• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJ Personality Traits

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hi, I'm curious to know if I'm unique or just another personality type. I don't know any other ISTJs, so maybe ya'll can help me. Are the following traits unique to me, or do they apply to all ISTJ's?

Learn best by seeing and doing - I've got to see it in action before it will sync in.
Excellent analytical thinker - Troubleshooting is child's play.
Dry/Sarcastic humor - Constantly joking to avoid real conversations.
Great awareness - Usually I know what's going on when no one else does.
Can only focus on one thing at a time - I can't juggle tasks (or balls for that matter).
Extremely private - Leave me alone, I'll let you in when I'm ready.
Poker face always present - It's not intentional, showing emotion doesn't come naturally to me.
Socially retarded - My jaw gets tired if I talk for more than a couple of minutes.
Very observant - I can remember lots of details, but I can't ever remember names.
Easily annoyed - I don't want to hear about what you watched last night.
Take everything literally - I know you were trying to make a joke, but that is unrealistic. Seriously.
Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions - I'm the king of turnovers in sports, but I'm good at chess.
Procrastinates - Why do it now, it can be done later.
Selfish - Helping others is an energy drain.
No style - I put no thought into what I wear. Usually I wear gray to avoid standing out.
Hate cleaning - Why make your bed, you just got to do it again tomorrow. A total waist of time.
Health conscientious - Would probably get really depressed if I let myself go.

I'm interested to know if there are other hermits like me out there. If you ISTJ's got some traits to add, post them. I'd like to compare.

I fully agree with Scrooge- I mean, Fishingdude, sorry!:D - except on a couple things:

1) I really do enjoy helping people- even in the smallest ways (but you have to make sure your not being taken advantage of)

2) I have a fairly good sense of humor, I just don't use it much (the poker face is always on!) ;)

3) As far as style, I don't really care, but usually I have a bad habit of picking out dull colors- oh, AND I have definitley been scolded more than once for not "matching" :cheese:

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Manipulation definitely isn't one of my traits. I need to work on it. My ESFJ sister asked me to help get on Facebook. I showed her a little, but she never created user name. Tonight, I jokingly told her, "You apparently weren't social enough to get us invited to a Thanksgiving party. That's what I get for using you through Facebook!" I think she took that too seriously. ><

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Learn best by seeing and doing – Absolutely. It’s called learning from hands on experience. I guess Si dominant types can do it, but I have heard it referenced to Se/Ne types mostly. Contrary to belief Ti combined with Se/Ne must have this because their holistic and body based.
Excellent analytical thinker - Troubleshooting is what I do and that comes from the combo of Ti-Se.
Dry/Sarcastic humor – Absolutely. In fact my sarcasm can really offend others.
Great awareness – This is Se(and as I learned today from Sarah) combined with Ni.
Can only focus on one thing at a time – There is a difference in multitasking and wanting to at least complete a big portion of something before moving on. Again people who still see type in rudimentary principles do not realize that Se dominant types (ESP) need organization as well. This again is Se from my understanding.
Extremely private – A given.
Poker face always present - This is the first of your examples that does not fit me completely. I can be poker face, but I don’t try to hide my enthusiasm when highly interested in a topic.
Socially retarded – Does not fit me.
Very observant – Consider the phrase. Observant implies an extraverted activity, not introverted. It’s also something that sensing types in general does. This is again Se at it’s finest, unless something has your attention internally (ISPs).
Easily annoyed – Yep and again someone who uses Fe would be the opposite in my opinion so I think this could be a Ti trait.
Take everything literally – When using Ti too much and not allowing my Ni to support my Se (again thanks Sarah).
Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions – However as you gain more experience the errors improve unless you’re just bored out of your wits. Now your example of chess is definitely not my game.
Procrastinates – Not necessarily, however it can appear like procrastination to others when I am not sure of where we’re going or further information is needed (my Se is failing to feed my Ti)
Selfish – Now that is an ISTJ thing but they are not intentionally being selfish, just self absorbed and does not realize how they are affecting others. Oh yeah, personalitypage.com says that is a Ti thing (I’m in denial).
No style - I do have style, but I am wearing black and gray as I write this. It’s stylish, but I do not stand out. In fact I rarely wear bright colors.
Hate cleaning – Need my environment to look aesthetically presentable.
Health conscientious – I would say that is an ISTJ thing and a Guardian trait in general.
Heh...I'm sorta stuck between ISTP and ISTJ..which I've come to find out are very different personalities...but I got both. XD
Good, I wondered when someone would finally determine that what is being alluded to is less an ISTJ thing and more an IST thing. I fit about 95% of it.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
So many ISTJ procrastinators, I'm confused now. Aren't ISTJs supposed to procrastinate the least ?

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ
So many ISTJ procrastinators, I'm confused now. Aren't ISTJs supposed to procrastinate the least ?

No, we're just the most efficient with the time we do use. My thinking goes like this, "I can do X task now and I will over critique it to death (via perfectionism), or I could do it at the last minute, just as well, and it be satisfactory."

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
No, we're just the most efficient with the time we do use. My thinking goes like this, "I can do X task now and I will over critique it to death (via perfectionism), or I could do it at the last minute, just as well, and it be satisfactory."

I agree. We are good at time management. When it comes to tasks, we prioritize. If it is something we don't like or don't want to do, it is probably going to be the victim of procrastination. :cheese:

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Hi, I'm curious to know if I'm unique or just another personality type. I don't know any other ISTJs, so maybe ya'll can help me. Are the following traits unique to me, or do they apply to all ISTJ's?

I'll fill them in myself now:

Learn best by seeing and doing - Definitely me.

Excellent analytical thinker - Yeah, I always break things down in a simple manner, and analyze it from there. Why do it in a complicated way if you can keep it simple?

Dry/Sarcastic humor - I'm more a witty humor guy. Not so much dry sarcasm.

Great awareness - Eh, average.

Can only focus on one thing at a time - I can't multitask that well.

Extremely private - Yeah, I don't need a lot of interaction at all. I do need to move around sometimes though.

Poker face always present - I don't show much emotion.

Socially retarded - Yes, somewhat.

Very observant - I can remember details yes, but sometimes I miss things.

Easily annoyed - Sometimes. I usually don't want to listen to something just because someone is trying to make conversation.

Take everything literally - Yeah, usually.

Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions - I don't know about this one.

Procrastinates - I try not to, but I end up procrastinating a little.

Selfish - I'm naturally selfish, and have a "Survival of the Fittest" attitude.

No style - I don't really care what I wear, as long as it's comfortable enough.

Hate cleaning - I don't like to clean, but I know I should do it to get dust and stuff out.

Health conscientious - I always wash my hands before meals in order to not get germs.

Eh, ISTPs are very anti-authority, spontaneous, anti-structure, play before work, adventurous...that type of thing. Whereas the ISTJs are all structure, schedule, ..and etc.

I've somehow managed to fall imbetween the two... Probably because I was raised in a very structured atmosphere... So methinks I can switch between the two types depending on the situation...but I think that I tend to prefer the ISTP way more than the ISTJ when given the choice...

I know exactly what you mean, I'm the same way.

Last edited:

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Learn best by seeing and doing - Yes, this is absolutely true. That's why I'm having hard time with the math at university, since it isn't really applicable in practice.
Excellent analytical thinker - Yes, I think I'm rather good at this.
Dry/Sarcastic humor - I do joke a lot. I don't make a number of it, but I just keep telling funny remarks and twisting words people say. I also love putting sentences into a new context.
Great awareness - Well, I spend a lot of time watching how other people react at things. But generally I'm too introvert to notice everything.
Can only focus on one thing at a time - This only goes when I'm obsessed about something. For instance, if I've bought a TV-series DVD-box, I can spent the next 12 hours watching it, ignoring anything else around me. And generally I don't multitask very well. I can't chat with 3+ people at the same time.
Extremely private - Yes, that I am. I keep my inner self just for myself. Others can only see the "gray n' dull" shell.
Poker face always present - I have a feeling that I don't use facial expressions much when I'm having a conversation. They require extra concentration and effort.
Socially retarded - I don't talk to strangers. I can't really carry on a good conversation with more than 3 persons present. Lack of multi-tasking and being somewhat of a control freak about my personality requires too much time and effort.
Very observant - I pay a great amount of attention to details.
Easily annoyed - Only when there's something illogical going on, or I don't understand why something is done as it is done. Math is a great example. I hate it because I don't understand why they can't use ordinary characters and words instead of those cryptic greek/etc. characters.
Take everything literally - I used to, but I've got rid of it almost completely. But I still think sometimes that "see you later!" really means that. I don't understand people who say things that they don't mean.
Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions - Don't know. Not really.
Procrastinates - Yes, I do this often. Luckily, I seem to work greatly under stress. I can work 12-14 hours a day, if deadline is coming, while I have difficulty to even start working if there is no deadline.
Selfish - I don't actively help people, but I can share what I have if someone asks. I do favors for free, though...
No style - I'm not spending my money on cloths, but I try to choose cloths that fit me, and look lean. I try to avoid looking nerdy or dirty. I prefer earthly colors.
Hate cleaning - Yes. I don't clean, unless it's absolutely necessary. I always have more dirty dishes that clean ones.
Health conscientious - Well, I try to eat health as long as it's effortless. I hate cooking.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
This thread supports the hypothesis that ISTJ's are really under-developed INTJ's. (Muahahaa)

Learn best by seeing and doing – CHECK
Excellent analytical thinker - CHECK
Dry/Sarcastic humor – CHECK
Great awareness – OK NOT CHECK ON THIS ONE
Can only focus on one thing at a time – OR THIS ONE
Extremely private – CHECK
Poker face always present - CHECK
Socially retarded – CHECK
Very observant – NOT CHECK
Easily annoyed – CHECK
Take everything literally – CHECK
Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions – ... NOT CHECK
Procrastinates – CHECK
Selfish – CHECK
No style - CHECK
Hate cleaning – I think everyone hates cleaning...
Health conscientious – ... CHECK (... when it suits me.)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Ouch! You folks are pretty hard on your type. I see ISTJs being some of the most reliable, dependent and fun people to be around. But I do appreciate and respect the honest self-scrutiny.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Ouch! You folks are pretty hard on your type. I see ISTJs being some of the most reliable, dependent and fun people to be around. But I do appreciate and respect the honest self-scrutiny.

Yes, unfortunately if we fail at something we tend to be harder on ourselves than we should be. Not sure why?

As far as comedy goes, I think I have a better sense of humor than the average ISTJ. ;)

theplacesyoullgo

When I think ISTJ, I think:

Fiercely loyal
Naive
Great planners
Stoic/lack of emotional depth - doesn't like to show emotion
Supportive
Avoids any confrontation
Traditional - probably somewhat religious
Able to convince themselves of feeling a particular way to justify their actions to themselves

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
When I think ISTJ, I think:

Fiercely loyal
Naive
Great planners
Stoic/lack of emotional depth - doesn't like to show emotion
Supportive
Avoids any confrontation
Traditional - probably somewhat religious
Able to convince themselves of feeling a particular way to justify their actions to themselves

Hmm, agree with some, but not naive (I see us as being the realistic ones, hand in hand with being stoic), and personally I definitely don't avoid confrontation! Injustice, no matter how petty, pisses me right off. And I'm defensive (proving that here??)
Also, I'm not sure it's lack of emotional depth. We might not show our emotions, but that's more to do with thinking it's not 'proper' or 'right' to show emotions rather than anything else, imo. I cry on my own, when I can. It's sort of like if I see girls crying all the time, or getting totally overexcited, I wonder why they can't restrain themselves, like they're 'failing' by showing emotion. (I'm female, btw)

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
My responses to first post:

Learn best by seeing and doing - True, 'hands on' is best.
Excellent analytical thinker - Well, my school reports always used to have "She is very analytical" written on them, so probably.
Dry/Sarcastic humor - Yeah, and often black humour. Making a joke out of misfortune to lighten the situation.
Great awareness - In general. Not always though, like if there's a rumour/personal secret and I haven't been very social that week. I'm also not usually the person who people go to with personal problems (wonder why...heh) In terms of current affairs, definitely.
Can only focus on one thing at a time - Not convinced this is true. Perhaps this is where the male/female dichotomy comes into it.
Extremely private - Unless I want to let you know stuff, then it rushes out. Think it can be a bit confusing for people.
Poker face always present - The amount of times people have said to me "Cheer up" or "Are you okay?" when I'm content or happy is unbelievable. Apparently I look gormless when I'm thinking as well, which is annoying. I'd rather look like I was in deep thought.
Socially retarded - I need to mentally prepare myself, but then I can cope. I can't stand it when people ask me spontaneously if I want to come to a party with them, right now. The answer: No, you should have warned me about it yesterday.
Very observant - Yes. Probably because I'm usually on the outside circle of a social situation looking in, rather than being at the centre of it, all involved.
Easily annoyed - Yes, why can't people do things properly?? How did they come to that conclusion, which is *blatantly* false?
Take everything literally - I've been considered gullible because of this.
Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions - Not really sure actually. Maybe I don't like to admit when I make an error ;)
Procrastinates - Totally
Selfish - Don't like to admit it, but yeah
No style - Disagree. I'm not blessed with being hot and sexy, so I have to dress extra stylishly to be accepted on the same level. That's life.
Hate cleaning - God yes. Life's too short to dust, unless it becomes an extra layer!! No, seriously, I can cope with more clutter and mess than the average person but I clean more frequently when I'm living with other people.
Health conscientious - Um, maybe not. Although when I noticed I was putting on a bit of weight for the first time in my life in January I immediately set about planning a diet and exercise plan, so perhaps I am when necessary. I hate exercise, but mainly because it either involves being part of a team or looking sweaty and crap in front of people.

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ

Yeah, and I find that my best work is always that which I spend less time on! If I start too early I'm just going to waste all the time until it's due to be finished slaving away on it, and then keep going over it and needlessly changing it (probably making it worse).

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hmm, agree with some, but not naive (I see us as being the realistic ones, hand in hand with being stoic), and personally I definitely don't avoid confrontation! Injustice, no matter how petty, pisses me right off. And I'm defensive (proving that here??)
Also, I'm not sure it's lack of emotional depth. We might not show our emotions, but that's more to do with thinking it's not 'proper' or 'right' to show emotions rather than anything else, imo. I cry on my own, when I can. It's sort of like if I see girls crying all the time, or getting totally overexcited, I wonder why they can't restrain themselves, like they're 'failing' by showing emotion. (I'm female, btw)

I think maybe the naive means in regards to interpersonal. In that sense I totally agree with the naive!

Ditto about the emotions thing. It seems kind of, well, careless to let all sorts of people see your emotions so freely.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I've noticed that kind of "innocence" in my ISTJ. And, yes, about things he doesn't know much about. He tends to accept things at face value until he learns differently.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I think ISTJs who haven't had a lot of "life experience" tend to be naiive.

Well, wouldn't that go for anyone?

But I think the issue is actually ISTJs not having as many life experiences as other types, since they value peace and security over unknown adventures.

Also, we put reliability high on our list of priority, and sometimes make assumptions that others do as well. So we might trust people too easily.

And not to forget that we are driven by a need to serve, and might think that others are also willing to serve the common good. This would make us vulnerable for someone who's only after for a personal gain.