• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Breaking rules is cool

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To all types:

Do you think society expresses the belief that "breaking rules is cool," sometimes even if they wouldn't break those rules themselves?

Why do you think this is so?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I've heard the expression "too cool for school," and it makes me think that's true. If there are people who are so cool they refuse to go to school, which is breaking the rules, then breaking the rules is bound to be cool. There's no way around it.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
The moral enterprise is dependent upon deviance to survive. If there aren't any bad guys, how can the good guys know how good they are?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like to break the imaginary rules not written on paper. Maybe I should be a lawyer.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
To all types:

Do you think society expresses the belief that "breaking rules is cool," sometimes even if they wouldn't break those rules themselves?

I don't think society as a whole does, but I do think some groups in society do.

It could be because they get a kick out of watching other people who are not them get in trouble. Or because they secretly hate those rules but are too straight-laced to go against them themselves... so they encourage other people who aren't to push on those barriers for them, so that eventually (hopefully) the rule is weakened or eliminated.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
It's not really about breaking rules, it's about not aknowledging them as relevant realities.

Ppl sticking to every rule like there's no tomorrow act like children hiding in mom's skirt

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I like to break the imaginary rules not written on paper. Maybe I should be a lawyer.

I hate those...so much. People stick to imaginary rules, but then when you try to bring them up, they think you're talking nonsense and insinuating. It's like...what the fuck.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Don't think breaking rules is considered cool per say, some have merit, blindly following rules because that’s what has always been done is very much uncool however.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To all types:

Very perceptive. Yes. The rules are there. They are always there...like the sun is always in the sky. The rules are ingrained in us so well as children, that by the time we enter our teens, we are sick and tired of them and want to rebel. Rebelling is fun! It makes you feel alive and independent. But even rebelling becomes rather boring and supremely selfish after a while.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I suppose that it's kind of hard to break the rules that, in my mind, I consider as "rules", such as gravity, thermodynamics, geometry, etc. "human" rules aren't really real, it's just our imagination creating them, so they can easily be disregarded when the situation calls for it.

I'd definitely think that if somebody were able to defy them he'd be super cool.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Coolness as a whole can be defined by "not caring what others say/think". So, in a sense, Breaking Rules is the epitome of coolness, really.

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Too cool for school...

That's the lamest thing i've ever heard.

Ever.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I think that certain rules can be viewed as glorified when broken. Look at street racing for an example. People already finding the thrill of racing cool, mixed with the pain in the ass of going to a track, you have a potentially dangerous combination. Mix that with media showing it as the coolest thing possible, marketing it to younger people, etc..

I don't think anyone thinks that jaywalking is the rockingest rockin to ever rock. (Uber.. this is NOT a cue to say "Jaywalking rocks." You either, Mr. Flak! ) I think the rules that are labeled as cool generally have to do with things like drugs, underage drinking, traffic and car laws, and even stealing.. these are generally things seen as awesome in younger ages.

It's my impression that once you get older, you don't view whatever you do as "cool", if you break a law it's just an act, necessary or otherwise, and if there's no consequence than yay.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Kyuuei, could you explain that again? I'm not sure I get what you mean.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Sometimes, rules don't make any sense and they ought to be broken. For example, in Buffalo, New York, it is against the rules for bus drivers to inform other bus drivers that they are running late and to please wait to pick up passengers. Sometimes, because bus drivers are so eager to follow the rules, passengers end up out in the cold for up to an hour waiting for their connecting bus. And there are times when they reach the corner where they have to wait, just to see the connecting bus go through the light and go bye bye.
How annoying is that... just because of mindless rule-following.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know about you, but I think Jaywalking rocks!