• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Breaking rules is cool

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have noticed that a number of SJs I know actually enjoy being asked to take on responsibilities, even if they already have a lot on their plate. And even if they complain about being taken for granted. I wonder if it's the being- asked that feels like an honor?
...If you can find the link to the thread about SJs and obligations, I'd be interested in reading it.

1. In response to the bold area: you're totally right! Being asked to do things is a form of recognition - it means that the person who asked you believes that you are capable and trustworthy (most of the time). SJs (or at least ESTJs) absolutely L O V E being recognized for their hard work.

Plus, we like to do useful things. It's fun! (I've never known an SJ who's okay sitting around and doing nothing. We're the ones who try to meditate and keep thinking "Okay, my dentist appointment's at three..." :))

2. Here is the aforementioned thread.

3. Forgot to respond to the OP!!
To all types: Do you think society expresses the belief that "breaking rules is cool," sometimes even if they wouldn't break those rules themselves? Why do you think this is so?

I think that, to a degree, society does express that. The image of a rebel has been attractive for many, many years, even (one might say especially) to those who wouldn't actually want to break those rules. I think the reason why people don't act on that rule-breaking urge is that they feel comfortable. Watching rebel-centric movies while vegging on the couch is COMPLETELY different from actually going out there and doing something about it.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for your input EJCC, and everybody. I'm just trying to figure out why I do what I do, and why people say I do it that way. I'm not really sure why I do it this way, and that's why I'm trying to dig to the bottom of it. :confused:

And then there's the point that it seems like people of different types are giving different ways of explaining the same thing. Almost like the only difference is semantics.

But it is just personality theory, after all. How many "real" differences can there be?

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
To all types:

Do you think society expresses the belief that "breaking rules is cool," sometimes even if they wouldn't break those rules themselves?

Why do you think this is so?

I hope this post isn't too off topic :cheese: :

Have you seen the Ocean's movies? Throughout history hollywood has had a huge impact on shaping our society. Pirates of the Carribean, since when are pirates good? Don't get me wrong, I thought those movies were pretty cool, but they do send a message across. None of those actors would even dream of doing things like that! It's the ultimate form of hypocrisy.

I think glorification of the villains or antagonists can stem mostly from the porhibition era.

Of course, hollywood is also relying on the viewer to be able to sperate fact from fiction and wrong from right. The farther left America moves, the more obscure the line between the two becomes.

So why do they make movies glorifying bandits? Because most of society loves it, and that means more money! ;)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think that people who stress the importance of following rules and standards, whether written or unwritten, are coming at things from a different viewpoint than those who are upset with them. Let's do this based on type, as we can talk about general similarities and we expect that SJs are more likely to be rule-enforcers.

SJ: They assume that people want things to stay stable, with as little upheaval and sudden jolts as possible. They are looking for a "comfort zone," as mentioned on another thread. Rules are meant to thwart the unexpected.

non-SJ: They assume that people want things to vary and be exciting. They are looking forward to the unexpected.

It sounds to me like it's repetitive and has been said before, yet it also sounds like it might be completely off. But those are my recent thoughts.