User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Trust issues

MBTI
    LoLz

Default Trust issues

I'm finding lately that I have a really hard time trusting people. This isn't just asking someone to do a simple task, and isn't always as serious as trust in a relationship. I have a very difficult time putting my faith in other people. I've been let down too many times. I know people have lives, blah blah blah. It's caused me to live by the philosophy that people are guilty until proven innocent.

Do other SJ's have this problem? ISTJs?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think this is a very common problem with ISTJs. I grew up with a few ISTJs who were let down a LOT in life and it was extremely difficult for me to earn their trust. One of them would not forgive a grudge against someone until they had died. They felt they had been betrayed by family members and past spouses. But they are getting better these days.

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    It's caused me to live by the philosophy that people are guilty until proven innocent.
    Please realise that this can turn into unhealthy behaviour. I've seen it happen to other ISTJs and have paid the price for it when I didn't deserve it.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Never count on others to do stuff they don't want to do. If you keep this is mind, you'll be fine.

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    I think this is a very common problem with ISTJs. I grew up with a few ISTJs who were let down a LOT in life and it was extremely difficult for me to earn their trust. One of them would not forgive a grudge against someone until they had died. They felt they had been betrayed by family members and past spouses. But they are getting better these days.

Please realise that this can turn into unhealthy behaviour. I've seen it happen to other ISTJs and have paid the price for it when I didn't deserve it.
    I think it's the cause of my clingyness. I feel I can't trust people to come back to me, so I reach out to them and try to hold onto them. One thing I'm noticing lately when I start really analyzing the friendships I've had that I thought were worth it, were with people that didn't seek me out just to...be with me. I only sought them for something I needed. I guess that goes back to me not really being such a good friend.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I have major trust issues too. It infects a lot of different areas of my life -- self trust, trusting lovers, and trusting my surroundings. I don't really have anything great to offer, just commiseration. Sometimes I wonder whether trying to "fix" it is pointless, because it reinforces the idea that something is WRONG with where things are it, which is really what distrust, I think, is all about. Maybe just noticing it and saying "Jesus, I'm really distrusting right now" and trying to make a cool, rational decision might help us work through it.

(Also, moved.)

MBTI
    INTJ

The only person apart from myself that I 100% trust is my boyfriend. Sad.
    The problem is if you find throughout your life that people always have motives, or they treat you badly, you get increasing evidence for how untrustworthy the population is, and can conclude that most of the population is untrustworthy.
    I think this is a large part of the reason why I hold my emotions in, because I don't trust people enough to let them see me in a vaguely vulnerable state.

MBTI
    ISTJ

I understand how you feel Raz. It makes perfect sense to me. I have been let down too much as well, and sometimes I feel the same way: guilty until proven innocent. However, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

I don't know about clingyness. You would think it would have the opposite effect? As if you were weeding out the good people from the bad and once you found that good person, you would treat them as you would like to be treated. I guess I don't understand what you mean by "seeking something from them that you needed"?

If you only seek people for your own benefit, you won't get anywhere. In other words....

You can only get what you want by helping others get what they want!

^ Try this, I guarantee it will help you!

Note: Like almost all rules, there are exceptions to this one too!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by raz
    I think it's the cause of my clingyness. I feel I can't trust people to come back to me, so I reach out to them and try to hold onto them.
    I'm going to make the assumption that you are afraid of loosing the people whom you value. Your tactic in how to prevent this fear from being realised is by being 'clingy'. The 'clingy' approach allows you to moniter these relationships more closely so you can know whether or not things are going according to status quo. Although it will give you momentary relief the uneasy feeling will return quickly thus turning this process into an endless circle. And even worse you might inevertantly drive them away.

But a friendship is like a two sided coin and you can only control your side. If you are having difficulties with the dependability of some of your friends you probably need to discuss this with them. If they value your friendship as much you value theirs then they should be willing to change their behaviour for the betterment of the whole relationship. Maybe there is something you need to correct that is bothering them as well. If not then there is nothing you can do about it and might need to re-assess the value of these friendships and the nature in which they are to be treated.

Quote Originally Posted by raz
    One thing I'm noticing lately when I start really analyzing the friendships I've had that I thought were worth it, were with people that didn't seek me out just to...be with me. I only sought them for something I needed. I guess that goes back to me not really being such a good friend.
    That doesn't mean you're a bad friend. That's how most adult relations are. What matters most is the enjoyment you derive from being involved with these people.

//Ugh.... this post took like an hour to write. I've such a hangover. :ouch:
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I do have a big hang-up about trust .. I give everything and get treated like crap in return .. With one hand i push people away so i dont get hurt and with the other i try and pull them in .. I know it is down to bad experiences and i cant change the way i am with the whole affectionate and compassionate person that i am .. Its a fine balance i think .. but its like either way its a no win situation .. If i am on guard then people wont see the real me and if i push them away i don't get to experience maybe a positive relationship/friendship. But at least i am aware of this .. so hopefully i can have a bit of foresight and not make further bad decisions.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Lately I've started becoming more misanthropic as I get disappointed by people that seem to reject me as a person because they don't seem to understand my motivations. However I don't think it'll ever become a full blown trust issue because I'm too naive and idealistic for that. My coping mechanisms are:

a) Yes - People can do stupid things because they are human. What's more important is what their intention was? Did they intend to harm me? If no, then it's fine. It was a mistake. (Some might think this is too forgiving but it's easier to deal with.)

b) Place as little expectations on the other person as possible. The only one I have for friends is that they have good intentions about my well being and when dealing with matters involving me, will take me into consideration.

c) Destroy all vunerabilities by exposing them to the public. Information can only harm me if I want to keep it as a secret.

d) I expect that most SJs will do this. I choose my friends very slowly ~ to see what sort of individual they are and what their intentions are like towards other people. This is the part where you can say I'm very slow to trust.

e) It doesn't help as an FJ I want to be around other people. If people play DnD here, the alignment that I usually give people I've never met before is neutral good. Most people have lived up to my expectations or stayed within neutrality.