• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTJ's: how can ENFP...?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Hey all you ISTJ's! :hi:

Please give me an advice how do I need to be so I can get along the best with an ISTJ at work? I mean the way of communication, for example. How can I put down things the best so ISTJ understands it the best way? Does ISTJ need to hear "thank you for the good job?" very regularly? Does ISTJ appreciate if I ask lots of questions and if I take his sayings into consideration when making decisions?

+ many more things but I cannot put them all down the organized way right now, so I'll save you from more of my confusing thoughts!

I think this ISTJ finds me extremely confusing, too fast moving and too brainstormy personality. I'll do my best to get along with him (and it's ok currently) but please help me so I'll manage the situation!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
keep conversation on task.
talk about specific details.
figure out a system and stick to it.
follow all rules always.
they like to feel helpful and appreciate being told thank you a lot.

or...just say screw it and be yourself. ;)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh...just realized you wanted to hear from them...haha...sorry.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Work on the tasks at hand, and don't flit off into personal crap that will start to affect your effectiveness at work.

"Thanks for doing that" or "I really appreciated that" are like the worst things I can hear. I don't want to be thanked. I don't want to be appreciated. I want to be acknowledged. There's a difference. I'm more concerned with the effect that something amazing I did will have on the overall goal.

There's one ENFP I work with. Let's see, what annoys me about her? Well, she's able to do her job, but...she calls out frequently. She's 5-10 minutes late frequently. She complains about things other people do just to...complain. I don't get that. She's loud. If we're trying to do something together, and I try to take it up a notch to do it more efficiently, she's left bewildered.

If I'm not smiling or not actively socializing, that DOES NOT mean come up to me and ask, "What's wrong?" Another thing that bothers me at work a crapload is lack of clear instructions. If you give me instructions and I don't do it correctly, you probably weren't clear enough. I fucking hate it when people are vague and expect you to fill in the blanks.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
keep conversation on task.
talk about specific details.
figure out a system and stick to it.
follow all rules always.
they like to feel helpful and appreciate being told thank you a lot.

or...just say screw it and be yourself. ;)

oh...just realized you wanted to hear from them...haha...sorry.

I am not ISTJ but it seems that avoiding this kind of behaviour around ISTJs will probably be a good idea.

Am I right?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Please give me an advice how do I need to be so I can get along the best with an ISTJ at work? I mean the way of communication, for example. How can I put down things the best so ISTJ understands it the best way? Does ISTJ need to hear "thank you for the good job?" very regularly? Does ISTJ appreciate if I ask lots of questions and if I take his sayings into consideration when making decisions?

+ many more things but I cannot put them all down the organized way right now, so I'll save you from more of my confusing thoughts!

I think this ISTJ finds me extremely confusing, too fast moving and too brainstormy personality. I'll do my best to get along with him (and it's ok currently) but please help me so I'll manage the situation!

Be competent.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
avoiding it? i was telling her that they appreciate that...from my experience.
but...i typically just say screw it. ;)

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Be competent.

I can't stress that one enough. I thought it was just an INTJ thing, but for ISTJs it's similar but different. We expect you to know what you're doing, how you're going to do it and why you're doing it. If I'm giving you a blank stare, it's not because I'm sad or angry or confused, it's because you just said or did something really stupid.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

Well, if I put myself in this ISTJ guy's situation, then I'll tell you:

- Tell me flat out if you don't understand something, don't be sarcastic or complex, just be straight up.
- Also, use pictures and examples if you can to explain things.
- Tell me good job. Success and positive feedback fuels motivation.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you give me instructions and I don't do it correctly, you probably weren't clear enough.
Yes, at work if you give me instructions, I will follow them. I'm willing to do it, if you would just be specific about what IT is. This was probably the biggest problem I ran into back when I had a job.

Also, I agree in general with Raz that it helps to know I'm doing tasks the right way, that whatever I'm doing is working. In that sense, the feedback matters, not too much for emotional support, but to know that my effort is giving the best result.

Sometimes, I got the chance to work alone. That was fine. I liked it.

But I tell you what--I didn't make a lot of friends at work (was only there for a few months). The few I did talked to me even though I didn't say much back. I guess they didn't mind... :thinking: Joking around and telling stories about stuff we've done was on-the-job chatter that settled us into familiarity. Though it's true that my job didn't require a lot of thinking, so for an office job I would probably need a lot more quiet time. I need some quiet to think, when I'm working on something.

Antisocial one said:
I am not ISTJ but it seems that avoiding this kind of behaviour around ISTJs will probably be a good idea.
No, it seems like Erinavery's routine would mostly work. We probably wouldn't become friends, but we would get work finished.

Last edited:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
No, it seems like Erinavery's routine would mostly work. We probably wouldn't become friends, but we would get work finished.

I quoted both posts for a reason. My Point was that you have to pay attention to details and concentrate around ISTJ.
But she did not pay much attention to what original request actually says.

What ISTJ think about that kind of approach to things?

That was my question. I guess I hide it too well

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, at work if you give me instructions, I will follow them. I'm willing to do it, if you would just be specific about what IT is. This was probably the biggest problem I ran into back when I had a job.

Also, I agree in general with Raz that it helps to know I'm doing tasks the right way, that whatever I'm doing is working. In that sense, the feedback matters, not too much for emotional support, but to know that my effort is giving the best result.

Sometimes, I got the chance to work alone. That was fine. I liked it.

But I tell you what--I didn't make a lot of friends at work (was only there for a few months). The few I did talked to me even though I didn't say much back. I guess they didn't mind... :thinking: Joking around and telling stories about stuff we've done was on-the-job chatter that settled us into familiarity. Though it's true that my job didn't require a lot of thinking, so for an office job I would probably need a lot more quiet time. I need some quiet to think, when I'm working on something.

yes we would! i have never and don't think i could work with someone i wasn't friendly with.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I quoted both posts for a reason. My Point was that you have to pay attention to details and concentrate around ISTJ.
But she did not pay much attention to what original request actually says.

What ISTJ think about that kind of approach to things?

That was my question. I guess I hide it too well

because the original request was for istj's?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
because the original request was for istj's?

Yes, From what I know ISTJ really do not like when people say things before they think things through.
They will probably not going to tell you that in your face but I think that this can be quite annoying to them.
While ENFP can't think without talking in some cases.

I have nothng against you. It is just that you made a good example, if you ask me.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Hey all you ISTJ's!

Is there a problem or is it just in your head? You say "it's currently ok". So just be yourself. ENFPs and ISTJs have natural chemistry. I think the problem could be that you are freaked out by his robotishness. You don't see him smile so you're thinking, oh shit, what did I do? Why is he mad at me? In reality he is probably thinking :wubbie:.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ that's what i've found too. i think we can get along just fine as ourselves.

and yeah...AO...the thing is...i don't really care.

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
^ Sounds right on.

If there is a problem, I would do different things depending on if he is the boss or not. First, I always have wanted to be friendly/friends with the people I work with. Some of the people I could only be friendly with, but I definitely do like to get along and joke. When I have been in charge of others, I would like them to listen to what I say and not require tons of handholding. I don't mind people who talk a lot or are quick, but you do need to be able to focus on things as necessary.

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Oops, it posted before I was ready!

Anyway, for equal coworkers I simply appreciate it if they show up on time and are not whiners/lazy/mean to people/dramatic. I'm pretty low maintenance - if a person every now and then does or says a little thing that shows they were thinking about me personally it makes me happy.

With bosses, I like to hear that they notice and appreciate my hard work, and I enjoy being given a say in decisions/policies.

I actually like chatty people because it takes a lot of the conversational burden off me. The exception is if it is whining/lazy/mean gossip/drama, or in other ways indiscretionary and unprofessional. And yes, I get along GREAT with most of the ENFPs I know. One girl I refer to as "the puppy" (in a totally nice way). Every now and then she'll come running up behind someone and hug them without giving warning. She is boisterous and very friendly. My sister is an ENFP and are pretty much best friends.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ see...they can totally get along well as friends or coworkers.