• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] Do ISTJ's care about what other people think about them (more than other types do)?

batumi

MBTI Type
infj
Hmmm. I would say that what people say only matters to a point. I think it's how we view ourselves and the standards we hold ourselves to that really matter. What people say does affect us but what we think "effects" us. We tend to take others opinions as a grain of salt sometimes. We might think that they are valid, but our opinions and perspectives are what influence our emotions. They are what makes us care. ISTJs I'm sure want to be a role model in some way, but I for the most part think it's their view of whether they are doing it right or wrong.

OK for the ISTJ I just married last week, this is also what I would say on his behalf.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I keep telling myself that I don't care. But in truth, I think I care too much. And that might be the reason why I set so high standards for my own behaviour. And those standards really do restrict things in my life. It's like a military discipline inside me head. :D

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Yeah, I definitely do care. Like others have said, I set high standards for myself, and this means that I should be appreciated along with succeeding. Basically if others have a good opinion of me, it somehow helps my self-image, and that's ultimately what's important to me. That's why one of the greatest things for me is achievement. When I achieve something, I feel so good about myself. The more, the merrier.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
you are channeling my ex's (istj) spirit. forsake society! come with me and exploreeee! i promise we won't get lost enough that we can't find our way back if we need to. (maybe) :hug: how's your friend google doing? :D

lol...Google's doing fine. ;) Ever have your heated debate over Israel/Palestine?

I never cared about my appearance in the way that I want to look pretty or care about other people liking me. I mean, once I really thought about those things, I realized why I cared about them. I care about my appearance because I want to look presentable. It affects my self-image in a way if I go out in public with just something random put on. It's more focused. That's what Te is for. As for people liking me, it's not really about being fixated on the other person's opinion or emotions. It's more of reputation. If someone dislikes me, it might come around to affect me in some way because they might have some say in something that might affect me.

uberrogo

MBTI Type
istj
I find it interesting Uberrogo that you keep disagreeing with all the other ISTJs. lol

Sorry, I cant help it. That is how I feel. :)

It isn't practical to be unliked in society. How will I ever get any team work completed?

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sorry, I cant help it. That is how I feel. :)

It isn't practical to be unliked in society. How will I ever get any team work completed?

Don't worry about it. You'll catch on eventually. We all hang together... :D

I personally only care so much about what others say and think. I care what they say and think if it reflects my own goals. But my goals are my goals, my standards are my standards and someone else thoughts aren't going to stand in the way my me comparing myself to such. :D

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think they have personal priorities .....and they'll also have ideas about how things "should be" regarding everything, so they try very hard to mesh their priorities with how things "should be", but sometimes that doesn't go so well, especially if it involved other people who don't have the same ideas.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
sometimes that doesn't go so well, especially if it involved other people who don't have the same ideas

Ahhh, the stupid people... Yes, we know of them. :yes:

Jade

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I personally don't care much about what other people think....unless they get it wrong. Meaning I've had people ascribe certain motivations to my actions (or more often, to my *inactions*) and that bugs me to no end as they draw incorrect conclusions about my subsequent behavior.

I personally only care so much about what others say and think. I care what they say and think if it reflects my own goals. But my goals are my goals, my standards are my standards and someone else thoughts aren't going to stand in the way my me comparing myself to such. :D

Couldn't have said it better myself.

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I've never been concerned with my outwardly appearance until recently. As a little kid, it was unimportant, but now that I'm older I realize that people associate appearance with competence. If a dress like a slob, I will be perceived as such.

The instances in which I care about what others think of me, (strangers, not friends/relatives) are usually reputation-oriented. I strive to be intelligent and useful, I am on this never ending journey to reach self-perfection. Therefore, I want to be perceived as intelligent and useful.

Due to my Introverted Sensing, I could care less about other people's idea of right and wrong. I know that sounds sort of mean, but the standards I place on myself are almost always higher than everyone else's. Even now, as a teenager, I use silence and fancy words to appear smarter than I actually am. (Although I do exceed almost all of my peers in terms of both "book smarts" and "common sense".)

Another thing that I see as important is trust. Honesty is very important to me, and I think it's important that others see that in me. Because I hold myself to a high level of this honesty, I expect it out of others. I am pessimistic, and I realize that a lot of people out there are dishonest, and this bothers me.

In short, I am slow to trust others, but I expect them to trust me immediately. Rather hypocritical, isn't it...?

I also have to agree with TheChosenOne.

Yeah, I definitely do care. Like others have said, I set high standards for myself, and this means that I should be appreciated along with succeeding. Basically if others have a good opinion of me, it somehow helps my self-image, and that's ultimately what's important to me. That's why one of the greatest things for me is achievement. When I achieve something, I feel so good about myself. The more, the merrier.

Amen, brother. : )

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I have enough of a challenge living up to my own standards to worry about what others think of me. I don't consider myself cold hearted (although you'd get odds on that if you ask others), but questions like "I wonder what someone would think if I did it this way...?" aren't part of my decision making criteria. When it comes to living my life the opinions of others might be considered, but aren't required. :)

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I also have to agree with TheChosenOne.

Amen, brother. : )

cheers.gif