• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs: Is love worth the trouble?

fishingdude

MBTI Type
ISTJ
This thread is directed at ISTJs.

I’m on the fence about the topic of love. I’m 26 and still haven’t been in a relationship. It’s not because I’ve tried and failed with girls, it’s because I’ve never tried at all. When a pretty girl smiles at me, I usually look away. My life is ruled by my inner drive to have everything in order. I feel I need to plan everything out. Here’s a simple summary of my life plan, and how it’s gone so far.
1. Finish school – check
2. Finish college – check
3. Find a job related to my degree – check
4. Move up the career ladder to a satisfactory position – in progress
5. Build a house – currently saving money
6. Find a girlfriend – must finish previous steps before proceeding
7. Depends on how 6 goes

As you can see, I need my ducks in a row. It’s like I can’t handle more than one thing at a time so I don’t allow any time in my life for the unexpected. I live by routine and stick with what works. I feel out of control if I don't.

This brings me to the business of love. It’s something that’s foreign to me and frankly scares the hell out of me. I see all the stupid things people do for love and I think there’s no way I would do anything like that. It makes me uneasy to think that people so easily abandon all reason just as soon as their hormones kick in. No, I’m not immune to it’s effect, though I wish I was. I’ve caught myself in the heat of the moment a few times. Luckily, I realized how foolish I was acting and stopped.

Sure, I appreciate the idea of love, romance, and all that. What I don’t appreciate is gambling on an emotion, losing, and then regretting it forever. It’s a high risk game and I’m wondering if it’s really worth it.

Why is society so desperately pressuring us into finding love? You can’t turn on the TV or listen to music without getting hammered by someone’s view on love. I know I certainly feel the pressure. The two least favorite questions I hate to hear are “When are you going to find a girlfriend?” and “Are you ever going to get married?”.

When I weigh being single vs. being in a relationship, I usually side with being single. The only thing that would make me think otherwise is finding the elusive/mythical soul mate, however you’re supposed do that.

What I would like to know from my fellow ISTJs is, is love worth the trouble? How have your relationships gone? Have you had many of them? If you’re married, are you satisfied? Did you make the moves or did your spouse have to initiate all the advances? Is it worth all the stress? Do you wish you were still single?

I know we’re duty fulfillers, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we want the duties to begin with.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Sure, I appreciate the idea of love, romance, and all that. What I don’t appreciate is gambling on an emotion, losing, and then regretting it forever. It’s a high risk game and I’m wondering if it’s really worth it.
If you are unwilling to allow yourself to become emotionally vulnerable, you will never fall in, or find love.

Perhaps you should find a woman who is emotionally detached, and you both can cohabitate together, safely, and peacefully.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I don't think it's so bad that you want you life sorted out before you commit.
As for "is it worth the trouble?", what trouble? You're taking your cue from singing drama queens who indoctrinate the world with their tragic soap opera version of love.
You'll meet the right person at the right time and it'll work.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My closest friend ISTJ is EXACTLY like this. She tries to put the goal of love in the middle. (yes, its a goal for her. everythings a goal. ) And it seems to take too long and then she continues with another goal instead and love fails. She can't do two things at once. On top of the fact that love seems almost an embarrassment to her, since it lacks control.

Sure, I appreciate the idea of love, romance, and all that. What I don’t appreciate is gambling on an emotion, losing, and then regretting it forever. She completely fits this description. Its really puzzling to me, since if you don't try, it will never happen. With this method, the chances of finding love is zero percent. You logical ISTJ's should know that!

When I weigh being single vs. being in a relationship, I usually side with being single. The only thing that would make me think otherwise is finding the elusive/mythical soul mate, however you’re supposed do that. Its not a straight forward process like you are used to.

I know we’re duty fulfillers, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we want the duties to begin with

I have trouble believing that you don't want the "duty" of falling in love. Based on everything you've said, you're just afraid of failing. (I'll leave it to the other ISTJ's to say whether its worth failing or not.)

Anyways, these are the thoughts that i'm constantly feeding my ISTJ friend. I can get her to go on dates, but she hasn't found true love yet.

fishingdude

MBTI Type
ISTJ
If you are unwilling to allow yourself to become emotionally vulnerable, you will never fall in, or find love.
Very true, thus why I'm asking if it's even worth it.

Perhaps you should find a woman who is emotionally detached, and you both can cohabitate together, safely, and peacefully.
Where do you find them at, in the yellow pages?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Do what my ISTJ did: Find yourself a fun, patient INFP. (Then just before you die slip into the conversation that, incidently, you loved her. She'll be thrilled that you put it on your list of things to do before you die.)

Yeah, I pretty much think he'd say it was worth it. Actually he does say that when he isn't too busy holding up the world single-handedly. ;)

Edit: And, no, he didn't want the job of holding up the world single-handedly, but dammit, he's got it and he's gonna do the best job possible!

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Considering love as a factor in personal growth, why isn't it a goal in itself for you?

fishingdude

MBTI Type
ISTJ
As for "is it worth the trouble?", what trouble?
The stress. I get all stressed when something new comes along.

no, he didn't want the job of holding up the world single-handedly, but dammit, he's got it and he's gonna do the best job possible!
I can relate to this feeling.

Considering love as a factor in personal growth, why isn't it a goal in itself for you?
It would be if I thought it was worth striving for. I don't see the majority of the world as happy in relationships, well marriages anyway.

PinkIceTD

MBTI Type
ENFP
I agree with whoever said that you sound more afraid to fail at love than to actually have the hassle of being in that state. I guess because you can't know/control teh outcome the you'd rather not try.

Since you have never been there how do you know it's trouble (or that it will turn out badly)? Like Bella said you're taking your cue from drama versions of love. YOUR love doesn't have to be what you see on TV or hear in music.

Regardless of what we all say, I think when you decide that your fear is less than your desire to love and be loved only then will you take the "risk" to fall in love. :violin:

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ

It would be if I thought it was worth striving for. I don't see the majority of the world as happy in relationships, well marriages anyway.

Okay. Actually, I have a big mouth - I get stressed too, but I think it's the closeness that stresses me out, not so much the new-ness. And that is probably ISTJ combined with my very own personal dysfunction.
Does closeness stress you out.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I wasn't aware happiness was relevant to personal growth... I'd say that the challenges of loving someone shapes us in new and better ways, but clearly it is not for the risk-averse. If you're content with gaining nothing, then risk nothing.

:shrug:

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Absolutely. I've always had a problem letting others get close. Never tried getting close to anyone else.

Yes, it's very scary and much easier to just not try, even if that means being basically friendless.
Lame, yes, but safe.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
The making myself emotionally vulnerable part keeps me away from pretty much every girl. I weigh their impact on me before I do anything. If I feel threatened by their presence at all, I stand aside. That's why I've never found anyone.