User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I say that I like to live in the present...but I know that the past has a strong pull on my actions, probably. What I really mean is that I try to live in the present, but that doesn't always mean I'm successful at it.

That's how it is for me, but maybe it's not the case for Chosen One.
    That makes complete sense

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Strange really, when you think about it. After all, everything in the past has gone forever. The child you were is dead. The person you were yesterday is dead. Tomorrow has not happened yet. Given that, why do so many of us find it hard to let go of past guilt, pain, memories and all.
    The child you were yesterday and the person you were yesterday are all a part of who you are today - they're not "dead". To deny the past is to deny a large part of who you are. Remember that the past is really the only thing that has any certainty to it; the only thing that has the ability to be clung on to. Everything else is an unknown.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    lol I've had this dilemma a bunch of times (ISTJ or ISTP?). As I like to say, I'm an ISTJ when I'm working, and ISTP when I'm not working.
    Haha, people would probably mistake me as an ISTJ/ ISTP at school but at all the other times, it's fairly evident that I'm INFJ.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by IDK123 View Post
    Everything you just said makes you really sound like an ISTP then. From my understanding: SJ's tend to live in the past, SP's tend to live in the present moment, N's tend to live in the future.
    I've been thinking about this since I read your post. It's not new, lots of people say this or generally agree with it, but to me it seems strange to categorize it all so easily.

But--it does make a lot of sense when you think about what "past", "present", and "future" really mean and how human beings experience these three different situations.

It would mean that SJs prefer the past over the present and future. That even when we have to move on, and do move on, deep down we're thinking "yeah, but I would've preferred to stay in the past."
    Last edited by Cimarron; 01-31-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: suggestion
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    lol I've had this dilemma a bunch of times (ISTJ or ISTP?). As I like to say, I'm an ISTJ when I'm working, and ISTP when I'm not working.
    That's good.

Glycerine

I've been thinking about this since I read your post. It's not new, lots of people say this or generally agree with it, but to me it seems strange to categorize it all so easily.But--it does make a lot of sense when you think about what "past", "present", and "future" really mean and how human beings experience these three different situations.

It would mean that SJs prefer the past over the present and future. That even when we have to move on, and do move on, deep down we're thinking "yeah, but I would've preferred to stay in the past."
    You make a great point. Each individual is different and many people (including myself) seem to be so bogged down on trying to figure out other people that we put unrealistic clean cut labels on them. I see this on this site. People try to make generalizations like "SJs like rules and they are into conformity. However, this is not the case and there is such a wide variety in each type. For me, there are a few INFX's that drive me off the wall haha, So yeah, I would agree with you that those labels oversimplify people.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I mean, that's pretty much the disclaimer for this entire forum. If we want to discuss anything, we'll have to generalize, because MBTI is categorization. (But that line wasn't the body of my post that you quoted.)
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFP

Every now and then around here I'll run into someone who is obviously making assumptions about me from my type and I find it irritating.

That said, My ISTJ husband values the past quite a bit, I think. I think he has trouble letting go of past hurts. I don't know if that's typical or not.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Strange really, when you think about it. After all, everything in the past has gone forever. The child you were is dead. The person you were yesterday is dead. Tomorrow has not happened yet. Given that, why do so many of us find it hard to let go of past guilt, pain, memories and all.
    I'll speak to this, Geoff, and say that it may make a good thread all by itself. I have some ideas about the child not being "dead" at all. He isn't, you know, and that's the problem. Nor should he be!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Glycerine

I mean, that's pretty much the disclaimer for this entire forum. If we want to discuss anything, we'll have to generalize, because MBTI is categorization. (But that line wasn't the body of my post that you quoted.)
    well, I didn't respond to everything else because I agreed w/ it from the get go... i just did not verbalize it...my bad.