User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    Yeah, Cimarron, I absolutely HATE translating problems into equations. I always get stuck on them. It's likely a Sensor thing.
    Translation takes place from one ended process (=formula) to another.
    Otherwise it would not be called a translation.
    Would it?

The rudiment does not translate.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Yeah, Cimarron, I absolutely HATE translating problems into equations.
    I figured maybe you were saying Literal Equations were kind of the opposite of that. ...? Though you took the positive view, and I took the negative view.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    LoLz

I was talking about word problems. They're my worst enemy.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Maths has been my weakness probably since moving into higher education. At school it wasn't too bad but when it went beyond A-level standard in some elements of my degrees I struggled initially. Took a dislike to any computer programming as a result. I found some algebra and set theory quite difficult.... although something did eventually click and I got the set theory! I can do basic maths but don't have natural afinity to it.

I failed an accounting module in my masters degree, had to resit it in order to gain the full degree award.... I got 28% overall in the failed attempt, retook it and got 73% ... 79% in the exam!

I did it by revising the likely questions that were going to come up over and over again. Gained a slight understanding about what the maths was about but essentially only really learned how to do the calculations in order to pass... no real interest otherwise.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Yeah, Cimarron, I absolutely HATE translating problems into equations. I always get stuck on them. It's likely a Sensor thing.
    I would say you're right on the money. I've been talking with a girl I've been trying to type for a while, and have come to the conclusion that she is an S, mostly based on her expressed love for math, and preference for it over writing because it is more straight forward; you do the problems, and you get a certain answer. Writing, however, takes more effort for her and is of course much less linear. I, on the other hand, prefer writing as it is easier for me and less monotonous and tedious.

It also doesn't surprise me that while the sensors love math, some of you seem to dislike word problems. With word problems, you go outside the realm of the linear mathematics that appeal to you, and into the realm of applied mathematics where you have to relate mathematical principles to real life situations and make intuitive leaps about what mathematical solutions fit the real world problem. As I am an N, I generally have no problem doing this as long as I understand the underlying mathematics sufficiently. I can see how it can be a problem for an S.

I would also note that since I can pretty much guarantee she's a sensor, I'd also tie that in with her sluggishness to pick up the abstract and tangential paths of conversation that intuitive types are so adept at taking. I usually have to be very direct and concrete in how I speak to her, or else I tend to lose her where other seemingly N types would have no problem following.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I would say you're right on the money. I've been talking with a girl I've been trying to type for a while, and have come to the conclusion that she is an S, mostly based on her expressed love for math, and preference for it over writing because it is more straight forward; you do the problems, and you get a certain answer. Writing, however, takes more effort for her and is of course much less linear. I, on the other hand, prefer writing as it is easier for me and less monotonous and tedious.
    I don't think it's that definitive, unless you mean "creative writing." I'm fine with either words or numbers. Tough to think of which I'd prefer more.

Quote Originally Posted by Risen
    ...make intuitive leaps...
    And that is of course, word for word, a phrase my professors often use.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    LoLz

I prefer playing with my spreadsheets. Like, in between classes earlier, I was using receipts to figure out how much the balance on my credit card was going to be after returns and purchases so I could go pay it off. I'm not good to do other people's bills though, because I'm incapable of factoring in the "variety" aspect of living. My philosophy is, if something works, keep doing it! Yeah...that's why ISTJ's are so routine-oriented.

I can understand the writing thing though. I never did well at creative writing. Trying to think of something out of thin air to write is just near impossible. Recalling things to explain or tell a story about something I know about first hand, well, that's another story.

During this whole semester, I saw a lot of people taking notes in the class. I tried that the first few days and then stopped. I go into every class, sit there and watch the teacher go through everything as she explains it, and just remember what she's doing. If I have to take the time to write down what she's doing, I'm just going to be copying her work, and I'll spend more effort copying than I will actually understanding what she's doing as she does it. If I don't understand something when I go do the homework....that's what the book is for. I just can't focus on notes and what the teacher is doing at the same time.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Laplace
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Probability is my favorite.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ISXJ

Of all the math classes, trig/analysis/pre calc were my favorites. I never particularly cared much for algebra, but did well in geometry.

As a slight tangent in response to Risen's post, I enjoy writing very much, although it does depend on the type of writing it is. If it's academic writing, no problem. I would imagine that the S/N divide would be more prominent in creative writing. When I think back, much of my creative writing was based on my own life or actual experiences I have had or have heard of/seen...just manipulated a little.

Also, as for word problems, I do think the ability to make those connections to the world does depend somewhat on the way you were taught. If one is merely taught skills in isolation without being given some real-world application or practice, then most people are not likely to make those connections on their own. However, if practicality and real-world application are integrated naturally as part of the learning process then I think it makes it easier for all to make those connections. I do suppose though, that Ns would make those connections more naturally and independantly than Ss though if left on their own.