User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Daydreams

MBTI
    ISTJ

Default Daydreams

Do any of you SJ's daydream much? I've always felt I spent too much time doing it. I notice I do it quite a bit when I'm talking with people. If something they say doesn't seem like it's going to be that important, I usually just zone out the rest of the conversation. When there's a pause in their talking, I'll nod my head or say "really?" or something like that. They never seem to notice I'm not paying attention. It's sort of like when you're watching your favorite show on TV, and somebody's trying to tell you something, but you don't really want to talk because you're trying to watch so you say "uh-huh" to whatever they say. I also daydream about dumb stuff like having superpowers, time travelling, or "what if" scenarios. I do that a lot, is it normal? Do I do this to avoid reality, or am I just 'special'?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

lol You sounded like an INTJ.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Hmm, I think people have a tendency to daydream when they are bored.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I've always daydreamed a lot! People think this is something that SJs don't do, for whatever reason. I don't daydream much when I'm talking to someone one on one, though. Maybe because when I really don't want to talk to someone and I don't have to be there, I'm already focused on trying to get out of the conversation and leave.

But I daydream about lots of "what if" scenarios, usually pretend conversations. Sometimes about if I were in a touring rock band, or were a professor, or a politician. It's hard to think about them now, after the fact.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-24-2008 at 11:41 PM. Reason: clarity
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

You seem to be my clone. That's exactly what I do.

MBTI
    ISTP

The ISTJ’s I know, at least, tend to spend any time they’re not actively doing something in at least a partial daydreaming state. I get ignored often if I start talking to one and they’re so out of it that they don’t even hear me. I tend to notice when my questions are met with silence.

On another note, despite not being a SJ I find I tend to daydream a lot. I do it when I’m bored or when I’m supposed to be trying to get to sleep (i.e. I’m bored). I daydream about all sorts of things. I’ll go over events in my head and replay or play around with them (the ‘what if’ scenarios), I’ll think about conversations, both past and potential or I’ll go off on weird tangents like the superpowers thing or devising potential arguments for both sides of the ‘what came first: the chicken or the egg’ debate.

Why would people assume that anyone wouldn’t daydream? Is it because daydreaming is seen as less concrete and therefore not the domain of sensors? Or do people associate daydreaming with purely abstract and/or fantastical ideas that sensors would be less likely to think about?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Pancreas View Post
    Why would people assume that anyone wouldn’t daydream? Is it because daydreaming is seen as less concrete and therefore not the domain of sensors? Or do people associate daydreaming with purely abstract and/or fantastical ideas that sensors would be less likely to think about?
    I mean that people say we don't daydream as much, because it deals with more abstract things, I guess. For example, I don't daydream about superheroes, or magical things like wizards or fairies. Though when I was a kid, I did pretend I was different kinds of dinosaurs and act it out, or different mythological characters interacting with the others. When I was 6 or 7 years old.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISTx

I'm ADD but I also daydream often.

MBTI
    LoLz

I find myself asking people, "Wait, what did you just say?" a lot.

MBTI
    ISTJ

I'm rarely able to keep up in certain conversations because of daydreaming combined with sucking at multi-tasking.

I'll get caught up in the daydream (or task) and not hear what anyone is saying around me.

I like it, but it annoys them pretty well.

My daydreams consist of changes in perspective, fantasy worlds (I am a Dungeon Master), and verifying my logic process, lol. And more.
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
    --Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

Nothing is worse than active ignorance.
    --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    --Isaac Asimov