User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    LoLz

Default What kind of math were you better at?

I'm finishing up a pre-req algebra course, and even though I'm not doing the next level next semester, I'm wondering what kinds of math SJs are oriented to.

We're ending this course on quadratic equations and parabolas. The easiest thing for me in this class was literal equations.

These kinds of equations: Solving Literal Equations

Those are insanely easy to me, and I love doing them. I felt like that was the best way for me to learn each concept. The idea of what we were learning each unit really sank in after doing those literal equations.

I like most (maybe all) kinds of math-including solving literal equations. I generally like the more advanced concepts, and don't like doing the same math over and over again.

Still, I am not sure what type of math SJs would like.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    LoLz

SJs only, sir!

MBTI
    ISFJ

i was freakin amazing at geometry

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I don't know about anything beyond calculus but I liked Math because it was straight forward. There is no guess-work or fluff to worry about. There is only one answer and [usually] only one way to get there. You either know how to do it or you don't.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

I think SJs can be good at math in school because it requires a lot of practice to be good. Most people lack the patience to be good.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    I think SJs can be good at math in school because it requires a lot of practice to be good. Most people lack the patience to be good.
    Yes. I do exceptionally well with rote learning, despite the fact that it's not interesting to me.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Oh boy, I could write a ton about this...I'll keep it short, though.

Yeah, Raz, that seems like the stuff that's easiest for me. (hope you did well this semester)

The stuff that's hardest for me in math/science classes is translating a situation into equations. This means that I'm usually stuck right at the beginning of the problem. If I could set up the equations, variables, numbers, etc. that they want, I would be fine from there.

Probably the hardest class I've ever taken had tests where we mostly had to derive equations from other known equations. So they'd start with small Formula A and small Formula B with a certain Set of Conditions, then told us to use those and prove that long Equation Z was true. I did horribly trying to come up with these answers, though when the teacher showed us the answers later, it was always obvious, with lots of these:

In that class, I once took a test where I got one problem completely correct, and hardly got any points from any other problems. The teacher said pretty much everyone struggled with the problem that I actually got...which was pretty much a literal equation, with a few tricks we had to remember. And I'd studied that part of the chapter, so I remembered what to do.

But looking back, I've noticed that I often don't fully master and understand why I'm doing a certain math technique until I've done it plenty of times before. It can take years to sink in fully. And it happens over time--I just get used to doing it--so before I realize it, that thing that was "way too hard" becomes almost like reflex.

You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    IsfJ

Calculus was probably my strongest section...

MBTI
    LoLz

Yeah, Cimarron, I absolutely HATE translating problems into equations. I always get stuck on them. It's likely a Sensor thing.