking forward to your thoughts! Especially anyone who is an xSTJ or anyone involved with xSTJ's

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Hmmm. I would say that what people say only matters to a point. I think it's how we view ourselves and the standards we hold ourselves to that really matter. What people say does affect us but what we think "effects" us. We tend to take others opinions as a grain of salt sometimes. We might think that they are valid, but our opinions and perspectives are what influence our emotions. They are what makes us care. ISTJs I'm sure want to be a role model in some way, but I for the most part think it's their view of whether they are doing it right or wrong.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

MBTI
    ISXJ

^ Agreed with Eagle. We're usually our own worst critic, so other people are usually trying to be congratulatory or positive when we are wallowing in our own self-loathing/pity. I really only care about what those who are close to me think -- people who know me and who I know will tell me the truth...even if it hurts.

I guess to a certain extent I want to be a role model, but that is just kind of an extension of my own high standards. But then again, I teach 7th and 8th graders...so my job automatically throws me into that position. I know my kids watch me like a hawk for things I do, the words I say, and my reactions to things.

In a nut shell, if I know I am doing/trying my best, then really, there is no more I can do. You either have to accept it or leave it. ISTJs have a very realistic and critical view of themselves, so the opinions of strangers really don't matter. I can take it as a grain of salt, but like Eagle said, my own perspective is what's most important simply because my standard is 99% of the time higher than anybody else's.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post
    We're usually our own worst critic, so other people are usually trying to be congratulatory or positive when we are wallowing in our own self-loathing/pity.
    +1

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Mhmm, so we all agree.
    - Caleb

MBTI
    istj

I care what people think about me.
    If Men's Health magazine was true, you would never need to buy more than one issue.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

I find it interesting Uberrogo that you keep disagreeing with all the other ISTJs. lol
    - Caleb

MBTI
    ISTJ

Sometimes I feel like I care too much what others think about me. On the other hand I hold myself to VERY high standards, and I really dislike failing.

I'm with Recoleta and the other ISTJ's in this thread. I definitley beat myself up over stupid things and have imaginary standards that I think others hold me to.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I don't know, this is a really tough question for me. One I've thought about before. My answer is probably "yes."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by d@v3 View Post
    Sometimes I feel like I care too much what others think about me. On the other hand I hold myself to VERY high standards, and I really dislike failing.
    This sounds like my ISTJ.