• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Independence on decisions, an SJ thing?

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
This crossed my mind today when I was at work. I was helping a coworker with a problem with a customer. I had a clear solution in my head and was instructing her on what to do. At one point, it got too confusing for her that she called a manager. I just walked away, but it reminded me of how much I hate having to call a manager to do things for me.

In both jobs I've had, I've gotten in trouble for trying to take matters into my own hands when I had an escalated problem with a customer. It's just, a lot of problems, I can solve on my own if I just had the same accessibility and options that the managers do. Frequently I run into issues that it just feels like the manager actually over-complicates a simple solution.

I just really think to myself, "If I had the same knowledge and tools that the manager had, I could do a good portion of their job better than them." Do others think like that at times? I'm not trying to put them down. It's mostly when it deals with a technical matter, which is where I excel.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Kind of, but not often. I've had very few jobs in my life so far, but I pretty much never mess with the boss's ideas. I work to find the most efficient way of doing things within the boss's parameters. The most I would do is ask about something that seems to be inefficient, basically asking the boss to explain again how to do a task. Maybe my hope was that in repeating it, he would find the same flaw I did.

More often, I felt this way with teachers, probably. And I almost never changed their guidelines without telling them. Again, what I did was bring up the question of "couldn't we do it better this way?", usually more confidently and openly than in the workplace scenario.

So I guess I've kind of felt like that, but I hardly ever got pushy about it. It's a little tougher to hold in criticism when I'm in a bad mood. I know when I'm in a bad mood, criticism is my weapon of choice. Not very nice... :(

As to your Title, I really like my independence in making decisions. I like input, but I may or may not use it, and ultimately I want to make the decision myself (if it affects me). But that doesn't seem very closely related to your OP.

Last edited:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Out of curiosity from an NT, what actions do you take when you're in a situation like that? When you feel that your boss is inefficient and you can probably do a better job in the same position? Do nothing and just let it go? Make quiet suggestions? Something else?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
You cannot gain anything by actively plotting against someone. If they are incompetent, let them know that they need to do things differently. If they run afoul of ethical considerations, surface it to their supervisor in a logical, impersonal manner. If they are simply inefficient, be sure that you have the position to criticize and then let them know that you think their conduct should be improved.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Out of curiosity from an NT, what actions do you take when you're in a situation like that? When you feel that your boss is inefficient and you can probably do a better job in the same position? Do nothing and just let it go? Make quiet suggestions? Something else?

Usually I just don't have the say in what they do.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh yeah, and with co-workers, I'm a lot more prepared to question the way they're doing things. They present me with the way they've been doing it for a while, and I may present an improvement. I almost always do it as a question, "Wouldn't it be....?" But they usually don't take well to that. And usually I cave in and do their way, then remember it for later if things go wrong. They usually don't go wrong, usually I'm just a slow worker.

But there are plenty of times when I just keep my ideas of improvement in my head. I doubt myself, I usually give others the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Sure, I have independence on decisions and thoughts, but that does not necessarily mean that I act on them. In my experiences, I respect my manager on the outside even if I think they are ridiculous because I have to remember that they are the boss for a reason, so as their employee, it is my duty to respect them and do things in the way they want done. If I disagree strongly enough with their methods, it is my within my control to quit.

If I really feel they are incompetent, then that's fine. They can take the heat and reap the downfalls of having that responsibility on them, and not being prepared for it. (i.e. the customer yells at the manager instead of yelling at me).

I watch the mistakes they make, learn from the situation, think about what I would've done differently, and move on with my life. If they ask my opinion or confide in me, I will openly tell them what I think. (**Note, this depends on if I legitimately like my manager as a person and if I see they are trying to do a good job rather than just being a manipulative pain)...if not (or if I feel like they will take credit for my ideas), I'll likely keep my thoughts to myself.

At the point where I am simply a peon within the company and it is not my personal responsibility to take charge of whatever type of problem is going on, I just go with the flow and follow protocol. It's not worth it trying to "buck the system" or be a hero because then you'll be seen as an irresponsible insubordinate. Or, if you are successful, your incompetent manager will likely heap more responsibility on you without any of the extra benefits...which just makes you a doormat (happened to me once, I learned from the situation).

Instead, I learn to do my given job as efficiently as possible, keep a positive attitude, and my work usually speaks for itself. Eventually, my work gets recognized, and I move up in the world.

With that said, sure there are times you can jump in and be your natural "problem-solving" self to show your stuff, but pick your battles wisely. Don't become a doormat, and don't become a hot-head.