User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: The older I get

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default The older I get

The more quiet and shy I become. Why is this? I thought the opposite is supposed to happen.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Maybe you are collecting up too many things. Too many connections, obligations, reputations, negative experiences, etc.. And it's all starting to bare down on you in a way that makes you want to withdraw more and more.

I came up with that suggestion completely off the top of my head, by the way, so don't take it as sagely advice.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Possibly.

I also am interested in learning more. And there seems to be so much to learn.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    The more quiet and shy I become. Why is this? I thought the opposite is supposed to happen.
    I can relate to the OP. Having been generally avoidant of people as much as possible, I haven't become "more" shy, but I definitely have become more quiet. I can relate to so little (and so few) in today's world, that there really isn't much for me to say.
    ...doesn't work or play well with others...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

You would have to explain much more about what you're like now, what your environment is like, what in life makes you unsettled, etc., in order to come up with some strong possibilities.

Going by type alone, the whole bent of ISxJ (especially ISFJ, and double it seems especially when it's an ISFJ mom with kids) is to build a comfortable safe "nest" with an environment that can be controlled, and then live there, extending outwards when necessary into a more chaotic world. Once ISxJ people get that world built and get into a routine, they often have seemed happy just staying there and the need for engagement lessens.

If you are feeling bad or lonely or whatever else, though, and yet still feel powerless to reach outside that small "pocket world," then maybe there's something to examine more closely and then figure out ways to stretch.

I was extremely shy to the point of neurosis growing up; but the more I could accept myself and feel confident in my abilities to interact, the more I found myself doing it and enjoying it... although now I do find myself feeling exhausted by the interactions and still needing to retreat and be alone to recuperate.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It isn't quite that simple, actually. There are several reasons why this could be happening:

1. You felt some kind of pressure to engage more than you were comfortable with earlier in life, and you're just now sliding into a more natural level.

2. You've developed Si and Fe sufficiently, and now you're going through your Ti phase.

3. You've been experiencing increasing stress as you get older, and this results in a greater need to withdraw.

4. You've had negative experiences with interaction over time that have gradually disinclined you to engage in it.

5. Your energy levels have been decreasing with age, and you need more time to recharge than you did when younger.

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

maturity at its true level for an introverted person maybe?

is extroversion slightly more taxing now as compared to before mainly cause you're more aware of things?
    Possibly.

I also am interested in learning more. And there seems to be so much to learn.
    greater awareness leading to the need to know more because the more one learns the more one knows how lil one knows?

also, if you're a balanced ISFJ, and more sure that you're basically an introvert, then you're closer to knowing what an INTP might be like. Just something I've become slightly more aware of given maturity and awareness of the complimentary side of oneself.. maybe just maybe.

Also, this thread's title itself seems to indicate that its inspiration is based in sensory perception and feelings based judgment (both relatively speaking, are concrete and immediately known). Happiness is accompanied by sadness whereas the momentary feeling of joy isn't the long lasting presence of happiness.. its an in the moment exhilarating feeling. Knowing what happiness truly is, is a function of maturity and is definitely not what joy seems to be.
    Last edited by Kaizer; 11-28-2008 at 03:00 AM.
    The answer must be in the attempt
    avy url : natgeocreative Photo

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I think you're just not as "reactive" as you were when you were younger and inexperienced. For me, it was the opposite in many ways. I spent a great deal of my time clammed up and standing against the wall, with outbursts of stunning force. Now, I'm not so up-down because I've learned a few things and no longer go off like a roman candle as much.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

I don't know why, but it's happening to me, too. And I was pretty shy to begin with. Does it feel like you used to fight against it and now you don't care anymore?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Do you think it could be a natural pullback from the bombardment of the world? Demands of adverts, phone calls, pages, emails, etc. Exhaustion?
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious