User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default The need to belong

People say that SJs feel a "need to belong" to a group more than other types.

I would think this would be kind of an internal struggle for ISJs, because of their Introversion. (Let me know if you disagree with that.) They feel uncomfortable in crowds, but they like to be part of a group. I guess things like this forum might be a nice combination for them, with personal space and group activity?

To ISJs, are you aware of a "need to belong?" Do you belong to organizations, clubs, groups, etc? You don't have to say what they are if you don't want to.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISXJ

Outside of my classes/school program, I am not part of any kind of organized group.

I think this idea of a "need for group" goes along with the fact that ISJs are not particularly radical people. I never understood "the rebel without a cause" thing, because without people to back you up, people might find you fascinating, but really, at the rebel types, I just shrug my shoulders and write them off as a fad or a novelty. If you want to make changes, you need numbers to back you up.

If I'm going to act, I'm not going to act alone (unless I am SUPER passionate about something...and if by chance I am super passionate about something my chances are that many other people will be passionate about the same thing because as a relatively unemotional person, it takes a decent amount of frustration for me to "go against the grain" while others are motivated by much less frustration.

So all that to say, "I don't see the point of trying to act on my own to start a new idea or revolution...I'm simply not charasmatic enough for that...hence the need for ENXXs"

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I hadn't thought about it that way. Interesting...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Mayhap this could explain a biit more into why DND caught on so well for my friend.. I could definitely see it being safe, personal-space+belonging balance.

Is it that you struggle with belonging.. or that you refuse to do something unless you belong with the group doing it?? If I worded that right...
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I liked playing in the school band, because I could sink into the crowd. I always played better, meaning I was less tense and less timid, when there were others playing along with me.

But I've heard others on the board who aren't ISJs say similar things. I don't know if I liked the sense of "community" I got from it...was that really why I did it, besides liking to play the music?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I would think this would be kind of an internal struggle for ISJs, because of their Introversion. (Let me know if you disagree with that.)
    I agree. You make good points, but my guess is that other introverted types feel this way too.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I guess part of it is that (as believed by most people) all humans have a desire to belong. But SJs are reputed to have that need, which if it's not redundant, must mean SJs have a stronger desire for it than others...?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I guess part of it is that (as believed by most people) all humans have a desire to belong. But SJs are reputed to have that need, which if it's not redundant, must mean SJs have a stronger desire for it than others...?
    Hrm, I wonder.... Maybe it's true. Maybe it's better for ESJ's. If I had to choose to be another type of SJ, it would be ESTJ.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Technically, the need to belong is an Fi trait, while the need to serve is Fe.

Could this be a combination of large sample size along with desire to be grounded, knowing where you stand within the community.