• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJ's - What type are your parents?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
And how have you gotten along with them through the years? What kind of friendship do you have (if any) with your parents?

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My mom had a huge Feeler influence on me. She and I (ISFJ and ISTJ) have always agreed on a lot of stuff and really understood each other, but we have different ways of handling things. Learning compromise over my teenage years was something I'm thankful for.

My dad and I (both ISTJs) have always gotten along fine. We just never have much to talk about together. We try to find common interests, because we want to talk to each other, but it doesn't happen on its own.

My family all seems pretty close in personality...very STJ atmosphere. It ending up coincidentally like that makes me wonder if I'm guessing the wrong type, which I may be. But we're all pretty quiet, and conversation is still sometimes awkward.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
My mother is an ESFJ. My father is an INTJ. They've been together for over 30 years and still love each other, but have their constant share of arguments. I think the main problem is the thinker vs. feeler difference in their relationship.

Because I'm so close to my father's type, his interest in computers affected me a lot. I had no choice but to become addicted to them. We get along pretty well. I don't really see much of an issue. The only thing really that I can tell with him is that he gets wayyyy too technical when explaining things, and I'm like, do you not notice that you need to simplify what you're saying for them to understand it?

I remember once when he was showing me how to use Excel for the first time. I made this great budget spreadsheet and I was so proud. It did everything I wanted it to. He looked at it and the first thing he did was start making aesthetic changes. I started telling him, "It's for me, it does what I want it to, why does it have to look pretty?" and he just says, "If you make spreadsheets for other people, they have to be able to understand it." He was more concerned about the spreadsheet being user-friendly and I was mainly concerned about functionality.

My mother is a completely different story. She's always telling me to not worry so much about the future, and that I'm way too rigid. It's hard to bring her anywhere without her talking to EVERYONE. I'm like, is it possible that any random stranger can instantly become your best friend? She's not afraid to walk up to anyone! She's too loud and emotional for me.

I get along fine with my parents. It's just the normal type differences that get in the way. My father's on a different level perception wise and my mother is all about making everything nice and cozy.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What type are your parents, Beat?

Mine are ISTJ -Dad, and ESFJ -Mom.

My siblings are:

Sister - ESFJ
Brother - ESTP
Sister - ESFP

*Sigh* I wish I had more N's in my life. I don't think I know any in real life. :sadbanana:

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
N's make me feel dumb and inadequate, yet they intrigue me enough to keep going back for more.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Even in person?

More so in person. It's like they're always 10 steps ahead of me and I can't keep up. It's mostly NTs, though. I had a friend in middle school that I'm really sure was an INTJ.

I'll always remember sitting at a computer desk with him while he was looking over some code for a quake 3 mod. He would read out the code and say some possibilities of what it was. Then he said to me, "You don't understand this, do you?" I didn't.

One guy in the forums that's an extravert said he feels stupid around introverts because they give off this, "haha, you depend on your external surroundings" vibe. I always feel less than N's for being so stuck in reality and prone to thinking in a linear fashion.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
N's make me feel dumb and inadequate, yet they intrigue me enough to keep going back for more.
LOLWTF?!?!?!?

You meant to say *NTs* make you feel dumb and inadequate, not Ns, didn't you? :newwink:

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
LOLWTF?!?!?!?

You meant to say *NTs* make you feel dumb and inadequate, not Ns, didn't you? :newwink:

I guess. NTs make me feel intellectually inferior. NFs are always trying to figure out what I'm feeling, which makes me feel vulnerable.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
What type are your parents, Beat?

Mine are ISTJ -Dad, and ESFJ -Mom.

My siblings are:

Sister - ESFJ
Brother - ESTP
Sister - ESFP

*Sigh* I wish I had more N's in my life. I don't think I know any in real life. :sadbanana:
For some reason I always assumed you were an only child. No idea why but I did... I have 3 siblings as well though :yes:. Both my parents are INFJ :shocking: but I like em a lot, so it's cool.

My sister (24)- xNFP
My bro (20) - ISFP
My bro (15) - Not sure but probably ENFJ or something... He may change a bit within the next few years. He reminds me a bit of myself when I was around his age.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Beat, you're an oldest child, too?

MBTI Enthusiast

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My mom is *also* an ESFJ and my dad is an INTP. They do not get along at all, obviously, but they stay together because they have become highly dependent on one another. I get along with both of my parents quite well. Its nice to have all aspects of personality represented within your parents. If I want to travel with an extravert who is sure to keep up the conversation the whole time, I travel with my mom. But if I want to have a more quiet ride, I travel with my dad. If I want to hear the meaning of life, my dad is there, but if I want to give a detailed story, I tell my mom. You get the idea. They do argue a ton, though. However, I'm a thinker, so I feel like I can take the arguing better than my sister, an INFP.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For some reason I always assumed you were an only child. No idea why but I did... I have 3 siblings as well though :yes:. Both my parents are INFJ :shocking: but I like em a lot, so it's cool.

My sister (24)- xNFP
My bro (20) - ISFP
My bro (15) - Not sure but probably ENFJ or something... He may change a bit within the next few years. He reminds me a bit of myself when I was around his age.

What made you think I was an only child? I am the youngest of my siblings and I also grew up around a lot of older and younger cousins too. There was always a lot of people and children in my house growing up. We have a close family.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Beat, you're an oldest child, too?
Nope, my sister is a couple of years older.

Hmm: I think maybe just because I haven't seen you talk about any siblings. I wouldn't have put money on you having no siblings, just kind of figured it.

How do you get along with them?

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ
And how have you gotten along with them through the years? What kind of friendship do you have (if any) with your parents?

Mom - xSFP. She's bipolar/manic-depressive.

Dad - (sober) INFP, (drunk) ESTJ. He's a career alcoholic.

Brother 19 (EvanTheClown) - ENFP. Kicks ass!
Me 22 - ISTJ (I find it interesting that even though we received the same upbringing we are opposite types, lol)

I'm on good terms with both of my parents, but we have never been very close. Evan and I live with our grandparents while we're going to college. Our parents are your typical divorced, negligent, substance-abusing parents...so, in reality, our grandparents raised us.

Grandmother - ESFJ.

Grandfather - IxTJ

I can tolerate my mom for far longer than Dad, but they're equally annoying. We don't seek their company 9/10 of the time.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
I'm not 100% sure on my parents. If I had to guess, my dad would be an EXTJ, and my mom would be an INFP. I get along fine with my dad and can coexist with him rather easily so long as he respects my space. My mom, on the other hand, is much harder for me to naturally get along with. We are almost complete oposites on everything...in my mind, a lot of the things she does are completely irrational and impractical.

I have 3 siblings as well...all younger.
Brother - likely XNFP
Brother - likely ESTP
Sister - likely ISTJ

G

Glycerine

haha, that's so ironic. Sometimes I am very envious of sensor types. (In fact, I kept testing as a sensor). Most are so aware of their surroundings and they tend to be very detail-oriented. When I try to do that, my head feels like it's going to blow offbut those are some awesome traits. Without sensors, there would total chaos! :D

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Mom is INTP and Dad is an ESFJ. I am on good terms with both, though I am much closer to my mother. I butt heads often with my father, sometimes I get him going just because I think it's funny, but he is one of the people I most respect. He seems to favor my two sisters during arguments as he almost laways sides with them, but I think he's just trying to teach me that you don't always get what you deserve even if you're right. My disagreements sometimes get very heated as I persist with calm sarcastic cuts and he yells in fierce anger and frustration. One time he even went as far as to call me a "waste of a seed." I laugh at our arguments, especially since I handle conflict pretty well, while he is quite easily upset. It is clear that I am like the golden boy of the family, especially to my grandparents, as I embrace the values of Baby Boomers' parents, and I fit the stereotype of a boy scout. I am much more intense in focus than all of my relatives of my generration. They say I am so young (19) but so old. My two sisters are probably ISFP(older) and ENFP. I get along well with them, though I look out for them more than they know.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
My whole family (including all of my extended family except 2 of my cousins) is Exxx. How fortunate I feel (yes, that was sarcasm) We get along quite well suprisingly. Sure, we have our disagreements, but they tend to bring the best (and sometimes worst) out of me. We don't argue often, and when we do, we tend to change the subject or walk away and take the "I don't care attitude". We love eachother as a family nonetheless.

They call me an old man or "too mature" , (but I am only in my early 20's) and now a days my sister tends to call me scrooge (my expressions don't exactly show how "full of good cheer" I am this holiday season) Usually I act that way on purpose just to annoy her. But it's all just for fun and sarcasm has always been a good root for my siblings and I.

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Dad - INFP
Mom - INTJ

Interestingly, I am surrounded by INTJs on both sides of the family, although they are supposed to be very rare. I tend to get along really well with INTJs and usually when I click with a new person really well it turns out they are INTJ.