User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fishingdude View Post
    Hi, I'm curious to know if I'm unique or just another personality type. I don't know any other ISTJs, so maybe ya'll can help me. Are the following traits unique to me, or do they apply to all ISTJ's?

Learn best by seeing and doing - I've got to see it in action before it will sync in.
    Excellent analytical thinker - Troubleshooting is child's play.
    Dry/Sarcastic humor - Constantly joking to avoid real conversations.
    Great awareness - Usually I know what's going on when no one else does.
    Can only focus on one thing at a time - I can't juggle tasks (or balls for that matter).
    Extremely private - Leave me alone, I'll let you in when I'm ready.
    Poker face always present - It's not intentional, showing emotion doesn't come naturally to me.
    Socially retarded - My jaw gets tired if I talk for more than a couple of minutes.
    Very observant - I can remember lots of details, but I can't ever remember names.
    Easily annoyed - I don't want to hear about what you watched last night.
    Take everything literally - I know you were trying to make a joke, but that is unrealistic. Seriously.
    Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions - I'm the king of turnovers in sports, but I'm good at chess.
    Procrastinates - Why do it now, it can be done later.
    Selfish - Helping others is an energy drain.
    No style - I put no thought into what I wear. Usually I wear gray to avoid standing out.
    Hate cleaning - Why make your bed, you just got to do it again tomorrow. A total waist of time.
    Health conscientious - Would probably get really depressed if I let myself go.

I'm interested to know if there are other hermits like me out there. If you ISTJ's got some traits to add, post them. I'd like to compare.
    I fully agree with Scrooge- I mean, Fishingdude, sorry! - except on a couple things:

1) I really do enjoy helping people- even in the smallest ways (but you have to make sure your not being taken advantage of)

2) I have a fairly good sense of humor, I just don't use it much (the poker face is always on!)

3) As far as style, I don't really care, but usually I have a bad habit of picking out dull colors- oh, AND I have definitley been scolded more than once for not "matching"
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    LoLz

Manipulation definitely isn't one of my traits. I need to work on it. My ESFJ sister asked me to help get on Facebook. I showed her a little, but she never created user name. Tonight, I jokingly told her, "You apparently weren't social enough to get us invited to a Thanksgiving party. That's what I get for using you through Facebook!" I think she took that too seriously. ><

MBTI
    TiSe

Learn best by seeing and doing – Absolutely. It’s called learning from hands on experience. I guess Si dominant types can do it, but I have heard it referenced to Se/Ne types mostly. Contrary to belief Ti combined with Se/Ne must have this because their holistic and body based.
    Excellent analytical thinker - Troubleshooting is what I do and that comes from the combo of Ti-Se.
    Dry/Sarcastic humor – Absolutely. In fact my sarcasm can really offend others.
    Great awareness – This is Se(and as I learned today from Sarah) combined with Ni.
    Can only focus on one thing at a time – There is a difference in multitasking and wanting to at least complete a big portion of something before moving on. Again people who still see type in rudimentary principles do not realize that Se dominant types (ESP) need organization as well. This again is Se from my understanding.
    Extremely private – A given.
    Poker face always present - This is the first of your examples that does not fit me completely. I can be poker face, but I don’t try to hide my enthusiasm when highly interested in a topic.
    Socially retarded – Does not fit me.
    Very observant – Consider the phrase. Observant implies an extraverted activity, not introverted. It’s also something that sensing types in general does. This is again Se at it’s finest, unless something has your attention internally (ISPs).
    Easily annoyed – Yep and again someone who uses Fe would be the opposite in my opinion so I think this could be a Ti trait.
    Take everything literally – When using Ti too much and not allowing my Ni to support my Se (again thanks Sarah).
    Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions – However as you gain more experience the errors improve unless you’re just bored out of your wits. Now your example of chess is definitely not my game.
    Procrastinates – Not necessarily, however it can appear like procrastination to others when I am not sure of where we’re going or further information is needed (my Se is failing to feed my Ti)
    Selfish – Now that is an ISTJ thing but they are not intentionally being selfish, just self absorbed and does not realize how they are affecting others. Oh yeah, personalitypage.com says that is a Ti thing (I’m in denial).
    No style - I do have style, but I am wearing black and gray as I write this. It’s stylish, but I do not stand out. In fact I rarely wear bright colors.
    Hate cleaning – Need my environment to look aesthetically presentable.
    Health conscientious – I would say that is an ISTJ thing and a Guardian trait in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Heh...I'm sorta stuck between ISTP and ISTJ..which I've come to find out are very different personalities...but I got both. XD
    Good, I wondered when someone would finally determine that what is being alluded to is less an ISTJ thing and more an IST thing. I fit about 95% of it.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

So many ISTJ procrastinators, I'm confused now. Aren't ISTJs supposed to procrastinate the least ?

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    So many ISTJ procrastinators, I'm confused now. Aren't ISTJs supposed to procrastinate the least ?
    No, we're just the most efficient with the time we do use. My thinking goes like this, "I can do X task now and I will over critique it to death (via perfectionism), or I could do it at the last minute, just as well, and it be satisfactory."
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
    --Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

Nothing is worse than active ignorance.
    --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    --Isaac Asimov

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ArbiterDewey View Post
    No, we're just the most efficient with the time we do use. My thinking goes like this, "I can do X task now and I will over critique it to death (via perfectionism), or I could do it at the last minute, just as well, and it be satisfactory."
    I agree. We are good at time management. When it comes to tasks, we prioritize. If it is something we don't like or don't want to do, it is probably going to be the victim of procrastination.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    I

Hi, I'm curious to know if I'm unique or just another personality type. I don't know any other ISTJs, so maybe ya'll can help me. Are the following traits unique to me, or do they apply to all ISTJ's?
    I'll fill them in myself now:

Learn best by seeing and doing - Definitely me.

Excellent analytical thinker - Yeah, I always break things down in a simple manner, and analyze it from there. Why do it in a complicated way if you can keep it simple?

Dry/Sarcastic humor - I'm more a witty humor guy. Not so much dry sarcasm.

Great awareness - Eh, average.

Can only focus on one thing at a time - I can't multitask that well.

Extremely private - Yeah, I don't need a lot of interaction at all. I do need to move around sometimes though.

Poker face always present - I don't show much emotion.

Socially retarded - Yes, somewhat.

Very observant - I can remember details yes, but sometimes I miss things.

Easily annoyed - Sometimes. I usually don't want to listen to something just because someone is trying to make conversation.

Take everything literally - Yeah, usually.

Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions - I don't know about this one.

Procrastinates - I try not to, but I end up procrastinating a little.

Selfish - I'm naturally selfish, and have a "Survival of the Fittest" attitude.

No style - I don't really care what I wear, as long as it's comfortable enough.

Hate cleaning - I don't like to clean, but I know I should do it to get dust and stuff out.

Health conscientious - I always wash my hands before meals in order to not get germs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Eh, ISTPs are very anti-authority, spontaneous, anti-structure, play before work, adventurous...that type of thing. Whereas the ISTJs are all structure, schedule, ..and etc.

I've somehow managed to fall imbetween the two... Probably because I was raised in a very structured atmosphere... So methinks I can switch between the two types depending on the situation...but I think that I tend to prefer the ISTP way more than the ISTJ when given the choice...
    I know exactly what you mean, I'm the same way.
    Last edited by NewEra; 02-15-2009 at 07:26 PM.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Learn best by seeing and doing - Yes, this is absolutely true. That's why I'm having hard time with the math at university, since it isn't really applicable in practice.
    Excellent analytical thinker - Yes, I think I'm rather good at this.
    Dry/Sarcastic humor - I do joke a lot. I don't make a number of it, but I just keep telling funny remarks and twisting words people say. I also love putting sentences into a new context.
    Great awareness - Well, I spend a lot of time watching how other people react at things. But generally I'm too introvert to notice everything.
    Can only focus on one thing at a time - This only goes when I'm obsessed about something. For instance, if I've bought a TV-series DVD-box, I can spent the next 12 hours watching it, ignoring anything else around me. And generally I don't multitask very well. I can't chat with 3+ people at the same time.
    Extremely private - Yes, that I am. I keep my inner self just for myself. Others can only see the "gray n' dull" shell.
    Poker face always present - I have a feeling that I don't use facial expressions much when I'm having a conversation. They require extra concentration and effort.
    Socially retarded - I don't talk to strangers. I can't really carry on a good conversation with more than 3 persons present. Lack of multi-tasking and being somewhat of a control freak about my personality requires too much time and effort.
    Very observant - I pay a great amount of attention to details.
    Easily annoyed - Only when there's something illogical going on, or I don't understand why something is done as it is done. Math is a great example. I hate it because I don't understand why they can't use ordinary characters and words instead of those cryptic greek/etc. characters.
    Take everything literally - I used to, but I've got rid of it almost completely. But I still think sometimes that "see you later!" really means that. I don't understand people who say things that they don't mean.
    Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions - Don't know. Not really.
    Procrastinates - Yes, I do this often. Luckily, I seem to work greatly under stress. I can work 12-14 hours a day, if deadline is coming, while I have difficulty to even start working if there is no deadline.
    Selfish - I don't actively help people, but I can share what I have if someone asks. I do favors for free, though...
    No style - I'm not spending my money on cloths, but I try to choose cloths that fit me, and look lean. I try to avoid looking nerdy or dirty. I prefer earthly colors.
    Hate cleaning - Yes. I don't clean, unless it's absolutely necessary. I always have more dirty dishes that clean ones.
    Health conscientious - Well, I try to eat health as long as it's effortless. I hate cooking.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

This thread supports the hypothesis that ISTJ's are really under-developed INTJ's. (Muahahaa)

Learn best by seeing and doing – CHECK
    Excellent analytical thinker - CHECK
    Dry/Sarcastic humor – CHECK
    Great awareness – OK NOT CHECK ON THIS ONE
    Can only focus on one thing at a time – OR THIS ONE
    Extremely private – CHECK
    Poker face always present - CHECK
    Socially retarded – CHECK
    Very observant – NOT CHECK
    Easily annoyed – CHECK
    Take everything literally – CHECK
    Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions – ... NOT CHECK
    Procrastinates – CHECK
    Selfish – CHECK
    No style - CHECK
    Hate cleaning – I think everyone hates cleaning...
    Health conscientious – ... CHECK (... when it suits me.)
    Embrace the possibilities.

Very observant - I can remember lots of details, but I can't ever remember names.
    Bingo. It sucks too.

Dry/Sarcastic humor – Most of us seem to share a similar sense of humor.
    Is it a ISTJ trait to hate slapstick and absurd comedies? Because I sure do.