User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    TiSe

Default ISTP/ISTJ Differences

ISTPs are not all mechanically inclined and prone to extreme sports (or are they), ISTJs may be painstakingly detail oriented (or are they). Can one be ISTP without the interest in mechanics? Can one be ISTJ without being able to balance a checkbook?

I would like to know what your experiences are in seeing the difference in the two, for those who have confirmed or are confident that they are ISTJ or ISTP, and know of at least one ISTP/ISTJ respectively. This is not to exclude other types, but I am not seeking the obvious based on descriptions or stereotypes. So you have to be pretty much be one to answer this inquiry and be able to have experienced the other type (not assuming they were, but that the person informed you that they were). I know this is a very arduous task since neither type goes around speedreading others and discussing type at least not on a routine basis.

MBTI
    INTP

When I thought I was an intuitive I thought I would not have much in common with ISTJs. However after having met a few confirmed ISTJs I've found that we do actually have a lot in common. It's kind of like a common way of interacting, or common interests, I'm not sure. They're like a mellower and calmer version of me haha. That might just be the chocolate talking though.

Jesus I'm hyperactive today.

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    ISTPs are not all mechanically inclined and prone to extreme sports (or are they), ISTJs may be painstakingly detail oriented (or are they). Can one be ISTP without the interest in mechanics? Can one be ISTJ without being able to balance a checkbook?

I would like to know what your experiences are in seeing the difference in the two, for those who have confirmed or are confident that they are ISTJ or ISTP, and know of at least one ISTP/ISTJ respectively. This is not to exclude other types, but I am not seeking the obvious based on descriptions or stereotypes. So you have to be pretty much be one to answer this inquiry and be able to have experienced the other type (not assuming they were, but that the person informed you that they were). I know this is a very arduous task since neither type goes around speedreading others and discussing type at least not on a routine basis.
    I guess I can't answer your main question since I don't think I know any ISTJs.

Personally, growing up I was never involved in sports at all, but I did enjoy the adrenaline rush of going as fast as I possibly could in whatever it was I was doing.

In recent years my adrenaline cravings are somewhat satisfied by screaming down twisty mountain roads on a 15lb bicycle trying to hit personal speed records. I wiped out on some gravel during a descent last summer that removed a lot of skin from my legs and left some pretty big scars. I don't regret it at all now that the skin has grown back.

MBTI
    INTP

Haha phone I hear you about the adrenaline rush. I've done stuff like that all my life and don't ever plan to stop.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

As an ISTJ I'm not too keen on these adrenaline rushes. But I have been playing football for 12 years now, and done some others sports too. I'm very much able to keep records and track of things, if I want to. But I've learned that isn't so necessary, so I only do that when it's really needed... if it was up to me, I'd like to have a huge collection of statistics about my life. How cool would it be to know how many bottles of Pepsi I've drank in my life.

I'm not sure, but I _might_ know an ISTP. He's very interested in watching sports, but not as keen on participating it... although he does casually play football.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I think this not liking adrenaline thing for ISTJs is a very common thing. The one ISTJ I know very well is my best friend and he actually gets sick when he experiences adrenaline. Not bad enough to cause problems but extremely uncomfortable for him. And when he is in a situation that will cause his adrenaline to rush he just gets EXTREMELY irritable if not out right pissed off and has been known to lash out verbally immediately at whatever the cause is.
    SDMF

MBTI
    TiSe

Thanks for the responses so far. What about other things that may be something that only ISTJs or ISTPs see themselves doing? For example with Si does ISTJs (as supposedly all SJs) live by the rule, "we have always done it this way"? I know that SP types don’t necessarily like change for its own sake. However I knew a female ISTJ (although I still say that she was ISFJ) that always hated when she was told this is the way we have always done it, because it allowed no room for creativity. She was impressed with my ability to negotiate resolutions to disputes and would ask me how I seem to do it so effortlessly. I had never thought about it, but would “just do it” (which is supposedly a Se/SP trait).

I think the finites are where the real differences may be, especially since I am not an adrenaline junkie in the sense being discussed. However when negotiating, actively solving a problem at work, having a situation that comes up, calling for split decision and action, I get pumped.

However I knew a female ISTJ (although I still say that she was ISFJ) that always hated when she was told this is the way we have always done it, because it allowed no room for creativity
    I have two good friends who are ISTJs and the female is fairly traditional about using tried and true ways however, she's first in line for something new if she can see that something is an improvement on the old. The male ISTJ only likes to do things the tried and true way when it makes sense to him, but in general he hates to be told what to do in the first place so he tends to ask a lot of 'whys?' and then finally agree. Likes to control others but hates to be controlled.

MBTI
    ISXJ

Can one be ISTJ without being able to balance a checkbook?
    Yes! I hate checkbooks. Seriously, I haven't balanced mine since about 2002. It's all online anyway, and I remember the things I purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    In recent years my adrenaline cravings are somewhat satisfied by screaming down twisty mountain roads on a 15lb bicycle trying to hit personal speed records.
    Yeah, I'm pretty mellow, and not the biggest fan of adrenaline. Adrenaline is fun sometimes (like rollercoasters and sports), but overall, I find adrenaline makes me uncomfortable because I act on impulse and it makes me feel nervous that my normally very calculated nature is not under my control.

What about other things that may be something that only ISTJs or ISTPs see themselves doing? For example with Si does ISTJs (as supposedly all SJs) live by the rule, "we have always done it this way"? I know that SP types don’t necessarily like change for its own sake. However I knew a female ISTJ (although I still say that she was ISFJ) that always hated when she was told this is the way we have always done it, because it allowed no room for creativity. She was impressed with my ability to negotiate resolutions to disputes and would ask me how I seem to do it so effortlessly. I had never thought about it, but would “just do it” (which is supposedly a Se/SP trait).
    Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    I have two good friends who are ISTJs and the female is fairly traditional about using tried and true ways however, she's first in line for something new if she can see that something is an improvement on the old.
    I find myself being like the other female ISTJs you described. I'm usually not stuck dealing exclusively with the "tried and true" way. If I see something better, I'd most certainly rather do that. I find that along the lines of ISTJ creativity, we're not innovators (like the Ns are) that come up with whole new systems, but I am a synthesizer in the sense that I can look at a whole bunch of different methods that have been used in the past and I can see certain features of merit in each one. Then, I take out the parts of the methods that I think went really well, and I put them together or rearrange them to produce something that is new and more efficient. A lot of people have called me creative, and perhaps that is true to a certain degree, but really, I just don't like to waste time.

MBTI
    LoLz

At times, I wonder if I'm an ISTP, but I think I can just shift over to something similar at times. I'm wondering if it's because I've just gained more experience using Ti or something. Ti is supposed to be perceptual in that it allows you to analyze things internally on the fly as opposed to following external rules set by Te. That's a problem I face a lot, even as an ISTJ. I want to be able to figure things out on my own a lot, mostly in math classes, actually. I don't like following strict procedures because they're so....forced and boxed in.