User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default SJs, your relationship with your boss

To the SJs:

How is your relationship with your boss? If your boss is the kind that hardly ever interacts with employees, what do you think of him anyway, your perception of him? (I know the boss can be a female, I just get annoyed with those slashes in pronouns.)

If you don't have one right now, you can talk about a boss from a past job.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-23-2008 at 09:02 AM. Reason: covering other circumstances
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    LoLz

Well, I work in a department store in the men's department. My tasks basically are:

- Ring up customers
    - Put up new stock
    - Help customers find clothes
    - Straighten the department

I've been trying to figure out my boss' type for a few weeks now. She's very strict on everyone in the store. However, when she's with me, I tend to notice that she constantly tells me things that I could've easily done, or starts on one project, then while working on it, finds something else that needs to be done. She was telling me she had a problem before where she couldn't focus on one thing at a time. Her attitude toward her job and the people she manages suggests J, but when I watch how she maneuvers herself, I think P.

For example, we have a sock sale that just started, so we had to get the department ready for it. I spent probably 3-4 hours with her yesterday trying to get things set up. I kept asking her questions about it, she would say random things, and I had no idea if she was thinking out loud or giving me an order. When we tried working one part of it, she went near an area that needed to be worked on, and started cleaning up that area instead of the project her and I were working on. I was like, "WTF."

I ended up emptying our stockroom of extra socks a half hour before I left, and I barely got anything done that day because I was constantly following her. I got the feeling I was moving and thinking faster than her. I just didn't want to do things on my own without her consent. It was really busy yesterday, though, so she could've been really busy.

One of the major problems is with putting up new stock. I look at it, then look where it has to go, and I say, "That doesn't look like it can really fit there, what should we do?" To which she just says frequently, "Just try it! You have to make it work! Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do." The way I do things is I look at it with my eyes, and try to guesstimate on how plausible it is. She just tries anyway.

She's definitely an extravert, because when I'm working on something with her, it bothers her SO much if I'm quiet. She'll start asking me if she's offended me or the obligatory, "what's wrong?" She can be strict a lot of times, to the point that I feel like she's so cold. There's definitely no Fe going on at all with her. My store manager, however, is all about Fe. His motto is, "Just do what makes the customer happy."

She constantly places demands on me to do things, and doesn't understand why I don't really do it. A lot of things they ask us to do, I just feel stupid doing. If I were an Extraverted Feeler, it'd be a lot easier, but I'm not. I think I'm like a challenge to her, though. She knows very well that we don't get along, and is constantly reaffirming our "conflicts."

For instance, the other night, I had a box of gift boxes I was going to restock at my counter. I looked at them and thought it wasn't worth it to open two new boxes, so I'd carry both of them back to the back. On the way back, I stopped at another counter to rest for a second, which was when she saw me holding two big boxes at a counter that wasn't mine. Her first reaction was, "You better not be leaving those boxes at that counter!" I told her no, and just kept walking to the back.

When I saw her next, even though I shouldn't have, I said, "I'm glad you think so highly of me that you expect the worst." Her response was probably a Sensor response. It just annoyed me. She said, "That was just what I saw. You don't have to do all you do with your bad attitude, though." I left her and went to clock out, and a minute later, she came over to me, and apologized, saying, "I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions like that and saying what I did about your bad attitude, but I was talking about what I saw."

Actually, now that I've written this expository, I'm thinking she's ESFP.

MBTI
    INFJ

"Im glad you think so highly of me that you expect the worst"

Priceless x-)... and the way you tell these examples is very funny.

MBTI
    ISTx

I've got a boss that I contend with unfortunately (female, possibly ENTJ) and I have a higher boss that I'm fine with (female, possibly ISTJ).

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    To the SJs:

How is your relationship with your boss? If your boss is the kind that hardly ever interacts with employees, what do you think of him anyway, your perception of him? (I know the boss can be a female, I just get annoyed with those slashes in pronouns.)

I don't interact with my boss that much and it's really nice. It allows me lots of independence and freedom. But I work for a small company so I don't have to go through the usual reviews just for the sake of reviewing like you have to in larger companies.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    I don't interact with my boss that much and it's really nice. It allows me lots of independence and freedom. But I work for a small company so I don't have to go through the usual reviews just for the sake of reviewing like you have to in larger companies.
    What if you had to interact with your boss more? Would you mind, or would there be some clashes?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

garbage

I work at a small research center, directly beneath the director of the center. He's also my Ph.D. advisor and heads up two of the projects that I work on.

My boss is definitely a more technically-oriented worker who embodies routine, perfectionism, day-to-day operations, and focusing on one task at a time. He also doesn't interact with his employees much beyond an "as-needed" level, leaving them to their own devices but sometimes discouraging those who won't pipe up about their own needs. Contrast him to his "right-hand man" who is very outgoing and friendly, but worries way, way too much about the future. Staff meetings where my boss isn't present usually devolve into talking about some crisis that will doom our research center three years in the future, and ones without the right-hand man get heavy into project details when such detail is probably unnecessary. I constantly have to remind them both that their differing viewpoints keep each other in check.

Working directly for my boss, my need for feedback and direction used to leave me discouraged, as I never felt like I was appreciated.. when it should have been clear that exactly the opposite was true. It was just that he didn't express it outright, but it definitely showed in the eventual clout that I was able to have. This can be applied to other ways in which I deal with him--for example, when I need a question answered, I either do so through email so that he can answer it on his own time if he's deeply-entrenched in some task, or I come into his office and wait for him to "spin down" before I ask my question.

When I got to understanding his own mentality, working with him became much easier. I find that this is true of most anyone I come across in the working environment. One project that I was on involved working with some more extroverted and less focused types, which used to bother me until I observed that they wanted more of a personal connection (during meetings and through email and phone conversations) and actually appreciated being brought back to task when their trains of thought wandered off. When I began to think about how they might be feeling, I could connect with them easier and get more out of them without conflict.

I spoke about how two diametrically-opposed viewpoints keep each other in check. I find myself more balanced in certain ways (for good and for bad) than either of them, so when I work directly with one of them, I'm usually the one to keep them in check to some degree. Actually, depending on who I work with, I'm probably deemed either a perfectionist or a corner-cutter, a forward-thinker or a "live for the moment" kind of guy, etc. ..

I'm one who greatly values flexibility and independence in my work, and so I could probably not deal well with an employer who constantly needed to keep tabs on his employees.. which, unfortunately, can be pretty common in the engineering world. I realize that other people might need structure and guidance to a greater degree than I do, but I can't help but feel that it would be a lack of trust in me as a professional--and a waste of time--if my boss consistently asked me for progress reports.

MBTI
    ISTJ

To the SJs:

I get along with my boss well. My guess is that she is an ENFP. She is always very nice to me BUT, when you get on her bad side- lookout! I only know this because I am "second in command" and when people under me don't do what they are supposed to, guess who gets chewed out for it!
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

What if you had to interact with your boss more? Would you mind, or would there be some clashes?
    Well, I have a great boss now so, no, but I've had sucky bosses in the past and I still did what I was told even if I didn't like it because, well... I was supposed to. It's what I was hired for.

MBTI
    ISTJ

I have two bosses. One is middle aged and I don't typically see him very much. The other day, I was in his office, and he tried to make me do some task that was pointless and boring, and I got into an awful argument with him about doing it. I got into trouble for being insubordinate.

My other boss is a male NF of some sort, and I like him a person but I have a couple of gripes about him. One, he asks me about my personal life which I don't like sharing with coworkers. (He asked me the other day how my love life was and what I wanted to say to him was "None of your g******ed business!").

The other thing is that I have to work closely with him on certain tasks, and he doesn't give me enough directions. Him being a big picture person, he just assumes that I am ok with little direction... but I prefer to know what I am getting into!